• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No one is questioning how good the headset is

But $3500, man

This thing wont be popular. Or I'm too out of touch with the real world.
rumors are they will be releasing another headset priced like an iphone for the masses (cheaper build quality and not as high res) this is cutting edge stuff.
is it stupid expensive? yes
would i preferred it to cost more like a macbook pro ? 2K area? yup
but i'm glad this is a thing.

looking at the big picture.. Apple yet again showing the industry how to innovate and grow, like their past stuff.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Spatial computing is such a fancy way of saying mixed reality.

As a consumer, I’m having a hard time understanding the value of this. To be fair, this is being sold under the “Pro” moniker despite the advertising showing end users watching movies and playing with it while they cook and play soccer in the kitchen(?). Apple sees this as a desktop/laptop/TV/monitor replacement. If it would have released during a pandemic it would have probably done ok.

As an end user as opposed to a pro user, I don’t see what this will do that the Quest 3 can’t do. Quest 3 is highly geared for mixed reality and is going to have full Quest 2 bc, wireless PCVR, and games like Asgard’s Wrath 2.

Nice quality headset, though, aside from the wired pocket battery setup.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
i think it's from belkin, and i want it bad haha

The Belkin stand I think is around 150 for the iPhone, Watch, and air Pods charger 3-in-1.

No one is questioning how good the headset is

But $3500, man

This thing wont be popular. Or I'm too out of touch with the real world.

Depends. This is clearly not being designed for general public use. No more than Mac Studio or Mac Pros are.

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible?

2 hours !

Two Hours !!

TWO. FUCKING. HOURS !!!

Two 4K micro LED Lenses, at least 4-6 high resolution cameras that I remember counting boht inside and outside - built in audio as well. Shit would drain battery like crazy, but it shouldn't be two hours. Going to assume htey are using a very weak battery. Regardless, it can be plugged in normally with a long cord so you can just enjoy it without any issues.

1003874483.jpg

fucked over the mp3 player market
530201361437PM_635_Apple_iPhone_first_gen.png

revolutionized smartphone market

t600x362.jpg

made a functioning tablet that is so far ahead it hurts

0b1c4692-a806-474e-ab95-6f1bf0da2d77_1.0a019cd1ed483d14830c72604bb46dd2.jpeg

made smartwatches sexy instead of a wrist calculator

airpod-1st-generation-no-skin_640x.jpg

not even going to start explaining what happened to the wireless headphone market after apple tried
RXPXgSvVxwITPRpU.large

so many people ditching their wacoms and using the apple pencil

apple-m1-processor-chip-100866172-large.jpg

fuck me it's an actual laptop with 16 hours of battery life that wrecks competition in speed

apple bad

A company so progressive, so avant-garde that it stopped including these with their 1000-1500 eurodollar devices :

1843W-03X-002-1-621739_1.jpg

SUCH A FORWARD THINKING AND GOOD COMPANY

Man, fook corporate worship and the sense of elitism that derives from buying overpriced and overhyped "luxury" toys.

It's a company with a target group/demographic made (almost) entirely of spackers, there's a reason why many people show discontent for this specific company and it's not because they can't buy a 1000 eurodollar phone...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Unlike "typical Apple style", I can actually see the value in this product. It's not a bullshit premium, like a fucking screen stand for $999. No, it's not 'affordable' -- but has good value for the hardware you're getting? I would say so.

That's some serious attempts at trying to justify something. It has at most a $1000 worth of parts, plus the screen and lenses, at most this thing cost $2000 to build. (Probably closer to $1500) Its 100% a bullshit premium. But go ahead and keep on talking about value.

The iPhone at $599 launch, had value. This is an expensive computer with a vr screen. It's great no doubt, but competition will bring something similar within 2 years for half the price. Much different than the iPhone or iPad.

Will they sell 150k? Sure, there's enough curious people with money.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A company so progressive, so avant-garde that it stopped including these with their 1000-1500 eurodollar devices :

Man, fook corporate worship and the sense of elitism that derives from buying overpriced and overhyped "luxury" toys.

It's a company with a target group/demographic made (almost) entirely of spackers, there's a reason why many people show discontent for this specific company and it's not because they can't buy a 1000 eurodollar phone...
and yet samsung does the same fuckign thing.
it's against e-waste it's a good thing

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Why would anyone need a charger when most already own 5+ USB-C chargers? There is a lot to criticize Apple for. Not having generic chargers? Not really one of them, mate.

That's some serious attempts at trying to justify something. It has at most a $1000 worth of parts, plus the screen and lenses, at most this thing cost $2000 to build. (Probably closer to $1500) Its 100% a bullshit premium. But go ahead and keep on talking about value.

The iPhone at $599 launch, had value. This is an expensive computer with a vr screen. It's great no doubt, but competition will bring something similar within 2 years for half the price. Much different than the iPhone or iPad.

Will they sell 150k? Sure, there's enough curious people with money.
Sure, in raw materials. Then you need to get them made and designed to work together. Raw materials will always make a device look much cheaper than it really is. Go look at any major gaming PC. In Raw Materials you would think it would all cost around 500-1000 dollars total. Not the case with reality. Cost of producing parts, the workers, the designers, the technicians, QA, QC. Even something as simple as an N95 Mask has a *lot* that goes into them. Now imagine a high end luxury Tech piece.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yes. That is literally what I said. Doesn't change the fact that high end gaming PCs were, for a good while, even more expensive than this headset is. Which was what that original argument was trying to claim wasn't true.
It's not true though. Not today. Not whenever this abomination comes out. A top end PC built today is far cheaper than 3500. Christ.

The Belkin stand I think is around 150 for the iPhone, Watch, and air Pods charger 3-in-1.

Depends. This is clearly not being designed for general public use. No more than Mac Studio or Mac Pros are.

Two 4K micro LED Lenses, at least 4-6 high resolution cameras that I remember counting boht inside and outside - built in audio as well. Shit would drain battery like crazy, but it shouldn't be two hours. Going to assume htey are using a very weak battery. Regardless, it can be plugged in normally with a long cord so you can just enjoy it without any issues.

I get that and I mean that's the saving grace but there's 0 portability with this thing if you can't access a power source. 2 hours is shockingly poor for a device that costs that much money.

I guess 2 hours is long enough for you to find the next power outlet. The tech this has is brilliant though so credit where its due. Let's hope they can source better batteries to provide some sort of decent battery life. Decent as in a couple hours (6-8 hours would be alright considering the specs of this thing).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why would anyone need a charger when most already own 5+ USB-C chargers? There is a lot to criticize Apple for. Not having generic chargers? Not really one of them, mate.

Sure, in raw materials. Then you need to get them made and designed to work together. Raw materials will always make a device look much cheaper than it really is. Go look at any major gaming PC. In Raw Materials you would think it would all cost around 500-1000 dollars total. Not the case with reality. Cost of producing parts, the workers, the designers, the technicians, QA, QC. Even something as simple as an N95 Mask has a *lot* that goes into them. Now imagine a high end luxury Tech piece.

Sure, ok, $2500 then seems fair. $1000 Apple tax for your pleasure.

Fahdis

My $300 nreal airs already do half this shit without the full 4K screen effect and coupled with the S Pen you can have a full experience. If you people were smart you would wait for Samsung, LG, Sony and other companies to offer better alternatives before splurging $3500. I can afford this due to disposable income but that price for a VR headset. Fuck no.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sure, ok, $2500 then seems fair. $1000 Apple tax for your pleasure.

No, more like $3000 USD with a 500 dollar Apple Tax. Let's be realistic here.

I get that and I mean that's the saving grace but there's 0 portability with this thing if you can't access a power source. 2 hours is shockingly poor for a device that costs that much money.

I guess 2 hours is long enough for you to find the next power outlet. The tech this has is brilliant though so credit where its due. Let's hope they can source better batteries to provide some sort of decent battery life. Decent as in a couple hours (6-8 hours would be alright considering the specs of this thing).

Yep, the battery is indefensible. It definitely needs to improve. I have seen battery packs power full gaming rigs for longer than 2 hours.

It's not true though. Not today. Not whenever this abomination comes out. A top end PC built today is far cheaper than 3500. Christ.

You are just moving goalposts. The point was that gaming PCs *were* more expensive, relatively recently, than this.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No, more like $3000 USD with a 500 dollar Apple Tax. Let's be realistic here.

Yep, the battery is indefensible. It definitely needs to improve. I have seen battery packs power full gaming rigs for longer than 2 hours.

You are just moving goalposts. The point was that gaming PCs *were* more expensive, relatively recently, than this.
No I'm not. You're not understanding. The post I was replying to said it's cheaper than a high end gaming PC. He didn't say a year ago. He didn't say two years ago. He didn't say six months ago. He was referring to right now. Read his post again.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
A lot of people are thinking in the moment.

thats why the price is “high”

it’s extremely advanced

I’m here thinking about the application.

I heard this when Microsoft revealed Hololens. 😂

And about NFT, Crypto, and all that crapola.

looking at the big picture.. Apple yet again showing the industry how to innovate and grow, like their past stuff.

By plagiarizing Microsoft's failed product from nearly 10 years ago.

Apple bros are truly the most gullible living beings in the universe. 😂

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So peoples did get to try out the headset after WWDC? Where are the impressions?

Btw, in case peoples don't understand the high end market for VR/AR headsets

Varjo XR-3 $6,495

You're not the customer, it's ok.

I think if i was single, i would consider buying it. Having an IMAX screen in your home with good PPI and micro-OLED blacks and nits is nuts. Doesn't work for a family though. Just for movies i would consider it.

Last edited:
I’m a huge Apple fanboy and I’m laughing at the price 😂😂😂.

It’s great looking tech but $3500 for it is highway robbery. The apps won’t look the same way in AR like they looked in that presentation. I’m wondering who this is for. I’m exactly the type of person this device is supposed to be targeting. I’m a hardcore gamer, I’m an Apple enthusiast, I’m also a VR enthusiast but I have very low interest in this outside of gaming and the Apple Arcade games on a big virtual screen or VR don’t really appeal to me. I prefer AAA VR games like what Sony is giving us with GT7, RE8 and RE4. I don’t see the Vision Pro giving out VR games on the same level.

The AR functionalities while cool are mostly gimmicky to me. They’ll be nice for a while but I can see myself getting bored with them fast. I can see myself watching movies a lot with it but I already do that with my PSVR2 right now and while the Vision Pro looks even more comfortable than the PSVR, I don’t think it’s worth the premium.

I asked my dad who is also an Apple guy that buys everything Apple if he was getting this and he laughed and said no. I don’t see it being very successful initially but I’m happy to see Apple in the VR/AR space. A rising tide lifts all ships so Apple in the VR space will drive competition and innovation. Bringing down prices and eventually making VR/AR mainstream in the future. I’m looking forward to future iterations of this tech much later with hopefully more affordable prices.

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s crazy that some people were claiming it’s cheaper than a new high end PC.

Literally just built one from scratch with everything but a new GPU for about $2,600CAD (1,935USD). Pop in a Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 7900xtx in there and I’d be at $4,175 with taxes included.

Apple VR is $4,935CAD assuming a straight usd to cad conversion without any international pricing bs.

Nydius

Gold Member
When it goes up for pre order, it's going to sell out immediately. How many more examples of "Who's going to spend $1000+ for a phone" or "who's going to spend $150+ for ear buds" do we need before it starts getting old.
Late to the thread but not sure I agree here. I recall people making the exact same arguments about Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser.

