• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

Zannegan

The more I see and read, the more this seems like such a missed opportunity. Putting the price aside, the hardware is great, but there would be so many more use-cases had they integrated the M2 into the battery pack instead of the headset.

Last edited:
it does include a full OS (and a full M2 CPU), did you watch the presentation?
I did. I saw that you can bring your Apple Laptop screen into the Vision OS, but Vision OS doesn’t have a desktop of sorts. It would be nice to have it function like a laptop with multiple screens considering the resolution of the lenses. If it had that as a stand-alone feature it would be work the price of admission, especially if i could use a mouse and keyboard with it

Last edited:

CGNoire

Just because I’m not some poor fuck scrounging for the bare minimum doesn’t mean I got ripped off. I’m well aware that paying for large LCDs for my AIO is unnecessary but I’m not you, I have money to spare.
I meant its a abnormal case for what most would spend on a high end rig.

BootsLoader

Banned
high quality GIF

This really isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. This has happened before and they always bounce back within a few weeks. If this downward trend continues past that - then it is "getting worse and worse".
I am not trying to make up anything. I just show they way it actually is.

Fredrik

it doesn't need to be some tiny dinky ass pair of glasses. It just needs to be light and comfortable. Like some regular ski goggles
Great high budget AAA games. That’s what I need. I already have a Quest 2, it’a not used much at the moment but not because it’s bad or big or unfomfortable but because of the games library. Fortunately it has SteamVR compatibility, modders has improved some of my favorites a lot. But it’s not enough, it needs a serious AAA push, the whole VR/AR industry needs that.
Imagine the Apple headset with SteamVR compatibility and Half-Life Alyx playable at launch.

Ammogeddon

That Apple EyeSight feature is superfluous and looks dumb.

It’s purely there to indicate to others whether you can see them in pass through (and visa versa) or in an immersive experience. So you’re basically paying for someone else’s benefit.

If it’s that important for you to have eye contact with someone then I’d suggest it would be polite for you to take the headset off for a moment. That way you look less of a twat.

Scrapping that would drop the price, weight and power consumption.

CobraAB

I did not think anyone would ever manage to beat the utter stupidity that was the presentation of HoloLens... but somehow Apple managed the impossible. This must be the worst tech announcement I have ever seen, and not by a small margin. I really want my 40 minutes of life back. What an absolute, unmitigated trainwreck.

Those who hype this turd deserve to be mocked more than the NFT bros.
... and probably are the same people.

Fx4m9vPXgAAeULG
Uh, ok….

stickkidsam

There was a time the utility of the iphone also didn't make sense - "why would I pay this much money to have internet on my phone". Apple made it the norm and must have
I’m not sure what world you lived in where the utility of the iPhone wasn’t entirely apparent. People scoffed at the price sure, but everyone I knew understood what made it valuable. Let’s also not forget that the original iPhone was 500 bucks. That’s a pretty STEEP difference.

These goggles are not even remotely comparable. They’re for a different market entirely and their use is mostly novel. Anything you can do with this thing can be done in your house or office already. Meanwhile an iPhone could be used anywhere and puts all the devices you’d have on the go in one.

I could be missing something but, “People have been wrong before so that means people are wrong now” ain’t it.

Fredrik

Not sure but seems like a great product if I was too rich.
I’m not too rich but I’m inside their ecosystem already and I think I could save up the cash through stocks until it launches and buy it if I wanted. But I don’t see the point. What should I use it for if AAA devs yet again sit on the fence like they do with VR? Watch movies no longer than 2 hours, play mobile games I could just as well play on my phone or Apple TV, drag around windows, and look like a dork in facetime calls who waste too much money on tech junk?

There is some cool tech inside this thing, no doubt, but it’s launching without knowing if there will ever be a significant market or proper developer support. They could’ve at least made it SteamVR compatible to get a user boost and hype from PCVR users and modders.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I did. I saw that you can bring your Apple Laptop screen into the Vision OS, but Vision OS doesn’t have a desktop of sorts. It would be nice to have it function like a laptop with multiple screens considering the resolution of the lenses. If it had that as a stand-alone feature it would be work the price of admission, especially if i could use a mouse and keyboard with it
The whole point of Vision OS is that your entire range of vision is a desktop. You can move windows around, run apps, etc. You don't need a laptop, although you can integrate with it. No mouse and keyboard, it is all gestures and eye tracking.

MrStauf

Banned
All i can say is if you are thinking about buying one try it first, I bought a vive in 2017 on a whim, and its been stuck in its box unused since then because i get serious motion sickness that lasts all the rest of the day.
I would love to play Half Life Alex but can't.

E-Cat

All i can say is if you are thinking about buying one try it first, I bought a vive in 2017 on a whim, and its been stuck in its box unused since then because i get serious motion sickness that lasts all the rest of the day.
I would love to play Half Life Alex but can't.
This is further away from Vive than Vive is from Oculus DK1 in terms of technology. Also in terms of time :eek:

RCU005

I don’t believe at any point they said this is a VR headset.

This is meant to be used as an augmented reality (AR) headset. I also don’t think that gaming is the priority for this device right now.

E-Cat

I don’t believe at any point they said this is a VR headset.

This is meant to be used as an augmented reality (AR) headset. I also don’t think that gaming is the priority for this device right now.
'Spatial computer'. Apple also did not use the word "AI" once in their presentation. They know what they're doing, those hipster fucks

Amory

A day later and this price is still pretty gasp-inducing. I expected north of $1000, maybe even $1800 or $2000 base price with configurations well into the twos. $3500 makes this accessible to three audiences:

1) the youtube/internet tech crowd who will get them for free
2) true apple fanatics who will be there a week early to camp out in front of stores and dump 2 paychecks on it
3) rich people / rich people's kids

None of these groups are remotely mainstream. What's more, the mainstream doesn't even have access to these groups in day to day life. I remember before I had a smartphone, seeing people at school and on the bus using their iPhones and knowing I wanted one. With this thing, I question how much I actually want it, I won't know anyone who owns one, and even when I see it in public, it's not like I can experience what the user is seeing. It's easier to just ignore.

