• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a PS5 Pro in 2020 believer?

diffusionx

Gold Member
What was the reason the Pro launched in the first place? Why did Sony look at the console landscape and think, we need a mid gen refresh? In my opinion it was because of 4k TVs. They were coming on strong and neither console could boast any kind of 4k support. They were both stuck in 1080. With this next gen 4k will be solidly supported. I do not think 8k will be much of an issue before the next gen is over, so I do not expect a mid gen refresh. Happy to be wrong about that though.

I think the PS4 Pro is a great upgrade if you have a 4K display - the jump over the base system is obvious. And even if you have a 1080p TV, you can get excellent IQ with supersampling. So I'm glad it exists. I just wish it had a UHD drive, although I've never watched a UHD movie on my One X so...

Anyway the point of the PS4 Pro was that it was built to take advantage of stuff that came out after the PS4 launched. Launching a PS5 Pro at the same time as the PS5 makes no sense.

Last edited:

Aggelos

It's likely... It's not entirely remote or moot

If PS5Pro does eventually appear, I may as well become a Justin Pro Belieber...

Considering how funky their new "base" model turned I highly doubt it.

Why would they put out a perfectly designed pro model alongside a lower spec but high end model like what they've shown that was obviously overclocked to hell and back just to compete?

After all the negative press no one would even want to buy it and would feel forced to spend the extra money for the better console.

It wouldn't be a matter of selecting either the entry model or premium model like a Lockhart vs Anaconda situation.

That would be such a huge waste of money for Sony I dont think they would be that stupid.

The new console is what it is.

It may not be 12tf but it will still have absolutely incredible games for everyone to play.
Is that the reason why the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro continues to sell way less than their base counterparts?

I think the PS4 Pro is a great upgrade if you have a 4K display - the jump over the base system is obvious. And even if you have a 1080p TV, you can get excellent IQ with supersampling. So I'm glad it exists. I just wish it had a UHD drive, although I've never watched a UHD movie on my One X so...

Anyway the point of the PS4 Pro was that it was built to take advantage of stuff that came out after the PS4 launched. Launching a PS5 Pro at the same time as the PS5 makes no sense.

I hate to admit it but you’re absolutely right. Starting with a Pro at launch seems to signal lack of confidence in the base model now.

My prediction:

In a few years the Pro will drop with a 2TB SSD installed, expanded RT capability (this will be stressed more than other upgrades as the “killer feature”), higher clocked CPU, and more CUs

Last edited:
Cant see any mid generation upgrades this time around.
Last time there was the move from 1080P to 4k, and both companies wanted to exploit that. Especially Sony who were making and selling 4k Tv's.
At 3-4 years into the generation they were able to put out a new console that was 3-4 times as powerful as the launch units, at a reasonable cost. 3-4 years after the launch of PS5 and XSX, I can't see them even being able to put a console out that's twice the power of the base models.
Another point is that last gen both consoles were pretty basic specs, and very little secret sauce. This gen with VRS, Mesh Shading, Ray Tracing etc, there is a ton more optimizations that can be done which wont be maxed out for years after the launch. The improvement after each generation of games will be alot higher than we saw on PS4 and Xbone.

Blond

Banned
I'm probably gonna do it but it really, really depends on the world situation by then. Part of me says yes, but the realist in me says save every penny till this is over, anything to do with a new game console just doesn't tickle my interest.

Not a chance. The regular PS5 will be 500 dollars at best. Also, I don't think Sony is dumb enough to do that.

Nah. A normal PS5 is what's releasing at launch. If a PS5 pro comes it'll be 2022 or 2023. Though, I don't think it should come at all. The only reason we got a pro in the first place was because of PSVR.
They will just use the same reasoning when PSVR2 comes out.

Last edited:

Mendou

Banned
After what Sony have showed us until now I'm highly convinced that Sony's Engineering Team is not capable of building a console which will top the XBox Series X.

I really don't want to be rude, and I highly respect Mark Cerny, but the PS5 is in my opinion a not well thought out system in many ways.

Microsoft on the other hand thought about every single detail, nothing is in the XBox Series X without a reason, it's an engineered masterpiece, and you can already feel and see that though Microsoft really good PR and Marketing work. You can see that Microsoft is really confident in their Product, and that they had alot of fun building it together, the XBox Series X is a love letter to all XBox Fans! :D

And please don't let me get started now about Sony :D
Given the PS4 Pro and the egregious noise pollution it creates, I somewhat agree with you point. I can imagine the PS5 sounding like a vacuum cleaner if it takes a conventional console design.

BatSu

GrizzledSlimyKoala-size_restricted.gif

Poordevil

Thinking about a mid gen refresh some more... If this launch PS5 is is kinda border line as far as pushing 4k, like just able to run triple A games @ 30fps, I could see introducing a Pro later that could do 4k 60fps. Other than that I don't see a reason for a mid gen refresh.

Filippos

Banned
After what Sony have showed us until now I'm highly convinced that Sony's Engineering Team is not capable of building a console which will top the XBox Series X.

I really don't want to be rude, and I highly respect Mark Cerny, but the PS5 is in my opinion a not well thought out system in many ways.

Microsoft on the other hand thought about every single detail, nothing is in the XBox Series X without a reason, it's an engineered masterpiece, and you can already feel and see that though Microsoft really good PR and Marketing work. You can see that Microsoft is really confident in their Product, and that they had alot of fun building it together, the XBox Series X is a love letter to all XBox Fans! :D

And please don't let me get started now about Sony :D

yeah, maybe thats why Sony didnt show much, didn't even officially reveal the console itself? The less time people can actually compare xbox series x vs ps5 before launch the better?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If they do and its on par with the series X, then Im getting it instead of the base ps5.

Am i a believer? Ya know what I think? I think Mark Cerny's presentation could have been a smokescreen. There is no way in hell they could have thought this was the best way to show their specs. I think they may have been playing dead.

I dont know for sure but Microsoft could get sucker punched around E3 time. Maybe shortly after their digital show.

(Heh, Sucker Punched)...

molly14

yeah, maybe thats why Sony didnt show much, didn't even officially reveal the console itself? The less time people can actually compare xbox series x vs ps5 before launch the better?
Most people would wait to see how the games look on both consoles,to see if their is enough difference graphically and frame-rate wise,that it actually makes any difference,,instead of comparing paper specs the whole time.
Most don’t have a clue what they are talking about,or try to make out they know more about the systems than the people who actually designed them ,as if.!

I really see no chance of a pro anytime soon, which is fine as long as they don’t launch at the same price as the series x - that would allow microsoft to take the initiative. What would a pro even do? 12tf? Is this even a pro compared to a 10.3tf machine? To be a pro it would have to be 14tf and probably have 20gb of ram.

Kokoloko85

I did before but really no point if the machine is as powerful as it is.
The gap wont be bigger than Xbox 1X and PS4 Pro.
Im hoping the price will be the difference.

Top Bottom