• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

calistan

Pretty much. But don't forget that Apple wants people to wear these while out and about. Imagine having a fan buzzing in your ears while on the move with these on. If that's not an annoyance, I don't know what is.
I doubt that the fan would be audible though. I have a Quest Pro and the only time I can hear the fan is when there's no other sounds and I have the earphones stuffed in my ears. It's silent when using the external speakers. I'd trust Apple with the fan part, having used many of their silent computers.

Tams

I don’t believe at any point they said this is a VR headset.

This is meant to be used as an augmented reality (AR) headset. I also don’t think that gaming is the priority for this device right now.

Only with the complete backgrounds, that is VR, no matter what flowery, superfluous language they use to try and not say it.

Tarin02543

This 1.0 product already gives a superior experience compared to the competition.

Let's give the 2.0 version some upgrades (as a thought experiment)

1. micro-microled developed by apple themselves (derived from the microled tech that they are supposedely introducing on the Apple Watch Ultra in a couple of years). This will allow them to up the brightness considerably, mitigating the dimming effect of pancake lenses.
  2. 3 nm processor node obviously (R2, M3, M4) for increased efficiency and performance
  3. solid state cooling for advanced acoustics and performance (Frore Systems, look it up)
  4. solid state battery pack to give you 6 instead of 2 hours of wireless operating time with same dimensions and less weight
  5. magnesium instead of aluminium for the chassis
2024 will be interesting

Last edited:
I doubt that the fan would be audible though. I have a Quest Pro and the only time I can hear the fan is when there's no other sounds and I have the earphones stuffed in my ears. It's silent when using the external speakers. I'd trust Apple with the fan part, having used many of their silent computers.
I hope you're right. This device is timer than a laptop and far smaller than all the other VR devices, which is why I'm concerned about the fan due to how compact the headset looks.

This 1.0 product already gives a superior experience compared to the competition.

1. micro-microled developed by apple themselves (derived from the microled tech that they are supposedely introducing on the Apple Watch Ultra in a couple of years). This will allow them to up the brightness considerably, mitigating the dimming effect of pancake lenses.
  2. 3 nm processor node obviously (R2, M3, M4) for increased efficiency and performance
  3. solid state cooling for advanced acoustics and performance (Frore Systems, look it up)
  4. solid state battery pack to give you 6 instead of 2 hours of wireless operating time with same dimensions and less weight
2024 will be interesting
If Apple took their time with upgrading the airpods pro(3 years almost) which are tiny compared to the Vision pro. I think it's more like 2025(even 2026) than 2024. Even the airpods max haven't received an upgraded model yet.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I hope you're right. This device is timer than a laptop and far smaller than all the other VR devices, which is why I'm concerned about the fan due to how compact the headset looks.
M2 is great with thermals... Not sure it even has a fan but if it does you won't be hearing it. Battery is also external so that already takes away a heat source.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Impressions seem to go on about the eye tracking as if it's new and literally everything they describe is how the PSVR2 works.
I don't get it or is this the usual Apple fans being oblivious to other stuff that exist until Apple introduce it....a bit like Nintendo.
And everything else as mentioned in the impressions can be done with other headsets.
It does seem like Google Glasses but with a Headset, not something I'd expect after a decade.
The recording in 3D stereoscopic is cool but as Marques Brownlee said, it would be kinda weird for other people.
They also made it out metal and glass?
there is a reason why other headsets weren't made like this, it not because they was cheap.
It's because the creators wasn't stupid.
That weight is gonna cause fatigue fast
Anyway with the 2 hour battery and heavy headunit I don't think this first Gen model is worth even getting, seems very prototypish.
Maybe in a later version when they address the weight, battery and applications for it.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Impressions seem to go on about the eye tracking as if it's new and literally everything they describe is how the PSVR2 works.
I don't get it or is this the usual Apple fans being oblivious to other stuff that exist until Apple introduce it....a bit like Nintendo.
And everything else as mentioned in the impressions can be done with other headsets.
It does seem like Google Glasses but with a Headset, not something I'd expect after a decade.
The recording in 3D stereoscopic is cool but as Marques Brownlee said, it would be kinda weird for other people.
there is a reason why other headsets weren't made like this, it not because they was cheap.
Anyway with the 2 hour battery and heavy headunit I don't think this first Gen model is worth even getting, seems very prototypish.
Maybe in a later version when they address the weight, battery and applications for it.
Not to mention that metal is a conductor of EMFs, so increase risk of radiation passing to the user.

The big fail IMO is that the battery and processing is attached to the head; again the issue being EMFs from high frequency, and the hoop band nature of headsets looking like it is tunnelling EMFs towards the brain.

The head being one of the most vulnerable non-appendaged parts of the body and the large built in battery in such devices potentially being explosive or corrosive in least ideal conditions should have most designers screaming "use a cable, place the battery away from the head!" IMO.

The price is amazingly bad, but with probably 20 Sony camera sensors on the device, I suspect their costs are high. A Sony version with compute and quick change battery on a asymmetric shoulder mount along with a low resistant magnetic cable attached - to carry power/data - like the easy disconnect charge cables on recent Surface Pros could probably be sold at a profit for less than $1500.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not to mention that metal is a conductor of EMFs, so increase risk of radiation passing to the user.

The big fail IMO is that the battery and processing is attached to the head; again the issue being EMFs from high frequency, and the hoop band nature of headsets looking like it is tunnelling EMFs towards the brain.

The head being one of the most vulnerable non-appendaged parts of the body and the large built in battery in such devices potentially being explosive or corrosive in least ideal conditions should have most designers screaming "use a cable, place the battery away from the head!" IMO.

The price is amazingly bad, but with probably 20 Sony camera sensors on the device, I suspect their costs are high. A Sony version with compute and quick change battery on a asymmetric shoulder mount along with a low resistant magnetic cable attached - to carry power/data - like the easy disconnect charge cables on recent Surface Pros could probably be sold at a profit for less than $1500.
The battery is on a cable.
ax7AxCie6uBNv7JgiwffRU.jpg

X-Wing

Dumb video to be honest.
It is a groundbreaking technology and will be a new category of tech that will boom like smartphones did.
All the rest are inherent risks of the internet and social networks, misinformation, manipulation, etc. and when it comes to that AI represents a far greater danger...

PaintTinJr

The battery is on a cable.
ax7AxCie6uBNv7JgiwffRU.jpg
I didn't realise that, good to see the designers got the memo :)

I suspect this device is only possible because of the advances Sony made in producing camera sensors with programmable logic in the sensor for low latency pattern matching at the sensor to send back tiny data for processing in things like city wide security systems - that was discussed a few years ago in the next-gen thread regarding the Cell BE/SPU legacy, when Sony announced revolutionary CMOS sensors

Last edited:

X-Wing

You could at least have informed yourself about the product before spitting such a huge load of bull.

PaintTinJr

You could at least have informed yourself about the product before spitting such a huge load of bull.
EMFs and metal attached to the head are still an issue, and I had watched the video in the tweet prior to commenting and didn't see the battery - not saying it wasn't there but don't recall them drawing attention to it in the advert- and I wouldn't have made that specific point if I had.

edit:
As for shoulder mount, here's a Sony product from a few years ago - that I own - and even the advert for the vision pro in the kitchen looks slightly derivative.

Apple do a great job of packaging up technology and selling it for a use case at a premium, but many of the things they get credit are patents by others - virtually all telecoms tech in their iPhones - or devices by others they've evolved.

Last edited:

calistan

I didn't realise that, good to see the designers got the memo :)

I suspect this device is only possible because of the advances Sony made in producing camera sensors with programmable logic in the sensor for low latency pattern matching at the sensor to send back tiny data for processing in things like city wide security systems - that was discussed a few years ago in the next-gen thread regarding the Cell BE/SPU legacy, when Sony announced revolutionary CMOS sensors
Sony, Sony, Sony... What does this thing have to do with Sony?

CobraAB

That Apple EyeSight feature is superfluous and looks dumb.

It’s purely there to indicate to others whether you can see them in pass through (and visa versa) or in an immersive experience. So you’re basically paying for someone else’s benefit.

If it’s that important for you to have eye contact with someone then I’d suggest it would be polite for you to take the headset off for a moment. That way you look less of a twat.

Scrapping that would drop the price, weight and power consumption.
Hope its not causing you to lose any sleep my friend.

CobraAB

2024 will be interesting
Damn. The current Vision Pro is already obsolete.

What exactly is wrong with the current displays?

Are there reported cooling issues already?

New battery tech WOULD be cool. This is ultimately the bane of anything that runs on batteries right now.

Tarin02543

Damn. The current Vision Pro is already obsolete.

What exactly is wrong with the current displays?

Are there reported cooling issues already?

New battery tech WOULD be cool. This is ultimately the bane of anything that runs on batteries right now.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the displays. On the contrary, these micro oleds are state of the art.

As for cooling, nothing wrong with a fan. But the solid state cooling that I've mentioned is leaving its prototype phase and being put into small form systems (zotac frore systems).

The fanless coolers mean a headset that is even more silent and can be made less heavy and smaller.

X-Wing

Absolutely nothing wrong with the displays. On the contrary, these micro oleds are state of the art.

As for cooling, nothing wrong with a fan. But the solid state cooling that I've mentioned is leaving its prototype phase and being put into small form systems (zotac frore systems).

The fanless coolers mean a headset that is even more silent and can be made less heavy and smaller.
This headset doesn’t seem to have a fan though

X-Wing

Yet, in the several animations they showed of the different parts coming together there was never a fan in sight.
If it does have a fan, it's probably the same kind of tech present in the MacBook Pro. And they are indeed dead silent.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

Yet, in the several animations they showed of the different parts coming together there was never a fan in sight.
If it does have a fan, it's probably the same kind of tech present in the MacBook Pro. And they are indeed dead silent.

since the micro oleds reach 5000 nits (necessary for the superior pancake lenses) there just has to be a fan in there. We will see in the teardown videos early next year!

PaintTinJr

Sony, Sony, Sony... What does this thing have to do with Sony?
Do my previous comments not explain the overlap?

Sony maybe provide quite a bit of the tech for this in terms of CMOS cameras - like they do for iPhone/Samsung Galaxy - CMOS sensors with programmable logic, possibly the OLED screens - Sony's OLED was a world's first after all - and even the battery might be a Sony. So the there's maybe that angle, or Sony being able to do something similar via their PSVR2 tech, their Android phones, the tech I've already mentioned and maybe launch a competing product at a lower price to establish competition in what might become a new nascent market.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

True to a point, but many advances started out at reasonable prices, even apples own beloved iPhone was $599. Ipad was $499. Considering the actual tech inside, it's not "we're moving it forward and parts are expensive" play, it's clearly more of a let's make money play. Watch someone build something very similar for $1500 (without the silly front facing screen) from a competitor by the time it actually launches or close to it.

You can bet meta could stuff eye tracking, dual 4k oleds and dual next gen Qualcomm chips in for that much without issue for Quest pro 2.
Of course Apple puts their additional margin on it for the sake of being Apple. But the cost here is not just in the parts, it's the R&D into making something most companies have not done yet. It's not just the hardware but the technology behind the software integration to work with other devices and features. This HMD is potentially going to allow you to integrate and seamlessly switch between your watch, phone, Mac etc. The OS is on another level we have not seen before. I think people are underestimating the potential of this device and what it will be capable of. That comes at an initial cost. My friend heads a computer science lab at a University and this is his job. He studies and develops for AR and VR. He's published papers and studies on this stuff. He mentioned 'No other company offers what Apple can do with this because they don't have the integration into our ubiquitous mobile presence' his words not mine.

Last edited:

jose4gg

That's great that they got it to run, but it's running at 900p with an average 13fps, is this supposed to be a joke tweet?

Edit: Just read the "running on Ultra" part, if that's trully running at ultra with RT, then that is pretty impressive, it would mean that you could potentially run it at 1080/1440 at mid-high settings with RT @ 45-60fps+.

Edit: Just saw that RT is off, so probably just 1080 mid settings @45-60fps at best. Not too shabby, for a Metal port, I guess.

This is basically throwing the whole game into a program and then that's it. It does not have optimization, it's a few hours work for a game that wasn't even thought to be made for Metal/MacOS.

The idea that the game is running is bonkers, specially for the first version...

calistan

Do my previous comments not explain the overlap?

Sony maybe provide quite a bit of the tech for this in terms of CMOS cameras - like they do for iPhone/Samsung Galaxy - CMOS sensors with programmable logic, possibly the OLED screens - Sony's OLED was a world's first after all - and even the battery might be a Sony. So the there's maybe that angle, or Sony being able to do something similar via their PSVR2 tech, their Android phones, the tech I've already mentioned and maybe launch a competing product at a lower price to establish competition in what might become a new nascent market.
That's a weird way of looking at an Apple product announcement. Kind of like hearing about the PS5 for the first time and talking about how it's really all down to Toshiba for making the NAND chips for the SSD.

K' Dash

I’m laughing my ass off on this thread, there’s people really comparing the cheapo shit PSVR2 to this? My God, Sony warriors are as nauseating as always no matter the place or context.

And it’s not like I don’t think this headset is going to bomb, I’m thinking about buying one and leave unopened to sell in a few years, lol.

Last edited:

Tams

2024 will be interesting

All pure speculation.

And batteries have being going to 'radically get better' for about a decade. They barely have.

Justin9mm

1976 Apple I : Too expensive!
1984 MacIntosh : Too expensive!
1991 PowerBook : Too expensive!
1998 iMac : Too expensive!
2001 iPod : Too expensive!
2006 iMac/Macbook : Too expensive!
2007 Apple TV : Too expensive!
2007 iPhone : Too expensive!
2008 Macbook air : Too expensive!
2010 iPad : Too expensive!
2015 Watch : Too expensive!
2018 HomePod : Too expensive!
2024 Vision pro : Too expensive!

Add a sprinkle of "what does this provide vs competition" and "Apple is out of their minds! DOA!" over almost all these product stacks and you have these solid investors and thinkers that proclaimed Apple's doom for decades

101231459-5515e700-36a3-11eb-9b82-1362a27a3fcc.png

Meanwhile, Apple is valuated at 2.81 Trillion USD

images

You don't understand products nor the market. Just like Switch predictions in 2017 around here.

"Has to focus on gaming!" - oh yeah, look where that got. How many Half Life Alyx you have to develop to move the needle? Mainstream doesn't give a fuck to control these complex games with controllers in a basement corner for your Valve Index setup. It's niche as fuck. Look, i love VR gaming, but it's completely niche. Chasing that market and that market only is a dead end. Even Meta understands this, not for nothing that Quest pro & Quest 3 are going AR. Gaming is a side project for these companies from now on.

Just like Quest pro → Quest 3 in prices over the span of a year
The non Vision pro version is probably gonna be iPhone price range and from then on, Apple will eat the market. Any headsets staying "pure" VR will be <1% niche much like Steam hardware survey headsets. Meta has a chance to compete if they hurry up with a Quest pro 2 as high end.
It's expensive now, it will plummet in price soon enough. micro-OLED production is super expensive now.

You have headsets with micro-OLED in the 1800 nits range (too dim for pancake lenses), half resolution, no standalone chips (let alone an M2), no batteries, no inside out tracking (need Steam base station), no AR, no eye tracking and they sell for $999. Once you go high end AR you're double the price of Vision pro. Anyone not seeing where this product line is heading in 3-5 years from now, will look back to the unveiling threads and make a big "GUH".

I'm not even buying this headset with a 10 foot pole on first iteration, but not seeing the big picture of this product stack is a bit surprising from a forum of so called geeks.
Thank God someone here understands. 🙏

There's ppl in here even trying to compare this to a PSVR2.. No idea 🤦‍♂️

Tams

It's normal for Apple. At least with Nintendo it's only some of the fans that act like Nintendo created whatever feature. Apple themselves sniff their own hype.

And it's also Apple we mostly have to thank for they plethora of metal and glass. It started with the iPhone 4 and was firmly in place by the 5 and 5s. Other companies followed, despite even for smartphones slabs of metal and glass not being the best choice.

Buggy Loop

high quality GIF

Having the hardware to do it (and Sony isn't first either) is totally not in the same ballpark as implementation and human interface fluidity.

Just look at trackpads

Macbook trackpads since forever, hell even my 2013 macbook, still haven't been beaten by window laptops even in 2023. There's inherently something else going on in software that goes beyond the tech per say.

I haven't tried PSVR 2, but i seriously doubt it's even in the same realm of experience to navigate. Can Sony update eventually to match? Sure! Tech is there.

CobraAB

AR/VR sucks

Be prepared for thousands of articles like this.

Wearing a headset makes you look dumb.

Well, a lot of people do lack self confidence I guess.

Now granted, something that basically looks like regular eye lasses is probably the ultimate goal but I dont see this for a long time.

And frankly, it would be a different type of experience from what the current Vision Pro is offering.

PaintTinJr

That's a weird way of looking at an Apple product announcement. Kind of like hearing about the PS5 for the first time and talking about how it's really all down to Toshiba for making the NAND chips for the SSD.
How is that the same by any stretch of the imagination?

Consoles aren't a nascent market to be established, soon are they? And even if they were, Toshiba isn't making a console to compete with Ps5 with just nand chips, like Sony almost certainly will be making a Vision Pro of their own based on the multitude of technologies I mentioned previously.

Sony have been a leading designer of portable wearable technology since the Walkman, Watchman, P800 smartphone, etc, etc and Jobs was a fan himself.

Last edited:

calistan

How is that the same by any stretch of the imagination?

Consoles aren't a nascent market to be established, soon are they? And even if they were, Toshiba isn't making a console to compete with Ps5 with just nand chips, like Sony almost certainly will be making a Vision Pro of their own based on the multitude of technologies I mentioned previously.

Sony have been a leading designer of portable wearable technology since the Walkman, Watchman, P800 smartphone, etc, etc and Jobs was a fan himself.
Look, I get that you're a fan of the company but Sony has nothing to do with this. They make camera sensors that may or may not be used in the Apple headset. It's just a component. Did you know Samsung may or may not be making screens for this?

stickkidsam

what does this have to do with loyalty?

It’s a high end monitor on your face, pass through, with great UI.

Is there a reason I shouldn’t get this?

Am I some LG fanboy cause I bought a 4,000$ OLED TV?
Because those goggles are gonna be collecting dust within a month.

Your TV makes my wallet cry but at least that gets used.

This goes nowhere until brands realize its more than just a phone for your face, which I doubt people will want.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
AR/VR sucks

Be prepared for thousands of articles like this.

Wearing a headset makes you look dumb.

Well, a lot of people do lack self confidence I guess.

Now granted, something that basically looks like regular eye lasses is probably the ultimate goal but I dont see this for a long time.

And frankly, it would be a different type of experience from what the current Vision Pro is offering.
You could say We r not e

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Of course Apple puts their additional margin on it for the sake of being Apple. But the cost here is not just in the parts, it's the R&D into making something most companies have not done yet. It's not just the hardware but the technology behind the software integration to work with other devices and features. This HMD is potentially going to allow you to integrate and seamlessly switch between your watch, phone, Mac etc. The OS is on another level we have not seen before. I think people are underestimating the potential of this device and what it will be capable of. That comes at an initial cost. My friend heads a computer science lab at a University and this is his job. He studies and develops for AR and VR. He's published papers and studies on this stuff. He mentioned 'No other company offers what Apple can do with this because they don't have the integration into our ubiquitous mobile presence' his words not mine.

I'm sorry but the notion that only apple could pull off the ability to move about in AR and VR is about as hogwash as only Apple can use gestures to control your phone, or use face ID to unlock your phone. There is nothing massively unique or amazing about the VR interface.
Using your hands as motion controls? All of what they have done will be available elsewhere. It's like saying Apple has invented how to fly an airplane just because the made the first well thought out plane interface screen.
It's also not like MS hasn't integrated functions from a PC to people's phones, etc. I think the device is being overestimated. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool toy and may well be the future of computing for some people, it's just not propritary like you are implying.

Last edited:

Reallink

>70% of the wow factor is coming from the displays, which are a quantum leap over anything on market by a factor of a decade (literally, not hyperbole). The 2014 DK2 to the 2023 Quest 3 will be a smaller display leap than what the Vision Pro is over current high end consumer headsets (including the only 6 month old $1500 Quest Pro). The quality of the passthrough afforded by putting actual high quality capture cameras on the device, as opposed to the $3 webcams everyone else has been using is the other showstopper. Everything else is just iteration on existing VR features and concepts.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

2024 will be interesting
This 1.0 product has no release date, they only said "2024". I believe late 2025 or even 2026 for a new iteration.

Top Bottom