• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrest warrant issued for Deandre Harris (black man beaten by Neo-Nazis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

harris.gif

This the hit?

This pisses me off because they might be able to make a case out of this in some fucked up court of law.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Literally a flag waving neo nazi. This is the new face of the right.

6A9Mdr0.jpg

Also, saying that Heather Mayer died of a heart attack rather than being murdered by white supremacists? What the fuck. I hope karma finds this disgusting scumbag one day.
Yet another example of this too:
llJdDKVh.jpg

I saw the gif. At first, I thought the old person was being pulled in. But after several viewings seems like the old dude was charging in.

Fuchsdh

Pretty hard to definitely proof that's him. Although he himself could easily confirm or deny it.

It's impossIble to tell based on what little footage there is.

The extended footage posted up earlier makes it clear he's wrestling for the flag with the shirtless guy who tried to take it before the events of the gif.

That said, I haven't seen anything showing the aftermath of the hit, presumably because it would look back on the white supremacists if a bunch of guys immediately started wailing on him in excess of what he did.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Na, when making the gif I looked around for videos of other angles and now my youtube recommendations are all fucked. Anyhow it looks like someone grabbed the old guy's flag, they're tugging back and forth with the old guy obviously loosing, Harris swings something at the old guy's head and old guy seems to jerk his head back enough so it misses.

Na, there is no back and forth. What you see is the guy at the other end of the pole holding on to it trying to not get impaled. The old guy is always lunging foreword. You are right though that the old guy moves and it looks like Harris completely misses. Making this arrest warrant even more ridiculous.

Hesemonni

Banned
Na, there is no back and forth. What you see is the guy at the other end of the pole holding on to it trying to not get impaled. The old guy is always lunging foreword. You are right though that the old guy moves and it looks like Harris completely misses. Making this arrest warrant even more ridiculous.
Short YouTube video of the hit

The hit connects or the old man has helluva robot moves. The video is probably purposely cut here to leave out the damage. Or probably lack of damage out. If it had hurt badly enough it probably would've been on the news somewhere when the event was covered.

Particle Physicist

I saw the gif. At first, I thought the old person was being pulled in. But after several viewings seems like the old dude was charging in.

That is what I am says. He is always moving forward. You never seen him attempt to move back or even pull back. At one point you can see he tries to lift the pole up to aim it better but only his back arm, the one at the end of the pole raises. Clearly the other guy had one of his hand at the top of the pole likely forcing it away from his body.

Lowmelody

People going "welp theres proof" are making me sick. Him wacking a goddamn Nazi is immaterial to the attempted lynching that he was a victim of.

Did you guys first see the pictures of this black man getting the life beat out of him by a literal group of Nazis and think "Wonder what he did to instigate that?"

TS-08

The plot thickens:

G4szNLp.png

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First of all, judges or magistrates are always the ones to issue warrants, not the police, so maybe there is a wording issue here. Also, in the WaPo story I read on this, it said the magistrate who issued the warrant also talked to a detective, so I'm not sure what it means that they went "around" the police, unless that detective was offering a recommendation against the warrant, which might be possible. I don't know exactly how this process would work. I'm also not sure what King meant by the judge doing no investigation. What kind of investigations does he think judges/magistrates perform before issuing a warrant? I'm sure the video was presented as well as statements made by the alleged victim. They also at least spoke with a detective who presumably has looked into this. So I'm not sure what else was required.

None of this is to say the decision can't be scrutinized.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I hope the people of Charlottesville raise hell and manage to get rid of that judge. I can't imagine they're happy about this.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First of all, judges or magistrates are always the ones to issue warrants, not the police, so maybe there is a wording issue here. Also, in the WaPo story I read on this, it said the magistrate who issued the warrant also talked to a detective, so I'm not sure what it means that they went "around" the police, unless that detective was offering a recommendation against the warrant, which might be possible. I don't know exactly how this process would work. I'm also not sure what King meant by the judge doing no investigation. What kind of investigations does he think judges/magistrates perform before issuing a warrant? I'm sure the video was presented as well as statements made by the alleged victim. They also at least spoke with a detective who presumably has looked into this. So I'm not sure what else was required.

None of this is to say the decision can't be scrutinized.

I think the implication is that citizens went directly to the judge and did not involve the police. Apparently some jurisdictions allow that. So citizens alone presented "evidence" to the judge to get a warrant.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

That is what I am says. He is always moving forward. You never seen him attempt to move back or even pull back. At one point you can see he tries to lift the pole up to aim it better but only his back arm, the one at the end of the pole raises. Clearly the other guy had one of his hand at the top of the pole likely forcing it away from his body.

No, clearly in the other video the shirtless guy tried to take the old guys flag... they were both pulling on the flag... there isn't lunging or the like. The guy next to shirtless guy (I'm assuming it's Harris) then swings a black club like object at the old guy.. then from other views it turns into a scuffle and Harris ends up getting beat by 3 or 4 white nazis.

Harris was wrong to swing the club, the shirtless guy was wrong to take the flag.. and the nazi's were wrong to beat Harris for something that didn't actually involve them.. because I don't see the old guys in the pic of the beating.

This seems like a clear case of heightened tensions and bad decisions.

Harris better get off with slight charges at best.. he did something wrong it seems for sure.

The guys who beat him should get locked up for some length of time, absolutely no excuse for their behavior. They beat a defenseless man severely.

TS-08

I think the implication is that citizens went directly to the judge and did not involve the police. Apparently some jurisdictions allow that. So citizens alone presented "evidence" to the judge to get a warrant.

That's probably right, but the police were involved in this decision, so I'm curious what was discussed and whether the police department changed course at some point, if they originally didn't think here was enough for an arrest (or just didn't want to, given the circumstances). But there was clearly law enforcement involvement and an investigation of some kind. Hopefully we see more details soon.

NervousXtian

Any force used against a Nazi is self defense. Fuck the law.

I agree morally, but legally you still have to face consequences. I'm not feeling sorry for any neo-nazi who get's punched or beaten.

I think it's why originally they didn't want to charge Harris... but looks like someone forced their hands. I'm hoping he can have it dropped or plea out on some community service.

That's probably right, but the police were involved in this decision, so I'm curious what was discussed and whether the police department changed course at some point, if they originally didn't think here was enough for an arrest (or just didn't want to, given the circumstances). But there was clearly law enforcement involvement and an investigation of some kind. Hopefully we see more details soon.

It says verification, so it may be as little as confirming the actors, location, and time in the video. Which I imagine a detective cannot under oath deny.

Citizen complaint actual works with a magistrate here. Just troubling. Congrats on being a pawn for the Nazis

mcrommert

Banned

Yeah in Charlottesville and much of Virginia this is a thing

The evidence given was that video we are seeing now

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First of all, judges or magistrates are always the ones to issue warrants, not the police, so maybe there is a wording issue here. Also, in the WaPo story I read on this, it said the magistrate who issued the warrant also talked to a detective, so I'm not sure what it means that they went "around" the police, unless that detective was offering a recommendation against the warrant, which might be possible. I don't know exactly how this process would work. I'm also not sure what King meant by the judge doing no investigation. What kind of investigations does he think judges/magistrates perform before issuing a warrant?

Typically, warrants go out after police and detectives do an investigation and request the warrant to proceed further. Typically, only in the case of bench warrants do judges issue warrants of their own volition and even then its cause the person failed to appear in court for something prior.

TS-08

It says verification, so it may be as little as confirming the actors, location, and time in the video. Which I imagine a detective cannot under oath deny.

Citizen complaint actual works with a magistrate here. Just troubling. Congrats on being a pawn for the Nazis

And as I said initially, it might be a situation where the magistrate went "around" the police in the sense that they didn't actually want to pursue the matter. And maybe that was discussed with the magistrate.

TS-08

Typically, warrants go out after police and detectives do an investigation and request the warrant to proceed further. Typically, only in the case of bench warrants do judges issue warrants of their own volition and even then its cause the person failed to appear in court for something prior.

I'm aware, thanks.

Con_Smith

Banned
Personally I don't give a fuck. We deal with so much shit and these ballbags want to threaten and scare us, rip our freedoms and mock our voices? well take these lumps.

We let these guys go and have this young man locked up we'll just be sitting here shocked at blacks getting lynched and charged for disturbing the peace postmortem. Instead of demonizing and discrediting these facist fucks we're gonna both sides this shit till people like me really can't find a way to be comfortable in this country.

Particle Physicist

No, clearly in the other video the shirtless guy tried to take the old guys flag... they were both pulling on the flag... there isn't lunging or the like. The guy next to shirtless guy (I'm assuming it's Harris) then swings a black club like object at the old guy.. then from other views it turns into a scuffle and Harris ends up getting beat by 3 or 4 white nazis.

Harris was wrong to swing the club, the shirtless guy was wrong to take the flag.. and the nazi's were wrong to beat Harris for something that didn't actually involve them.. because I don't see the old guys in the pic of the beating.

This seems like a clear case of heightened tensions and bad decisions.

Harris better get off with slight charges at best.. he did something wrong it seems for sure.

The guys who beat him should get locked up for some length of time, absolutely no excuse for their behavior. They beat a defenseless man severely.

Not the way I see it at all. The old guy looks like he is moving forward with that flag and never pulling back.

Imagine if this was the preamble to Nazi Germany.

A Jew attacks a Nazi that is attacking his friend.

How would you feel if, knowing what you know today, you were one of the people who said "I hope the Jew AND the Nazi are arrested"?

NervousXtian

Not the way I see it at all. The old guy looks like he is moving forward with that flag and never pulling back.

Watch the other video. The shirtless guy was trying to snatch the flag.

Denying what happened in the video doesn't let us debate the real issue. Which is the disproportionate use of force against POC.

turtle553

And that is what a trial can determine based on all the evidence. It is reasonable to try and figure out what happened before saying any actions were justified or not. All the video is probable cause and a trial should sort out the rest.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Nazi attacked, got hit with bat. Simple. It's too bad that the majority of conservatives are pro-Nazi though and are going to show this off over and over while igboring Nazi violence. Just disgusting human beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom