• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: Final Fantasy VII Remake's Modern Combat Thrills, But Level Design Feels Stuck in the Past.

Athreous

He didn't even play the first game, just ignore it lol...

This game is a tribute to the fans lol, and I'm really enjoying what I played in the demo...

trikster40

I loved the demo, gotta have some naysayers out there for da clicks.
react-hooks-deep-dive-usestate-counter.gif

EDMIX

I take linear design of FFVIIRemake over boring open world in FFXV any day.

Well...the original FFVII is still open world, simply that you can't just go anywhere 100% from the start of the game, but tbh you can't even do that in the very beginning of FFXV either...

So I don't know what to say but....did you guys seriously forget FFVII was open world? Cause its sounding like many actually didn't even play those titles in that case.

ff7_overworld.png

latest

Could you believe FFXV? Out here having cars and an airship and letting us fly around an open world, piff... why can't it be like the old Final Fantasies bro? Like...why can't it be more like this? /s

d50vq5o-ca66973e-6cae-45af-81c4-bbb0c70760fe.jpg

So maybe some of you are overreacting and need to actually play those older titles. A title can be "boring" linear too bud, FFXV being "boring" had nothing to do with having an open world with a vehicle as that is the default format for most of the older Final Fantasy titles..

Its linear like this because its also a game being made in stages and the game will open up more like the original Final Fantasy VII.

You tell me when all the parts come out and you have a fucking car, airship etc now it will be boring having transportation and an open world? Soooooo did you forget thats in the original and in FFXV or? So to ask it to not be open world, is to ask it to not even be the original title in regards to its actual layout and format.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well...the original FFVII is still open world, simply that you can't just go anywhere 100% from the start of the game, but tbh you can't even do that in the very beginning of FFXV either...

So I don't know what to say but....did you guys seriously forget FFVII was open world? Cause its sounding like many actually didn't even play those titles in that case.

ff7_overworld.png

latest
isn't that overworld rather than "open world"? Its same thing you see in game like Tale of Vasperia, but I dont think it makes the game "open world"

k5eqpu3a8au11.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

ff7_overworld.png

latest

Could you believe FFXV? Out here having cars and an airship and letting us fly around an open world, piff... why can't it be like the old Final Fantasies bro? Like...why can't it be more like this? /s

d50vq5o-ca66973e-6cae-45af-81c4-bbb0c70760fe.jpg

So maybe some of you are overreacting and need to actually play those older titles. A title can be "boring" linear too bud, FFXV being "boring" had nothing to do with having an open world with a vehicle as that is the default format for most of the older Final Fantasy titles..

Its linear like this because its also a game being made in stages and the game will open up more like the original Final Fantasy VII.

You tell me when all the parts come out and you have a fucking car, airship etc now it will be boring having transportation and an open world? Soooooo did you forget thats in the original and in FFXV or? So to ask it to not be open world, is to ask it to not even be the original title in regards to its actual layout and format.

Overworld != Open World. Don't mistake the two.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am gonna agree to disagree with you:

DA and Elder, from what I remeber, at the time in forums, were always pointed by people who hated FF, saying that it was stucked in the past.

I disagree with your points about FFXIII, for me it is a good game. The battle system is fun and the world is pretty and interesting, not even once I got annoyed by the lack of exploration. Heck I finished twice, got the Plat on PS3 and later finished on PC.

The story for me was fine. Convoluted? Sure. But fine, way better than the mess that it is FFXV for instance and more fun than XII. Who plays a Jrpg and don't read the stuff in game? For me a FF is 50% story then the rest, whatever %. So yeah, if you dislike reading files in game, FFXIII might not be for you....

About the Xbox and fans.... oh there was so many wars about it... everywhere, gamefaqs was a warzone at the time. Good times.

And yes, E.T. Waifu already corrected me. My bad.

You are mistaking small vocal minorities as widespread/majority. GameFaqs cries about everything. There were very few "wars". It was the same handful of mentally inept children utilizing alt accounts to try to make it seem bigger than it really was. Isolated echo chambers like GameFAQs are hardly good places to point towards. That is akin to pointing at Era and saying most gamers don't like boobs in video games.

You are again mistaken on the "stuck in the past" bit. That was entirely referencing the linear hallway nature of the game. You are in the minority of thinking XIII was a good game.

If the majority of your writing is stuck in text hidden in a menu instead of being naturally told through the game itself, you failed as a writer. FFXIII is that game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
isn't that overworld rather than "open world"? Its same thing you see in game like Tale of Vasperia, but I dont think it makes the game "open world"

k5eqpu3a8au11.jpg
Overworld / open world.
It is something i am looking forward to in FFR part 2 i guess..
If part 1 is really super linear i am not sure i want in.

i think overworlds are a vital part in JRPGS for me.
DQ11
NI NO KUNI
most snes jrpg's

Sygma

I didn't last more than 20 mins in the demo due to how incredibly shitty it was. Combat had no weight, it was all a boring corridor and the sound in particular was also trash. Only good parts of the demo are the GFX and the music

Stuart360

I dont understand what they have been doing for so many years. I mean even if this was the full remake, it would of been a ridiculous length of development time, but the remake isnt even the full game is it?, its just the city part.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Was Midgard in FFVII somehow meant to be a sandbox open world? Most FF games are generally super linear, maybe with some fun optional stuff in the overworld. I guess VII had a decent chunk of side content with Yuffee etc. but overall still a fully linear adventure beelining from location to location in a particular order as progress will be blocked if you try to move past where the story wants you to be much like almost every JRPG in the world. Is it actually separated in levels or this guy can't even write properly and go with something like environment or area design instead? Is every non-sandbox game outdated? DMC, RE, Half-Life, Halo, TLOU, Dragon Quest, Doom, we can't have games like that any more because they're relics with nothing to offer compared to more Ubisoft open worlds?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh no. A demo that is about an early part of the original game, a part which was also very linear, IS LINEAR HERE!

WORST GAME 0/10 FUCK SQUEENIX /s

MagnesG

Banned
The camera setup pretty much reminded me of the tight corridors in FXII, I think that's more concerning than linear level designs. Though I'm already more thankful the game would actually release soon!

DaMonsta

I still wish they would have made more of a remaster, than a reimagining.

Call me old, but seems this won’t be much of a FF7 game.

A lot of the things I loved about the original seem to be gone, and been replaced by the next generic “cinematic” game.

Shame

Aion002

You are mistaking small vocal minorities as widespread/majority. GameFaqs cries about everything. There were very few "wars". It was the same handful of mentally inept children utilizing alt accounts to try to make it seem bigger than it really was. Isolated echo chambers like GameFAQs are hardly good places to point towards. That is akin to pointing at Era and saying most gamers don't like boobs in video games.

You are again mistaken on the "stuck in the past" bit. That was entirely referencing the linear hallway nature of the game. You are in the minority of thinking XIII was a good game.

If the majority of your writing is stuck in text hidden in a menu instead of being naturally told through the game itself, you failed as a writer. FFXIII is that game.

I am just saying that I like the game.

But, you are right, I am referencing forum wars.... Since that's what my point was..... if we are talking about the mass market..... well, FFXIII was success: 83 on metacritic, on launch it sold 1.7 million units on Ps3, the last data from S-E they said that the triology was a success selling more than 11 million units, yes Lightning Returns sold less.... but after you milk the same game 2 times.... and make a low budget third one.... well, it was expected.... still a good game in my book.

Yeah, I agree that some internet dwellers do complain about FFXIII.... But ehhh... The game is far from being a failure as the say so.

In every single collaboration that includes FF, there it is Lightning at the center, if XIII was a failure she wouldn't be there.

And, again, agree to disagree, you don't need to read a lot of files in XIII to get a grip about the story.... unless you are not paying attention. However, the files do expand the lore.

Anyway... this is getting too off-topic. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I’m not liking how crammed it feels during fights. Like using Barret for the first time was a horrible impression. Couldn’t barely see what the fuck I was shooting at. The camera should be pulled back a bit with more spacious level design. Not sure why they remade familiar areas much more smaller when this game could use the extra space IMO

MrMephistoX

I disagree with the article I love that it balances all that out. I miss old school level design lol that said it’s kind of unfair to assume it’s all going to be linear...the original opened up after like 2-3 hours for fucks sake.

Fbh

To be fair the original wasn't very "open" either (an overworld you can use to go to a bunch of mostly small-ish and linear areas doesn't make it an "open" game). And I sure as hell am glad it wasn't turned into another boring open world game, specially after FFXV.

But I do hope the level design during later parts of the game gets more complex than in the demo.

I dont understand what they have been doing for so many years. I mean even if this was the full remake, it would of been a ridiculous length of development time, but the remake isnt even the full game is it?, its just the city part.

It's not a full story, but it's supposed to be a full game.
According to Square it will have content comparable to mainline FF entry

Last edited:

FranXico

I can't stop laughing as I read this thread :D
Final Fantasy XIII = "omg, it's just a corridor! Why is this so linear! Terrible game, abort! ABORT!"
Final Fantasy VII Remake = "it's a corridor? Cool, I like my games linear anyway."
XIII came out at the peak of the open world trend. Nowadays, people have grown tired of it already.

Ogbert

There's an element of truth to this. The design does feel dated, but then it's a remake of a dated game. I also do think the repetitive scenery is another valid criticism, but it looks beautiful.

I enjoyed it.

Thaedolus

Was Midgard in FFVII somehow meant to be a sandbox open world? Most FF games are generally super linear, maybe with some fun optional stuff in the overworld. I guess VII had a decent chunk of side content with Yuffee etc. but overall still a fully linear adventure beelining from location to location in a particular order as progress will be blocked if you try to move past where the story wants you to be much like almost every JRPG in the world. Is it actually separated in levels or this guy can't even write properly and go with something like environment or area design instead? Is every non-sandbox game outdated? DMC, RE, Half-Life, Halo, TLOU, Dragon Quest, Doom, we can't have games like that any more because they're relics with nothing to offer compared to more Ubisoft open worlds?

FF games are usually pretty linear until the endgame. VII in particular doesn’t offer a lot to do outside the main quest until you get cloud back again in disc 2...I never really minded how linear X was, XIII was just difficult to keep playing because the plot was nonsense and the characters were garbage.

The demo I played matched the demo I played on played on PlayStation about 22 years ago. It did what it needed to do: gave me a taste of the gameplay and cinematically and got me excited for FF again. Even on my base PS4 it looked and sounded and played great. Can’t wait!

GHG

I'd have likely had similar sentiments had I not played Shenmue 3.

Shenmue 3 is a new game in the series, this is a remake. There's a big difference.

I'm not expecting anything that plays hugely different to the original game and that's not what I want to be honest. However if final fantasy 16 comes along and they don’t attempt to innovate then that's a whole different discussion.

qfkSFjT.png

What a joke.

Can guarantee this was made for journalists and nu-age gamers in mind first and foremost, thats why theres no Hard difficulty (and the argument if possibly of needing to play the game entirely before unlocking a hard mode is an insult to people who've played the series before). The same people who'll defend this will be the same group who get pissy at the thought of Dark Souls being made easier.

Cant wait to see how theyve butchered the materia system.

I played FF games for the strategy and the ability to form a battle plan/plan my next move. Not participate in some spastic new-gen hack and slash aimed at the short attention spanned of which there is already a million games like that to choose from. More dumb-ing down of gaming.

Whats the point of remaking a game when its the fan of the original whove been calling for it since the ps2/3 only to then change one of the most important part of what made FF series so great?

Utterly disappointed right now.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

but no one was expecting this title to rival The Last of Us: Part II in the storytelling stakes

no doubt TLOU2 had advantages in storytelling, but seriously did the writer compared 1 part of FFVII Remake to whole game of TLOU2?

with only part 1, i doubt much can be squeezed of the storyline since it just midgar section..what left is focused on gameplay aspect. Makesense square to give focused on combat. They even got MHW combat designer in the team ( if not the same person ). It just midgar though...in original game, midgar basically just like a prologue.

Last edited:
well, FFXIII was success: 83 on metacritic, on launch it sold 1.7 million units on Ps3,

If were using Metacritic as a bench (which no one should), then Death Stranding sitting at 82 is also representative of the majority despite the user score?

no doubt TLOU2 had advantages in storytelling, but seriously did the writer compared 1 part of FFVII Remake to whole game of TLOU2?

with only part 1, i doubt much can be squeezed of the storyline since it just midgar section..what left is focused on gameplay aspect. Makesense square to give focused on combat. They even got MHW combat designer in the team ( if not the same person ). It just midgar though...in original game, midgar basically just like a prologue.

Yeah, are we seriously pretending like TLOU has great writing to begin with? Its competent at best.

Look at this silly real time combat nonsense:

Theyve taken the charm out the art design of the original. Every room is just generic factory.map but with either a green or orange piss filter applied.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

FF games are usually pretty linear until the endgame. VII in particular doesn’t offer a lot to do outside the main quest until you get cloud back again in disc 2...I never really minded how linear X was, XIII was just difficult to keep playing because the plot was nonsense and the characters were garbage.

The demo I played matched the demo I played on played on PlayStation about 22 years ago. It did what it needed to do: gave me a taste of the gameplay and cinematically and got me excited for FF again. Even on my base PS4 it looked and sounded and played great. Can’t wait!
The difference is even though the story progression is linear, you felt a sense of exploration in finding out where to go. In the OG game Midgar was semi-open world in that you had to figure out where to go and when. It wasn’t just funneling you through corridors to push the story forward like FF13.

Aion002

If were using Metacritic as a bench (which no one should), then Death Stranding sitting at 82 is also representative of the majority despite the user score?

Yeah, are we seriously pretending like TLOU has great writing to begin with? Its competent at best.

Look at this silly real time combat nonsense:

Theyve taken the charm out the art design of the original. Every room is just generic factory.map but with either a green or orange piss filter applied.

82 for me is a good score and Death Stranding is amazing in my opinion, if I could pick a score it would be something like 94. So yeah. I am fine with 82....

Now user scores.... that's whole other can worms.... that I honestly don't pay attention.

Also, joining in: TLOU has an amazing story and the FFVII combat is fun, the demo is amazing and after seeing a couple of your posts, I believe that we have different tastes... And that's fine... There is nothing right or wrong in liking or disliking a game.... but you really try hard to shit on PS game eh? Just saying....

Yeah... I honestly don't know if you are just trolling or not. Have fun!

You said it yourself, people can have different tastes..

I believe that we have different tastes... And that's fine... There is nothing right or wrong in liking or disliking a game...

This remake has lost is artistic charm, its struggling to keep above 720p on base ps4 and its only 30fps... in an action/hack and slash game (30 wouldn't be a problem if it was standard FF combat system).

I said it in another thread...27 years...27, and this it.

Last edited:
The original game was pretty linear in its design, outside the world map obviously.

I would try to judge the game by how they implemented the linearity of some portions (is Midgard supposed to be a maze?) How deep are the dead ends in the dungeons? ... the dead ends were never very far to begin with.

In a pure action game I would care more about the openness of the environments, like in TLoU and other games of this type... but yeah, Midgar wasn't very open ended to begin with, especially if you consider how the layout translates to third person.

Can guarantee this was made for journalists and nu-age gamers in mind first and foremost, thats why theres no Hard difficulty (and the argument if possibly of needing to play the game entirely before unlocking a hard mode is an insult to people who've played the series before). The same people who'll defend this will be the same group who get pissy at the thought of Dark Souls being made easier.
I'm not sure what there is to defend or be annoyed about - however I would have preferred it if there was a normal difficulty with the turn based option.

Top Bottom