"It doesn't matter if it starts at $5,000, it's Star Wars, it will sell out to the rich people and Disney Adults who can afford to go, and they'll keep coming back."

That was the common argument made when the price points for the place were revealed. They sounded pretty logical. People spend a metric fuckton of money to go to Disney. I personally know people who have literally mortgaged their house to take their kids to a Disney resort. So it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that they'd pay a ton for a curated Star Wars experience at Disney.

Until they didn't.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that people are going to buy this in droves simply because it's an Apple device.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

It’s crazy that some people were claiming it’s cheaper than a new high end PC.

Literally just built one from scratch with everything but a new GPU for about $2,600CAD (1,935USD). Pop in a Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 7900xtx in there and I’d be at $4,175 with taxes included.

Apple VR is $4,935CAD assuming a straight usd to cad conversion without any international pricing bs.

Yea for sure,

But i mean, here i am looking for a 120" long throw projector with acoustically transparent screen and full dolby atmos sound, etc.

Getting this and get an IMAX size display for movie? If i was single, i would consider it hard..

My brother actually is excited for this, his vision gets really tired from monitors. Working on a PC task with a >200" monitor is something he actually wanted out of a Quest 2 but that failed horribly in pixel density. I don't think he'll pay $5k CAD, but it picked his interest.

Only apple can charge this amount
The tech might be great inside but no company would have the balls to launch the product at this price
Meta , valve , Microsoft , Sony any releasing at this price is instantly death except apple with their loyal sheep.
I can bet a million dollars it will be instantly sold out at launch

hinch7

This shit is not a car.

People will pay top dollar for a car because it has essential primary utility.

This doesn't.

It's an AR toy that doesn't do anything meaningful over other devices a fraction of the price, while being marketed towards commercial enterprises without giving any practical superior use case for the device.

Apple fans will buy whatever their lord shits out. But why should early adopters or businesses buy this?

What functionality does it offer that can't be done on significantly cheaper devices?

It's a joke.
Yeah I mean a phone+TV basically does everything this does. And chances are if you're spending over 3 grand on a piece of hardware.. you'd have some good devices in their homes already. And besides that, assuming money is no object its still a pain because of the short battery life and you'd have to deal with pair of goggles strapped across on your face to access stuff you already have access to.

I don't see the appeal, unless its for the very, very niche casual VR crowd that fomos and likes shiny new toys to play with.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I know 2 hours isn't good. But have you tried using VR for more than an hour at a time? The technology in general is just nauseating and uncomfortable.

Griffon

Yup, price is a joke.

But what is really interesting is the fact that apple is promoting XR as an infinite screen replacement, with an actual productivity ecosystem and OS. And not showing people waggling around like morons.

The hardware price might be a joke, but on the software side Apple are the ones who finally truly get it, at long last.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm hearing this "a tide lifts all ship" wishful thinking a lot from VR bros, but a dramatic and very visible failure by a company like apple could easily sink the ships too.
Good thing it’s not only Apple in the business. I see more companies jumping in too and even taking over from where Apple leaves off if they fail. VR will become mainstream in the future. It has real applications and definitely enhances gaming. It’s not going anywhere despite some people wanting it to fail.

Buggy Loop

Yup, price is a joke.

But what is really interesting is the fact that apple is promoting XR as an infinite screen replacement, with an actual productivity ecosystem and OS. And not showing people waggling around like morons.

The hardware price might be a joke, but on the software side Apple are the ones who finally truly get it, at long last.

Yea, still sucks that Apple doesn't want to touch VR with a ten foot pole. In fact Tim never mentioned the word VR, not even mixed reality. All 100% AR. Apple has something against the VR principle of covering your face with the blindfold cover headset and escape reality to a game one.

