• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrest warrant issued for Deandre Harris (black man beaten by Neo-Nazis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put your emotions aside for the moment. Like I said in my post, its the 'content' that matters, the source is irrelevant. If the content is factual it doesnt matter who the source or messenger is. The guy could could be a complete nutter (and I'm not exactly going to argue that a 9/11 truther or anyone that condones running a car into a crowd isnt in some way unhinged), but unless your argument is that the footage has been manipulated (and there are multiples angles of this event) it is quite clear Deandre did in fact attempt to hit someone with something.

With so many people around and so many differing accounts its hard to say what exactly happen in the lead up to that incident, the only thing that is clear is that at some point theres a tussle over the flag, that someone (believed to be Deandre) appears to strike at someone with something and shortly after a larger scuffle breaks out and Deandre is hurt badly.

Again, it doesn't matter who shot the footage, it doesnt matter who uploaded the footage, what matters is contained in the footage. That is my point. I am not advocating anything. I'm saying that until this point the only footage that was ever shown is Deandre and others in his group being beaten, but in light of what is shown in the video more recently released, it shows more of the lead up to the altercation (and unfortunately for Deandre if that is indeed him) would appear to support the notion that he did in fact attack someone, hence why the charge has been brought about.

My main point is that people are making assumption on topics / issues / events off single sided views; if the view fits their own personal belief they will accept it and defend it even when or if an opposing view is put forth, no matter the context, fact or relevancy of the opposing view solely based on the integrity (or perceived lack of) of anothers will be dismissed because it doesnt support the narrative someone has already decided upon.

Facts are facts and being on the morally correct side doesnt make anything more or less true. Whats in that video is in that video.
DeAndre Harris defended his fellow man and town against violent neo nazis. He was beaten for standing for what was right and is a hero for doing so. I’m sorry that a black man standing up to white oppression has you so twisted, but he was right to fight back at any time, because I’m case you forgot: THEY WERE VIOLENT NEO NAZIS THAT KILLED PEOPLE THAT DAY. There is no build up or other facts to consider. If he hit them for nothing more than being a nazi, he would still be justified to do so.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
DeAndre Harris defended his fellow man and town against violent neo nazis. He was beaten for standing for what was right and is a hero for doing so. I'm sorry that a black man standing up to white oppression has you so twisted, but he was right to fight back at any time, because I'm case you forgot: THEY WERE VIOLENT NEO NAZIS THAT KILLED PEOPLE THAT DAY. There is no build up or other facts to consider. If he hit them for nothing more than being a nazi, he would still be justified to do so.

Being justified and being legally justified is 2 different things. This thread is about legal proceedings not morals.

It's also being lost in the shuffle of did he or did not attack the old guy, or who actually caused damage to the old guy.. that Harris's beating was unjustified by the law.

The people who attacked him should be held accountable. Harris did attack someone if that is him in the video. That is probably what lead to his arrest.

I think this thread also points to what is wrong with the media and internet personalities. Everything is painted in such a way that they leave out details that could be incriminating to their side. If things were reported fairly we'd have the whole story and then we can just debate the moral implications of it all. Right-wing media is painting it like Harris swung at old guy, so beating was justified. Left wing is painting it like he defended his friend and the old guy was beaten by someone else and blaming Harris. I haven't seen data to back up either of those positions. What I've seen is guy takes flag, guy swings at guy trying to keep flag, guy get's beaten. Old guy get's flag back, marches on.. and later is beaten by completely other people.

All of this took place during a very tense situation, and the police controlled said situation very poorly. Also, the laws need to change to protect hate speech. Hate speech I will argue is violent in nature. So hate speech should not be protected.

Mohonky

Being justified and being legally justified is 2 different things. This thread is about legal proceedings not morals.

It's also being lost in the shuffle of did he or did not attack the old guy, or who actually caused damage to the old guy.. that Harris's beating was unjustified by the law.

The people who attacked him should be held accountable. Harris did attack someone if that is him in the video. That is probably what lead to his arrest.

I think this thread also points to what is wrong with the media and internet personalities. Everything is painted in such a way that they leave out details that could be incriminating to their side. If things were reported fairly we'd have the whole story and then we can just debate the moral implications of it all. Right-wing media is painting it like Harris swung at old guy, so beating was justified. Left wing is painting it like he defended his friend and the old guy was beaten by someone else and blaming Harris. I haven't seen data to back up either of those positions. What I've seen is guy takes flag, guy swings at guy trying to keep flag, guy get's beaten. Old guy get's flag back, marches on.. and later is beaten by completely other people.

All of this took place during a very tense situation, and the police controlled said situation very poorly. Also, the laws need to change to protect hate speech. Hate speech I will argue is violent in nature. So hate speech should not be protected.

^

What I've been trying to say in my previous posts which is being construed as being supportive of nazis / or of being sympathetic to them.

I'm not leaning in any direction here as to who started what with this particular incident here legally because its too hard to get the full picture and each side is only going to present anything that supports the narrative they want to push.

They should be stopping these at their root though. These marches will always inevitably end in violent altercations, cant see why they even entertain the idea of letting them happen.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're expecting liberal leaning channels to present the same video showing the guy attmpting to clock the neo nazi? If you try to track down that angle, of course its going to come from a place that is pushing its own narrative.

Both left and right leaning media, youtube channels and personalities are presenting only half truths and have been for a long time now.
Yea not this isn't a both sides issue. How many left leaning youtube channels present half truths compare to channels that say "DID ANTIFA CREATE THE CAR ATTACK." That's just straight up BS.

Mahonay

Banned
You're expecting liberal leaning channels to present the same video showing the guy attmpting to clock the neo nazi? If you try to track down that angle, of course its going to come from a place that is pushing its own narrative.

Both left and right leaning media, youtube channels and personalities are presenting only half truths and have been for a long time now.
XAxaV.gif

Forward

Imagine if this was the preamble to Nazi Germany.

A Jew attacks a Nazi that is attacking his friend.

How would you feel if, knowing what you know today, you were one of the people who said "I hope the Jew AND the Nazi are arrested"?

That's insane. Why should the Jew be arrested for defending and protecting an innocent victim?

Cyframe

So let me get things straight, we see a man attempt to spear a group of people with a flag pole and now there is an argument on the validity of self defence?

Fake objectivity is not being objective. Especially since we now know the fbi has been branding black protestors with an extremist label. This could be one of many examples of black protestors being charged for defending themselves and others.

Like, a person threatening violence can still be met with self defence. And when an entire town is overrun with nazis, and the fact that most of those men still haven't been identified reeks of complacency for white supremacists.

Point me to where I did this.
Considering you lost your ability to make threads because you made a suspect as hell thread about black people linking to a YouTube channel that was basically (((SOROS))) with less than 2K subscribers.

Maybe don't throw stones.

Forward

So let me get things straight, we see a man attempt to spear a group of people with a flag pole and now there is an argument on the validity of self defence?

Fake objectivity is not being objective. Especially since we now know the fbi has been branding black protestors with an extremist label. This could be one of many examples of black protestors being charged for defending themselves and others.

Like, a person threatening violence can still be met with self defence. And when an entire town is overrun with nazis, and the fact that most of those men still haven't been identified reeks of complacency for white supremacists.

A flag that by its very existence incites to deeds of violence. Bearing the flag itself is an act of violence.

Ishan

A flag that by its very existence incites to deeds of violence. Bearing the flag itself is an act of violence.
Wait wait are we talking about the confederate flag or even the nazi flag I doubt you can claim that in America . Nazi flag in Germany probably given the free speech laws

ZOONAMI

There is something very wrong with VAs justice system allowing a bunch of nazis to crowdsource a warrant on a black man defending himself and others from nazis, and then was brutally beaten by nazis. It’s disgusting people on gaf are defending this shit.

The state of Virginia and it’s police were completely negligent in their duty to prevent any of this from happening, and now they have the audacity to issue a warrant on someone who was brutally beaten because of their negligence? On the fucking whim of nazis who brought all this violence to Charlottesville in the first place? It is utterly fucking disgusting.

Mohonky

Considering you lost your ability to make threads because you made a suspect as hell thread about black people linking to a YouTube channel that was basically (((SOROS))) with less than 2K subscribers.

Maybe don't throw stones.

I made a thread about 'black people?' That's what you got from that?

You must have been one of the many that never bothered to read the thread or the video that was attached to it for context.

Maybe you should go visit the thread where people are so amazingly shocked that they'd never heard of rape gangs grooming youngs girl, which incidently was one of the topics covered. It was entirely about PC culture paralyzing organisation designed to benefit minorities and communities into inaction. If you and others had bothered to read and watch the video, maybe you'd have understood that. It was not about 'black people' and I have no idea how anyone could even come to that conclusion. It was also a BBC production from memory, so what is your point in referencing the uploader, especially considering as I have pointed out earlier and continue to say, people should stop dismissing discussion because they have an issue with the source.....which again, you (and many others in the thread you brought up) were doing.

Regardless, I dont see what the relationship is between my post, what that other user posted and what you're trying to get at here considering its not at all relevant to this thread except to attack me for something you failed to comprehend.

Cyframe

I made a thread about 'black people?' That's what you got from that?

You must have been one of the many that never bothered to read the thread or the video that was attached to it for context.

Maybe you should go visit the thread where people are so amazingly shocked that they'd never heard of rape gangs grooming youngs girl, which incidently was one of the topics covered. It was entirely about PC culture paralyzing organisation designed to benefit minorities and communities into inaction. If you and others had bothered to read and watch the video, maybe you'd have understood that. It was not about 'black people' and I have no idea how anyone could even come to that conclusion. It was also a BBC production from memory, so what is your point in referencing the uploader, especially considering as I have pointed out earlier and continue to say, people should stop dismissing discussion because they have an issue with the source.....which again, you (and many others in the thread you brought up) were doing.

Regardless, I dont see what the relationship is between my post, what that other user posted and what you're trying to get at here considering its not at all relevant to this thread except to attack me for something you failed to comprehend.

I think it's worth examining your motivations because looking at that thread in question, I can see a mirror of those same sentiments here. The skepticism of PoC, portraying those on the left as regressive, and then shielding yourself from critique with the other side must not be considering all of the powers at play here.

You compared the word racist to pedophilia.

On topic though, you literally said you aren't taking sides, and you don't know who started it (hint it was the nazis). Then you paint both sides as having an agenda when one side wants genocide and the other side doesn't want nazis in their own town.

There is no middle. Only complacency and falsing claiming that sides are proportional.

That's why people aren't responding kindly to you. Perhaps pausing and reflecting would be to your benefit.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think it's worth examining your motivations because looking at that thread in question, I can see a mirror of those same sentiments here. The skepticism of PoC, portraying those on the left as regressive, and then shielding yourself from critique with the other side must not be considering all of the powers at play here.

On topic though, you literally said you aren't taking sides, and you don't know who started it (hint it was the nazis). Then you paint both sides as having an agenda when one side wants genocide and the other side doesn't want nazis in their own town.

There is no middle. Only complacency and falsing claiming that sides are proportional.

That's why people aren't responding kindly to you. Perhaps pausing and reflecting would be to your benefit.
But then he can't sit on the moral high ground that is "both sides are equally bad and I'm above them because i'm sitting on this here fence."

Cyframe

It turns out that the gif being posted isn't even Mr. Harris. He was actually in the hospital at the time of that attack. Granted. Deandre did use a flashlight to ward off a white supremacist, barely if even grazing them.

IrishNinja

*looks at post history* narrator's voice: he won't

Literal actual Nazis attacking minorities and we have people saying "well we're talking legality, not morality here".

God how I wish there was an internet in the 1940s.

Ishan

There is something very wrong with VAs justice system allowing a bunch of nazis to crowdsource a warrant on a black man defending himself and others from nazis, and then was brutally beaten by nazis. It’s disgusting people on gaf are defending this shit.

The state of Virginia and it’s police were completely negligent in their duty to prevent any of this from happening, and now they have the audacity to issue a warrant on someone who was brutally beaten because of their negligence? On the fucking whim of nazis who brought all this violence to Charlottesville in the first place? It is utterly fucking disgusting.

Can the police even do anything ? I'm no legal va expert but from what ppl are posting it seems to be some sort of end run to the judge around the police

III-V

we all know what the deal was when there was never any justice for Deandre. Its been more than a month and they tracked down one guy (if that)? The writing is on the wall and it is plain as day. This country as a whole does not give two fucks about what happened. Republicans are afraid to speak out against their base, afraid to be at odds with their white supremacist twitter bot chucklehead reality tv leader in the white house.
There is no defense for Charlottesville PD. We have seen all the videos of the Neo Nazi and neo confederates and old racist nitwits, brandishing weapons, causing deaths, injuries and murdering a person, and the PD can't scrap together who the fucking boys are jumping Deandre?

Then we have our own dipshit defense force we have to deal with? Days after announcement and we still letting the racists and fascists fucking win?

Don't pretend you give a shit when its clear what the agenda is and keep on keeping on with yellow belly moderation.

Literal actual Nazis attacking minorities and we have people saying "well we're talking legality, not morality here".

"I understand lynching is terrible but we have no idea what happened before the cameras started snapping photos."

"What if this wasn't a lynching? Maybe this is two Black suicide victims that a group of white passerbys stumbled upon and they decided to take a selfie".

"My friend, who is white by the way, once whistled at a white woman and her husband made him apologize. What if Emmit Till just stubbornly refused to apologize?"

turtle553

Doesn't look like he was trying to spear anyone. Trying to pull the flag back. The evidence does not look good legally for Deandre no matter what the moral argument is.

ViLs0IL.png

Jakten

So someone may have posted a doctored photo made to look like a video. Hmmm.

The guy seems to have taken live streams but the photo shown in his article is exactly the same as the one in the video, it could be just someone displaying the image while talking though and not necessarily a mock up.

Lowmelody

Doesn't look like he was trying to spear anyone. Trying to pull the flag back. The evidence does not look good legally for Deandre no matter what the moral argument is.

ViLs0IL.png

You're either being manipulated by white supremacist or you are one.

Don't be a sucker.

I'm wondering because that photo doesn't even show the confrontation.

Not really going to worry about it though, it's fairly obvious what the motivations are with this

Mr. X

"They're not real Nazis, they're fake Nazis. They just believe all the same rhetoric, using fear and intimidation, want ethnic cleansing but they're Americans and this just the price of freedom."

Eaglecrying.gif

Not

Banned
Being black really is being guilty until proven innocent, huh.

Watching it play out in real time like this is haunting.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Feel free to make another thread when there's some more news, but we're just down to slinging insinuations at each other in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom