• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin vs Stellar Blade: Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average

Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average?

• Rise of the Ronin will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 143 41.9%
  • Stellar Blade will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 206 60.4%

• Total voters

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Stellar will get nuked into oblivion because of the protag.

Nah. You gotta trust people on this one.

Stellar Blade will be automatically given -2 out of 10 on every score by Western reviewers for having an attractive woman

This assumes any Western reviewers will bother reviewing it, after Hogwarts Legacy I think it's also possible they will pretend it doesn't exist

Western reviewers aren't this bad. They reviewed Hogwarts very well.

Y'all think these activist "journalists" are gonna fairly review Stellar Blade? 😂😂😂

You'll be proven wrong on this. Just watch.

Last edited:

Aion002

No one would care for SB if the main character didnt have huge tits
Just like they didn't care about Lies of P?

Many like third person cinematic action games with good graphics, Stellar Blade seems to be all that plus waifu mc.

Lisa Vanderpump Heaven GIF by PeacockTV

Just_one

Stellar Blade will get crucified by western reviews because of the main protagonist unfortunally

bunch of pussies if u ask me but its is what it is, these people would have alexandra daddario or alannah pearce (for gaming context) on their lap naked and you would be : oh no...not right

Last edited:

GymWolf

Who cares? Elden Ring's graphics weren't any better than Bloodborne's despite the later being 7 years older. That didn't matter to people. Rise doesn't need amazing graphics to be a good game. It just needs good gameplay which it looks like it has.
And i payed less than 40 euros on pc for elden ring, not 80, the game also had dogshit performance at launch that no review even mentioned.

You may don't care about tech, performance, animations and graphic, but some people do.

Last edited:

RyRy93

A proven developer making a badass samurai game or an unproven dev making some weeby shit, baffled by the poll result

Schmendrick

I´d expect both to be in the 70s range somewhere. Neither looks particularly bad but not exactly very good or outstanding either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No one would care for SB if the main character didnt have huge tits
Are you kidding me?!

Unique story and presentation.
It's something we never get anymore! It's beautiful

That is from the demo/beginning of the game. Some guy has ripped the music removing the sound effects. Here's another one.

Thanks a lot. good stuff!!!
3:00 mark is the track I am hoping they will release !

Last edited:

Roberts

I don’t think I have ever been right about these but:

SB - 79
RotR - 82

Can’t say there is no personal bias about these scores. I have never liked games like SB all that much and find them dull but it looks polished and well made. RotR is more interesting because of its setting, history, politics but, yeah, there is an element of jank that usually doesn’t sit well with critics. Still, I think it will win.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How in the hell is ronin more original than stellar?

The historical era in which its set is pretty unique, but that's mostly irrelevant when my point was that Stellar Blade lacks any sort of originality whatsoever.

Its presentation is lovely, but its entirely derivative, as is the gameplay from the looks of the demo.

This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but a game should be more than just shiny graphics and it seems to me that's mainly the draw with Stellar Blade right now.

I've got zero issues playing as a sexy female android, I like wide-linear games, I like dystopic SF, I like over-the-top third person melee/shooting combat. There's nothing about it I dislike!

I'm just not going to pretend that they've shown anything that I haven't seen before! Its really that simple.

Open-world Nioh though... that I've not seen in the same way people were excited about Elden Ring being open-world Souls!

Last edited:

GymWolf

The historical era in which its set is pretty unique, but that's mostly irrelevant when my point was that Stellar Blade lacks any sort of originality whatsoever.

Its presentation is lovely, but its entirely derivative, as is the gameplay from the looks of the demo.

This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but a game should be more than just shiny graphics and it seems to me that's mainly the draw with Stellar Blade right now.

I've got zero issues playing as a sexy female android, I like wide-linear games, I like dystopic SF, I like over-the-top third person melee/shooting combat. There's nothing about it I dislike!

I'm just not going to pretend that they've shown anything that I haven't seen before! Its really that simple.

Open-world Nioh though... that I've not seen in the same way people were excited about Elden Ring being open-world Souls!
Agree to disagree, at least art design wise, ronin looks much more generic to me than this:

52356328020_ab6ee77f25_k.jpg

stellar-blade-all-screenshots-native-with-two-swords.jpg

StellarBladeEve-scaled.jpg

stellarb-gameplay-968x544.jpg

Sure, it's not original in the grand scheme of things, but compared to samurai game number 583469485064590684506, i vastly prefer SB in terms of originality, matter of taste i guess, i really don't care about japanese samurai movies.
Tsushima does the same but 10x times better compared to ronin, at least location wise.

The genre for both games are super unoriginal, let's not act like assassins creed japan is something new just because the combat is gonna be much better most probably.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

I think we learned that she is in fact, human.

(Not that THAT changes your mind. Just wanted to clarify that)

yurinka

I think woke 'journalists' will destroy Stellar Blade in their reviews just because they hate beautiful or sexy women and they think they must be removed from everywhere, including games.

Independently of which game is better out of the two, I think Rise of the Ronin will get better metascore.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Agree to disagree, at least art design wise, ronin looks much more generic to me than this:

52356328020_ab6ee77f25_k.jpg

stellar-blade-all-screenshots-native-with-two-swords.jpg

StellarBladeEve-scaled.jpg

stellarb-gameplay-968x544.jpg

Sure, it's not original in the grand scheme of things, but compared to samurai game number 583469485064590684506, i vastly prefer SB in terms of originality, matter of taste i guess, i really don't care about japanese samurai movies.
Tsushima does the same but 10x times better compared to ronin, at least location wise.

The genre for both games are super unoriginal, let's not act like assassins creed japan is something new just because the combat is gonna be much better most probably.

Completely agree the art direction is absolutely top-notch.

Honestly, the only negative I have about SB is that I highly doubt I'll have finished Dragon's Dogma 2 and Ronin by the time it comes out....

Those two games if they live up to expectation are sure to be my most played games this year, and them coming out the same day is just painful for me because I really want to play them both asap. The first I've been waiting for literally years, and as to the latter: Every year Team Ninja's had a game out since Nioh its been my most played by hours easily.

The bottom line though is that if Stellar Blade had the same level of visual quality as Ronin, would you still be as excited for it? Maybe you would, but I'm pretty confident that a lot of people would be less hyped if it wasn't such a looker.

GymWolf

Completely agree the art direction is absolutely top-notch.

Honestly, the only negative I have about SB is that I highly doubt I'll have finished Dragon's Dogma 2 and Ronin by the time it comes out....

Those two games if they live up to expectation are sure to be my most played games this year, and them coming out the same day is just painful for me because I really want to play them both asap. The first I've been waiting for literally years, and as to the latter: Every year Team Ninja's had a game out since Nioh its been my most played by hours easily.

The bottom line though is that if Stellar Blade had the same level of visual quality as Ronin, would you still be as excited for it? Maybe you would, but I'm pretty confident that a lot of people would be less hyped if it wasn't such a looker.
Graphic is like the last thing i noticed in SB tbh, i don't even think it looks that impressive.

I just like the art design and how meaty the combat looks, also action rpg is my favourite genre.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Graphic is like the last thing i noticed in SB tbh, i don't even think it looks that impressive.

I just like the art design and how meaty the combat looks, also action rpg is my favourite genre.

Fair comment, as I said my only issue is the frickin' release timing being so tight this spring. I've already passed on FF7 because I don't want the be JRPG'd out by the time the other two release, so to be fair I actively don't want to get too excited for Stellar Blade because I like to give each experience a fair amount of time to breathe.

From what I've seen I'm very impressed -although my high-point visually remains the skull-facemask that you see Tachy wearing in the first trailer- although given its inspirations I think its got big boots to fill.

Eiknarf

Banned
I was gonna DAY ONE tomorrow’s Rise of the Ronin, but I really need to know if it is different enough from Ghost of Tsushima

I’m still gonna get it, it’s just not day one

Cuz if it’s kinda like a “poor man’s” Ghost of Tsushima, why rush?

