• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: Final Fantasy VII Remake's Modern Combat Thrills, But Level Design Feels Stuck in the Past.

DonJorginho

Banned
Section of Article extracted from Playstation News Site/Fan forum "PushSquare".

final-fantasy-vii-7-ps4-playstation-4-hands-on-2.original.jpg

Unfortunately, while the release has taken great strides in combat, the level design from the sections we played leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the environments are frighteningly linear, meaning even an extended trip through the city of Midgar feels restricted and one-dimensional. There are small detours you can take, and these are often rewarded with chests harbouring key items and materials, but generally you’re funnelled through the world like you’re riding a roller-coaster. A second Mako Reactor assault is so samey that it feels like the area has been constructed out of the kind of tiles you’d expect to find in a procedurally generated world.

In fact, it’s this mission that left us with some concerns. While the opening is as bombastic as humanly possible, the slick cut-scenes are replaced here for much cheaper, in-game story sequences. To make matters worse, objectives include finding keycards hidden in plain sight, and an embarrassingly anticlimactic side-quest where you must push and pull levers in a weirdly imprecise minigame that grates within seconds. It may not be representative of the final product at all, but we can’t help but wonder why Square Enix opted to showcase it if not.

To be fair, the publisher appears to be pinning everything on the combat, and once you’ve got Aerith and Tifa in your squad, you can really feel the differences between each hero. Aerith sits back and uses magic to both deal damage and buff teammates, while 7th Heaven’s bustiest barmaid utilises some extraordinary martial arts moves to deal devastating damage. It’s chaotic in the same way as Final Fantasy XV, but the addition of tactical elements adds some order to the frenetic fighting unfolding on screen.

Ultimately, we’re both excited and concerned. The combat seems excellent, but will it be enough to carry a largely linear campaign that’s been padded out with some tedious objectives? Square Enix was very specific about the sections that we saw, so maybe it’s saving the most exciting parts for fans to discover on launch day in a couple of months. But why wouldn’t it want to put its best foot forward? Maybe the enormous expectations resting on this remake’s colossal shoulders need to be re-calibrated just a little bit.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ills_but_level_design_feels_stuck_in_the_past

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The people writing these things likely werent even born when FF7 first dropped. Context is lost.
But even beyond that - ill take og FF7 over 99% of these modern games. Where's this gold standard level design of modern games? Open world shit sucks.

DonJorginho

Banned
The people writing these things likely werent even born when FF7 first dropped. Context is lost.
But even beyond that - ill take og FF7 over 99% of these modern games. Where's this gold standard level design of modern games? Open world shit sucks.

I agree wholeheartedly, some of the best games are linear, and their game of the decade in God Of War is one of the most linear titles ever made so I do not get the criticism.

I am hyped that it is just a real thing that is actually coming after all these years, I would hate it to be open world bs so this is much better.

Am gonna play the demo when I am home for sure!

Reactions: Isa
ons we played leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the environments are frighteningly linear, meaning even an extended trip through the city of Midgar feels restricted and one-dimensional. There are small detours you can take, and these are often rewarded with chests harbouring key items and materials, but generally you’re funnelled through the world like you’re riding a roller-coaster.

So, Dark Souls like?

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Ar¢tos

I would take FF9... But in lack of that remake FF7 will have to do...
So, Dark Souls like?
What?
Dark Souls doesn't funnel you in a single direction. Right from the start you can do things in the order you like (Blightown or Parish, or even Catacombs) and after Anor Londo you can pick the order of the 4 bosses you need to kill.
Even level design is not strictly linear, like New Londo connects to Blightown or Valley of the Drakes or Darkroot Basin (that then connects to the Parish allowing you to skip the Burg).

stickkidsam

I just hope it doesn't feel like a massive bunch of featureless hallways... if they are going to be expanding it, ya need to make the journey fun too.

TLZ

Banned
The combat is the biggest issue.
Everything else seems fine.
For someone like me who's big on turn based, I actually found the combat very refreshing and a nice combo of action and turn-based. Feels like a good evolved version of it. I was honestly fearing to be turned off, but I pleasantly wasn't!

Hostile_18

Banned
If websites are to not critical enough people don't like it. If they are too critical people don't like it.

I admire criticism in games journalism, especially if it may risk their access to any said publisher.

Let's not over react and see if more people share this opinion. (It seems quite well balanced tbf).

mcz117chief

I can't stop laughing as I read this thread :D
Final Fantasy XIII = "omg, it's just a corridor! Why is this so linear! Terrible game, abort! ABORT!"
Final Fantasy VII Remake = "it's a corridor? Cool, I like my games linear anyway."

Final Fantasy XIII = "omg, it's just a corridor! Why is this so linear! Terrible game, abort! ABORT!"
Final Fantasy VII Remake = "it's a corridor? Cool, I like my games linear anyway."
Its literally the first dungeon of the entire game, what exactly are you expecting? Of course it's ok to be linear. Whereas the entirety of FFXIII was a single corridor until like, that one area at the end.

mcz117chief

Its literally the first dungeon of the entire game, what exactly are you expecting? Of course it's ok to be linear. Whereas the entirety of FFXIII was a single corridor until like, that one area at the end.
Most Final Fantasy games are just corridors or maze like dungeons. Final Fantasy X is also just a corridor and nobody cared. For some reason though, XIII gets an insane amount of hate for being like most other FF games.

yurinka

Well, at least they left behind the NES-like battle system.

I just played the demo and it's exactly what I expected to be: top notch visuals, modern gameplay, the characters talk, everything feels modern and ok. The level design comment of the article is dumb since it's the intro and tutorial portion of the game. It needs to be linear as it is.

Last edited:

DonF

Seems like an article created just to get clicks. The level design is fine and is kept somwhat simple to evoke the feeling of classic FFVII. It's a remake not a re-imagining.
I believe they remade they world, but reimagined the combat and I'm more than happy with that.

KàIRóS

Most Final Fantasy games are just corridors or maze like dungeons.

No, every FF prior to X has a World Map/Overworld including VII and all those FFs have diferent locations to visit at any time as long as you can travel there which makes them open ended games, XIII didn't have that.

Also this first game in the VII remake project only covers the Midgar arc which is only one location in the World Map/Overworld of the original FFVII

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

I've played every game in the FFXIII trilogy more than once, so I've never had a problem with linear.

mcz117chief

No, every FF prior to X has a World Map/Overworld including VII and all those FFs have diferent locations to visit at any time as long as you can travel there which makes them open ended games, XIII didn't have that.

Also this first game in the VII remake project only covers the Midgar arc which is only one location in the World Map/Overworld of the original FFVII
I get you, I was just making a little fun :)

Aion002

Most Final Fantasy games are just corridors or maze like dungeons. Final Fantasy X is also just a corridor and nobody cared. For some reason though, XIII gets an insane amount of hate for being like most other FF games.
True.

But XIII suffered from a lot of things:

- Games like Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls coming(becoming big) to (in) consoles and showing another side of stuff to some players that didn't know about it (like choices).
- Open world games being the "thing" of last gen.
- New players coming from Xbox, with little knowledge about JRPGs.
- Some fanboys butthurted that the game was not exclusive, skipped Nintendo and some other selfish things.
- Hope, Snow and Vanille.
- Nomura in love with Lightning.

And more....

Can't wait to get home and try the demo!

E.T. Waifu

True.

But XIII suffered from a lot of things:

- Games like Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls coming(becoming big) to (in) consoles and showing another side of stuff to some players that didn't know about it (like choices).
- Open world games being the "thing" of last gen.
- New players coming from Xbox, with little knowledge about JRPGs.
- Some fanboys butthurted that the game was not exclusive, skipped Nintendo and some other selfish things.
- Hope, Snow and Vanille.
- Nomura in love with Lightning.

And more....

Can't wait to get home and try the demo!
lol nono it wasn't Nomura who was in love with Lightning, it's Toriyama.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well yeah, I didn't even play half of FF7 but even I remember that Midgar is super linear. Then you leave and the whole world opens up. Wasn't that the entire point? Get you into the story and characters and then send you off on the main adventure?

Shrap

Square has been so stubborn with flashy visuals and cinematic experiences on top of mediocre gameplay for a long time now so I don't know why I was holding my breath for this one. It was never going to live up to the hype regardless (yet it will still sell like crazy) but it sounds like Square has learned nothing.

But hey, at least the screenshots will look cool. Right, Square?

Thabass

Are they basing this off the demo? Maybe wait until the full game's release to make linear discussions a thing?

Top Bottom