• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

Was just shown tonight at the Spike Video Game Awards.

Website and trailer are up: http://www.arkhamhasmoved.com

15s810m.jpg

Awesome. One of my favorite games this year.

All it needs is less henchman / more variety to take them down. And get rid of the boss fights and it will be golden. If they could show a game like this doesn't need boss fights to make it "good", then we will be on the right track.

This is one those awesome announcements that are so predictable that it's just boring. Yay. Day one.

I don't really have any wishlist for the sequel, just transplant the mechanics into a fresh setting and provide a nice rogue's gallery and I'll be happy.

ethelred

I'll be delighted to play a sequel, of course, since I absolutely loved the first game, but I still feel like this is too soon. When is this game supposed to come out? Next year, I'd assume... and I'm not sure if they'll really be able to do a sequel justice in just a year. I guess we'll see.

I didn't watch these awards. What was shown? Any details?

kuYuri

It's only been like 4 months since Arkham Asylum, this is a bit soon.

Still, it's great to hear it's getting a sequel.

RagnarokX

Maybe it's a take on that storyline in the comics where Gotham was closed off due to an earthquake. Batmobile/Batwing missions, pls.

ethelred

ninj4junpei said:
Nice, hopefully they get a much better writer and boss designer for this one.

Er, Paul Dini is a great writer. And his contributions were one of the things that made the first game so good.

Bebpo said:
Expansion pack for $60?

I bought the first game for 30$ on launch day. Hopefully there are some good deals next time around, too. But yes, this is my big concern.

ethelred said:
I'll be delighted to play a sequel, of course, since I absolutely loved the first game, but I still feel like this is too soon. When is this game supposed to come out? Next year, I'd assume... and I'm not sure if they'll really be able to do a sequel justice in just a year. I guess we'll see.

I didn't watch these awards. What was shown? Any details?
Will post the trailer in the OP when it shows up online. Should be up after the show is done airing. Didn't show a release date. Takes place in Gotham by the looks of it.

ethelred said:
Er, Paul Dini is a great writer. And his contributions were one of the things that made the first game so good.
How much did he really contribute, though? Since while all the incidental dialogue and Joker stuff was really good (and the delivery even better), the story was pretty weak.

All that said, SO HOT.

I AM JOHN! said:
How much did he really contribute, though? Since while all the incidental dialogue and Joker stuff was really good (and the delivery even better), the story was pretty weak.

All that said, SO HOT.

how was the story weak? I am loving it so far (just beat
Poison Ivy
)

Wait.. it's this truly an Arkham Asylum 2 or a sequel set elsewhere (you know, Gotham City? There are a lot of fantastic locations in the Batman universe)?

edit: nevermind, people say it's in Gotham. So awesome, can't wait.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It was obvious that there would be a sequel, but it was kind of a surprise to see it announced so soon. That's fine with me, though, I loved AA and have been eagerly anticipating more since the moment I finished it.

DigitalDevil said:
how was the story weak? I am loving it so far (just beat
Poison Ivy
)
To be honest, I just felt like everything was too convenient beyond the point of believability. I certainly wouldn't call it bad, but it came across as a story was subservient to shoe-horning in all the villains and setpieces, not the other way around. Didn't make the game any less awesome, though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Meh. Part of what made AA so great was the surprise that it was so great. Plus, the Joker. With that load blown, the most interesting nemesis of Batman's (by FAR) is probably not the main antagonist (and without Hamill...). With that possibility, along with a sequel being way too soon, I can't get hyped for this.

WHy do gamers want to see something so good run into the ground so fast?

Edit: Okay, saw the trailer. Guess you can't do Batman without the Joker after all. He sure escapes quick. >.>

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Kintaro said:
Meh. Part of what made AA so great was the surprise that it was so great. Plus, the Joker. With that load blown, the most interesting nemesis of Batman's (by FAR) is probably not the main antagonist (and without Hamill...). With that possibility, along with a sequel being way too soon, I can't get hyped for this.

It's pretty clear in the trailer that Joker is in Arkham Asylum 2 and he is voiced by Mark Hamill.

Kintaro said:

WHy do gamers want to see something so good run into the ground so fast?

Edit: Okay, saw the trailer. Guess you can't do Batman without the Joker after all. He sure escapes quick. >.>
Trailer seems to imply Joke as the main baddie again and its clearly Hamill's laugh in the trailer.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I AM JOHN! said:
To be honest, I just felt like everything was too convenient beyond the point of believability. I certainly wouldn't call it bad, but it came across as a story was subservient to shoe-horning in all the villains and setpieces, not the other way around. Didn't make the game any less awesome, though.

It was told so well that it didn't even matter.

the amount of stupid going on itt is ridiculous

great game comes out: "Woohoo, finally a great game!"

great game gets a sequel with what, apparently, fans wanted in a sequel: "Meh, why should we care."

Top Bottom