• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro has sold 200,000

Ashamam

The bigger problem is it isn’t a gaming headset lol. What a ridiculous take to judge its success based on gaming.

Ozriel

M$FT
Like anyone with a brain, of course it was going to sell poorly.

As a big fan of VR, this will only hurt the medium.

Nah, the Vision Pro is one of the best things to happen to the medium.

Thanks to its existence, Meta’s already added a lot of updates to the Quest line, and they’re signaling they’ll aim much higher with their next Quest with specs, display and pass through quality. They’ll also focus on making their headsets work better for professional use cases.

You can imagine other MetaOS headsets also pushing better specs.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’m just waiting on more streaming apps. Best thing I own for watching movies and shit but half my apps are iPad apps that don’t use the features of the avp or 3rd party plug ins/work around that do an ok job.

Need more native apps please…

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
200,000?

In the US only?

At $3,499 per unit?

For alpha version?

Pretty good.
larry-david-unsure.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nah, the Vision Pro is one of the best things to happen to the medium.

Thanks to its existence, Meta’s already added a lot of updates to the Quest line, and they’re signaling they’ll aim much higher with their next Quest with specs, display and pass through quality. They’ll also focus on making their headsets work better for professional use cases.

You can imagine other MetaOS headsets also pushing better specs.
I hope you’re right. The Quest 3 might be my favorite gaming tech in my house right now.

Sethbacca

I hope you’re right. The Quest 3 might be my favorite gaming tech in my house right now.
Seriously, the Quest 3 is hella impressive for a piece of mobile tech. I cannot imagine the Vision Pro being worth the 7x cost multiplier minimum, and I say this as a guy who has had iPhones for most of the last decade (mostly because of bogo deals and it's what my gf wanted than because of any real brand loyalty).

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Seriously, the Quest 3 is hella impressive for a piece of mobile tech. I cannot imagine the Vision Pro being worth the 7x cost multiplier minimum, and I say this as a guy who has had iPhones for most of the last decade (mostly because of bogo deals and it's what my gf wanted than because of any real brand loyalty).
Haha, same here. My wife wants Apple because of FaceTime, because it’s what she knows.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's insane when you realize the same price could easily buy you a Quest 3 and a high-end super powerful PC to use with it... to run absolutely amazing VR games of all kinds.

:)

It's near a billion dollars revenue in 8 weeks in just 30% of the world market.

Sure, maybe it's not as successful as they were hoping. But if they can improve the product in the next couple of years and get it down to $1,000 then I'd say there's a business here.

This isn't the Stadia people are looking for.

Last edited:

Reallink

Would you say the cost multiplier between $500 75" no-name LCD to a $3500 77" G-Series OLED isn't worth it? Cause Vision Pro represents an even larger difference than that. Quest 3's displays are trash if you can look past the VR wow factor blinders and evaluate them on merit--gray as spoiled milk, muted color volume, and still very noticably low resolution. The problem is the device (and medium in general) doesn't have enough content and use cases to warrant the same price premiums people are happy to pay for phones or TV's. In other words the device itself is worth it and justifies the 7x multiplier, but simultaniously the lack content makes it not worth it.

P.S. I hate Apple as a company, have never and will never own a product from them, but Facebook's bargain basement headsets are garbage that have stagnated the VR industry for a decade at this point. The Vision Pro is a larger leap over the Quest 3 than the Quest 3 is over the decade old Oculus Dev Kit 2.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Would you say the cost multiplier between $500 75" no-name LCD to a $3500 77" G-Series OLED isn't worth it? Cause Vision Pro represents an even larger difference than that. Quest 3's displays are trash if you can look past the VR wow factor blinders and evaluate them on merit--gray as spoiled milk, muted color volume, and still very noticably low resolution. The problem is the device (and medium in general) doesn't have enough content and use cases to warrant the price premium that people are happy to pay for phones or TV's.
As it stands currently, with no contant, minimal apps and support, and the high price tag for the privilege of being an early adopter it's 100% not worth it. At least if I compare a tv to a tv i've got literally 10s of thousands of options for content to use on them, so the quest vs vision isn't really a straight comparison to begin with. I'm sure some people feel fine with the money they spent, but I would 100% not be one of them.

Minsc

Gold Member
Would you say the cost multiplier between $500 75" no-name LCD to a $3500 77" G-Series OLED isn't worth it? Cause Vision Pro represents an even larger difference than that. Quest 3's displays are trash if you can look past the VR wow factor blinders and evaluate them on merit--gray as spoiled milk, muted color volume, and still very noticably low resolution. The problem is the device (and medium in general) doesn't have enough content and use cases to warrant the same price premiums people are happy to pay for phones or TV's. In other words the device itself is worth it and justifies the 7x multiplier, but simultaniously the lack content makes it not worth it.

P.S. I hate Apple as a company, have never and will never own a product from them, but Facebook's bargain basement headsets are garbage that have stagnated the VR industry for a decade at this point. The Vision Pro is a larger leap over the Quest 3 than the Quest 3 is over the decade old Oculus Dev Kit 2.

You can only really say the AVP is "worth" the $3500 if you value the movie / passthrough MR viewing experience above all else. There's quite a lot MR falls short to IRL with, even the AVP with all its glory. For starters it's ultimately not as comfortable as not having VR, especially in the heat, and there's some benefits but also negatives too. It's far easier for me to throw a video on a tablet around the house than a headset currently anyway, as even disregarding the reduced FOV using the headset, the video blocking your vision just gets in your way eventually while a tablet IMO is easier to set where you want it, even if it is possible to do the same with more steps involved in VR.

Then there's the issue of real nitpicky stuff like image persistence and so forth.

And ultimately how "worth it" is the $3500 AVP going to be when there's a $2000 Quest Pro 2 with similar specs (like really similar, not like PSVR2 specs on a pancake lens) but the device also has a built in battery and much better FOV and can play VR games, all for way less. Sure it doesn't have an Apple M3 processor, but mobile chips are more than good enough for video playback and browsing the web / multitasking.

Maybe the pass through is really all that matters to someone trying to put it over the Quest 3 at any price, but even the AVP still doesn't have perfect passthrough, depth perception in it isn't as accurate as the Quest 3, and there's quite a bit of motion blur to it as well. So all that money and it's still ultimately a product that definitely has quirks to it.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

stupid-idiot.gif

midnightAI

:)

It's near a billion dollars revenue in 8 weeks in just 30% of the world market.

Sure, maybe it's not as successful as they were hoping. But if they can improve the product in the next couple of years and get it down to $1,000 then I'd say there's a business here.

This isn't the Stadia people are looking for.
Depends on how much it cost in R&D, BOM, advertising, how many they gave away free to influencers etc.

Not impressive numbers for an Apple product.
The Apple Watch started out slowly too and was declared a failure at launch.

Going way, way back now, the original iPhone also sold below expectations and Apple actually lowered the price during the first year and offered refunds to people who bought at launch price.

Apple isn't the kind of company that gives up after the first 3 months though, maybe that's why they are so successful...

Ozriel

M$FT
The Apple Watch started out slowly too and was declared a failure at launch.

Going way, way back now, the original iPhone also sold below expectations and Apple actually lowered the price during the first year and offered refunds to people who bought at launch price.

Apple isn't the kind of company that gives up after the first 3 months though, maybe that's why they are so successful...

The initial Apple Watch was shit. I owned one as soon as it became available…and it was slow as molasses, with a shitty UX at the time.
The original iPhone had a ton of compromises and was very expensive. It’s interesting you cite the iPhone…Apple improved the device and cut the price.

The Vision Pro has multiple problems. Price, content, comfort…among others. It’ll take a pretty steep price drop to bring it down to mass market adoption levels…and if they go cheaper with a new, stripped down model, it’ll be the exact opposite of what Apple Did with the watch and phone.

It’ll take a pretty steep price drop to bring it down to mass market adoption levels…and if they go cheaper with a new, stripped down model, it’ll be the exact opposite of what Apple Did with the watch and phone.
They obviously don't want to stay at that price forever. They can go cheaper as component price decreases. They'll be improving the product not stripping down.

Interesting people are still comparing with Quest. I haven't seen any games at all on the thing yet (but I haven't been looking hard).

Top Bottom