• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PS5 exclusives the flag bearers of Ray-Tracing this generation?

Are Sony games/exclusives the flag bearers of Ray-tracing for this coming generation?

• Total voters

FlyyGOD

So what are you saying the performance difference will be?
I don't know what the performance differences will be. I don't even know if the PS5 has the full RDNA 2 feature set. Sony hasn't released the full gpu specs yet. I guess we'll find out on November 12th when digital Foundry gets their PS5.

duhmetree

Sony hasn't said a peep about DirectML ,they've been eerily quiet on the subject.
my bad. I dont know why I always thought Sony was using DirectX... Sony have their own custom API.

It makes sense considering developers mention PlayStation is easy to develop for.

edit- Further digging, seems like LocalRay is in business with a 'leading console'. Sounds like Sony and AMD tbh. Under NDA until 2H of 2020. Secret Sauce being revealed in the next 2 days?

LocalRay software enables real-time, energy-efficient ray tracing on smartphones

Last edited:
I don't know what the performance differences will be. I don't even know if the PS5 has the full RDNA 2 feature set. Sony hasn't released the full gpu specs yet. I guess we'll find out on November 12th when digital Foundry gets their PS5.

Don't you mean the 28th? That's when AMD has their RDNA2 event. Digital Foundry taking apart the console isn't going to tell you that.

FlyyGOD

Don't you mean the 28th? That's when AMD has their RDNA2 event. Digital Foundry taking apart the console isn't going to tell you that.
Is this when sony finally pulls back the curtain on its gpu? I hope people don't get their hopes up like they did expecting 13 teraflops.

Is this when sony finally pulls back the curtain on its gpu? I hope people don't get their hopes up like they did expecting 13 teraflops.

Well it's not like Digital Foundry is going to do that. Only ones that can is Sony or AMD. You should manage your expectations with Digital Foundry.

Last edited:
Well it's not like Digital Foundry is going to do that. Only ones that can is Sony or AMD. You should manage your expectations with Digital Foundry.

We definitely hope Sony delivers, if not on the 28th sometime eventually after that. It would be a fun and informative discussion.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Some people were speculating that 44% more CU means 44% faster RT on the SX lol. But as far as numbers goes SX still has only some 18% advantage. I think Microsoft is more into res and fps than gfx which IMO is a bad idea. They have to cater the SS as well and I think they do not want to go sub HD on the SS. So if their games are targetting 1440P for SS you cannot expect RT or great gfx. We do not know much about different API as well on these consoles. If Xbox is more like PC then it will not be very efficient.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
People who expect big differences between multiplatform game versions will be sorely disappointed.

You can already see it with every announced game being same resolution and same framerate on both platforms, mostly 4K reconstructed / 60 fps. It will look and run the same on XSX and PS5, I don't know why people expect otherwise with the hardware difference being so small.

Identical versions is also the best case scenario for publishers, so don't expect them to go out of their way to make both versions look different.

Kenpachii

I can't believe Sony wouldn't have already let everyone know their platform supports RDNA3 features just to calm the waters when the TF differences were known, so please don't grasp at straws.

As a RTX2080Ti owner, even on PC RT is barely used atm, I really doubt PS5 or XBSX will implement it in their launch games, but for the common good, I wish they would.

By the way, iirc, Minecraft got an update for the RTX content, so, deploying a patch to enable RTX is perfectly doable, there's no need to release, or download, a new version of the game in order to enable RTX.

It's not RDNA3 if AMD doesn't add it towards RDNA3. That's what cerny says in his presentation also i believe with his roadmap of AMD. They don't know if AMD will add it or PC even cares for it and even when if they do. Could very well be its a feature of RDNA 4 or 5 or 8.

What he could say is we got RDNA 2 gpu with extra functions we think we needed aka costum chip which i am sure they stated at some point. And what would u call the chip if they strip something out of it that isn't much needed which also happens. Would it still technically be RDNA2? not really. Probably also a reason sony never talked about RNDA2.

Anyway.

I think raytracing will be fine tuned by AMD and consoles over time and easier less demanding versions will be applied or only select parts will have raytracing. What nvidia does is simple to demanding for current cards.

Last edited:

zkorejo

I think so. PC should have best rt, but Sony exclusive devs are focusing on it and PC ports won't get as much attention for rt compared to ps exclusives (except maybe cyberpunk).

LordOfChaos

Well one is clearly the ray tracing champ
ElXnv_0XYAAvNcA

Top Bottom