• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

E-Cat

So during video calls everyone will be staring at half your eye, your forehead (assuming there is a camera inside the device), or won't see you at all? OR everyone will look at what a wanker you are, as you talk to everyone infront of your webcam (or phone camera) wearing that on your face.
It will probably show your photorealistic avatar

Billbofet

At that price, this will set VR back if anything.
This truly makes it look like a prestige, niche, luxury item for the elite class vs. the Costco Apple kiosk crowd.

dem

This truly makes it look like a prestige, niche, luxury item for the elite class vs. the Costco Apple kiosk crowd.

Why? Makes Quest 3 look like a bargain now!

TBH... this is exactly what VR enthusiasts should want. Apple is pushing VR technology forward.. and they have the cash hoard to not worry about a return on investment anytime soon.

Last edited:

stranno

Um.. no.
This is a VR headset with cutting edge cameras/displays to make the passthrough perfect.

There is absolutely no reason this wouldn't be an insane VR headset. It's just software.
But they didn't even developed a basic tech demo for the video?

It must be the laziest marketing campaign ever seen, then.

drezz

"A rising tide lifts all boats"

Just hoping they will sell some offical controllers by launch.

I dont want Finger Bang Bang! VR games.

Zannegan

The hardware is, obviously, really nice. I'll be happy when this level of visual fidelity is available in mainstream optics, but nothing about their vision/software was particularly compelling at any price point. In fact, it was pretty creepy/sad seeing their ideal of people interacting with their families with that strapped to their face.

It was also pretty disappointing to see a lack of shared viewing experiences shown. Do multiple headsets interact? Could you, ostensibly, share a virtual screen with another user? They talk about wanting people to remain social and connected, but don't address what two users in the same space might look like. I'm guessing this first headset is pretty much a solo experience.

Also the avatar shown might be several steps above Meta's, but it still looked awful. I'd honestly rather chat with a cartoonish oversimplification than the Mayor of Uncanny Valley.

That's apple's playbook and if anything creates "desire" for a product like this. People want "luxury" items and $3500, while expensive for sure, is still attainable by the masses.

I volunteered at a poverty line middle school 5 years ago. Pretty eye opening - most kids were on the free lunch program, a crime had occurred the previous week where a kid lost his life. All of these kids had iphones.

Tunned

It will probably show your photorealistic avatar
I dread the day we are going to talk to each other remotely using photorealistic avatars, might as well not ever shower and lock yourself at home then, the avatar is always going to look good 🤮

zeroluck

Compare to $1000 iPhone, this isn't that expensive. Curious about the micro oled display, if this thing can deliver better movie watching experience than a 77" TV it is already worth it.

Del_X

It looks cool. Price is a little high but it's basically a macbook with an extra chip strapped to your face.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Normal price for the first product
If it's successful enough the next version will be better and cheaper
That's not how it works. If it's successful, it means people have bought it at that price. If they know people are willing to pay this much for it, why would they reduce the price?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Cheaper than some of Mac computers and cheaper than high end gaming pc...
but this is just a vr gadget that will not do 90% of the things they have shown as well. it was all bullshots.
Nuts to introduce product this expensive in the inflation ridden, poor world of today.

But 100000% it will be sold out
No. Not even close.

Bry0

It looks cool. Price is a little high but it's basically a macbook with an extra chip strapped to your face.
Except is it? Can I get 3rd party apps from the internet or is this like iOS where I can’t side load? Did they explain this and I missed it?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Look...apple are clever....they only have to sell one to an apple fan and they have their r and d costs back.

Well Done Applause GIF

old-parts

It's not really VR but more polished attempt at what Hololens and Magic Leap tried to do.

Apple is worried that something like the Vision Pro could eventually replace smartphones (10-20 years down the road) and so want a horse in the race. Maybe in the future it gets smaller and less silly looking.

Quest VR headset can do some of what the Vision Pro can do but not as well.

Smokken

Banned
Seriously, why the ...99 at the end? People that will buy this count money in the thousands, not ones...
And...
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
There's been extensive research on why stuff are priced in 99 cents/dollars/whatever. Round numbers seems more expensive, so doing the 99 thing tricks people into buying it. People are easily fooled. Marketing have been using this trick since beginning of time basically.

Dr_Ifto

I know Apple buyers are a strange bunch, but what is their target sell through rate? Thats expensive as fuck, and gaming is not even a priority with it.

E-Cat

I dread the day we are going to talk to each other remotely using photorealistic avatars, might as well not ever shower and lock yourself at home then, the avatar is always going to look good 🤮
Cyberpunk is getting closer and closer

marjo

Without revisiting the presentation, OpticID, greater-than-4k OLED displays for each eye, 3D digital persona scanning for video conferencing, external curved OLED display to show the wearer's eyes, and to easily communicate when the wearer can and cannot see people surrounding them, automatic detection if someone is near them and automatically phase that person into their display so they can see them while doing other activities, a super high-end M2/R1 chip built in, unrivaled build quality, an entire Apple quality OS built into taking advantage of the device within the Apple ecosystem from top to bottom, extremely high fidelity augmented reality, including 3D navigable photos and videos.

That's just off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Like, the Valve Index isn't even remotely comparable to what this device is attempting to achieve. That kind of talk reminds me of Steve Ballmer talking about the Windows Mobile & the Motorola Q when the iPhone was introduced.

I still personally think that AR/VR has a very niche consumer appeal, regardless of how well it works or how many feature it offers, but Apple is clearly going for something that no one has ever attempted thus far.

It's clear that you're not well versed in the existing VR products out there. Nothing you mentioned is revolutionary in the least. Things like the advent of room scale, inside out tracking, wireless stand-alone, etc. were revolutionary. A better screen, better pass through, and 'persona scanning' are not. There's nothing you mentioned that makes this incomparable to something like the Index, PSVR2, Quest Pro, etc..

It's simply an evolution of current tech and at stupid price point.

I don't doubt that certain Apple fanboys will eat it up though.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's clear that you're not well versed in the existing VR products out there. Nothing you mentioned is revolutionary in the least. Things like the advent of room scale, inside out tracking, wireless stand-alone, etc. were revolutionary. A better screen, better pass through, and 'persona scanning' are not. There's nothing you mentioned that makes this incomparable to something like the Index, PSVR2, Quest Pro, etc..

It's simply an evolution of current tech and at stupid price point.

I don't doubt that certain Apple fanboys will eat it up though.

The categories you list as "revolutionary" are a big deal to tech nerds like us but mean nothing to the average consumer.

Some of these sentiments I keep reading make laugh because they honestly sound so much like the days just before the iPod/iPhone/AirPods/Apple Watch/etc.. took off.

I'm not saying that's necessarily going to happen here, but it's clear that that's exactly what Apple's aiming for once again.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope there will be a non pro version with some of the stuff cut out (eye display, built in speakers, ect..). An air version I guess, dont need all that shit to use what vr is best for.
Jerk Off Rick Santorum GIF

There's been extensive research on why stuff are priced in 99 cents/dollars/whatever. Round numbers seems more expensive, so doing the 99 thing tricks people into buying it. People are easily fooled. Marketing have been using this trick since beginning of time basically.
What is the dollar range of that research? I think the 99 stops mattering once you reach a certain monetary value.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A lot of people are thinking in the moment.

thats why the price is “high”

it’s extremely advanced

I’m here thinking about the application.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't see myself wanting the Vision Pro, but the 15" MacBook Air has my attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom