• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PS5 exclusives the flag bearers of Ray-Tracing this generation?

Are Sony games/exclusives the flag bearers of Ray-tracing for this coming generation?

• Total voters
After the shows I think it's very clear which company/studios/games will be at the forefront in showcasing generation defining graphical features like Ray-Tracing. Sony has made it a point to have its exclusive games showcase the jump next-gen with:

Spider-man Miles Morales
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Demons Souls Remake
Gran Turismo 7
Godfall
Deathloop
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

All feature, will feature Ray-tracing, making use of the dedicated hardware to improve the visual fidelity - accuracy of bounce lighting of the game.

-----------
Returnal?
Horizon Forbidden West?
The Cat Game? Stray.

Did I miss any? Do you agree or disagree with the conclusion?

================================
Edit: For a bit of clarification on the thought process.

No, raytracing will be far better on PC. RTX on/off showcases will be the flagbearers.

But the Sony exclusives are hype as fuck, as always.

I don't think it can be argued that monster graphic cards from both Nvidia and AMD (found only on PC rigs) will be the place you'll find the most complete showcase of the technology. However, it's Sony's first party exclusives (through sheer numbers) that are pushing the envelope out the gate and raising gamer expectations of what to expect as a standard next-gen. This in turn raises expectations for what third party publishers must aspire to ship with their titles (else feel the wrath of consumers). We all know if left with no market pressure (in essence peer pressure in the gaming world) the big third party publishers will be happy to stagnate and profit and won't take advantage of the power of those high-end graphic cards (as many do today). You only see isolated cases. When a console manufacturer goes all-in with the technology (using their exclusives and studios to showcase); what this does is create a snowball effect hard to avoid getting tangled with (specially a market leader like Sony). That's is the point. You need a market mover that gets the ball rolling, instead of isolated cases just poking around with snow.

Last edited:
No. I mean y'all remember this?

Still best use of RT in next-gen gameplay so far on either system, quite handily so. That said I think Sony's stuff had a lot of solid RT particularly R&C and GT7.

I think Sony 1st parties will lead in graphics until MS ends the cross gen stuff and then it will be a back and forth battle.

So yea i expect PS5 to have better looking exclusives until late 2022/early 2023

MS can't afford to wait that long tbh. The next game showcase they decide to have later this summer, for 1st party, it needs to really stun folks with real-time gameplay visuals. I don't think they want to risk letting Sony have a runaway effect in perception regarding next-gen visuals going into launch.

Last edited:

Rikkori

The RT reflections in R&C were so gimped, it's almost a travesty to consider it ray tracing. PS5's GPU is too weak for proper ray tracing, you'll get the sprinkles on top only. But don't expect much better from MS either.

If you want real RT, that's the domain of the PC and that's also where most of the GPU R&D goes right now. At least in terms of RT you can expect PC to pull away from consoles even further than it did in general vs PS4/X1.

sonyfifa

i dont know nvidia developed ray tracing gpu(rtx) that cost 1000+ dollar. rtx can't offer ray tracing @ 4k60fps in most games(maybe 3080ti will).

so im not expecting next gen consoles to have mutch ray tracing.

however ue5 demo made me have hope for RT on consoles.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

Still best use of RT in next-gen gameplay so far on either system, quite handily so. That said I think Sony's stuff had a lot of solid RT particularly R&C and GT7.

MS can't afford to wait that long tbh. The next game showcase they decide to have later this summer, for 1st party, it needs to really stun folks with real-time gameplay visuals. I don't think they want to risk letting Sony have a runaway effect in perception regarding next-gen visuals going into launch.

That really doesn't look very good. Just super shiny effects with derivative textures and art direction.

The new transformers X crysis hybrid is far better looking.

MS showings had a lot of RT, it's just that most of it looked like shit. Sonys studios do a much better job at getting the most out of the hardware and making the games impress people upon presentation. That being said, Forza looked amazing. Then again, so did Hellblade 2. And we all know we didn't see any gameplay, yet. So who knows what we're getting. Also, PC.

Xbox Series X has more ray tracing power. It's tied to the amount of shader units. But I think as usual Sony's superior first party developers will make smarter use of it and make more out of less.

I thought HFW didn't use RT?

It doesn't. Game is pushing 4K at 30fps, ray tracing would tank it even further.

Last edited:

sinnergy

They could have , but they gave it all to Sony , and that’s from a exclusive Xbox gamer. May and now July where a disaster , may even had better visuals in games than yesterday.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No. I think PC is where we will see real RT. These consoles are just going to use it sparingly to keep that filmic 30 fps.

Last edited:
The only place you'll see significant ray tracing is on PC. Because it absolutely tanks the performance of superior tech to what is in the next gen consoles.

Voted no because we've only seen very little in the way of ray tracing from both and I think it will be a gimmick untill later on in the gen when things get serious graphically .

Trimesh

Banned
Ray tracing may start to be useful in about 10 years. Right now, it's a pointless gimmick because the performance simply isn't there.

i dont know nvidia developed ray tracing gpu(rtx) that cost 1000+ dollar. rtx can't offer ray tracing @ 4k60fps in most games(maybe 3080ti will).

so im not expecting next gen consoles to have mutch ray tracing.

however ue5 demo made me have hope for RT on consoles.
The UE5 featured no ray tracing if I remember.

Orta

Banned
You can't base such an assumption based on a few clips of unfinished games on either console.

*PC will lead the way anyway.

geordiemp

And moores law is dead is claiming the new GE in Ps5 is RDNA3 (there are 2 sony patents) and Sony has some custom RT solution. Just a rimour and not from me.

We await teardowns, one thing is clear is that Sony games are more advanced technically by far at the moment. That Halo infinite gameplay was shocking.

u5wrAYR.png

Last edited:

yurinka

I think that the Sony stream shown more exclusive games showcasing raytracing, and in more chases with gameplay.

In this stream, I think we saw it on Forza, the Obsidian Skyrim and a few other games. The thing is that in most cases it was a cinematic or PC, and knowing they release all their games on PC we don't know which version were they showing. We saw that Halo did look worse than in previous video, because this was the first real gameplay shown and didn't feature raytracing, something they plan to add after release.

In any case, both companies made great looking games without needing RT. So don't need to use it in all games, or to use it everywhere. This gen is a big jump in many areas, so I think everyone must be still figuring out the best way to use every new thing, being RT just one of them. Which means we'll need some time to watch RT properly implemented. I assume it will be a bit like in PC, where after some time most games still don't use RT, or when using it isn't a great deal in most cases.

As I remember that game is on Steam early access and the name of the video is 'next gen trailer', which may mean it's captured from the PC version and that they maybe still don't have next gen console devkits or estimated Series X release date.

Last edited:
And moores law is dead is claiming the new GE in Ps5 is RDNA3 (there are 2 sony patents) and Sony has some custom RT solution. Just a rimour and not from me.

We await teardowns, one thing is clear is that Sony games are more advanced technically by far at the moment. That Halo infinite gameplay was shocking.

u5wrAYR.png
It's from a fucking nobody who hasn't even built a track record. People need to stop quoting this idiot. Can't wait till the stuff is out and he's wrong on all accounts so he can go back to whatever hole he crawled out of.

geordiemp

It's from a fucking nobody who hasn't even built a track record. People need to stop quoting this idiot. Can't wait till the stuff is out and he's wrong on all accounts so he can go back to whatever hole he crawled out of.

Well you can discuss and counter the points

or attack the person.

I always find it more interesting to discuss the points and if they have any validity.

Remember Cerny has a couple of patents on VRS in zone from viewpoint etc, the GE is heavily customised by Sony to include all those patents and it may have some tricks....I can link teasing tweets from Matt Hargatt about Sony new GE for ps5......There is something up....

Sony did show RT on their games and at full 4k is the only evidence so far

Last edited:

or attack the person.

I always find it more interesting to discuss the points and if they have any validity.

Remember Cerny has a couple of patents on VRS in zone from viewpoint etc, the GE is heavily customised by Sony to include all those patents and it may have some tricks....I can link teasing tweets from Matt Hargatt about Sony new GE for ps5......There is something up....

Why would I bother discussing the points of someone who has no credibility? Moore's Law is Dead is a nobody with like 60K on youtube and for the past few months, he's been making countless claims about Ampere and RDNA2, often backtracking on stuff he said and his speculations are all over the place. Before we even start debating, there needs to be a solid basis or at least a proven track record. This guy has none of it so what do I have to counter exactly when there is nothing solid in the first place?

Redlight

Sony is going to have a next-gen RT game available at launch. MS will update their port of Halo Infinite to support it someday.

Yes, if DF calling the quality of RT shown at the reveal "miraculous" didn't clue you in, Sony is doing a much better job.
So, what are the PS5 launch games exactly? According to Eurogamer the only confirmed titles for launch are 'Astro's Playroom' and 'Fortnight'.
Do you have release dates for anything else?

Last edited:

or attack the person.

I can't believe Sony wouldn't have already let everyone know their platform supports RDNA3 features just to calm the waters when the TF differences were known, so please don't grasp at straws.

As a RTX2080Ti owner, even on PC RT is barely used atm, I really doubt PS5 or XBSX will implement it in their launch games, but for the common good, I wish they would.

By the way, iirc, Minecraft got an update for the RTX content, so, deploying a patch to enable RTX is perfectly doable, there's no need to release, or download, a new version of the game in order to enable RTX.

Journey

Banned

Shh 🤫. Hide that QUICK!! It goes completely against today’s rhetoric, you might actually get banned for that, that game doesn’t exist, because if it did, that would mean XSX has already shown the most impressive example of Ray Tracing and we just can’t have that right now smdh

geordiemp

Why would I bother discussing the points of someone who has no credibility? Moore's Law is Dead is a nobody with like 60K on youtube and for the past few months, he's been making countless claims about Ampere and RDNA2, often backtracking on stuff he said and his speculations are all over the place. Before we even start debating, there needs to be a solid basis or at least a proven track record. This guy has none of it so what do I have to counter exactly when there is nothing solid in the first place?

Yes he is a small youtuber. I do my own digging. Cerny patents that relate to a higher tier VRS and new Geometry engine features and posters thought it was RDNA1......Also Matt Hargett teased similar :

Seems to me there is more to Ps5 customisations than meets the eye.

I can't believe Sony wouldn't have already let everyone know their platform supports RDNA3 features just to calm the waters when the TF differences were known, so please don't grasp at straws.

Cerny did just that, he teased this in Road to Ps5. Do you want a timestamp ?

Cerny talked about if future PC RDNA GPU designs see features that we put in Ps5, then we have been successful with our collaboration with AMD - why would he say that ?

Cerny is not a boaster, there is something under the bonnet here.

Last edited:
Yes he is a small youtuber. I do my own digging. Cerny patents atht relate to a jhigher tier VRS and new Geometry engine features and posters thought it was RDNA1......

Seems to me there is more to Ps5 customisations than meets the eye.

Add in cerny talked about if future PC RDNA GPU designs see features thatwe put in Ps5, then we have been successful - why would he say that, Cerny is not a boaster, there is something under the bonnet here/

I wasn't talking about you. Just Moore's Law is Dead who for some strange reason has been popping up everywhere lately and been quoted by major PC-centric websites.

CU count slightly increased would be a huge surprise. If he turns out to be correct on several of those, sure, I'll start taking him seriously.

Also, of course, there is more than meets the eye. We don't even know 1/5th of what the PS5 is really made of.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Bright Memory was mostly created by 1 guy in his spare time, Kid is talented.

Journey

Banned
Some fans needs a savior, any savior in this this dark times :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The topic reads, Are PS5 exclusives the flag bearers of Ray Tracing this generation? No, because apparently a 3rd party game called Bright Memory Infinite has out done them all in the Ray Tracing department lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom