• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you the Alpha among your group of friends or are you amongst the Betas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samk

I virtually never see this jargon used anywhere outside of GAF (outside of this, I see it mostly in the biological sciences). It seems like an internet phenomenon. Maybe I just run in the wrong social circles.

Or the right ones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of cliques of teenage girls that operate like that

Village

I virtually never see this jargon used anywhere outside of GAF (outside of this, I see it mostly in the biological sciences). It seems like an internet phenomenon. Maybe I just run in the wrong social circles.

it is, the internet occasionally learns words and do not know what they mean.

Like Hyperbole

ToxicAdam

Yea, but Sophie would constantly bully and demean Blanche. Blanche hardly ever fought back. She totally emotionally controlled Maude, too.

Coconut

Banned
Can girls be alpha?

To quote Jay-Z, 'Ladies is pimps too, go and brush your shoulders off.'

So yes, girls can also be Alphas.

Sophie and Blanche are in a constant struggle for dominance.

It's PUA talk. Never go to a PUA website.

I'm pretty sure Mean Girls and Heathers covered that ground.

The more important question is who is the alpha in the Golden Girls?

Dorothy. Rose was beta. But look at her now. All the rest are dead and she keeps trucking along more powerful than ever.

edit: you all make some compelling arguments why Dorothy is not the alpha.

Astral

Mew--article_image.jpg

But no, my friends and I just hang out. These labels have never crossed our minds.

Golgi_Apparati

Neo Member
Leading is about being decisive and knowing what you want. Nothing worse than someone who thinks they are a leader because they are loud and obnoxious and aggressive. A real leader gets people to listen through intelligence, confidence, and good decision making.

This describes a guy I work with perfectly... so obnoxious.

Yea, but Sophie would constantly bully and demean Blanche. Blanche hardly ever fought back. She totally emotionally controlled Maude, too.

Blanche knew Sophia was nothing but a senile old coot that could be controlled with a simple mention of Shady Pines. Dorothy was a ruined former teen mother off a terrible marriage who had never amounted to anything in her life, so it's no wonder her own mother controlled her. Plus her last name was Zbornak. Rose was probably pretty alpha in St. Olaf though.

kswiston

So only Homosexuals can be truly Alpha? Or would that be Bi-Sexual?

Prison rapists fit the natural alpha state better than either of those.

If humans ever had a alpha-beta dominance structure, society has long beat it out of us. Going to work and doing what your boss says is not alpha male behaviour. Obeying the law is not alpha male behaviour. If you want to go by the natural definition, most alphas are either dead, in prison, or likely to be heading to one of those two destinations (Maybe some of the rich ones end up as CEOs and politicians instead :p).

As for women, alpha males typically have their pick of a harem of females, but their ladies are constantly stepping out to have sex with the betas whenever the alpha male's back is turned.

I was the alpha when we were kids because I was the biggest and the smartest. Since all my friends enlisted in the military and I took a cushy job in a library, well...

Coconut

Banned
Blanche knew Sophia was nothing but a senile old coot that could be controlled with a simple mention of Shady Pines. Dorothy was a ruined former teen mother off a terrible marriage who had never amounted to anything in her life, so it's no wonder her own mother controlled her. Plus her last name was Zbornak. Rose was probably pretty alpha in St. Olaf though.

All Sophia had to do was call Blanche a whore and she'd get thrown off track. Even Rose would put Blanche down by calling her a slut.

Theonik

So only Homosexuals can be truly Alpha? Or would that be Bi-Sexual?
Sexual shaming shouldn't be confused with homosexuality. Separate things.
In a lot of human societies that was even common, among normally heterosexual males.

Opiate
Depressingly Beta

What!? Sophia, was working that place like no other and those old fucks were begging for it. Blanche would give it up for some Metamucil and saltines.

Sophia was too old to get it on with anyone. I think she got the least action of anyone in the series other than maybe Rose, cause Rose was too hung up on her dead husband Charlie to get it on with anyone.

Real talk though, Estelle Getty had such bad dementia toward the end of the series that she kept forgetting all of her lines. You can see the diminished role her character has by the end of the series. And I think she was actually younger than Bea Arthur and Betty White.

Coconut

Banned
Sophia was too old to get it on with anyone. I think she got the least action of anyone in the series other than maybe Rose, cause Rose was too hung up on her dead husband Charlie to get it on with anyone.

Real talk though, Estelle Getty had such bad dementia toward the end of the series that she kept forgetting all of her lines. You can see the diminished role her character has by the end of the series. And I think she was actually younger than Bea Arthur and Betty White.
Fuck you I was just about to drop that Bea Arthur fact.

I thought Maude was the one that wasn't getting laid and that's why she was so uptight?

Trouble

Banned
In my group of friends the most Alpha are probably two of the women. As one of them usually ends up planning and organizing any activities.

Maybe they aren't so much Alpha, as just less lazy than the rest of us.

Fuck you I was just about to drop that Bea Arthur fact.

I thought Maude was the one that wasn't getting laid and that's why she was so uptight?

Dorothy didn't get on dates too often but she has some notables. For example, she has an entire episode dedicated to her sexual escapades with a member of a Beatles cover band. But given the fact that the series ends with her marriage to Blanche's uncle (played by Leslie Nielsen) I think you sort of have to give her credit.

Coconut

Banned
Dorothy didn't get on dates too often but she has some notables. For example, she has an entire episode dedicated to her sexual escapades with a member of a Beatles cover band. But given the fact that the series ends with her marriage to Blanche's uncle (played by Leslie Nielsen) I think you sort of have to give her credit.

Was it Blanche that had the dude die in the bed or was it Maude? That was weird episode. I remember the tone switching from funny to super serious abruptly.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i could easily be alpha, but im too lazy for it and just sit there letting someone else winning the party

Was it Blanche that had the dude die in the bed or was it Maude? That was weird episode. I remember the tone switching from funny to super serious abruptly.

That was Rose. Actually, Charlie died from a heart attack while they were having sex, and that traumatized her. Then another of her boyfriends died in the same fashion in an episode as far as I recall.

I am so glad this thread turned into a Golden Girls thread.

ruxtpin

Banned
I read the title as "Are you the Alpha ... or are you amongst the Bears?"

Flashback to It's Always Sunny.

Are you a power bottom?

Coconut

Banned
That was Rose. Actually, Charlie died from a heart attack while they were having sex, and that traumatized her. Then another of her boyfriends died in the same fashion in an episode as far as I recall.

I am so glad this thread turned into a Golden Girls thread.

Since we are the subject; The Facts of Life becomes Designing Women, then the Designing Women become the Golden Girls. My question is what fills in the gaps? Trudy maybe is Ugly Betty?

Kozak

Banned
I still dont understand why one would choose to be a 'beta'. How is that any fun?

I wouldnt say im alpha either.. Just not a bitch beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom