• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PlayStation Exclusives the Best Games in the Industry?

Are PlayStation Exclusives the best games on the market?

• Easily

Votes: 91 29.4%
  • They are just a bit better than the others

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • They are joint with Nintendo

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • They are joint with Rockstar

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Nintendo are slightly better

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • They are not the best

Votes: 130 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian Henry

Man....ya'll really forget the PS2 and PS3 era 1st Party content. I feel it's not looked upon that much which is unfortunate😞.

mysticboy

So are you telling me UC4, GOW, Bloodborne, Horizon, Spiderman, Days Gone had no gameplay...….I guess I just watched Kratos beating the Valkyries in GOW...….People like adventures, they like to go on a journey, Sony's games fits that bill

The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Dreams, Tetris Effects have no gameplay, SFV (exclusive and funded) by Sony has no gameplay..........Astro Bot is the best platformer in decades, but Sony has no gameplay.....Hot Shot golf has no gameplay...Blood and Truth has no gameplay.......Yet stomping mushrooms and hiahhh!-ing ancients in Zelda for the hundredth time to save the kingdom is the epitomy of gameplay???…...I get it.....No other games have gameplay, except Nintendo games....
When the fuck did I say NO gameplay?? I said Nintendo outclasses Sony when it comes to gameplay and mechanics. Just because I think they outclass Sony, doesn't mean I think Sony games have "no gameplay" at all. And you've yet to show me how my opinion is that of a "5 year old".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nintendo games are great, but somehow I feel they're well... They don't appeal to me anymore, except for the few lot like Earthbound and Platinum games stuff.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i like the slightly better, weird poll option.
people buy nintendo for the exclusives.

thats why smash works.

and allstars is wank

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Maybe the best „MOVIE“-game. But gameplay wise they are boring and generic af. Just look at uncharted. So damn boring.

Nintendo is Miles ahead. Also most indie devs are better than this generic crap.

You're an Xbox fanboy who think games like Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 have some of the best gameplay in the industry.

Saruhashi

Banned
Personally, I was all ready to come in saying "hell yes" because Sony really does have a great library of games.

However, the truth of the matter is that for the last few gens I will always weigh up the options between Xbox and Playstation and I am looking to do the same next gen. I could choose one or the other depending on what they are offering. Game Pass is a very attractive prospect, for example, and I could easily forgo PS exclusives to sign up for that instead.

I find Nintendo exclusives on the other hand to just be flat out system sellers.
They consistently bring forward games that I simply do not want to miss out on.

When their exclusives have, in the past, convinced me to buy the pretty uninspiring Wii U it's hard to argue against them.

yurinka

In addition to Zelda BoW and Mario Oddysey, DMCV and MHW I think all my other top 15 or 20 favorite games of the generation are Sony exclusives. So yes.

A ton of gems: God of War, Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Wipeout Omega Collection, Spiderman, Dreams, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2, Detroit, and my most played game of the generation (it had a rough start but now it's awesome after fixing all the main issues and adding a ton of -mostly free/unlockable- content): Street Fighter V.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
You're an Xbox fanboy who think games like Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 have some of the best gameplay in the industry.
😭🤣🤣🤣 Facts like ppl don't see through the fanboy bs. The other excuse is "oh thy get high metas bcus u know reviewers love those types of cinematic games".

Bryank75

Banned
In addition to Zelda BoW and Mario Oddysey, DMCV and MHW I think all my other top 15 or 20 favorite games of the generation are Sony exclusives. So yes.

A ton of gems: God of War, Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Wipeout Omega Collection, Spiderman, Dreams, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2, Detroit, and my most played game of the generation (it had a rough start but now it's awesome after fixing all the main issues and adding a ton of -mostly free/unlockable- content): Street Fighter V.
I'd be very similar in taste to you!

Jetboxx

First-party games by Sony are mostly generic Western AAA borefests with high production values nowadays, as for me. For example, it doesn't look like they are gonna release another Gravity Rush, I am not even talking about something in the spirit of LocoRoco. Japan Studio pretty much has gone all VR now. And that's sad, because I am just not interested in VR.
But, to be honest, Sony's first-party output has always felt mediocre to me. Their consoles' saving grace were Japanese games by third-party developers, and these are moving to the Switch and PC.

Last edited:
IMO, Playstation exclusives are among the best games, yes. But Sony's 1st party titles are not. They are good games but not must own.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Haven't played Spiderman yet, but of the ones I've played, the Last of Us is the only one that even compares to Nintendo's exclusives. MS exclusives are the worst, fact.

Last edited:
If they didn't make Morrowind, Fallout1&2, Deus Ex, Intrepid, X-COM: UFO Defense, Doom or Civilization...i'll have to respectfully disagree.

Darius87

comparing nintendo exclussives to sony it's like comparing dogs:
nintendo:
220px-Babylone_3ans1.jpg

vs
sony:
2e4074e70a9cee07b055f0f610be3b80.jpg

childs toys vs grown up guns, and even then sony got covered some titles for youngsters on ps4 so it's not even fair to compare the two systems it's not comparible, sony has good platformer, puzzle VR and japanese anime multiplatform titles, nintendo online services is trash compared to ps4, and switch cost more then vanilla ps4, what a joke.
trash talk aside... let's be real nintendo switch is not for hardcore gamers apart form zelda there's nothing.... tumbleweed... nada..., bunch of marios, and party games... even xboxone have more attractive games unless you're boy, and you like chivavas or little poodles, or your puberty just started or like to go outside and play switch games that way where everything is distraction, then you might consider buying switch, for everyone else it's ps4, xboxone, pc.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Playstation exclusives are the best critically, in terms of variety and consistent quality output...... Goty after Goty does not lie......

What's more, in every year that Sony wins Goty, there are several other Sony games that could have won. Look at last year. GOW won Goty, but Spiderman was right there.......Then there was Astrobot, Tetris Effects etc...

2018 -GOW, Spiderman, RDR2, Celeste, Monster Hunter, AC Odyssey,
2017 - Zelda: BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, Nier Automata, Persona 5
2016 - Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Doom, Battlefield 1, The Last Guardian
2015 - The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV, Life is Strange
2014 - Dragon Age inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Far Cry 4
2013 - Last of Us, GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, Mario 3D world, Gone Home
2012 - Walking Dead, Journey, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3
2011 - Skyrim, Portal 2, Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword
2010 - RDR, Mass Effect 2, Mario Galaxy 2, Heavy Rain, GoW 3
2009 - Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, COD: MW2, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed 2
2008 - Fallout 3, GTA IV, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War 2

Top publishers by wins: Sony (4 wins), Bethesda (2 wins)
Top publishers by contenders: Sony (12), Nintendo (7)

Fun Fact: Sony has had atleast one contender 10 out of the last eleven years.
Fun Fact #2: Last time a MS game was a contender was in 2008.

All you have to do is watch this list......In 2007 Nintendo didn't win either, Bioshock destroyed Super Mario Galaxy...This Myth that Nintendo makes the best games is just that, a myth...........That has not been true for decades....Records don't lie....Sony has the largest aggregate of GOTY and contenders as a Publisher, bar none....

Then if you go way back.......You had Medevil 2 winning Goty awards, Gran Turismo 3 A Spec, Gow (2005), Uncharted 2 and recently......Last Guardian, Spiderman and BloodBorne did win many GOTY awards from several publications...…..Then Little Big Planet, Journey, Uncharted 3 got a tonne of GOTY awards.......And most of these games always had an innovative title mixed in the same year; like Gravity Rush, Puppeteer, Tearway.......I don't know if some of you guys have been living under a rock, but Nintendo's efforts are so small in comparison to Sony's...

Sony has the quality, variety and quantity, that's why they're the best.....People also say, all of Sony's games are the same, because Astrobot plays just like GOW and LBP plays like LOU....Yet people forget, that the most variety is on a Sony console from PS1 days onward....Where else could you play, Folklore, Papo & Yo, Tokyo Jungle, Africa, Aquanauts Holiday etc etc etc.....The first party games don't lie, they win GOTY consistently, they offer the most variety.....In any one year, Sony always has a few juggernauts in contention for GOTY, which speaks to the quality of their games...

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
nintendo:
220px-Babylone_3ans1.jpg

vs
sony:

childs toys vs grown up guns, and even then sony got covered some titles for youngsters on ps4 so it's not even fair to compare the two systems it's not comparible, sony has good platformer, puzzle VR and japanese anime multiplatform titles, nintendo online services is trash compared to ps4, and switch cost more then vanilla ps4, what a joke.
trash talk aside... let's be real nintendo switch is not for hardcore gamers apart form zelda there's nothing.... bumbleweed... nada..., bunch of marios, and party games... even xboxone have more attractive games unless you're boy, and you like chivavas or little poodles, or your puberty just started or like to go outside and play switch games that way where everything is distraction, then you might consider buying switch, for everyone else it's ps4, xboxone, pc.

Hey, I don't know if you noticed, but they're video games. You're not more mature because the video games you play involve cuss words and killing people. And who the hell said Mario titles aren't for hardcore gamers? I certainly wouldn't call Splatoon 2 or Tetris 99 'casual' games.

Game consoles are supposed to be about having fun, not making public displays of your fragile masculinity. It's a shame your ego is so sensitive, since you're missing out on a lot.

Darius87

Hey, I don't know if you noticed, but they're video games. You're not more mature because the video games you play involve cuss words and killing people. And who the hell said Mario titles aren't for hardcore gamers? I certainly wouldn't call Splatoon 2 or Tetris 99 'casual' games.
it would be difficult to call yourself hardcore gamer playing marios and splatoon with joy con that looks like made up for midgets, even miyamoto looks like grown up child.

Game consoles are supposed to be about having fun, not making public displays of your fragile masculinity. It's a shame your ego is so sensitive, since you're missing out on a lot.
if you have fun playing mario's and you're grown up it's good for you, diversity in games good thing but if these type of games you play all the time you might have some maturing to do, and some in here discussing and defending switch exclussives like they're exactly that.

mysticboy

it would be difficult to call yourself hardcore gamer playing marios and splatoon with joy con that looks like made up for midgets, even miyamoto looks like grown up child.

if you have fun playing mario's and you're grown up it's good for you, diversity in games good thing but if these type of games you play all the time you might have some maturing to do, and some in here discussing and defending switch exclussives like they're exactly that.
So basically you're a grown-ass man?

Darius87

I look forward to it, Mister Man McMan of the clan of the McManlymans... Man. When exactly can I expect to be grown up? Will there be a signal light or a beeping noise?
for you exactly:
1 step, stop playing mario's and luigi's with nintendo switch.
2 step, make a confession to your apostle to become a priest of meaningless conversations.
3 step, before going to sleep every eve sing a prayer while kneeling.
and don't forget to wear pyjamas.

Terenty

I look forward to it, Mister Man McMan of the clan of the McManlymans... Man. When exactly can I expect to be grown up? Will there be a signal light or a beeping noise?

When you are be able to appreciate such a mature and grown up masterpiece as the Last of Us!

I'm joking, Mario destroys this heap of trash any day of the week

Last edited:

Vbrasa

Thread topic is funny joke. Also reading this thread is great.

"SONY GAME GOOD, ME PEE PEE IS BIG. NINTENDO GAME BABY, YOU PEE PEE SMALL" is how most of this reads.

Murdoch

Wow this thread 😂... I hope it stays open.

For me Nintendo wins due to the consistency and variety of its releases. Over the past 3 years they've absolutely nailed the best games in Open world RPG (Zelda) driving game (Mario Kart 8) Shooter (Splatoon 2) fighting game (Smash Bros) and platforming (Mario Odyssey).

To have them all on the same platform 2 years after its launch is nothing short of remarkable.

Bryank75

Banned
nintendo:
220px-Babylone_3ans1.jpg

vs
sony:

trash talk aside... let's be real nintendo switch is not for hardcore gamers apart form zelda there's nothing.... tumbleweed... nada..., bunch of marios, and party games... even xboxone have more attractive games unless you're boy, and you like chivavas or little poodles, or your puberty just started or like to go outside and play switch games that way where everything is distraction, then you might consider buying switch, for everyone else it's ps4, xboxone, pc.
I have to laugh because I actually have a Great Dane and a Chihuahua.... I must post a pic at some stage!

Birdo

Banned
In the PS2 and PS3 era, yes. But I find them quite stagnant these days.

Pre-Uncharted, Sony had lots of different genres under their exclusive belt. Now it's all third-person adventure games with movie-style cutscenes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"

Actually, that's pretty easy, because both those game franchises require plenty of skill to master and the Joy-Cons fit quite a wide variety of hands. And you do know there's this whole "Pro Controller" thing that Nintendo offers, right?

They're some of the games I play, not all. And if you're so insecure that you can't play Super Mario Odyssey or Splatoon because they look too cute, you might want to ask if you're the one who needs maturing. My ego is not wrapped up in a 'need' to play serious-looking games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

No offence but all I got from your post is this....
tenor.gif

Seriously, calling others immature for enjoying Nintendo game is not exactly what I call "being mature".

Bryank75

Banned
yes, Visuals are setting benchmarks from start of this gen, good narrative stories, great presentations and gameplay, i don't think that's gonna change for next-gen also, only studios like capcom, rockstar, square could give run sony for it's money.
That’s why I want Sony to buy Capcom and Square..... I think they are essential for Sony to ensure PlayStation domination in the future.

Danjin44

That’s why I want Sony to buy Capcom and Square..... I think they are essential for Sony to ensure PlayStation domination in the future.
Why!!? There is no reason Capcom and Square games should exclusive to Sony, same reason you don't want to see Capcom and Square be exclusives to Microsoft. At some point this stupid system war mind set needs to end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. these are longtime evergreen series that are nearly all of amazing quality and all far better IMO than any other exclusives. Nintendo has dominated exclusive content since the 80s and continues to do so. outside of Bloodborne there isn't anything non-Nintendo in the past 10 years i would say is necessary.

Danjin44

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. these are longtime evergreen series that are nearly all of amazing quality and all far better IMO than any other exclusives. Nintendo has dominated exclusive content since the 80s and continues to do so. outside of Bloodborne there isn't anything non-Nintendo in the past 10 years i would say is necessary.
Thats entirely depends on your taste, some people don't like Nintendo exclusives so to them Nintendo doesn't have best exclusives, same true with Sony and Microsoft. This why this thread pointless, "Playstation having best games in the industry" purely depends on each individual person. For example: if you are in to online gaming then I'm pretty Playstation exclusives is not going to give you that.

Darius87

Actually, that's pretty easy, because both those game franchises require plenty of skill to master
plenty of skill? :messenger_grinning_squinting: you're must be joking? do you ever played games like:
tekken, where you must have really good muscle memory, for every combo, move,
gran turismo franchices where any mistake in turn could cost you a race specialy in endurance races where you race all f-k day long.
and i don't want to remember crash because it crashed my controller and damage my brain cells, but i got it all plats.
not to mention wipeout still think it's prety impossible game to fully complete, also should mention quake, cs, souls games.
now that's the games that requires skills and what i call hardcore.
and the Joy-Cons fit quite a wide variety of hands. And you do know there's this whole "Pro Controller" thing that Nintendo offers, right?
i just told that joy-cons is to small, never mention that there is or isn't other controller, and actually do not care.
They're some of the games I play, not all. And if you're so insecure that you can't play Super Mario Odyssey or Splatoon because they look too cute, you might want to ask if you're the one who needs maturing. My ego is not wrapped up in a 'need' to play serious-looking games.
why i should feel insecure? you making things up there's no reason to me play marios or splatoons if they were good games to me i would play it.
i played jak & daxters, ratched & clanks, spyros, crash bandicoots and i love it. i have no problems with platformers but it wouldn't be games that i play them the most of the time.

Darius87

No offence but all I got from your post is this....
tenor.gif

Seriously, calling others immature for enjoying Nintendo game is not exactly what I call "being mature".
if you play all the time mario's, luigi's, splatton these type of games then you're kind immature, don't you think that obvious?

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I have to say mo chara, some of my favorite games are Bloodborne, Bioshock, Witcher 3, and going back in time games like Wizardy, Shadow of the Beast, the Castlevania series, Doom, Quake, Halo, MGS series....I like to consider myself a hardcore gamer when motivated.
Splatoon 2 is some of the purest fun I have had in a long time and a fantastic presentation and can be as light or as deep as you want it to be. You can't let preconceived notions cloud your judgement.

Danjin44

if you play all the time mario's, luigi's, splatton these type of games then you're kind immature, don't you think that obvious?
Not really? You are no different than people who would call entire act of playing videos games “childish”. Also you are type of person who has limited understanding what being “mature” is about.

Darius87

that's pipe dream they too big, sony should brough smaller studios and grow them up studios like bluepoint.

Darius87

Not really? You are no different than people who would call entire act of playing videos games “childish”. Also you are type of person who has limited understanding what being “mature” is about.
no that's totaly wrong i hate when someone says video games only for children i reply to them 'most people who play videogames are in 30's' , but when you play all the time mario and luigi type of games and nothing else you're immature.

Top Bottom