• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin vs Stellar Blade: Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average

Which PlayStation Exclusive Will Score the Higher Metacritic Average?

• Rise of the Ronin will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 143 41.9%
  • Stellar Blade will receive the higher Critic average.

Votes: 206 60.4%

• Total voters

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Ronin for no other reason than sexless nerd reviewers will dock Blade for having an attractive female character.

Last edited:
This is a good question. Really depends how many Reeee reviews try and tank Stellar Blade's score.
It might be too obvious now though, can't get away with it like they did with Days Gone.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Stellar Blade reviewers

DlvDopV.gif

I still don't see the draw of Rise of the Ronin. It looks very janky IMO. Stellar Blade will dominate.
You must not have seen the recent gameplay preview videos. The gameplay looks good, souls like boss difficulty with an open world to explore, side missions that can impact your main mission. I think it even has a character customization and online story co-op. Nothing too special. Doesnt reinvent the wheel, but it should be fun.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I'm hoping Stellar gets the higher score.

Checking out both games, Rise of the Ronin has a lot going on. Lots of weapons, open world structure with great combat. It does look a bit janky compared to Wu-Long and Nioh 1 & 2. Maybe when the PC release comes, it'll look a bit better in that regard.

Stellar Blade, however, is more linear, similar to Devil May Cry in a sense and looks VERY polished. I can't say how the combat is in Rise, but in Stellar it's pretty damn smooth.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You must not have seen the recent gameplay preview videos. The gameplay looks good, souls like boss difficulty with an open world to explore, side missions that can impact your main missions I think it even has a character customization and online story co-op.
I may not have. I'll look up a video. From what I've seen so far Graphics look dated, animations look stiff. Ninja Gaiden has better animations in my opinion...from the original Xbox. They say this is a culmination of what they've learned. Ninja Gaiden 1 2 and 3, Nioh 1 and 2 brings you to this? I tried to keep an open mind before...but it just doesn't move me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, the only thing Stellar Blade has over Ronin is that its the better looking game.

Sorry. Its really that simple.

You can't argue that Stellar Blade is more original than Ronin, or that its combat is likely to be better !

It's impossible that Stellar Blade is not review bombed by the usual suspects.

The only way it gets fair treatment is that the same journos who didn't review "The Wizard game" pass on this one, too.

They should release the demo NOW to get people creating a positive buzz around the game, which is legitimately great, assets aside.

Honestly, the only thing Stellar Blade has over Ronin is that its the better looking game.

You can't argue that Stellar Blade is more original than Ronin, or that its combat is likely to be better !

Music is miles ahead. Not even a comparison, with Monaca involved. Let's see about the story, too. Shift Up are great storytellers, it's a bit annoying to read the same prejudices against them only because they feature sexy girls.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Music is miles ahead. Not even a comparison, with Monaca involved. Let's see about the story, too. Shift Up are great storytellers, it's a bit annoying to read the same prejudices against them only because they feature sexy girls.

No prejudice, just simply stating that you can't give it many points for originality when its so clearly showing its inspirations! Which goes for the music too.

I'm very interested in Stellar Blade and I hope its great, but facts are facts.

I highly, highly doubt Shift Up are going to provide a more interesting or impactful story than Yoko Taro whilst providing combat better than Team Ninja. Two things I hold in the highest of high regard.

On the upside it looks brilliant, and I like I said I love what they're going for. I'm just setting reasonable expectations.

As for Team Ninja, well everyone ripped the hell out of Final Fantasy Origins when it was revealed, but, most people who played the game came away very pleasantly surprised because even though it neither looked nor ran particularly great, it was still a really enjoyable game to play.

Better attractive game for many, yes. But I prefer the graphics (with much bigger levels) and artstyle of Ronin.

bender

What time is it?
Both feel like they'll score in the mid-to-high 70s. I think Stellar Blade will get the edge due to presentation.

isn't ronin like hioh x asscreed ?

Stellar Blade will be automatically given -2 out of 10 on every score by Western reviewers for having an attractive woman

This assumes any Western reviewers will bother reviewing it, after Hogwarts Legacy I think it's also possible they will pretend it doesn't exist

Last edited:

octos

Neo Member
I'm guessing 83% for Ronin (even though it will probably deserve 90+, but many reviewers don't care about deep gameplay and would prefer fancy visual effects instead) and 77% for Stellar.

