• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the game awards relevant to you?

Are the awards relevant to you?

• No, they are a complete Joke

Votes: 84 43.1%
  • HELL Yea! I love it

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Meh

Votes: 94 48.2%

• Total voters
Nah, hasn't been in years. Its the same deal every year. Geoff hypes it beyond belief yet again or makes vague enough teases to entice people to watch it. Now, they added the extra layer of activism in the mix. No thanks.

I just pass it up and read if there are any worthwhile announcements the following day. Its a glorified advertisement show anyway.

Last edited:

NewYork214

If nothing going on. I'll watch for announcements. Or I just wait for 4k uploads of the trailers and premiers on YouTube.

Holammer

Complete joke & cringe, but I'm still going to watch it for the trailers.
By watch I mean I'm going to mute it most of the time.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Maybe an unpopular opinion in here but I like Geoff and his show. I don't care much about who gets the awards, but I like the drama that it causes:) And of course I watch it for the trailers. I also like to check Bafta awards, but I don't know if they got a show like that though.

Shifty1897

I like it a lot, but yes the non-game music is awful. I wanted the swallow a gun the time Imagine Dragons got on stage.

YukiOnna

It's fun! Even if not everything is for me or a year doesn't have something I get excited about (although there is always at least one,) it doesn't change I'll watch it and look forward to it. Nice to have someone continuing in-person events as it's like E3 and that's good for me in an era of robotic voice, trailer reel digital "shows". Nothing you have to think or get riled up about too much.

Plus, it's run by a Canadian so I will always shill

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I don't care for Keighley's Game Awards because of the fact that the show is more about the reveals and announcements than the awards. So in my mind they're already devaluing the awards themselves, and to my knowledge the developers value the D.I.C.E. awards more anyways.

So I don't even bother watching. I just watch for the GAF threads that gets created microseconds after the trailer or announcement is made on the show.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Funny saying that when a thread about Xbox not getting one (or even a nominee) for like a decade just a few days ago.
I don't think he meant it toward any platform in general Ikaru. Just looks like slim pickens most times and that's sorta the rut we're in. Anyone here old enough can remember when award ceremonies for games were so diverse in genre, platform and category that it really was something more than just trailers. I really hope we go that way again but, maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

You’re essentially asking if I watch it. Yes, I do. For the announcements and a tad bit for the awards.

And some of the performances.

The viewing numbers prove that basically the entire industry and active console base watches it.

clarky

Gold Member
Don't care for the actual awards but they've upped their game the last couple of years, i enjoy the announcements and whoever might invade the stage.

They said they've upped security this year, thats just a red rag to any nerd. lets see if anyone makes it.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Never watched a single one, so I don't care either way.

Most awards are popularity contests, and the stuff I like (mostly) simply isn't popular enough for those shows. And that's perfectly alright. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do enjoy them.

Ev1L AuRoN

I like it for what it is, but it's not that big of a deal TBH, I think they do a decent enough job with the nominee's.

It's fun though, specially because of console warring drama.

brian0057

Banned
Any award ceremony that crowns Dragon Age: Inquisition the Game of the Year should be dismissed and derided.

Last edited:

Fbh

The awards themselves? no.
The event can be fun when they have a good lineup of reveals, last year in particular was pretty solid.

I'll generally watch it if I'm not doing anything on that day, but it's not like I'll specifically free up time or cancel plans to watch it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Complete joke.

GOTY is the game that wins the most awards overall.

Even then, it doesn’t really matter unless you’re the type of Chad that likes to flex Zelda’s power over little bitch games.

DonF

I dont care for the awards. Or the musical presentations and shit. Im there for the trailers. So I don't watch it. I wait for the trailers here.

naguanatak

I watch the show for the trailers/announcements but I still enjoy the rest, I just don't take it seriously. Not that I care about the awards at all or who's licking whos butt or cringy PR talk. I just like to observe people who think they are important, like the CEO of our company in a meeting. They all shit and piss, need to eat and sleep. Yet they keep insisting on a charade of importance and babble on about superficial bullshit instead of being authentic and telling us the truth... And I find that very amusing and entertaining in between the trailers and announcements.
Still remember Josef Fares, just a breath of fresh air in a swamp of mediocracy.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I watch a recap for the game announcements. The awards mean absolutely zero to me. Couldn't care who or what wins an award.

pqueue

utterly irrelevant.

game of the year is totally subjective (same as movie, tv and music awards) and different people like different things.

Like what you like.

Mozzarella

Kinda in the middle.
I like that games can have awards that recognize talent and make this hype contest at the end of the year to sum it up, but also i dont like how its organized, the people who vote and who direct the shows refuse to learn or improve, and the discussion around it can get toxic and insufferable.

Over the years it has morphed into a premiere showcase of trailers and announcements, almost to the point where it is now known as the big winter event for gaming.

I like that. I feel like film award shows should follow suit and have trailer reveals for future projects while giving out awards.

Geoff’s only problem this entire time has been show pacing. He will consistently show off all of the really good stuff in the first half of the show and then the rest of the show drags it’s feet in the second half. A B-level Fast and Furious game presented by Vin Diesel would be a middle-of-show event, not the final showstopper or the ‘one more thing’ moment.

Moments like that belong to the trailer for the DLC to Elden Ring, or the new Capcom project.

Im Not No Way GIF

Doesn't mean it doesn't have value. No awards shows are really relevant for me to be honest. I always look forward to them so that I can check out all the cool trailers and announcements the next day at my leisure. I don't begrudge anyone for liking em', but they are essentially giant advertisements and I don't think people should put much weight behind any of them.

elmos-acc

I think industry awards usually do serve a purpose (Grammy's suck major ass though), and VGA is the most high profile ceremony in gaming. Of course as a show and a brand it tends to be pretty bad, but there's really nothing offensive about it's existence.

Pretty cringey and very nerdy, but it's still fun to watch overall. There are always a few cool announcements/trailers.

As for the awards, doesn't technically mean anything, but still fun to root for your game of choice. It's the closest thing we have to gaming Oscars, also meaningless, but fun to root for your favorite. It's a bit of bragging rights and validation, you bet your ass I'll be pumped when BG3 dominates.

tylrdiablos

Ignore them the same way I do E3. Simply have a look at your gaming site of choice the next day for a round-up/summary.

I watch after the fact for all of the announcements and trailers. Could not give two shits about the awards, or 90% of the guests, performances, etc....In fact I watch after so I can skip all that junk

KiteGr

If a "game of the year" edition is an excuse to get retail complete editions, then I like them.

Neolombax

Just here for the trailers man. But I guess the awards give recognition to the hard work of developers, so good on them.

I like it for the reveals/announcements, I find the majority of the other stuff cringey and ego massaging to say the least. The way Keighley , who has gotten more in love with himself year after year, fawns over some is sickening, it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a Kojima tattoo in a rude area.

Still to his credit, the reveals are a nice thing to be interested:tune into for a video game fan as Christmas approaches.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've never watched them but I don't actively hate them or anything.
Just don't care.

Top Bottom