• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

rekameohs

Banned
The notch is the dumbest aesthetic thing Apple's done in a long time, and they could've just fixed it by making the OLED black around there.

MedIC86

Damn prices are up in europe store

64 1159€
256 €1329

yeah im gonna pass...i really wanted it, but this is way to much for a phone.

a916

8+

Same processor as the X
Same GPU as the X
Same rear camera as the X
Same wireless charging as the X
Likely similar battery life as the X since they didn't mention anything
TouchID > FaceID (although TouchID + FaceID would be better)
Extra color

Sounds like a winner to me.

OLED's are supposed ot be more efficient, since they turn the pixel off and have no back lighting... no? Someone correct me though.

Dany

Banned
I downgraded to a 32GB for the 7 and started using Amazon Prime photos.

So I just store all of my photos in the cloud now.

I back all of mine up to the icloud and also have google photos account. So I guess I should just be okay with downloading old photos whenever I wanna look at them.

finalflame

I love Apple and all, but are you serious with this? I'd like to believe no one was impressed by this, it was very poorly done.

I'm always consistently impressed with how Apple hardware and software marry seamlessly and make for absolutely the best user experiences in the mobile space, whether it be the iPhone or the iPad. And I come from a background of working with just about every single Android device in a software QA engineering background.

Simply put, the harmony that exists when Apple puts out a product and implements a technology on the hardware side whilst maintaining full control of the software simply cannot be beat by the absolute shit control Google has over the Android ecosystem and how OEMs bastardize it with their "customization".

The Pixel is a step in the right direction and I look forward to the Pixel 2, but Apple has been doing this, literally, for a decade. They have a leg up, and the X is the ultimate manifestation of that.

CoLaN

I will stick to my s8 plus, im not sure what i expected but while the iPhone X looks good, it doesnt bring anything that makes me want to switch for this year.

I know it may sound stupid, but the only thing i really want are those damn animated emojis, they look too good, lol.

edit: €1189 €, holy shit

jstripes

Banned
Well, I'm going to avoid iPhone threads across the web for the rest of the day. It's going to be a full-on bitch fest that people didn't get exactly what they wanted.

MicH

How much bigger is the X compared to the 8 Plus? I saw the screen is bigger but is that just due to more screen space and less bezels?

I wish they would update the SE. Holding into my 6 for another year...

Ovid

I don't know why one would buy iphone 8 at those prices. Between 7 and X like that, what's the point.

I'm on the opposite end of that discussion. Why would anyone pay for the X when you could get an 8?

However, if they never introduced the 8 and just sold the X for $800 then that's a different ballgame. But what do I know.

Now that hype levels are down. I think I’ll wait for the iphone X-2 next year. It should have OLED and Touch ID built into the screen according to rumors.

Eh. Gives me time to save up some paper route money.

I knew this was you.

s9fDyjH.png

You owe me like so much money.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
iPhone 8 and 8+: 2015 design.
iPhone X: starts at $1,000

No headphone jack, no expandable storage.

No thank you, Apple.

After that I feel fine about not getting the X and have to put up with weird teething Troubles and the price. The 8 seems like a great product still, same processors and mostly the same camera.

256Gb iPhone 8 Plus Space gray for me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck, iPhone 8 went up £100!?

£599 for 7, £699 for 8.

Ok fuck off £999 for the X? Seriously?

I might actually go with a cheap 7 as people offload them and come back if sanity prevails next year

number11

So the main difference with the X is the screen and face ID right? The 8 is virtually the same with minor spec bumps?

Yea I'm sticking with my 7.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
1000 dollars over 2 years is 10 dollars more per month f you have iup .

I upgrade phones every year. That's almost nothing in the grand scheme of things:

The X was exactly what everyone expected it to be based on the leaks, for both the good reasons and the bad ones. Now it's just a matter of how each person weighs those positives and negatives. To me, I've had this 6+ for long enough that it's starting to get on its last legs and I need an upgrade. And I've used Android devices in the past and I'm not a huge fan of the ecosystem, so swapping across is not an option I'm considering. And so when looking at the 8 compared to the X, I think I'm gonna go with the X.

avaya

The stock was down because the leaks were real so some were anticipating the other leaks indicating a partial to delayed launch.

The 8 should be called the 7S, and the X should be the true iPhone 8 (released one year from now). I guess they used the 'glass back' as an excuse to skip the S.

Still I'm getting a 8+ aka 7S+ once the demand calms down.

mid83

8+

Same processor as the X
Same GPU as the X
Same rear camera as the X
Same wireless charging as the X
Likely similar battery life as the X since they didn't mention anything
TouchID > FaceID (although TouchID + FaceID would be better)
Extra color

Sounds like a winner to me.

Yeah, I was expecting better hardware in the X. It really makes the 8 plus look like the real winner in my opinion. Plus, the late release date is going to be a deal breaker for all the people on annual upgrade plans who aren't going to want to waste another couple months making payments waiting to upgrade.

I want an OLED screen but the edge to edge screen is completely killed by the notch at the top. Those full screen videos and games look awful with it. Plus, the lack of Touch ID hurts too.

Hopefully another year will get kinks worked out, touchID back, and I hope they rethink the notch at the top and make the top edge of the screen symmetrical next year.

geeko

I really wish they hadn't dropped the 128gb sizes. 64gb feels too small and 256gb is a bit overkill for me. At least I have a month to decide if I want to take the plunge for the IPhone X.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Framing that the shift away from a physical home button to facial recognition to unlock your phone is anything comparable to the original iPhone announcement is dreadful.

jwk94

I mean they explained that it's not using light. It's using a combination of infrared, dots projected on your face, creating a map of your face with a neural network.

The color of your skin will have zero impact on it.

So then it'll work regardless of lighting conditions?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder how many Apple cultists will get the iPhone8 AND the iPhoneX.
Ignoring the unneeded jab, I'd actually get an 8+ if I didn't already have a perfectly fine 7+ right now. I'll wait for the X technology to mature before upgrading again. I feel my 7+ will last me a little while at least.

Top Bottom