CLW

I believe stellar blade with be the consumers pick between the two but….

“Journalists” don’t like attractive female characters and the game will get dinged bc of that

In terms of Stellar Blade, i think it will review fairly. People said the same thing about the Hogwarts Legacy and journalists reviewed it overall pretty objectively. The backlash literally represents a very loud 2-3% of the industry.

Ribi

I don't get the stellar blade hype. It's just a big ass with a sword. The game will be shit, it's going to be code vein 2 but with a big ass

And Ronins frame rate looks awful

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Will be interesting like always how wrong reviewers get it, and how consumer counter those scores. Imho consumers get it often more wrong than critics. The Bethesda Sony games eg, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, were both just weirdly scored. Deathloop being a bit too high scored by critics (for being a early, rare "true" next gen game) got kinda trashed by consumers, while Ghostwire to a lesser extend saw the opposite. Critics not liking it much, while people then pretended to like it more than it deserves. Imo both did not really fully reach their potential, while Deathloop had the better premise and execution in gameplay, Ghostwire had the much more interesting lore, but also did not really nail that. I'd say the critics got it more right than the consumers though. Ghostwire is certainly not that much better than Deathloop.
Here it will be interesting if reviewers really feel obliged to punish a game for having a sexy protagonist and quite clearly also sex sells sexualising her. "Western" games seem to not allow either anymore for no understandable reason. Ronin might just be problematic for Koreans or other Asians, but is a safe bet for our reviewers since it adds diversity despite not being artificially diverse at all.
Nice thoughtful post just wanted to add that I adored Ghostwire. It was my personal GOTY for 2022 and it still has the best use of the dual sense IMO. Loved every SEC and of that game, first game I ever platinum'd and I've been dab ling with the free added content and one mission in particular was brilliant. Basically an extended sequence similar to the House Dimetrescu scenario in Shadows of Rose.

Eiknarf

Banned
Nice thoughtful post just wanted to add that I adored Ghostwire. It was my personal GOTY for 2022 and it still has the best use of the dual sense IMO. Loved every SEC and of that game, first game I ever platinum'd and I've been dab ling with the free added content and one mission in particular was brilliant. Basically an extended sequence similar to the House Dimetrescu scenario in Shadows of Rose.
Is it Ghostwire Tokyo? I never tried that one

Madflavor

I think people here are overestimating the amount of critics that will score Stellar Blade bad, or knock it down a few points, just because of a sexualized female protagonist. There will undoubtedly be a couple of bad actors out there, but if the game is legit good, that's what critics care about.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is it Ghostwire Tokyo? I never tried that one
Yea, Ghostwire: Tokyo. I don't expect everyone to adore it but I still can't wrap my head around how it was written off at launch. It's such a fun game with a great story and great side quests. Lots of platforming/verticality. Just a really solid videogame experience across the board.

Yoboman

Don't see anything special about either tbh

Team Ninja can design a good combat system. Don't trust them to excel at any other part of the project

Stellar Blade, character looks hot?

Both will be a shock to me if they are above 80

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think people here are overestimating the amount of critics that will score Stellar Blade bad, or knock it down a few points, just because of a sexualized female protagonist. There will undoubtedly be a couple of bad actors out there, but if the game is legit good, that's what critics care about.
Hypocrites if they do because you can point to their Bayonetta game reviews to show it clear as day.

Crayon

I don't don't think reviews are going to attack it. Most will mention it, a few will address it as an Ernest aside, and a couple will post a protest score. I think most realize letting people think things like that affect the scores you give out is a really bad idea. And it's not that easy to hide with they way people can't stfu on Twitter.

IAmRei

i dont like "sex sells" focused game marketing, i choose Rise of Ronin, at least their focus is not waifu only. (and dont get me wrong, im still loving beautiful girl, just not my focus)
this vote is kind of my personal view

xrnzaaas

A lot of the journos & outlets will use every opportunity to shit on Stellar Blade and lower the review score. It's gonna by a case where the critics metascore and the players metascore are very different (but this time the player score will be the higher one ;)).

Last edited:
Top Bottom