I still think for the mass, AR will be a bigger seller than VR, once price plummets. Not my main interest though. I really love VR games.

supernova8

Banned
OK so some thoughts:

Positives
-Apple's presentations are slick as fuuuuuuck.
-Seems like it will fully integrate with Apple devices
-Seems to support magic trackpad and keyboard
-Ability to take 3D photo/video is pretty awesome
-Aesthetically pleasing
-Apple seems to be really going all-in on this, I personally cannot see it being a fad
-Displays are OLED and seemingly very high resolution
-Big focus on pass-through/AR so hopefully nauseau won't be an issue
-If it's running M2 then presumably a lot of the apps that run on M-chips macs natively now will be easy-ish to "port" into AR?

Negatives
-Obviously the price
-Battery life of 2 hours? How are you supposed to even watch a decent length movie then?
-Thin on details in terms of integration with popular apps, but presumably all the major Apple ones will get updates
-Maybe the device is heavy? They didn't mention the weight, which suggests they had a reason for not mentioning it

Question left unanswered
-What is the connection for the battery? Don't tell me its fucking proprietary... or at least let me charge the battery without having to buy some over-priced thing
-If we can buy extra batteries, is there hot-swapping?
-If your battery runs out, does your interface stay as it was when it powered off or do you need to go back and arrange your "view" again?
-Is it possible to bring up two or more monitors when "connected" to a Macbook?
-Does it work with all Macs or just Macbooks?
-If I and a friend both had a Vision Pro, is it possible for us to "share" a movie experience in the same room? i.e., would it be able to sync our experiences so that we're looking at the same thing?
-Since they called it Vision Pro, that implies there will be a non-Pro version eventually, but how much will that be?
-What sacrifices would the non-Pro have? Is it just going to be on par with a Quest 3 (or even Quest 2) but cost $999 just because it's Apple and they people will bite?

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Good thing it’s not only Apple in the business. I see more companies jumping in too and even taking over from where Apple leaves off if they fail. VR will become mainstream in the future. It has real applications and definitely enhances gaming. It’s not going anywhere despite some people wanting it to fail.

... any time now... 😏

Neo_game

I do not know why people think this is going to sell well. Did Apple 6K monitor also sell well ?

They are only releasing it in the US first and I think it will be limited quantity as well. Probably a 1500 or 2000$ one down the line as well. But if it does well. Hopefully next gen we can get this quality VR device for games.

Buggy Loop

Question left unanswered
-What is the connection for the battery? Don't tell me its fucking proprietary... or at least let me charge the battery without having to buy some over-priced thing

Its USB-C for charging the battery.
The connection from battery to headset is proprietary, it's like a magsafe connector to the headset so that if it gets yanked you don't pull on the headset too hard or you break your neck or something.

-If we can buy extra batteries, is there hot-swapping?

I wouldn't think so. That would require a battery in the headset just for the swap.

-Since they called it Vision Pro, that implies there will be a non-Pro version eventually, but how much will that be?
-What sacrifices would the non-Pro have? Is it just going to be on par with a Quest 3 (or even Quest 2) but cost $999 just because it's Apple and they people will bite?

They are apparently. Down to an iphone price

For sure they won't switch from u-OLED to say an LCD to save costs. It's completely against the whole concept of vision. You would have shit PPI and image quality.
micro-OLED will plummet in price to begin with in the coming year, bigscreen and megane X are already seeing production costs lower down. I would think that maybe a few feature drops would also alleviate the price? What is acceptable to drop though, display resolution? M2 to M1? Heavier materials? Less cameras but could potentially sacrifice AR?
Apple will not sacrifice the outward facing screen for your face, they are inherently against "covering" your face, there must be a huge cost associated with that.

The external screen is "3D" like how autostereoscopic devices work. With a lenticular lens.
Someone looking at you sees the correct perspective depending on what angle they are looking at you from. Completely unnecessary. But they won't give that up.

The rest are very good questions you brought up. Will take time to get all answers.

Top Bottom