• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Deku Tree

This is a crazy subjective question, but is it worth buying he 2017 12.9" over the 2015 12.9" if you're not a graphics artist or illustrator? Like, if I'm going to read comics, do some drawing, word and excel stuff, some CAD, and game on it?

Faster processor, 120hz, True Tone display, newer one will surely work better with future augmented reality games

mrklaw

MrArseFace
reading up on bluetooth keyboard options. k380 and logitech keys-to-go both sound good. k380 looks like a better typing experience but twice the weight and bulkier.

surprised logitech hasn't made an ipad smart cover with keys-to-go built in

Lo-Volt

This is a crazy subjective question, but is it worth buying he 2017 12.9" over the 2015 12.9" if you're not a graphics artist or illustrator? Like, if I'm going to read comics, do some drawing, word and excel stuff, some CAD, and game on it?

I think, as a general rule, buy as much technology as you can afford in your budget. And the ProMotion alone would make reading... anything a great experience, never mind comic panels. I was 50:50 on buying the new Pro to replace my MacBook until I walked into the store and saw someone scrolling on it. It's a subtle but pervasive improvement for all of the things that rely on visual interaction.

That aside: I really miss the colorful smart back panel covers. Apple's really into lux and margins and that's clear with that $130 leather sleeve, but those silicon covers were great for mixing and matching.

//ARCANUM

I just go with the apple Smart Cover. Was annoyed they don't do a product red version for the 10.5 though. The software keyboard is a pretty nice size in landscape for natural typing, or you could consider something like the canopy which is designed to work with the apple magic keyboard and converts into an iPad stand. Or just a separate Bluetooth keyboard like the Logitech k380. I guess the Smart Keyboard has the advantage of always being at your fingertips so requires no thought to just start typing, but the price is egregious to me.

I am looking for a sleeve to protect when it's in a bag so would appreciate any recommendations.

DONT get this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKJN8BH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Doesn't fit right. It's a shame cause I like the design but they obviously just took the 9.7" sleeve and put 10.5"'on the name. I'd love to know if you end up getting something you like.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So you're saying that the Apple keyboardis really the best option? Lame.

I think I just want the option of a slim/adjustable stand that I can sit on the lap. Don't even care anymore if I use a wireless keyboard with it.

As a cover it's ok.

As a stand it's absolute garbage.

As a keyboard it's utterly wonderful.

Totally subjective of course but the tactile feel and response are my favorite ever. Before that it was Apple extended chicken wired aluminum.

reKon

Banned
As a cover it's ok.

Totally subjective of course but the tactile feel and response are my favorite ever. Before that it was Apple extended chicken wired aluminum.

I'd definitely go the separate bluetooth keyboard route. I honestly wish that Apple just copied the Google Pixel C's implementation of using a magnetic keyboard/screen cover. It's pretty brilliant.

What I'm tying to decide is what I whether I just want a slim case with adjustable viewing angles or just get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D856NOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If I'm using this on my lap, then I'm likely not using a keyboard so this is why I don't really care as much for the official case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As a cover it's ok.

You have the 12.9? The 9.7 is way too cramped if you're a touch typer. The 10.5 feels almost acceptable but still a little tight. Not a fan of how solid and dead the keys feel though. Favourite ever is strong words.

^ oops yes mistyping

Number45

Still thinking of picking this up as a sleeve/pouch for the pro for when it's in my work bag. Can't see any other options that aren't unnecessarily expensive at the moment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I didn't realise if you have a Bluetooth keyboard connected, you don't get an on-screen keyboard appear. Makes a big difference without half the screen covered up. I was going to try and compare the onscreen keyboard on the 10.5 with my Nintendo Pokemon keyboard. Instead you get a little touch bar for spelling suggestions and copy/paste. Although this feels a little narrow, I can type fairly well with it. It's slightly wider than the iPad so I wonder how it compares with the Smart Keyboard size.

Stinkles

You have the 12.9? The 9.7 is way too cramped if you're a touch typer. The 10.5 feels almost acceptable but still a little tight. Not a fan of how solid and dead the keys feel though. Favourite ever is strong words.

^ oops yes mistyping

Yes, 12.9 - I agree if you knocked two or three inches off this thing it would suck. The deadness - I wonder if it's actually different, or if you're experiencing th e same thing I subjectively love, and you hate?

If I could describe it, it's enough travel so that you feel the keys bottom out with a dull thud of a ballpien hammer striking a crater full of soft leather swatches, but spring back towards your fingers like an eager lover reaching for a second kiss.

Or should I lay off the Laudanum and Absinthe this early on a Sunday?

Also, while I CAN touch type on a dare, I'm actually and advanced hunt and pecker, since seeing the keys appears to be part of my typing process, so I can hunt and peck at about 80 WPM. It looks bizarre.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anyone have good screen protector recommendations? All I’m looking for is a matte one to give the Pencil a bit of friction and to be as clear as possible.

SourBear

Banned
Anyone have good screen protector recommendations? All I’m looking for is a matte one to give the Pencil a bit of friction and to be as clear as possible.

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159Q74X0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B12TSW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have personal experience with the last one. I love it. Gives the pencil good grip on the screen. It applied without much fuss. The difference between the two is the first one is apparently easier to "line up" when you first apply it.

Be warned though - these type of protectors do alter the image of the screen a little bit. I've personally gotten used to it and think the added benefit it gives with the pencil far outweighs the downsides.

Couldn't find an iPad thread so thought I'd ask here...

iPads are only updated once a year right? I was eyeing up the "iPad" model and I see it was just updated in March so just wanted to make sure that they don't get little bumps like the laptops would get 2x a year. I don't think they do but I never really had a use for an ipad until now.

Also, I'm assuming chromecast and such all works on ipads?

How is connecting the ipad to a tv via HDMI work? Is it relatively seamless and bug free? I'm looking to play movies on the ipad on a big screen when staying at Hotels and such.

Thinking about getting something like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yep, that’ll work exactly as expected

Couldn't find an iPad thread so thought I'd ask here...

iPads are only updated once a year right? I was eyeing up the "iPad" model and I see it was just updated in March so just wanted to make sure that they don't get little bumps like the laptops would get 2x a year. I don't think they do but I never really had a use for an ipad until now.

Also, I'm assuming chromecast and such all works on ipads?

Generally once a year, yes. I can’t imagine the iPad getting updated again so soon. And chromecast works in any app that supports it, there is no system level support

Yep, that’ll work exactly as expected

Generally once a year, yes. I can’t imagine the iPad getting updated again so soon. And chromecast works in any app that supports it, there is no system level support

I think that's the same then... I always click the icon in the app on my android phone and it streams.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just normal video streaming stuff, off the top of my head but not an exhaustive list is like youtube, mlb atbat, netflix, hulu, etc. Mostly just use it to stream shows and sports.

If it has Chromecast support on Android, it will have support on iOS, it is as simple as calling on the Chromecast api at that point for the dev. The only thing you lose is casting from browser.

One last question, does ios allow you to separate permission requests by app and by function to accept or reject them like android or does it force you to allow all permissions an app asks for?

Stinkles

One last question, does ios allow you to separate permission requests by app and by function to accept or reject them like android or does it force you to allow all permissions an app asks for?

Some apps feed you separate requests - location, then address book, for example.

Some apps feed you separate requests - location, then address book, for example.

So it doesn't do it an OS level, it depends on if the app lets you separate permissions? Or am I misunderstanding you? In android you can go into settings, click and app and then toggle on/off all the permissions the app asks of you.

Aiii

So not worth it
So it doesn't do it an OS level, it depends on if the app lets you separate permissions? Or am I misunderstanding you? In android you can go into settings, click and app and then toggle on/off all the permissions the app asks of you.

Andoid copied iOS in this recently, so it works exactly the same, the app will request access to a function when it calls upon it for the first time. Settings for the app do the same.
img_9157z2shi.jpg

Andoid copied iOS in this recently, so it works exactly the same, the app will request access to a function when it calls upon it for the first time.

Cool, and second photo here is what I was referencing where they go to settings for amazon and it lists all the permissions and allows you to toggle. I was hoping they'd both have the same thing but haven't had iOS in quite a few years. Thanks!

Edit: Yup, your picture is what I was thinking of. Sweet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it has Chromecast support on Android, it will have support on iOS, it is as simple as calling on the Chromecast api at that point for the dev. The only thing you lose is casting from browser.

OMG it so isn't. (Spoken from horrific flashbacks of getting iOS and android apps updated for chrome cast support)

Stinkles

Each app gets its own listing in settings/notifications and you can adjust from there, but usually when you first run the app it will ask you to enable/disable those features. App level with OS component.

Edit. Beaten like a Pippin console.

ESBL

Got to play with the iPad Pro 10.5 at the Apple Store, man that screen is definitely something else. I think I'll wait for Apple's back to school promo to pick one up, hopefully its a Apple Store gift card. That 12" Macbook keeps looking at me though, tough decisions are to be made.

Draper

I really need to test out the new OS to see if it can replace my laptop as my daily driver. If not, I'm gonna return the 10.5. So that only gives me a 15 day window. Should I just suck it up and try the dev release?

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, I have a question.

I had a MacBook Pro, but I sold it. It was a bit too expensive for me. I am thinking of getting an Ipad Pro 12 inch, but can you do coding on it ? I am thinking of getting a keyboard as well.

I want something where I can carry around and play around learning Python as it will be my first language. Python ... Java... etc.

Thanks

Hey guys, I have a question.

I had a MacBook Pro, but I sold it. It was a bit too expensive for me. I am thinking of getting an Ipad Pro 12 inch, but can you do coding on it ? I am thinking of getting a keyboard as well.

I want something where I can carry around and play around learning Python as it will be my first language. Python ... Java... etc.

Thanks

Which MacBook Pro? I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar, but it's a little expensive for me to justify keeping it for basic web browsing, music, emails, iMessage, etc. Basic level use, I never get used to using the full potential for having an i7 and that graphic cards in a laptop, which can't really game well.

I am also considering selling it and getting a new 12.9" iPad Pro for those uses.

Max_Po

Banned
Which MacBook Pro? I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar, but it's a little expensive for me to justify keeping it for basic web browsing, music, emails, iMessage, etc. Basic level use, I never get used to using the full potential for having an i7 and that graphic cards in a laptop, which can't really game well.

I am also considering selling it and getting a new 12.9" iPad Pro for those uses.

Yes, I have a 2016 - 15 inch model w/ Touch bar and 256 gig HDD. I am glad I sold it for the cost price. ....

8bit

Knows the Score
Yes, 12.9 - I agree if you knocked two or three inches off this thing it would suck. The deadness - I wonder if it's actually different, or if you're experiencing th e same thing I subjectively love, and you hate?

If I could describe it, it's enough travel so that you feel the keys bottom out with a dull thud of a ballpien hammer striking a crater full of soft leather swatches, but spring back towards your fingers like an eager lover reaching for a second kiss.

Or should I lay off the Laudanum and Absinthe this early on a Sunday?

Also, while I CAN touch type on a dare, I'm actually and advanced hunt and pecker, since seeing the keys appears to be part of my typing process, so I can hunt and peck at about 80 WPM. It looks bizarre.

Just cosigning the love for the 12.9 magic Apple keyboard, it's incredibly comfortable to type on.

Stinkles

Just cosigning the love for the 12.9 magic Apple keyboard, it's incredibly comfortable to type on.

I honestly wish they'd make a bluetooth or standalone version of it with those keys. Extended keyboard would be even better, then I could use at my PC.

Pifje

Just ordered the 10.5 Space Gray Wifi only 64 Gb version.

My iPad 3 with 16 Gb that has got cracked screen, twisted home button, dampened speaker and very slow performance is going to feel like total garbage after this, I bet.

Number45

Just ordered the 10.5 Space Gray Wifi only 64 Gb version.

My iPad 3 with 16 Gb that has got cracked screen, twisted home button, dampened speaker and very slow performance is going to feel like total garbage after this, I bet.
I've just made this almost exact same move (iPad3 64GB) and you're in for a wonderful experience!

What's the likelihood of Apple making a 10.5 silicone case like they did with the 9.7 pro? They seem to be pushing the leather sleeve and it comes in horrendous colors that are not feminine.

What's the likelihood of Apple making a 10.5 silicone case like they did with the 9.7 pro? They seem to be pushing the leather sleeve and it comes in horrendous colors that are not feminine.

Normally I would say a good chance but they still have yet to make one for the iPad 2017 so who knows

//ARCANUM

Hey all, i just picked up an apple Smart Keyboard to go with my 10.5 pro, i like it so far. I'm a little worried about its longevity though. The "hinge" part is just so damn thin and I'm worried its gonna somehow easily tear at some point, or the glue is gonna come undone and peel away from the connecting part and just make it all floppy (I've seen this happen to a friend's 12.9" Smart Cover. Granted, I don't know how careful he was with it, but it ruined the stability of the cover). I'm very careful with my electronics, and I understand the smart covers will suffer some wear with time, but this is a Smart Cover with a $160 keyboard jammed in, I would rather not have it look like trash or operate poorly in a year from now.

Can anyone comment on the quality of theirs a year after owning one? (Either the 9.7 or 12.9?)

Thanks!

O.DOGG

Comics on that thing look gorgeous. There are times I miss the 12.9 size but I’m 98% happy with the smaller ones

I've been the exact opposite. A couple of months ago I got a 12.9 Pro coming from an Air 1. I don't ever want to go back to that smaller screen again. I can't wait to get my new Pro 12.9 next week!

Top Bottom