• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

supernova8

Banned
Its USB-C for charging the battery.
The connection from battery to headset is proprietary, it's like a magsafe connector to the headset so that if it gets yanked you don't pull on the headset too hard or you break your neck or something.

I wouldn't think so. That would require a battery in the headset just for the swap.

They are apparently. Down to an iphone price

For sure they won't switch from u-OLED to say an LCD to save costs. It's completely against the whole concept of vision. You would have shit PPI and image quality.
micro-OLED will plummet in price to begin with in the coming year, bigscreen and megane X are already seeing production costs lower down. I would think that maybe a few feature drops would also alleviate the price? What is acceptable to drop though, display resolution? M2 to M1? Heavier materials? Less cameras but could potentially sacrifice AR?
Apple will not sacrifice the outward facing screen for your face, they are inherently against "covering" your face, there must be a huge cost associated with that.

The external screen is "3D" like how autostereoscopic devices work. With a lenticular lens.
Someone looking at you sees the correct perspective depending on what angle they are looking at you from. Completely unnecessary. But they won't give that up.

The rest are very good questions you brought up. Will take time to get all answers.
Thanks for answering some of those Qs, looks like I wasn't paying attention haha!

(In my defense it was like almost 4am (Japan) when they finally got around to fucking showing off Vision Pro so I was like half awake).

In that case, the only real problem for me is the price, everything else seems great.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Spatial computing is such a fancy way of saying mixed reality.

As a consumer, I’m having a hard time understanding the value of this. To be fair, this is being sold under the “Pro” moniker despite the advertising showing end users watching movies and playing with it while they cook and play soccer in the kitchen(?). Apple sees this as a desktop/laptop/TV/monitor replacement. If it would have released during a pandemic it would have probably done ok.

As an end user as opposed to a pro user, I don’t see what this will do that the Quest 3 can’t do. Quest 3 is highly geared for mixed reality and is going to have full Quest 2 bc, wireless PCVR, and games like Asgard’s Wrath 2.

Nice quality headset, though, aside from the wired pocket battery setup.
I guess the main thing on offer here is all the computing functionality in a multitasking environment. That is not something I expect Quest to do, and even if it did, it wouldn't have the existing app ecosystem.

But do people really want to get a premium headset just for computing? Not so sure.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So, apparently, this thing does not support glasses at all. These Zeiss prescription lenses they were talking about aren't optional. You HAVE to buy them.

This turd stinks more by the minute. 😂

Last edited:

Stooky

Damn this is cool. Its expensive but the specs are impressive. I get it. Its a development platform like, Mac pro, iPad, iPhone, apple watch. By the the price drops on the tech for everyday consumer they'll have of all the devs and apps ready to go.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So, apparently, this thing does not support glasses at all. These Zeiss prescription lenses they were talking about aren't optional. You HAVE to buy them.

This turd stinks more by the minute. 😂

What's $300 when you can drop $3499? Oh wait, it's apple, they will say they have some sort of apple thing to them and charge $999.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

"I wore the Apple Vision Pro. It’s the best headset demo ever."​

Headset weighs less than a pound, so <450 grams. In comparison the PSVR2 weighs 560 grams and Quest Pro 722 grams

Goddamn! How did they pull that off?

It's a really advanced headset, but that weight probably doesn't include the battery and power cable that could come in around 130-150gr. There's also variations in headstrap weight. Quest 2 is 503gr with fabric headstrap and 625gr with Elite headstrap.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

fws7lmafda4b1.jpg

Beats $6.5k Varjo XR-3

“bUT whY is iT exPENsive?”

Raonak

Banned
This will sell out, but still will have an audience too limited to create a platform for mainstream games.

VR gaming is dead, man. Let it die.

I think it's the opposite, in that gaming is the only real application of VR/AR technology.

I think the idea of it being a everyday lifestyle product, replacing computers, or becoming a productivity tool, or anything of the sort is a dead end.
Eye implants are gonna be required for it to be an everyday product, and that's decades out from being a real thing.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

It's a really advanced headset, but that weight probably doesn't include the battery and power cable that could come in around 130-150gr. There's also variations in headstrap weight. Quest 2 is 503gr with fabric headstrap and 625gr with Elite headstrap.

Does PSVR 2 have battery?

I mean, removing nearly >250 grams, I’ll take the battery attached to belt any day of that’s the result. Need less bulky head strap, even less weight

MrMephistoX

Apple stores are about to get even more crowded not everyone will be able to afford one but they’ll line up to try it for free and apple will probably need to set time limits and have a guided experience so people don’t hurt themselves in store.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Does PSVR 2 have battery?

I mean, removing nearly >250 grams, I’ll take the battery attached to belt any day of that’s the result. Need less bulky head strap, even less weight
Personally, I think it's ghetto, but to each their own. We'll have to wait for official numbers to see how heavy each individual component is to get a better idea of how it's stacks up.

I think it’s cool Apple is doing this but it seems very much like a scenario where “I can wait 5-10 years” for this to improve and get cheaper

I don’t need a 3,500 VR headset today, but maybe a 1,000 one in a few years

Last edited:

CGNoire

Positive thoughts:
1. The eye pass through and front facing screen looks cool as fuck. Very cyberpunk.
2. Having it auto recognize others and reveal them to you seems pretty cool as well.
3. Watching a huge screen on a plane seems pretty cool.

Negative thoughts:
1. No one wants to wear a headset to watch tv in there living room.
2. No one wants to do productivity or web browesing while wearing a headset.
3. The product seems aimed at rich hipsters and influencers with more money than brains....cough....cough apple bros.
4. Doesnt seemed aimed at VR gamers.
5. That price for what this offers is absurd.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Lol, no it isn’t.
That’s latency of around 80fps VR titles.
Compare to $1000 iPhone, this isn't that expensive. Curious about the micro oled display, if this thing can deliver better movie watching experience than a 77" TV it is already worth it.

I dont think it can deliver a better watching experience as you still looking though a lens that distorts view etc. and the 4K screen per eye is not going to be filled with the virtual TV screen as that screen is there to cover a wide fov. A 77 or 100inch equivalent virtual screen isn’t likely to have the same ppi as your 4k display would. Curious about HDR capabilities.

If it is indeed better the 3500$ would be worth it for movie watching alone.

Fredrik

fws7lmafda4b1.jpg

Beats $6.5k Varjo XR-3

It doesn’t matter. The whole VR/AR industry is seriously accelerating toward an industry wide crash from focusing on hardware instead of software. They all need games games games! AAA games. No, they need AAAA games, system sellers. And no closed ecosystems. They’ll get nowhere with amazing hardware playing mobile games, experimental indie games and VR modes. It’s a wonder Quest reached 20 million people. But even that wasn’t enough and most of the users there let their headset collect dust now, and will be among the crowd not so easily impressed going forward since they know that having a great games library is what actually matters.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
fws7lmafda4b1.jpg

Beats $6.5k Varjo XR-3

I don't get it, why do we care if the pass through is amazing quality? I mean it's nice and all, but this guy seems more in love with the passthru than the amazing image quality of the screens.
I love the whole demo of the person with the headset having a normal conversation with the headset still on in the apple video.
I'm sorry but anything other than a hello or where is that at, and the headset should be taken off. Especially if it's so "light" and easy to deal with. The whole eyes in the screen thing is a gimmick.
And if your meeting remotely in VR, none of that matters.

20cent

Banned

"I wore the Apple Vision Pro. It’s the best headset demo ever."​

Headset weighs less than a pound, so <450 grams. In comparison the PSVR2 weighs 560 grams and Quest Pro 722 grams

Goddamn! How did they pull that off?

The battery is external (?)

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It doesn’t matter. The whole VR/AR industry is seriously accelerating toward an industry wide crash from focusing on hardware instead of software. They all need games games games! AAA games. No, they need AAAA games, system sellers. And no closed ecosystems. They’ll get nowhere with amazing hardware playing mobile games, experimental indie games and VR modes. It’s a wonder Quest reached 20 million people. But even that wasn’t enough and most of the users there let their headset collect dust now, and will be among the crowd not so easily impressed going forward since they know that having a great games library is what actually matters.
It's not games, it's content. That's why they are bringing Disney in and all the data across football games, etc, could be an interesting sales.
They should have shown a 3D program, how would you model 3D for 3D printing, etc. They showed a bit of it, but it seems like their big sell is on a movie experience.

They are not aiming this for gamers.

Fredrik

It's not games, it's content. That's why they are bringing Disney in and all the data across football games, etc, could be an interesting sales.
They should have shown a 3D program, how would you model 3D for 3D printing, etc. They showed a bit of it, but it seems like their big sell is on a movie experience.

They are not aiming this for gamers.
A movie experience with 2 hour battery life? Yeah it’s not going to work.

CGNoire

It’s crazy that some people were claiming it’s cheaper than a new high end PC.

Literally just built one from scratch with everything but a new GPU for about $2,600CAD (1,935USD). Pop in a Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 7900xtx in there and I’d be at $4,175 with taxes included.

Apple VR is $4,935CAD assuming a straight usd to cad conversion without any international pricing bs.
2k before the graphics card means you got ripped off.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't get it, why do we care if the pass through is amazing quality? I mean it's nice and all, but this guy seems more in love with the passthru than the amazing image quality of the screens.
I love the whole demo of the person with the headset having a normal conversation with the headset still on in the apple video.
I'm sorry but anything other than a hello or where is that at, and the headset should be taken off. Especially if it's so "light" and easy to deal with. The whole eyes in the screen thing is a gimmick.
And if your meeting remotely in VR, none of that matters.
It's an AR headset. The passthrough quality is going to be an indicator of how good those features could be.

Elitro

Curious to try it out (in an apple store).

It was funny, they market this product as something very social, with people doing presentations or family talks. But they only very briefly showed that you are visible as a 3d avatar in those talks, if everyone is using the headset, no one is seeing each others real faces :/

The gaming part in the macOS presentation was somewhat interesting, but i believe they should push it a bit harder. Releasing a directors cut for Death Stranding? They missed a good opportunity to make it look like they care. I still feel that gaming will be essential to get people interested in the headset.

Sybrix

I mean it looks very cool but the price is insane, the battery life isnt enough, the only people that will buy is are the rich Apple fanboys.

I'd worry this thing goes the way of the HomePod

MayauMiao

What a bizzare scene. I wonder what the callers are looking at when doing video conference with someone wearing the headset

nf1TGiN.jpg

StueyDuck

It's apple. Americans are brainwashed by this company. This thing is gonna sell ridiculously well even though that price is ludicrous

baphomet

Give me one of these not made by apple, and without the on device apu that I'll never use for $1000 and I'm there day 1.

Fredrik

It's an AR headset. The passthrough quality is going to be an indicator of how good those features could be.
The idea of it all is cool, I’d love to play a Warhammer game, placing troops by hand, walk around and studying the battle field, while still having vision of where the snack is, without the world looking bad or pixelated. If a couple AAA quality games of that sort would arrive and get a 90+ Metacritic score I could see myself buy this just to play with my brother. But the likelyhood of that ever happening is so slim that I won’t bother start saving up the cash. I’ll stay on the now dusty Quest fence until devs show they’re actually ready to invest.

E-Cat

That's some serious attempts at trying to justify something. It has at most a $1000 worth of parts, plus the screen and lenses, at most this thing cost $2000 to build. (Probably closer to $1500) Its 100% a bullshit premium. But go ahead and keep on talking about value.

The iPhone at $599 launch, had value. This is an expensive computer with a vr screen. It's great no doubt, but competition will bring something similar within 2 years for half the price. Much different than the iPhone or iPad.

Will they sell 150k? Sure, there's enough curious people with money.
Can you tell me what M2 and R1 processors cost, the 12 sensors, lidar, and two RGB subpixel almost 5K micro-OLEDs at low volume since you seem to know?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This looks like a great first generation product. I'm really excited to see where it will be in 5 years. I hope we'll eventually get this:

DMXk6Eo.png

something you feel comfortable wearing in the public. I'd love to use something like that while being at the gym or in a bus.

But for now I'm loving what Apple presented. Going for a crazy price tag and delivering something that really feels like the next step hopefully keeps people interested in the future of this tech.
That's the endgame, vr is not gonna get mainstream until the form factor is gonna be that small and light.

Aurelius

Slept on it for a night after watching the presentation, and while it's not for me just yet, I am very, very impressed with what they achieved technically and I can definitely see the future potential.

Apple seem to position it as an evolution of current technology (special computing) instead of as a separate product like PSVR. And I can see myself replacing my current work- and private devices (MacBook Pro, iPad) with this.

I already work remote, but still have a physical workspace in a spare room (desk, computer) but with this device I could really work from anywhere. I can see myself sitting in the garden for example. After work I can unwind on top of a virtual mountain with a beer before spending time with the family. I also love cooking so I could use it to follow recipes on YouTube in real time. And watching a movie or gaming in a virtual theater experience looks amazing. I was also really impressed with the ability to make 3D photo’s and video’s, and relive those moments later. You know this technology will find it’s way to iPhones so you don’t have to wear the headset to take pictures.

But like I said, this is way out of my price range right now. I would also need multiple devices to be able to interact as a family. I don’t think my wife and kids will approve of me being the only one wearing this device.

As a long time Apple user I have learned to never buy their first generation products. I am sure that by gen 3 this will be improved a lot (less bulky, better battery life, M3 chip) and be significantly cheaper.

But very excited that Apple is finally trying something new.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
with this being called the vision Pro I wonder if a cheaper version will come down the line just called apple vision.

they have defiantly nailed it with this just the price point is a bit erm steep

From what I have seen this is the best VR headset to date though

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jesus, finished the Vision Pro keynote after dinner in Rioja with my wife. We were laughing most of the time, it’s just too crazy. M2 chip. And another chip! Iris ID! 12 cameras! Spatial audio speakers! Your face displayed on a monitor! Zeiss lenses! Eyetracking with a gazillion sensors! Your Mac transfers automatically to the screen! They just went full nuts. That was an 7000usd keynote for us 😀

Top Bottom