If we're talking critic score the I think Rise of the Ronin will score higher (prediction 76 average) only because the woke "journalists" will penalize Stellar Blade for having a hot female lead who wears skimpy suits. I predict 73 average for Stellar Blade.
I am thinking similar, but the journalists are not woke, but wants to pretend to be woke…

I would say Ronin, it aligns way more to what the "western market? wants", rather than the heretical depiction of women the asian game provides.

//DEVIL//

I can easily see it
Ronin will be lucky if its a 7 out of 10.

Hot ass girl is a solid 8 game. and thats because purple hair reviewers are triggered of that hot ass. the mass will give it 10 out of 10 cmon son

I'll go with the "don't know, don't care, means nothing to me" option.
Seriously, it's not a mere number that'll make me like a game or not.

GymWolf

How in the hell is ronin more original than stellar?

SoSola

Banned
Rise of the ronin most probably.

I can see all the klepleks of the world scoring stellar balde lower for the boys club bullshit but ignore the fact that ronin looks like an upscaled ps3 game at 80 euros price point.

Who cares? Elden Ring's graphics weren't any better than Bloodborne's despite the later being 7 years older. That didn't matter to people. Rise doesn't need amazing graphics to be a good game. It just needs good gameplay which it looks like it has.

SoSola

Banned
I can easily see it

Hot ass girl is a solid 8 game. and thats because purple hair reviewers are triggered of that hot ass. the mass will give it 10 out of 10 cmon son
How will Ronin be lucky? Nioh scored higher than that. I expect Ronin to recieve the same scores. Stellar Blade seems to be like Nier, a game that only has ass going for it and is forgettable outside of that. It won't even compare in sales just like Baldur's Gate 3 didn't even reach the sales of Tears of the Kingdom despite BG3 having the backing of cucks, woke media and queers declaring it the "best game" of 2023 even though it wasn't lmao.

And in the end, sales matter the most.

Last edited:
Will be interesting like always how wrong reviewers get it, and how consumer counter those scores. Imho consumers get it often more wrong than critics. The Bethesda Sony games eg, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, were both just weirdly scored. Deathloop being a bit too high scored by critics (for being a early, rare "true" next gen game) got kinda trashed by consumers, while Ghostwire to a lesser extend saw the opposite. Critics not liking it much, while people then pretended to like it more than it deserves. Imo both did not really fully reach their potential, while Deathloop had the better premise and execution in gameplay, Ghostwire had the much more interesting lore, but also did not really nail that. I'd say the critics got it more right than the consumers though. Ghostwire is certainly not that much better than Deathloop.
Here it will be interesting if reviewers really feel obliged to punish a game for having a sexy protagonist and quite clearly also sex sells sexualising her. "Western" games seem to not allow either anymore for no understandable reason. Ronin might just be problematic for Koreans or other Asians, but is a safe bet for our reviewers since it adds diversity despite not being artificially diverse at all.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Perhaps EDGE will refuse to review it which will be fucking ironic because they gave Bayonetta a 10.

Let’s see how far they have shifted.

Eiknarf

Banned
I can easily see it

Well yeah, the USER review over at Metacritic is created by us, the registered users. In that area, Stellar Blade will definitely score a higher average than Rise of the Ronin.

But the OP (me) was specifically asking about the PRO CRITIC average.

Fbh

Would be easier to say after trying the Demo to see how the combar feels.
Assuming it plays as well as it looks I could see Stellar Blade reviewing in the low 80's. Some outlets will inevitably have their little paragraph to complain about the character design but I can still see it reviewing well.

Rise of Ronin looks like a 70. It's Team Ninja so the combat will probably be good, but I could see a lot of complains about bland open world design, lacking story and technical issues.

Ronin looks to be a massive letdowm. Not just the bad visuals and animation but previews are already saying the combat has been made too simple compared to their previous games. Open world has boring side content too.

Eiknarf

Banned
Ronin looks to be a massive letdowm. Not just the bad visuals and animation but previews are already saying the combat has been made too simple compared to their previous games. Open world has boring side content too.
I do kinda wish Ronin was more linear because an open world game has to be incredible for me to stay with it. Otherwise it's too big and the story looses its sense of urgency. Ghost of Tsushima did open world well.

Top Bottom