VR/AR has had enough trouble getting traction as it is even in the $500 range. This seems like a miss, but what do I know.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Who is this aimed at? Can't see they expecting dedicated players to pay for this and casual players have way more convenient devices to get like a console or phone, even they're iphone.

People so fixated on the price. Meanwhile, Apple getting involved is a HUGE step forward for the future of VR.
Future? Hmmm...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am not trying to make up anything. I just show they way it actually is.

Then you are doing a pathetic job as you actively make it look like a bigger issue than it really is. Your falsified claims have already been disproven by numerous people here.

angrod14

Extremely expensive, and people who are heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem (like me) aren't there for gaming.

E-Cat

If I could drop $3500 and connect it to a PS5? Yeah, I guess I would, but...
Which is my point exactly. Even if it's unaffordable and not part of the Playstation ecosystem, just knowing the Vision Pro exists instantly makes the PSVR2 less desirable.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A day later and this price is still pretty gasp-inducing. I expected north of $1000, maybe even $1800 or $2000 base price with configurations well into the twos. $3500 makes this accessible to three audiences:

2) true apple fanatics who will be there a week early to camp out in front of stores and dump 2 paychecks on it

None of these groups are remotely mainstream. What's more, the mainstream doesn't even have access to these groups in day to day life. I remember before I had a smartphone, seeing people at school and on the bus using their iPhones and knowing I wanted one. With this thing, I question how much I actually want it, I won't know anyone who owns one, and even when I see it in public, it's not like I can experience what the user is seeing. It's easier to just ignore.

VR/AR has had enough trouble getting traction as it is even in the $500 range. This seems like a miss, but what do I know.

For the rich / rich people's kids? Nah, mate. I am easily mid to lower income and I could get this with basic savings in a few months. But I also don't live like a moron in a massive city with absurd rent costs.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Which is my point exactly. Even if it's unaffordable and not part of the Playstation ecosystem, just knowing the Vision Pro exists instantly makes the PSVR2 less desirable.
Of course I'd choose the Vison Pro if price wasn't an issue, that's my point, Vision Pro's price makes the PSVR2 more do-able from a price point, not desirable. That's all I'm saying. Obviously, I know the V Pro is a 5+ years ahead of PSVR2.

E-Cat

Of course I'd choose the Vison Pro if price wasn't an issue, that's my point, Vision Pro's price makes the PSVR2 more do-able from a price point, not desirable. That's all I'm saying. Obviously, I know the V Pro is a 5+ years ahead of PSVR2.
I guess in some abstract comparison sense, though the value proposition hasn't been improved whatsoever by this development...

angrod14

I love tech and I love Apple but man is this VR fad so tiring. I'm not wearing that shit no matter how hard they want to push it.

Zannegan

Its specs are so much worse, though.

I actually agree neither is a sensible purchase right now.
PSVR2 is much worse hardware-wise, especially the screens. On the other hand, it has a lot more functionality that I would actually want.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to mainstream hardware inching toward what Apple is showing off today over the next five years, but as an actual product, I'd get very little use out of what Apple showed. I'm not just looking at its merits as a "gaming device" either, as it's clearly not designed for that. I actually really like the productivity angle, and having lenses/eye tracking of that fidelity is going to be key for the infinite desktops of tomorrow. The display/passthrough tech just isn't enough to pique my interest as-is.

I can wait for other displays to catch up, but I wouldn't want to sit there with a $3,500 lump of potential whose internals will be easily outclassed by the time the functionality I'm looking for catches up. The PSVR at least has some experiences now that I'd be interested in.

Again though, we agree that neither is a good buy today.

danklord

Gold Member
The whole point of Vision OS is that your entire range of vision is a desktop. You can move windows around, run apps, etc. You don't need a laptop, although you can integrate with it. No mouse and keyboard, it is all gestures and eye tracking.

And they did show that mouse and keyboard work while you wear the headset....

Amory

For the rich / rich people's kids? Nah, mate. I am easily mid to lower income and I could get this with basic savings in a few months. But I also don't live like a moron in a massive city with absurd rent costs.
I'm not saying it'll be impossible to buy a headset on a middle class income, particularly with today's culture of buying everything on credit. Sure there's plenty of people who could go out and pay cash for one if they were so inclined. I question how many people will actually do it.

$3500 is a fuckin hurdle to jump, even if you make a lot of money.

Marvel14

Banned
The external OLED display allows for passthrough and shows the wearer's eyes in realtime to those surrounding them.
Yes I see...impressive but still with a shadow so more like wearing light shades than full unfettered eye contact...don't think that will fly...unless our norms change...

Can I use this while driving?

I like to watch YouTube and post on GAF while driving, and it's been pretty dangerous using my phone to do this. These goggles seem like a sensible solution to my problems. Two hour battery life is more than enough for my commute.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not saying it'll be impossible to buy a headset on a middle class income, particularly with today's culture of buying everything on credit. Sure there's plenty of people who could go out and pay cash for one if they were so inclined. I question how many people will actually do it.

$3500 is a fuckin hurdle to jump, even if you make a lot of money.

Fair enough. It is certainly something you need to make a concerted efffort to buy - like a new PC or upgrading an Apple Product.

Marvel14

Banned

When they figure out how to sell these as a set of four headsets and one compute unit so it can actually replace your TV for $2500 ...reckon it will then become mainstream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom