• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

It also contains a M2 pro. It's not some cheap mobile chip. It's like strapping a MacBook Pro to your face with the best goggle tech.

But also there will be a future cheaper version. These are not mass consumer devices.
It's the base M2 but still. It's much more powerful, and is still like having a full computer.
It's a strange distinction when I'm not aware of anything it does which cannot be done on a Quest. Even the all powerful M2 chip is nothing next to linking a Quest to a PC.
The distinction is that it's not VR. Apple have never said VR in relation to what it does. It does not provide virtual reality. It's a spatial computer simple as that. It's not meant to compete with the Meta Quest or any of the other headsets.

It also doesn't need to be priced like those headsets. They don't need to sell millions of them either for it to be successful either because whether you like Apple or not it WILL change computing (for better or worse depending on your views of course).

Also there's no point in mentioning connecting to a PC. No offense but, I don't think you understand what the product is in the slightest.

Minsc

Gold Member
So you wrote a bunch of stuff without answering my question, you said it's not a VR headset, so I asked what then does this headset which looks almost exactly like a VR headset do that a VR headset cannot?

diffusionx

Gold Member
So you wrote a bunch of stuff without answering my question, you said it's not a VR headset, so I asked what then does this headset which looks almost exactly like a VR headset do that a VR headset cannot?
It's obviously a VR headset, but Apple doesn't want people to call it a VR headset. In fact I think they explicitly prohibit devs from calling their apps "VR". For whatever reason they feel VR has this baggage they are trying to go beyond, but it's all marketing.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
Can't wait to program an App that will leverage AI image generation and LIDAR to undress real life women looked at through augmented reality passthrough.. /s

But seriously - that's what people will probably do with it within months. And I'd assume it's not even that hard to develop these kinds of applications.

I marvel at the technology that will hit the consumer market with the Apple Vision Pro, but I'm anxious about all the ways people will be able to abuse it. I don't even have to think for 10 seconds and I come up with use cases that I don't trust people to handle responsibly. And given that it's an Apple device, I think it will become socially acceptable to wear these in any public place without getting looked at - unlike i.e. Meta Quest devices.

Brave new world.

reinking

Gold Member
Can't wait to program an App that will leverage AI image generation and LIDAR to undress real life women looked at through augmented reality passthrough.. /s

But seriously - that's what people will probably do with it within months. And I'd assume it's not even that hard to develop these kinds of applications.

I marvel at the technology that will hit the consumer market with the Apple Vision Pro, but I'm anxious about all the ways people will be able to abuse it. I don't even have to think for 10 seconds and I come up with use cases that I don't trust people to handle responsibly. And given that it's an Apple device, I think it will become socially acceptable to wear these in any public place without getting looked at - unlike i.e. Meta Quest devices.

Brave new world.
You can already wear Meta Ray-Bans in public and not get looked at too weird. When Apple glasses hit shelves is when we will probably see wearing a device like that as normal. We are not that far away.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
You can already wear Meta Ray-Bans in public and not get looked at too weird. When Apple glasses hit shelves is when we will probably see wearing a device like that as normal. We are not that far away.
Oh for sure, but never before has there been such a level of computing power and hardware capability been in them at the same time. You can simply do stuff with them that scares me that wasn't possible before.

Thank god they are priced in at the same level as a car for now. That's the only saving grace for now. I hope Apple puts some serious effort into moderating their app store.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By the looks of it, Apple's VR goggles are the latest attempt at making computer goggles mainstream.

It hasnt worked for gaming, social media or business meetings yet. What ever happened to Zuck's metaverse and MS showing everyone at work putting on goggles and having their employee avatar walking from room to room drinking virtual coffees?

Last edited:

Romulus

By the looks of it, Apple's VR goggles are the latest attempt at making computer goggles mainstream.

It hasnt worked for gaming, social media or business meetings yet. What ever happened to Zuck's metaverse and MS showing everyone at work putting on goggles and having their employee avatar walking from room to room drinking virtual coffees?

I would argue Quest is already mainstream. They were keeping up with Series S/X combined sales for a couple of years until they raised the price $100 out of nowhere. That's really significant to go from 5 million sales total in 5 years with PSVR1(the market leader) to 20 million in 2 years total.

This apple device is won't come close because of cost and its a step back in terms of user friendly. Carry around a battery with a cord? Hell no. Within eighteen months of release, Meta or someone else will release an equal or higher spec headset for 30% of the price of this headset with actual games ready to play on day 1. I would not be surprised if that happens even sooner than eighteen months, but the specs are close, but do not surpass Apple.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Brave new world.
People said the same thing about google glass

lordrand11

Fx4YxBdWcAIyUXl

Fx4YwVIaMAIT9B7

I'm gonna laugh when it's jailbroken

Jesb

How long until we see people walking around the street wearing VR units?

Now people are glued to their phone. Is this next?

Last edited:

midnightAI

The distinction is that it's not VR. Apple have never said VR in relation to what it does. It does not provide virtual reality. It's a spatial computer simple as that. It's not meant to compete with the Meta Quest or any of the other headsets.

It also doesn't need to be priced like those headsets. They don't need to sell millions of them either for it to be successful either because whether you like Apple or not it WILL change computing (for better or worse depending on your views of course).
You do know that VR and AR are types of spacial computing right? This is an AR device primarily, but it can also do VR. Don't fall for the marketing.

While I agree it isn't directly competing with Quest or other VR headsets, it doesn't actually do that much differently but it is geared more towards productivity rather than games. Most VR headsets with pass through could do pretty much everything the Apple headset can do, maybe not to it's level but you can see that in the tech it does use which is reflected in the price. The main difference is the software, again, aimed at productivity not games.

You do know that VR and AR are types of spacial computing right? This is an AR device primarily, but it can also do VR. Don't fall for the marketing.

While I agree it isn't directly competing with Quest or other VR headsets, it doesn't actually do that much differently but it is geared more towards productivity rather than games. Most VR headsets with pass through could do pretty much everything the Apple headset can do, maybe not to it's level but you can see that in the tech it does use which is reflected in the price. The main difference is the software, again, aimed at productivity not games.
What I was getting at is that the Vision Pro is not designed as a VR headset. Sure they are all similar things but nobody should buy this expecting something like a Meta Quest.

The quality that you should be getting here is much higher then other headsets that have a passthrough option.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I mean you have people using the Quest 3 like this, or this, or this, or this, or this, or even the piano learning mixed reality apps... some people probably use it more in MR than VR. And now that the UI itself isn't even VR, but MR for most users, as it's just so much faster that way.

The argument just sounds like well they have better hardware so it's no longer VR because the hardware is better (damn well better be too for an extra $3000+).

Does that mean the Quest 4 or Quest 5 which has better/comparable passthrough to the AVP would no longer be a VR headset either? MR > VR in all applications except immersive gaming where you're inside the game world, and even then games that dip in to your own world like Assassin's Creed Nexus which combines both MR and VR are even more immersive.

The future of VR is heavily moving in to MR especially because it alleviates the main issue with VR the motion sickness.

Wonko_C

How long until we see people walking around the street wearing VR units?

Now people are glued to their phone. Is this next?
I remember when Meta announced the Ray-Bans, they said their long term goal was for people to stop looking downwards.

I have a Quest 2 which has a terrible passthrough camera, but even with that quality I could see the potential of having mixed reality stuff in your living space.

Incredibly cool tech. If we can make this affordable and more comfortable then we can get rid of our screens.

Not just screens but also things like road signs could just be projected into your world.

I’ll be sure to download an ad-blocker by then to block all these annoying banners on buildings etc.

Yet another 'preview' where somebody just regurgitates the info from last year's reveal event. It's bizarre, this thing launches in 10 days.

Maybe an embargo on saying certain things? Talking out my ass here, I watched the initial reveal and realized that I don't really care about this thing at all.

calistan

Maybe an embargo on saying certain things? Talking out my ass here, I watched the initial reveal and realized that I don't really care about this thing at all.
Definitely an embargo, but it just seems weird that it would go on this long. I don't recall any previous device being this closely guarded days before launch.

I mean, other than the minimal info they gave out last year, there's no indication of what this thing is like to use, how accurate the gesture control is, how long the battery actually lasts, etc.

Nobody has revealed a killer app or any compelling reason to buy it. You can view 3D photos, use iPad apps, and watch flat movies on a big screen for about two hours. It's a solution looking for a problem, as far as I can tell.

Delt31

I bought one too. Getting it day 1.

I’ve tried almost all of the VR units, excluding pimax (for obvious reasons) and my latest is bigscreen beyond which could be my fav simply b/c of form factor and OLED.

I really want to see what apple delivers with this. I love VR but no one has been successful in getting this off the ground so if apple can’t, forget it. Yes it’s expensive but get this.…..already sold out already so who knows - I’m excited to try it. Will report back. Two things I am focused on with it….

1) Visuals - a lot of these people being blown away by the visual are VR newbies. They think quest is some type of qualification. I’ve seen them all - if I’m blown away, I will let you know.

2) Comfort - weight and that strap. We’ll see….

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Comfort is important, but it's a trivial thing to fix. Some of the least comfortable devices can be converted to extremely comfortable devices just by using a third party strap.

So even if the comfort sucks (which IMO it looks like there's a good chance), a third party strap very likely would fix it.

Plus if I ever bought this thing, I'd almost assuredly get a strap with a counterweight of the battery on the strap to better balance it.

knguyen

To think people will line up to purchase such an expensive Product with so little real life practical usages. Apple fans are truly hardcore, especially those who are struggling to pay monthly bills and will still put the amount on the credit cards so they can have the best/lastest from Apple.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know it’s really expensive but I’m starting to think it’s good value for the money.
i Hope someone releases controllers for it for the PCVR space.

Last edited:

RavageX

Crazy. Id never....

Id assume this would make things that people use apple devices for easier. By that, I mean old people who use facetime and people who produce media like music and videos. Maybe meetings but the people who always run and grab the latest apple products just to have the latest apple tech, they will never even figure it out.

And theres a lot of those kinds of people. The ones who dont even KNOW what number iPhone they have. You know the ones...."I have an Apple 15 pro plus max...or maybe it is a Mini Pro XS." Or the ones who have no idea that an Apple ID is not your password.

Reallink

I know it’s really expensive but I’m starting to think it’s good value for the money.
i Hope someone releases controllers for it for the PCVR space.

There is no hope, no theory, and nothing at all to suggest this will ever be jailbroken or hacked to support PCVR in any capacity, It's use case for the average consumer is movies, virtual monitors, and Quest ports that can be made to function exclusively with finger/hand tracking.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There is no hope, no theory, and nothing at all to suggest this will ever be jailbroken or hacked to support PCVR in any capacity, It's use case for the average consumer is movies, virtual monitors, and Quest ports that can be made to function exclusively with finger/hand tracking.
At the moment that is true. I wonder if anyone is trying to work out how to connect this to PCVR. I would imagine you’d need a lighthouse system for the controllers.

At the moment that is true. I wonder if anyone is trying to work out how to connect this to PCVR. I would imagine you’d need a lighthouse system for the controllers.
If it works great for 3D movies, without making you feel like you're watching a low res version of it, the whole product is already worth it to me. Also, I like the idea of the virtual surroundings you can put yourself in while watching said movies, like a Desert landscape or anything else. Would be so awesome to watch the new Dune movie, in 3D, with this surrounding, really making you feel you're there :D.

cyberheater

If it works great for 3D movies, without making you feel like you're watching a low res version of it, the whole product is already worth it to me. Also, I like the idea of the virtual surroundings you can put yourself in while watching said movies, like a Desert landscape or anything else. Would be so awesome to watch the new Dune movie, in 3D, with this surrounding, really making you feel you're there :D.
Yeah. It’s going to be “the” top tier 3D movie watching experience.

Hudo

The problem is that it's still to clunky for MR. If they can get it down to being essentially of the same form factor as normal-ass glasses are, then they may have something here. But right now, this looks like a solid proof-of-concept.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The problem is that it's still to clunky for MR. If they can get it down to being essentially of the same form factor as normal-ass glasses are, then they may have something here. But right now, this looks like a solid proof-of-concept.
I think that's why they used a break out Battery. Get people use to the idea then start to make it smaller. Have the computer and battery on a replaceable attachment would allow them to greatly reduce to goggle size faster.

Minsc

Gold Member

3D movies are low res, inherently. 3D Bourays are 1080p in their original format unlike 4k UHDs encoded to 2160p.

Though it sounds like you are used to seeing half-res SBS encodes, which are much lower res looking. On a Quest 3, frame-packed 3D from 4XVR looks pretty great (original 30GB+ ISOs). So do full res SBS encodes, but remuxed stuff is better than re-encoded.

To think people will line up to purchase such an expensive Product with so little real life practical usages. Apple fans are truly hardcore, especially those who are struggling to pay monthly bills and will still put the amount on the credit cards so they can have the best/lastest from Apple.

Is it really all that different from people who spent $3000 on a gaming PC or $3000 on a HDTV 20 years ago when the tech was new?

This is going to be a cutting edge headset, so yes, it's expensive. You can just buy a Quest 3 and get some of the way there for $500, but it won't be the same as this.

Last edited:

cyberheater

This is the dream. A lightweight stylish pair of glasses that boots up near instantly with fantastic visuals. Think we are quite a few years away from that.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is the dream. A lightweight stylish pair of glasses that boots up near instantly with fantastic visuals. Think we are quite a few years away from that.

I wonder if it's possible to do all that in a slim eye-glass form, inside out tracking with cameras everywhere, built in eye-tracking, self powered, and also light blocking lens, with great sounding built in speakers, Sure does sound impossible. And all that for like $200.

Wonko_C

I like that it projects your eyes. That is cool. But I think this is going to tank.
Yeah people say it looks creepy but it doesn't look creepy to me at all. Then again I very rarely get the uncanny valley effect with things everyone else do.

Trilobit

So what's most important to me right now with VR headsets is the Field of View. That's one of the most immersion-breaking aspects of the tech still today.

Here's a FOV chart that seems to compare different gadgets and also our eyes' ability. I don't know how accurate it is, but for sake of argument I'll use it.

blh9s4qgwcq21.png

The Vision Pro's FOV is rumoured to be 100 °. I have done a completely non-measured and non-scientific approximation of what you'll see compared to what you CAN see.

ocDWXMB.png

And it's disappointing. The technology is getting better and it's cool to see how far it has come since the days of Palmer Lucky. But I have a hard time taking Apple's Vision Pro reels seriously.

But I guess it'll be excellent for city horse simulators:

close-up-of-horses-with-blinders-917797178-5c3a385c46e0fb0001745887.jpg

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, 100 FOV is below PSVR2 and Quest 3 iirc, both are closer to 110 FOV, and are sorta the bare minimum to really get more immersive VR.

The higher the better yes, won't lie the 170 degree headsets sound sweet, but I think I read there's some distortion or issues (minor) with extra large FOV.

overpriced garbage like all of apple products

FhT8wed.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When converted, Apple VR is about $5000 CDN. lol.

And people wonder why so many in the world are broke with giant credit card bills. When you got Apple fans who will buy anything from high priced PCs to $1000 metal stands, nothing makes Apple and CC companies happier.

Top Bottom