• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

ZoukGalaxy

200.gif
START AT 3500$
Grumpy Cat Party GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

E-Cat

This thing is so out of wack to the rest of the market I simply have no idea how to process it. It's also doing stuff that is totally different from what everyone else is doing. It definitely reminds me of the original iPod and iPhone, where Apple took a product that did exist on the market and built out their own paradigm and understanding of it. The classic comment from Slashdot "Less space than a Nomad. Lame" sums up the typical computer nerd thinking, and of course people dogged on the iPhone for a lack of stylus. In both cases Apple was proven right. But just because it reminds me of those two doesn't mean that this is another one or that Apple will be proven right in five years. I have no dout that there are tons of people ready to spend the money on this, but that is simply conspicuous consumption. It doesn't mean it is on the path to successful. We are already seeing the "why are you poor lmao" comments, which is exactly what Apple wants.

Is this Vision Pro going to establish and legitimtize VR/AR going forward, or just some weird novelty that Apple will evolve and simplify over time (I would argue this is how the Apple Watch has gone, where if you look at the original presentation it is clear they had grand plans but it turned out to be a glorified fitness tracker in the end, although a reasonably successful one). Nobody knows.

Microsoft was working on devices just like this, but they abandoned it, whether from lack of vision or lack of desire to put something out this expensive, I don't know, but I wonder what former members of their HoloLens/MR team are thinking right now.
I can def see some similarities to the original iPhone unveil, especially the skepticism. Steve Ballmer be like "the business types hate it because it doesn't have a keyboard". This is what disruption looks like.

This shit is not a car.

People will pay top dollar for a car because it has essential primary utility.

This doesn't.

It's an AR toy that doesn't do anything meaningful over other devices a fraction of the price, while being marketed towards commercial enterprises without giving any practical superior use case for the device.

Apple fans will buy whatever their lord shits out. But why should early adopters or businesses buy this?

What functionality does it offer that can't be done on significantly cheaper devices?

It's a joke.

I'll explain another way - if a person is buying a $25K car (half the price of average car sale in the U.S.), most likely a $60K+ car is completely out of the question for the person. The sheer gross dollar amount difference, loan amount difference, is just unfathomable. However, the same person who has a $25K car will view this VR/AR headset as something that is expensive as fuck BUT it is attainable if they wanted it enough. People will be surprised by the market for this.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'll explain another way - if a person is buying a $25K car (half the price of average car sale in the U.S.), most likely a $60K+ car is completely out of the question for the person. The sheer gross dollar amount, loan amount, is just unfathomable. However, the same person who has a $25K car will view this VR/AR headset as something that is expensive as fuck BUT it is attainable if they wanted it enough. People will be surprised by the market for this.
Do people want to use a computer strapped to their face? Apple says yes, but I have doubts. They talk about how it is like a big screen TV but it has the same problem as VR headsets, it is isolating while big screen TVs are communal. There might be a market but the basic premise of this thing requires a rethink in computing, VR, TV, etc.

E-Cat

I'll explain another way - if a person is buying a $25K car (half the price of average car sale in the U.S.), most likely a $60K+ car is completely out of the question for the person. The sheer gross dollar amount, loan amount, is just unfathomable. However, the same person who has a $25K car will view this VR/AR headset as something that is expensive as fuck BUT it is attainable if they wanted it enough. People will be surprised by the market for this.
Yeah, $3,500 is affordable for most people who really want it, as in they can physically do it. A $30k Model 3 may be the best value for money in the world and infinitely desirable, but there are people who simply do not have $30k so can't afford it no matter what.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's also doing stuff that is totally different from what everyone else is doing.
I dunno - software seems to be doing stuff everyone else has been doing for 10 years. There was nothing shown that looked imaginative, let alone innovative, content wise - and a lot of it the UX design principles looked outdated and clunky.

Hardware is expensive and showy and certainly impressively specced - but they failed to show why you'd want it other than the logo on it.

E-Cat

Do people want to use a computer strapped to their face? Apple says yes, but I have doubts. They talk about how it is like a big screen TV but it has the same problem as VR headsets, it is isolating while big screen TVs are communal. There might be a market but the basic premise of this thing requires a rethink in computing, VR, TV, etc.
But it is not isolating, you see the outside world and they see your eyes. So it does not have the same problem as other VR headsets.

And let's face it, most of the time you watch TV you wanna be left the hell alone, it's not the same kind of communal experience as going to the cinema.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What functionality does it offer that can't be done on significantly cheaper devices?
what functionality does the Iphone offer that can't be done on a significantly cheaper device?

All devices can do (most of) whatever you need them to do thanks to the internet and universal standards. It's HOW you do them that counts. It's why many of the computing innovations in the past 20 years have been about revolutionizing the way you do things and not giving you brand new functionality

E-Cat

It got to have that Apple Price...

You could literally buy all the consoles + PSVR2 and there would sitll be money left for a bunch of games.
Given the choice, I'd rather have the Apple headset. And this is coming from someone who hates Apple products. There will be enough folks like me to gobble up production, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
I'm expecting idiot will wearing these walking on the street just to look cool or fking showoff.

diffusionx

Gold Member
But it is not isolating, you see the outside world and they see your eyes. So it does not have the same problem as other VR headsets.

And let's face it, most of the time you watch TV you wanna be left the hell alone, it's not the same kind of communal experience as going to the cinema.
It's isolating in that you cant watch a movie with your family, unless you all have the headsets, something I am sure Apple is happy to provide.

My point is that even if you think the $3500 is worth it, if you dont believe in the basic premise of the device you're not going to spend the money. It's not like the iPhone where by that point most adults had cell phones and understood the value they brought on a basic level.

Agreed and I'm definitely with you that I'm not looking for an isolating experience when watching a movie/tv or even the suffocating experience of having a VR headset strapped to my face for hours. The appeal of this for me would not be having a giant screen on my eyes and doubt the audio quality would compete with a nice surround setup. Regardless, I guess I am one of the few that is looking forward to the productivity or "desktop" aspects of it and development of these aspects over time. Like I do think it would be cool if this can essentially function as my "phone" during the workday - have my to do lists/calendar on the side as I work on my desktop, be ready to go for zoom meetings, have my news headlines/stock info pop up on the side. The geek/nerd in me see this as the first device that will someday be able to recognize just regular real life items I'm looking at and spit out a bunch of info about it. Or this is the first step in the eventual device that's similar to the one in the Horizon game.

Clearly this item is for early adopters or "beta testers" but I like Apple's vision and the tech in it is definitely worth the price in my opinion

E-Cat

It's isolating in that you cant watch a movie with your family, unless you all have the headsets, something I am sure Apple is happy to provide.

My point is that even if you think the $3500 is worth it, if you dont believe in the basic premise of the device you're not going to spend the money. It's not like the iPhone where by that point most adults had cell phones and understood the value they brought on a basic level.
Why is everyone talking of $3,500 as if "hurr durr mass adoption won't happen at that price point"? Like, no shit it won't happen at that price point. And that's not Apple's plan if you think about it even for a second. They will drive the volume they can at this price and move onto subsequent lower tiers on future iterations.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why is everyone talking of $3,500 as if "hurr durr mass adoption won't happen at that price point"? Like, no shit it won't happen at that price point. And that's not Apple's plan if you think for even a second, they will drive the volume they can at this price and move onto subsequent lower tiers in future iterations.
It could cost 1/10th of that price, but if people dont want to use a computer attached to their face, it's not going to sell. That is how Apple is positioning it - a computer with a new AR interface - and it's the basic premise of the device.

Last edited:

E-Cat

It could cost 1/10th of that price, but if people dont want to use a computer attached to their face, it's not going to sell. That is how Apple is positioning it - a computer with a new AR interface - and it's the basic premise of the device.
Well, yeah, it won't have smartphone-like adoption or anything like that for a decade or two until they can be literally implanted into a contact lens or something. I bet the demand for a sufficiently compelling, affordable "computer attached to your face" is still hundreds of millions, though.

Apple has been pretty successful so it is a bit hard to downplay any new announcement that they make but this smells DOA all over it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is no product with this level of tech out there right now, it's definitely an eye catcher and if you're into technology (and have money) you want this and are excited about this. In my opinion, an exciting tech product launch like this hasn't happened since the original Tesla Model S (post iphone tech release).

I'm into technology and could buy this without taking out a stupid loan for it, but I don't really want it nor am I very excited about it. I just don't see what it does that I can't already do. I have a phone, a laptop, a TV. This seems to be little more than a less convenient iPad. It doesn't do anything new, just the same old stuff in a flashier way. It's not like VR gaming, which is truly a different experience that you simply cannot have on a flat screen with a regular controller.

Last edited:
Apple has been pretty successful so it is a bit hard to downplay any new announcement that they make but this smells DOA all over it.

Have they been successful in getting people to do something that they don't want to do?

The reason 3dtvs failed is because people don't want to wear things on their faces. Same reason VR adoption is limited.

I literally had laser surgery so I wouldn't have to wear glasses.

I guess I didn't want anything on my wrist but I bought an apple watch (though I barely wear it).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
all comes down to how it all really looks when it's on your head, sweet spot, blur etc. I don't believe any of those bullshots and claims it will replace your tv but that is not to say it could really be next level good. I want to test it.
At that resolution, and with good optics, it could be a pretty good TV-watching experience, I'm sure. I just don't find watching TV alone to be that compelling of an application.

It was bizarre to see even in the facetime portion of the presentation, there was no demonstration of virtual hang outs or social presence, just looking at videos on a screen. It's so weird how mundane they want everything to be.

This thing is so out of wack to the rest of the market I simply have no idea how to process it. It's also doing stuff that is totally different from what everyone else is doing. It definitely reminds me of the original iPod and iPhone, where Apple took a product that did exist on the market and built out their own paradigm and understanding of it. The classic comment from Slashdot "Less space than a Nomad. Lame" sums up the typical computer nerd thinking, and of course people dogged on the iPhone for a lack of stylus. In both cases Apple was proven right. But just because it reminds me of those two doesn't mean that this is another one or that Apple will be proven right in five years. I have no dout that there are tons of people ready to spend the money on this, but that is simply conspicuous consumption. It doesn't mean it is on the path to successful. We are already seeing the "why are you poor lmao" comments, which is exactly what Apple wants.

Is this Vision Pro going to establish and legitimtize VR/AR going forward, or just some weird novelty that Apple will evolve and simplify over time (I would argue this is how the Apple Watch has gone, where if you look at the original presentation it is clear they had grand plans but it turned out to be a glorified fitness tracker in the end, although a reasonably successful one). Nobody knows.

Microsoft was working on devices just like this, but they abandoned it, whether from lack of vision or lack of desire to put something out this expensive, I don't know, but I wonder what former members of their HoloLens/MR team are thinking right now.
A sane response in a sea of shit takes.

"This thing is so out of wack to the rest of the market I simply have no idea how to process it." that sums this up better than anything I have read so far.

While I like you have no idea where visionpro ends up, tech history is so filled with hot takes of people shitting on apple product launches, you would think that people would be hesitant to pre-dunk on this.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Right. And VR has the potential to be communal in its own way, to bring distant people together in a virtual space with social presence and natural interaction, but somehow they showed NONE of that. Even the FaceTime section was talking to video windows. They're trying to make everything so normal that they're missing the point entirely of doing something new.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It's worse experience than existing VR headsets because it doesn't come with any motion controllers,
meaning most VR games aren't even gonna be playable on this thing.

Productivity and gesture controls do not mix.
And using traditional keyboards/controllers completely goes against the whole point of AR/VR.

The primary thing they showed it being used for is the most boring use of AR/VR, being used as virtual screens.
And the fact they didn't show anything unique is an admission that even apple are struggling with designing software for this thing.

It's kinda wild, because I feel like even meta did a far better job showing actual use cases for their headset.

I's actually a worse product than the competition when you take into account it's (lack of) capabilities.
Sure, the hardware specs seems good, you're paying for it with the price, and the lack of battery life. and apple knows well, that specs don't change the game.

I expect this will still sell to the hardcore apple crowd on marketing hype alone. Whether people actually use it once the novelty has worn out? I doubt it.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Cheaper than some of Mac computers and cheaper than high end gaming pc...
but this is just a vr gadget that will not do 90% of the things they have shown as well. it was all bullshots.
Nuts to introduce product this expensive in the inflation ridden, poor world of today.

But 100000% it will be sold out
Their fanboys eat this shit up. They will pop in PSVR/Occulus threads just to say, "should have got an Apply VPRO" so they can brag about their pathetic fanboy devotion. FFS these are people who buy cases for their phones with holes in them to show a fucking logo and put apple stickers on their work provided Windows PCs to cover the Dell/HP logos. Lets not forget that Apply pioneered the closed device, no SD slot, charge a shit ton for storage bullshit. They make their products obnoxiously pricey so people will buy them to show off.

I'm into technology and could buy this without taking out a stupid loan for it, but I don't really want it nor am I very excited about it. I just don't see what it does that I can't already do. I have a phone, a laptop, a TV. This seems to be little more than a less convenient iPad. It doesn't do anything new, just the same old stuff in a flashier way. It's not like VR gaming, which is truly a different experience that you simply cannot have on a flat screen with a regular controller.
This is the underlying issue here, we don't know if Apples messaging on this device will eventually match peoples expectations or if they missed the boat.

The guy at the conference when this was announced said you could have a high-end computer with monitors, an hdr 4K premium Tv, top of the line audio, and great smartphone and other tech, and it would still not be able to do everything the Vision Pro could do.

A lot of people missed that bit at the end before he send the mic back to Tim, but those who did immediately though he was bullshitting but it's clear based on how obviously prepared ahead of time that conference was that Apple actually believes that and it wasn't a joke.

Apple now has to convince future buyers of this product, that it can replace all those items they just said can't catch up with the Vision Pro put together. Might be the craziest marketing strategy I ever seen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Their fanboys eat this shit up. They will pop in PSVR/Occulus threads just to say, "should have got an Apply VPRO" so they can brag about their pathetic fanboy devotion. FFS these are people who buy cases for their phones with holes in them to show a fucking logo and put apple stickers on their work provided Windows PCs to cover the Dell/HP logos. Lets not forget that Apply pioneered the closed device, no SD slot, charge a shit ton for storage bullshit. They make their products obnoxiously pricey so people will buy them to show off.

This isn't a gaming headset you dufus. I swear the Apple "haters" are more pathetic than the Apple "fans".

Actually they added that colorful fart gas on the outside of the display so the headset can detect when someone is nearby and will randomly pop them in your fov. If you're too immersed it becomes this very thick green-blue fog to let the person know you should not be disturbed because you are too immersed.

I actually wonder how much they could have saved on the price by removing that feature.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
1003874483.jpg

fucked over the mp3 player market
530201361437PM_635_Apple_iPhone_first_gen.png

revolutionized smartphone market

t600x362.jpg

made a functioning tablet that is so far ahead it hurts

0b1c4692-a806-474e-ab95-6f1bf0da2d77_1.0a019cd1ed483d14830c72604bb46dd2.jpeg

made smartwatches sexy instead of a wrist calculator

airpod-1st-generation-no-skin_640x.jpg

not even going to start explaining what happened to the wireless headphone market after apple tried
RXPXgSvVxwITPRpU.large

so many people ditching their wacoms and using the apple pencil

apple-m1-processor-chip-100866172-large.jpg

fuck me it's an actual laptop with 16 hours of battery life that wrecks competition in speed

apple bad

Last edited:

Hugare

1003874483.jpg

fucked over the mp3 player market
530201361437PM_635_Apple_iPhone_first_gen.png

revolutionized smartphone market

t600x362.jpg

made a functioning tablet that is so far ahead it hurts

0b1c4692-a806-474e-ab95-6f1bf0da2d77_1.0a019cd1ed483d14830c72604bb46dd2.jpeg

made smartwatches sexy instead of a wrist calculator

airpod-1st-generation-no-skin_640x.jpg

not even going to start explaining what happened to the wireless headphone market after apple tried
RXPXgSvVxwITPRpU.large

so many people ditching their wacoms and using the apple pencil

apple-m1-processor-chip-100866172-large.jpg

fuck me it's an actual laptop with 16 hours of battery life that wrecks competition in speed

apple bad

No one is questioning how good the headset is

But $3500, man

This thing wont be popular. Or I'm too out of touch with the real world.

Raonak

Banned
/getting defensive over a hardware product and deflecting valid criticisms by pointing to a completely different product

You realise apple aren't paying you right?
And even if they were, I don't think even your commission covers the 3500 price tag 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom