• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems the new games did okay:

GamesIndustry.biz said:
“Despite overall declines, April title launches in 2013 fared better than games that launched in April 2012, up 118 percent in unit sales and 130 percent in dollar sales. This increase was driven by games like Injustice: Gods Among Us, Dead Island: Riptide, and Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins,” said Callahan.

He added, "Overall declines are stemming from the performance of games launched prior to April; for example, the decrease in sales performance of March launches. Specifically, when looking at video games launching in March 2012, month 2 sales represented 25 percent of the total first two months of sales, which contracted to 17 percent for March 2013 launches. One reason for this might be the decrease in the number of new titles, which can cause sales of a title to be 'front loaded' with a greater amount of sales happening in the first month of its release.”

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...les-nosedive-25-percent-at-us-retail-in-april

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope the 3DS's good performance outweighs NWU's poor performance enough that Nintendo releases a PR statement :lol

Eh, that's the problem. Last month 3DS was up YOY, but Nintendo didn't say anything about its HW sales because, in that case, everyone would have asked for Wii U numbers XD

Dlacy13g

So on the console front 130k is number 1 and has 42% share of the console sales? Wow this doesn't look good for the other platforms. That puts total console sales at roughly 309K? Meaning PS3, WiiU & Wii all splitting up 179k?

Lego City on 3DS seems to be doing well in the US and Europe.

genuine question.. if there is new Lego City games on the horizon shouldnt TT Fusion treat the 3DS version as the main title now?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh wow, going back to it, WiiU numbers could be a fucking unmatched catostrophe since this was Pachter's stab in the dark:

WiiU - 55,000
Wii - 75,000
Xbox 360 - 205,000
PlayStation 3 - 165,000

So Pachter was off by 75k on the 360!!

Amir0x

Banned
If even the 360 could only manage 130k then god help the wii u. Wow.

Seriously the Wii U might just be unimaginably low. What is the lowest single month number for any non-handheld console since NPD started tracking, does anybody know?

Edit: But then I just thought, whatever Wii U will do Vita will be worse so... goddamn these numbers

Sadly, I agree. They'll sell during their launches but I can see sales being low in early 2014 for them. The industry is shifting.

Dedicated consoles don't have unique selling points anymore. Last gen there was all sort of value added content to PS3 and 360 like Netflix, Blu Ray, music streaming, etc. Nowadays every sub $100 device can do that stuff. All that's left is the core gaming experiences, because casual gamers can get sufficient experiences on their laptop, phone or tablet.

GulAtiCa

Lego City on 3DS sold that well? I'm surprised, the Wii U version always seemed to be the better one.

More people have a 3DS, so bigger userbase to sell to.

Anyways, glad to see both 3DS games chart. I wonder what their numbers were. And wow at that low 360 sales amount.

1-D_FTW

So I'm guessing we're going to need to wait for leaks to get any real hardware figures besides 360.

Someone needs to call in the Police Outline Chalk guy, cause this gen is officially murdered.

Azure J

I think you have those last two backward. :(

iW1HKU9S1tDlY.gif

Oh wow, going back to it, WiiU numbers could be a fucking unmatched catostrophe since this was Pachter's stab in the dark:

WiiU - 55,000
Wii - 75,000
Xbox 360 - 205,000
PlayStation 3 - 165,000

Wii U will be like 20k or something.

Vita is immeasurably low.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Seriously the Wii U might just be unimaginably low. What is the lowest single month number for any non-handheld console since NPD started tracking, does anybody know?

Edit: But then I just thought, whatever Wii U will do Vita will be worse so... goddamn these numbers

Conversely, if by some crazy shit the Vita managed to outsell the Wii U... Jesus Christ Nintendo fix this shit!

WiiU - 55,000
Wii - 75,000
Xbox 360 - 205,000
PlayStation 3 - 165,000

He can't afford to be off by that much with the WiiU... and neither can Nintendo :O

sangreal

This is what concerns me though. If we were to get price drops for the 360/PS3, how is that going to affect sales of the PS4/Durango since no one will want to pay those kinds of prices?

They're not targeting the same customers. Price drop is long overdue

#1 console only sold 130K? Christ. Wonder how low the Failure Buddies got.

PS4 and Durango will reinvigorate sales, but I doubt it'll be to the extent the industry needs right now.

Amir0x

Banned
Wii U and Vita numbers are going to be catastrophically bad aren't they?

beyond catastrophically bad would be the proper classification i think. The word 'unprecedented' keeps getting thrown around, by me and others, but... once again... unprecedented.

witness

What the fuck is it going to take for MS and Sony to drop the goddamn price of their consoles? They should only be like $150 by now....

Ridley327

Somebody needs to dig into finding out what Virtual Boy sold in its 6th month because that is now the comparison.

The Virtual Boy in its entire lifespan worldwide was already outsold by the Wii U in its first two months in North America, so that's probably not the most constructive comparison point.

SuperBonk

It seems the new games did okay:

This is good to hear. I was happy to see that Injustice was #1 but who knows how much that could be in such an anemic month. I still don't think it beat MK, but it's good to see it performed admirably nonetheless.

Top Bottom