• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrest warrant issued for Deandre Harris (black man beaten by Neo-Nazis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark L

OK I watched it. It looks to me like he's defending his friend who's getting hit by the flag. And have the other people who beat the shit out of him beyond the one in jail been arrested yet? When's that coming?

Derwind

They went out of their way to get an arrest warrant for the man that was attacked by a group of assailants.

Can't even be bothered to hide their true colours.

Forward

I feel really, really fucking stupid. Because I just cannot wrap my head around this. How is any of the legal fallout from this even a single iota... legal?

Someone smarter than I, please enlighten me.

This is supposed to be Earth: The Blue Planet.

It's lookin' awfully Orange, right now.

Orange is the new Orange.

And I am very, very angry right now.

Not

Banned
They went out of their way to get an arrest warrant for the man that was attacked by a group of assailants.

Can't even be bothered to hide their true colours.

It says white nationalist right in the lawyer's twitter bio

I'm thinking maybe that should grounds to be disbarred? Or is that only when you criticize the President's racism? What do I know

Kvik

I sincerely hope a good judge will dismiss the case. It will set a bad precedent if they let it go to trial.

Who am I kidding. He'll get the maximum penalty for assault and battery.

All in the name of "both sides" and to place blame on the victim because the dp did nothing considering the attack took place literally next door to the police station.

gnomed

Backward ass thinking from the backward assed magistrates of Charlottesville. The Feds need to step-in and investigate this hate crime now.

besada

Banned
I feel really, really fucking stupid. Because I just cannot wrap my head around this. How is any of the legal fallout from this even a single iota... legal?

Someone smarter than I, please enlighten me.

This is supposed to be Earth: The Blue Planet.

It's lookin' awfully Orange, right now.

Orange is the new Orange.

And I am very, very angry right now.
So, as far as I can tell, white supremacists got footage together, showed it to a Magistrate, and the Magistrate decided that based on that, it was reasonable to issue a warrant for Deandre Harris. Once issued, the police are required to serve it, which they did. Harris's lawyer will be taking him in for an arrest, at which point the police claim they will release the evidence the warrant is based on.

The Magistrate system is designed to make the police answerable to citizens, so if they aren't investigating something they should, you can go to them and they'll force the police to investigate. It seems clear that it's being misused here to harrass the victim.

Yukiari

Backward ass thinking from the backward assed magistrates of Charlottesville. The Feds need to step-in and investigate this hate crime now.

The feds will probably just think he’s part of that new terrorist group they made. They’ll just say he’s a BIE.

Kite

harris.gif

This the hit?

Not

Banned

You mean the Feds who recently took white supremacists off the watch list and replaced them with "black identity extremists?"

America's forever fucked. I don't know what to do. We might be unsalvagable.

watershed

Banned

What feds? Sessions' justice department or the FBI who are more interested in targeting black activists than white supremacists?

Yukiari

You mean the Feds who recently took white supremacists off the watch list and replaced them with "black identity extremists?"

I used to think that, but I’m still working through the seven stages of grief. I think I’m entering the numbing depression stage, as of right now there’s not a lot salvagable.

gnomed

Wtf..when did this happen. This country is making its own hell. When's the breaking point?

So, as far as I can tell, white supremacists got footage together, showed it to a Magistrate, and the Magistrate decided that based on that, it was reasonable to issue a warrant for Deandre Harris. Once issued, the police are required to serve it, which they did. Harris's lawyer will be taking him in for an arrest, at which point the police claim they will release the evidence the warrant is based on.

The Magistrate system is designed to make the police answerable to citizens, so if they aren't investigating something they should, you can go to them and they'll force the police to investigate. It seems clear that it's being misused here to harrass the victim.

These people are terrifying. It's incredible that they can be so organized in the name of such hatred.

Where is this kind of organization against this kind of injustice? We call out how bad it is and complain but who's actually working to do anything about it? There's peaceful protest after peaceful protest, but what else can people do to take a stand?

sqwarlock

Searched "DeAndre Harris" on Twitter. Top result was Cernovich doing his usual song and dance, followed by some jackass thanking everyone who compiled video evidence that helped this arrest happen.

Fuck these people. Fuck this country. Fuck Trump. Fuck Nazis. FUCK.

Not

Banned
Is that a hammer?

deandre-harrid-deandre-harris-being-beaten.jpg

Maybe. Can you identify all the weapons in this picture as well?

You know, the picture of four men beating another man, factoring in our present reality that only one of them was arrested and said suspect is now trying to claim what's happening in this photo was valid, restrained self defense?

deandre-harrid-deandre-harris-being-beaten.jpg

Maybe. Can you identify all the weapons in this picture as well?

You know, the picture of four men beating another man, factoring in our present reality that only one of them was arrested and is now trying to claim what's happening in this photo was valid, restrained self defense?

Sure those look like fucking clubs and pipes and shit, even worse. Nobody fucking deserves that. I'm just trying to wrap my head around if he was clubbing someone over the head with a hammer prior? The whole situation just seems fucked up, and all the guys beating him up should be thrown in jail.

sqwarlock

Could be. Either way, he swung a weapon of some sort at the old guy's head. Don't know if he made contact, but this is not good for him.

1) Him swinging a hammer does not warrant multiple people beating him, knocking him down, and continuing to beat him.
2) Why is he getting arrested when only one, ONE, of the people beating him has had the same happen?

Harris *attempted* to injure someone. Everyone else succeeded in injuring someone. They're out there walking around, proud of beating a black man and getting away with it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dude next to him looks like he was trying to take the old dudes flag and the other guy swung a blackjack at the old guy.

Even if Harris hit him doesn't give the others the right to beat him like they did.

I'm sure other angles and longer videos are out there.

You mean the old neo nazi looks like he is trying to impale the dude next to him with his flag. You can even see the old guy lunging forward.

Not

Banned
1) Him swinging a hammer does not warrant multiple people beating him, knocking him down, and continuing to beat him.
2) Why is he getting arrested when only one, ONE, of the people beating him has had the same happen?

Harris *attempted* to injure someone. Everyone else succeeded in injuring someone. They're out there walking around, proud of beating a black man and getting away with it.

The more people equate that hammer thrust (if thats what it was) to the beating Harris received, the clearer you can witness white supremacy in action.

And none of you Americans are going out and protesting this shit. Just being outraged online.

You don't have any idea what we're doing.

Kite

You mean the old neo nazi looks like he is trying to impale the dude next to him with his flag. You can even see the old guy lunging forward.
Na, when making the gif I looked around for videos of other angles and now my youtube recommendations are all fucked. Anyhow it looks like someone grabbed the old guy's flag, they're tugging back and forth with the old guy obviously loosing, Harris swings something at the old guy's head and old guy seems to jerk his head back enough so it misses.

Takuan

I agree with you on 1. Either way, this footage is bad for him, because it gives racists an excuse in their minds. It's really hard to tell if he actually makes contact with whatever he swung at the guy, but I would imagine if he'd done any real damage the old guy's name would be out there.

I thought two attackers were arrested? Not sure about the other folks, but I'm guessing there isn't video out there that can identify them. I hope they catch every one of them.

Usobuko

Banned
This is what most people, not just PoC in America, most people around the world that aren't white should wake up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom