• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

If casual consumers aren't buying consoles at $200 and $300, what makes you think they'll buy more consoles at $400 and $500?

They won't. But casual consumers don't buy launch consoles anyway. They need the core buyers this holiday and we'll see if they are happy come launch.

GulAtiCa

Oh wow, going back to it, WiiU numbers could be a fucking unmatched catostrophe since this was Pachter's stab in the dark:

WiiU - 55,000
Wii - 75,000
Xbox 360 - 205,000
PlayStation 3 - 165,000

So Pachter was off by 75k on the 360!!

Not surprising, Patcher guessed 100k and like 80k or something for Wii U in Jan/Feb and was way off for both. The trend seems to take whatever Patcher guesses and subtrack 50k. (sadly that's half a joke/half kinda true so far)

ymmv

Banned
If casual consumers aren't buying consoles at $200 and $300, what makes you think they'll buy more consoles at $400 and $500?

Casual consumers aren't going to buy next gen consoles on launch day. The hardcore will have to carry the PS4/Next Box through the first two years.

NateDrake

Wii U - 5k
Vita - 2k

my predictions

I think you overshot the Vita prediction.

Nintendo NPD Reply
A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

Some notable sales numbers* achieved by Nintendo in April include:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.

During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is good to hear. I was happy to see that Injustice was #1 but who knows how much that could be in such an anemic month. I still don't think it beat MK, but it's good to see it performed admirably nonetheless.

I can't possibly imagining it getting to MK since MK did like 1 million copies.

DaBoss

Wii U - 5k
Vita - 2k

my predictions

ibcFKkNKExe3yy.gif

dvolovets

Nintendo 3DS First-Party Software Sales Are Up 52 Percent in 2013

A strong launch for LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins helped Nintendo 3DS™ maintain its torrid pace in 2013. Through the first four months of the year, Nintendo has already sold more than 2.1 million units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software in the U.S. alone, an increase of 52 percent over the same time period last year. In 2012, it took 30 weeks for Nintendo 3DS to sell 2 million units of first-party software. In 2013, the platform accomplished that same feat in 18 weeks.

With the peak holiday selling season still ahead and a strong lineup of upcoming games that includes Donkey Kong Country™ Returns 3D on May 24, Animal Crossing™: New Leaf on June 9, Mario and Luigi™: Dream Team on Aug. 11, as well as new titles in the Pokémon™, Mario Golf™ and Legend of Zelda™ franchises, Nintendo 3DS is poised to have the strongest year of sales in its history.

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins sold nearly 94,000 combined physical and digital copies after launching on April 24.
Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon sold more than 140,000 combined physical and digital units in April and has now sold more than 530,000 total units to date.
In its sixth month on the market, New Super Mario Bros.™ U for the Wii U™ system increased its lifetime sales total to nearly 770,000 combined physical and digital units.
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is what concerns me though. If we were to get price drops for the 360/PS3, how is that going to affect sales of the PS4/Durango since no one will want to pay those kinds of prices?

It doesn't work that way. The people who are willing to pay those prices likely already have a PS3/360. The question is tho how big that group is, I think both console won't have any trouble selling their shipped units in it's first year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

*Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

I knew it, Wii U probably too bad for showing possibly good 3DS numbers :lol

Dysun

I'm expecting DS3/DmC/MGR/Gears/God of W/Tomb Raider price drops soon, if none of them can chart in spite of that abysmal list.

During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20.

Ahahahahahahahah

sangreal

Those lego and luigi numbers really don't bode well for the rest of the chart, especially considering they include digital sales

Drago

Why the FUCK does NoA keep pushing Disney Planes as a major WiiU title?! LOL
"Fan-favorite franchises" I can't

~100K for Lego combined is OK, I guess

Linkhero1

Bwahahaha

I want to see them pull through, I really do, but they aren't helping themselves.

This is what happens when a console generations lasts this long without bargain basement prices on these consoles. 130K as the #1 console and that's 42 PERCENT of the market for the month? I can't imagine how low the Wii U is this month. Don't even get me started on the zombie Vita which is alive in the West through some minor miracle.

Overall, generation fatigue is here in this unprecedented super long console cycle. There just aren't a ton of new people looking to buy these consoles in the US.

What the fuck is it going to take for MS and Sony to drop the goddamn price of their consoles? They should only be like $150 by now....
Let's say the 360 brings in $60 profit for Microsoft per unit and they sell 130K, so $7.8M in profit.

Let's say prior to this month they dropped the price by $50, and subsequently make $10 a unit. Sales were 260K instead i.e. they increased by 100%. They subsequently generate $2.8M in profit instead.

This is probably oversimplified, but these are presumably the calculations that go into determining whether to adjust the price lever.

That is pitifully low... brutal month.

The 360 and PS3 really need some major price cuts. I would like to think that Sony may cut the price of the PS3 at E3, especially with The Last of Us releasing four days after the press conference. I would think Microsoft will be doing so too. Hopefully that gives them a burst of energy until the new consoles release at the end of the year. This generation is just hanging around a bit too long... time for something fresh.

S0N0S

Need some price drops for this generation. When was the last time that happened? Guarantee there are many holding out for <$200 priced machines. Shame we're not there yet.

Top Bottom