• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

kaskade

Finally checked one of these out at a Best Buy, I was about 90% sure I was going to get one but now I definitely will once Apple comes out with their back to school program.

120hz felt great and the screen is gorgeous. I never really used the original pro so I can't compare but the Pencil was awesome, especially with that procreate app. I'm by no means an artist but it was really fun with all the different brushes. Sucks that the smart keyboard is so expensive but to me it's the nicest solution and the keys didn't feel bad once I typed a bit and got used to the size. I've seen that logitech one but it feels like it's be so bulky and take away from the aesthetics of the iPad itself.

The 12.9 felt pretty big to me so I think I'm just going to get the 10.5 since I'll probably be using it on the couch pretty often and the 12.9 doesn't seem very one handable.

ESBL

Apple Back to School Sale, free Beats X, gonna pick up my iPad tomorrow. Question. Should I spring for the cellular model? I have free hotspot on my cell phone but I have a 200mb tablet data line.

Apple Back to School Sale, free Beats X, gonna pick up my iPad tomorrow. Question. Should I spring for the cellular model? I have free hotspot on my cell phone but I have a 200mb tablet data line.

I sprung for the cellular model for the first time. It’s been useful in a couple of moments, but honestly I got it for the better find my iPad if I ever lose it

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm about to enroll back to a CC this year how do I get the student discount?. Just show them my registration or something?.

kaskade

I bought mine earlier this morning and it's already going to be here tomorrow. I already have AirPods so I'll probably just sell the beats on eBay or something, hopefully before it's flooded with them.

ESBL

I'm about to enroll back to a CC this year how do I get the student discount?. Just show them my registration or something?.

Honestly; I never had to show them ID, they really don't care for the most part. Especially since its only a $20 discount.

Going to go with the space grey 256gb WiFi model tomorrow.

mokeyjoe

Can I ask, how the does writing with the Pencil "feel" with these? I'm a writer and I like to print up manuscripts and edit by pen, but I'm trying to cut down on paper. I tried doing editing on my iPad Air 2 but it really felt bad, so I'm wondering if the Pro is a better bet.

I spend a lot of time annotating pdfs for my Phone, so this was a real selling point for me.

It feels pretty natural, but not like paper. More like a tiny whiteboard, as it's glossy. Or like writing on a glass table with a hard fibre tipped pen. Importantly, it does feel like writing, there is zero lag and the screen is the best you'll find anywhere.

My handwriting looks identical to when I write on paper, and there's no extra fatigue or fiddliness.

Honestly, it's superior to paper for annotation, as you can delete and undo, move things around, zoom in and out etc. Personally, I think for this sort of workflow it's the best productivity tool. It's a different beast from a regular iPad.

Fox1304

Can I ask, how the does writing with the Pencil "feel" with these? I'm a writer and I like to print up manuscripts and edit by pen, but I'm trying to cut down on paper. I tried doing editing on my iPad Air 2 but it really felt bad, so I'm wondering if the Pro is a better bet.

I found it phenomenal. I had two Microsoft Surface in the past, and they just can't compare.
No lag, feels very natural. I just couldn't write efficiently and in a satisfying way on the Surface, but with iPad there was just nothing preventing it, so it felt very natural immediately.
A great experience for me.

My handwriting on an iPad Pro is MY handwriting. It’s essentially 1:1 with what I do on paper. Which is A) very impressive and speaks to the strengths of the tech, and B) is bad because my handwriting is atrocious

ESBL

Man I am loving this iPad Pro. Thinking about putting IOS 11 on when I get home. Sold my Beats X to a coworker so I can get the pencil now.

kaskade

Finally got it all set up, haven't used an iPad since the mini retina 2 and god damn. This this is fast. I got a pencil but I think I need a Smart Keyboard and I could see myself using this instead of my MacBook Air pretty often. I'm tempted to put iOS 11 on it but I think I might wait another version or two before I do it.

Right now I'm just getting used to used to the change in workflow and all that. I should be good in a few days.

Been banging my head over this but yeah, is it worth upgrading to the iPad Pro 10.5 from an Air 2? Has anyone done it yet? I'm on the Air 2 for the last three years and been debating on an update for the past month. The only thing that has been holding my back is the lack of a radical new design. I was hoping for some major changes like perhaps getting rid of the Home button completely, even better resolution, introducing Hpatic feedback etc.

Worth it? Should I or wait for the next redesign/iteration?

j-wood

Do you have to buy the ipad pro from apple to get the beats deal? I bought an ipad pro from best buy last month :(

EDIT: Ah shame, looks like only if you are in school :/

j-wood

Been banging my head over this but yeah, is it worth upgrading to the iPad Pro 10.5 from an Air 2? Has anyone done it yet? I'm on the Air 2 for the last three years and been debating on an update for the past month. The only thing that has been holding my back is the lack of a radical new design. I was hoping for some major changes like perhaps getting rid of the Home button completely, even better resolution, introducing Hpatic feedback etc.

Worth it? Should I or wait for the next redesign/iteration?

I updated from the Air 2 and it was definitely worth it. I am using this for drawing and note taking though.

I updated from the Air 2 and it was definitely worth it. I am using this for drawing and note taking though.

Ah! I mostly use it for browsing, videos, music and some gaming. If I was using the Pencil, I wouldn't even have to think twice, but since I am not and won't be, why the confusion.

mokeyjoe

Ah! I mostly use it for browsing, videos, music and some gaming. If I was using the Pencil, I wouldn't even have to think twice, but since I am not and won't be, why the confusion.

I guess it depends on you, but I think the Pro is overkill for that stuff. Any old iPad can do that. Why spend double the amount?

kaskade

My Smart Keyboard came in and I love this thing. It definitely makes the thing feel more laptop like. The multitasking is already fast on iOS10 that I can't imagine using it with iOS 11. Just the dock and the drag and dropping will do wonders.

I really wish YouTube would add PiP. Not the iPad's fault but it would be a little better than trying to wait it on the 1/4 screen. It's pretty great being able to watch something on Hulu or Netflix, have twitter open on the side while browsing Safari. This feels like the iPad I always wanted.

ESBL

Ordered a Apple Pencil through Costco, took off like $8 or something, still $8 for pizza!

EDIT: Scratch that, need to return my Costco order, bought one from Staples for $75.25. Staples has a promo of $25 off $100+ if you use Visa checkout, threw in a box of pens for $1.25 and got $25 off. So that's $20 after taxes saved for pizza!

Honestly, pretty disappointed/underwhelmed with the iPad. For all the praise it gets and iOS gets it's a pretty disappointing user experience. EVERYTHING lags when trying to recognize what's going on. Even during set up when clicking next it just sits there for a couple seconds where you're unsure if it even registered your button press. It seems to struggle really bad downloading more than one thing at a time, you have to press the home button but it seems incapable of understanding whether it's for Siri or unlocking. The tablet will be black and there's a 50/50 shot it just brings up Siri instead so you have to back out and try again...

This is a worse user experience than my old Nexus 5 and that's like 4+ years old at this point and on top of this it's their "pro" line that's supposed to be so good it replaces a laptop. Really really disappointing given the price and usability.

Aiii

So not worth it
It is hard to take your critisism seriously when one of your main complaints is that you can’t differentiate between a quick and a long press.

Guess Who

Banned
Honestly, pretty disappointed/underwhelmed with the iPad. For all the praise it gets and iOS gets it's a pretty disappointing user experience. EVERYTHING lags when trying to recognize what's going on. Even during set up when clicking next it just sits there for a couple seconds where you're unsure if it even registered your button press. It seems to struggle really bad downloading more than one thing at a time, you have to press the home button but it seems incapable of understanding whether it's for Siri or unlocking. The tablet will be black and there's a 50/50 shot it just brings up Siri instead so you have to back out and try again...

This is a worse user experience than my old Nexus 5 and that's like 4+ years old at this point and on top of this it's their "pro" line that's supposed to be so good it replaces a laptop. Really really disappointing given the price and usability.

I have a non-Pro 2017 iPad and this is not my experience at all.

Did you accidentally buy an iPad 3? Because I have a 10.5 and this could not be further from the case, even on the beta-riffic iOS11

I have a non-Pro 2017 iPad and this is not my experience at all.

Did you accidentally buy an iPad 3? Because I have a 10.5 and this could not be further from the case, even on the beta-riffic iOS11

Unless it just takes a lot trying to load settings and stuff? I'm not sure but there's definitely been a delays so far when I go to do things.

It is hard to take your critisism seriously when one of your main complaints is that you can't differentiate between a quick and a long press.

Cool.

Two other questions:

1. Is there a good site/thread of apps I should look at for it? I downloaded the stuff I use on android but I'm sure iOS has a much more robust store still than android.

2. What are the general opinions of the smart keyboard? I'm sort of tempted to get it but it has a pretty big price tag on it so I'm not sure it's worth getting that over just a smart cover/case.

Shearie

Two other questions:

2. What are the general opinions of the smart keyboard? I'm sort of tempted to get it but it has a pretty big price tag on it so I'm not sure it's worth getting that over just a smart cover/case.

I love the Smart Keyboard. It's nice to type on, it's easy to take the iPad on and off it, you can easily switch it from type mode to flat and back (although that's a little bit of a learning experience at first), it's super sturdy when tapping the iPad in type mode, Smart connector is much better than Bluetooth connection.

I love the Smart Keyboard. It's nice to type on, it's easy to take the iPad on and off it, you can easily switch it from type mode to flat and back (although that's a little bit of a learning experience at first), it's super sturdy when tapping the iPad in type mode, Smart connector is much better than Bluetooth connection.

Do you only use it to type when on a desk/table? I guess my only hesitation is that I had an old surface and with only having one angle for the screen that it usually makes it more annoying to type using the keyboard than typing with your fingers because it never feels sturdy on your lap or pretty much anywhere that isn't a table.

Shearie

Do you only use it to type when on a desk/table? I guess my only hesitation is that I had an old surface and with only having one angle for the screen that it usually makes it more annoying to type using the keyboard than typing with your fingers because it never feels sturdy on your lap or pretty much anywhere that isn't a table.

I'm not someone who likes typing with a laptop or tablet on my lap at all since I think it's super uncomfortable to crane my neck down for long periods of time. Almost all of my keyboard typing is on some kind of flat surface. There were a few times where I had to type something fast and there was no table for me so I used my iPad Pro laptop style. It's sturdy for me on the lap but I had to keep my legs really close together since I have the 9.7" Pro and the viewing angle that far down and close to you isn't great but it's usable. It's better viewing angle wise with it being flat on your lap but then you only get the software keyboard.

ESBL

I got the Khomo case for my 10.5 and it almost looks like an Apple made product because it matches perfectly with the Smart Keyboard. I'm really enjoying this transition from MBP --> iPad Pro

kaskade

Yeah, I definitely recommend the smart keyboard. It's expensive but I'm a sucker for having my stuff matching aesthetically. Most of the other keyboards make the setup look like some cheap netbook. Plus the ability to easily remove the cover if I'm just holding it one handed on the couch while not typing is nice too.

SOLDIER

Can anyone tell me what the MPN/Model Number is for the newest iPad models?

Trying to find a third party seller to avoid FL tax, but I want to make sure I'm not bidding on an older model by mistake (even though some sellers claim it's the newest one).

Top Bottom