• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 8 |OT| of Burnout done right in your pocket

jim2011

It's not a money issue but a space issue, is the game better than Need For Speed Most Wanted for iOS? They're both huge games and I only have space for one.

8? There have already been 7 previous iterations???

They been coming out since flip phones ;)

its crazy how much better they've gotten, visually.

asphalt urban gt

asphalt-urban-gt-20041119052228326.jpg

asphalt 4

asphalt1.PNG

asphalt 8

BSU4fGSIAAAtJwr.png:large

AsphaltVisualHistory.jpg

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Title is a lie, doesn't even play like Burnout except the terrible version of takedowns. Plays more like the old Rush arcade games.

If I want a Burnout done right in the palm of my hands then I just go play Burnout Legends on PSP :p.

Just saying.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just bought this for my original Nexus 7. It's really good, and a hell of a game for a dollar! I have it on low graphics, though, and it STILL gets choppy. The game recommended "Medium" but it looked like it was running about 20fps. Pretty good, though!

Threi

notag
Ran at about 20-25 fps on my N7 FHD with graphics on high. The first track reminded me a LOT of the track in NFS Hot Pursuit 2010.

Ninja Dom

iPad 4 will run it the best of all iOS devices. I haven't tested it on iPad 4 as I've only got iPad 3.

On an iPhone 5 (what I play it on) though I think it has all the effects but frame rate can get choppy.

DonMigs85

Sadly it's not supported on my LG Optimus LU6200 but it DOES support my lower-end MTK6577 phone with 1GB memory. Does the game have a RAM requirement or something for Android?

kudoboi

It's pretty laggy on max settings on HTC one. Had to downgrade to medium. Hopefully it gets optimized better in the upcoming updates

kinda wish ios version had visual settings. it looks great on iphone 5, but framerate... yeek.

I really wish the shortcuts weren't soo OP. You really have to stick around in 2nd and 3rd while learning a track from the ai's...

otherwise you can be winning, then all of sudden you are in 4th place and behind 30 seconds.

chris121580

This is easily one of the best iOS games I've ever played. Gameloft may just end up back in my good graces after all. So incredibly fun and gorgeous

I owned the first game on my Nokia 7610, was the first phone game I played outside of a friends copy of snake, as it was the first mobile phone I owned with a good processor and screen for it's time, 100% it too.

the frame rate dip bit running on the galaxy s4 on max settings

iPhone 5 has some moments too, i'd put it down to the game engine more then raw power, for example nova 3 still runs like a turd on the iphone 5 when it was sort of designed for the 4S at the time, i'd go as far as to say the iPhone 5S will still have frame rate hickups too with this game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
They really nailed this game! I wish it ran a bit better, but it really helps cement mobile devices as gaming platforms.

Anywhere else you'd be paying at least $40 for this game.

Kiraly

I hate the Play store for not even allowing to install apps if it's not in the list the publisher sets.

I have a device with an Adreno 305, which should the very least run it, but I can't download it.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
This game is pretty great, definitely an upgrade over the previous three games :p Is Gameloft suddenly not a shovelware factory?

Also I'm pleasantly surprised to see this running on my Xperia P!

Haha, this made me chuckle. Glad you're enjoying it. We're happy with the positive response A8 has gotten! Hope you all continue to enjoy it :)

DonMigs85

Please check if you can have the LG Optimus LU6200 added to the supported list.
Asphalt 7 was supported on my phone

picked this up for the New N7. never really played a racer so i was trying out the tilt controls which works fine if i set the sensitivity to 85%. i think i need to go higher but its better than 50%. immersive view is good.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I really don't like having extra graphical effects at the cost of choppy frame rate. I especially want driving games to have a minimum of locked 30 fps.

RM8

Haha, this made me chuckle. Glad you're enjoying it. We're happy with the positive response A8 has gotten! Hope you all continue to enjoy it :)
I didn't mean to be rude :p I have indeed played aggressively bad Gameloft stuff in the past, but as you can see I don't hold any "grudge" and I buy their games if they appeal to me. And you bet I'm enjoying Asphalt 8!

BTW please know that I'm super sad that I can't buy Asphalt 5 on Android :( I'd love having 5 to 8 on my phone.

GoDLiKe

Game looks insanely good even on my iPad 2. Best arcade racing on App Store / Google Play and a great evolution over A7.

A little puzzled by how multiplayer pairs you up with players, it does not seem to be random as you usually get put among others of a similar car rank as yours but at the same time it can vary by a few hundred, meaning the person in the car in the next class up will win hands down, easily.

It would be alright if the lobby only grabbed people of the same car class as yourself such as C, B A and so forth, but right now it's mixed and just comes down to who has a higher rank car over skill.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Can I recover an iPhone save for the Win8 version of Asphalt 7, or is that Windows Phone only?

EDIT: I downloaded the iOS version tonight. It runs fine on my 4S, but I will upgrade to a 5S if there's a 128 GB version coming out.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Hey GAF, just wanted to let you all know that there is a promo going on this weekend and this weekend only for Asphalt 8: From Friday, today, until Monday, you can get A8 for free instead of the usual $0.99!

If price was holding you back, definitely hop on it now and check out the game if you're interested!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just got the game with the "free dl" promo. Will post impressions on iPad Mini, mechanics and gameplay seem incredibly tight, color me surpri... nay, SHOCKED that this is a Gameloftv

Wonko_C

Gave it a spin on my iPhone 4 and as expected, performance is worse than what it was in A7 and it borders on unplayable (but if I could play Stunt Race FX as a kid back then, sure I can manage this). It looks much better, though. Makes it more tempting to upgrade to an iPhone 5S as soon as I can.

Faddy

Banned
No, it looks to be sub-retina on my The New iPad.

I'm really impressed with the track design in this thing. All the shortcuts makes this feel like San Francisco Rush.

I have just got this game and have put a couple of hours into it. I like the track design but there are no maps which makes playing unfamiliar tracks a crap shoot until you get the right route around the track. It is frustrating being in the lead then taking the wrong turn and then being well behind through only ignorance.

I have just got this game and have put a couple of hours into it. I like the track design but there are no maps which makes playing unfamiliar tracks a crap shoot until you get the right route around the track. It is frustrating being in the lead then taking the wrong turn and then being well behind through only ignorance.

It would be nice if some routes worked better, you can get some really out of the way roads which you never want to touch just because they are too long, they should at least give you more nitro or some kind of cash reward for using them.

Wonko_C

don't know. found most asphalt to be quite dull but 8 is quite good. and it's a buck. Can't hurt to try.

Agreed. I think I've only liked Asphalt 1 on DS and Asphalt 8. I have Asphalt 3 and 4 on my old Sony Ericcson W200 but Top Gear on SNES beats them easily.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Asphalt 8 is finally out for PC - Windows 8 only, which I upgraded to just for this. After doing some research, I installed Windows 8 on a new partition on my HDD. Considering the game is only $1.99, it helped justify the cost of buying Windows 8. So I'm only out $101.98 + tax in the end. Some may think this is a bit expensive, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who spend more than this on special editions and DLC for games. I'm pretty picky when it comes to games though, sometimes I have to take drastic measures like this to meet all of my criteria.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I did try it on iPod before upgrading and I'm glad I did. The game supports the 360 controller, so controls aren't a problem. I'm just scratching the surface on it, but the game is a lot of fun and looks to have a lot of replay value. It's rare that a game will drive me to the lengths of buying a system/upgrading an OS, so Gameloft obviously did something right. It might not be a game for everyone, but considering how rare games like this are now, it was more than worth it for me - especially since I'm finding other arcade racers on the Windows 8 store as well. The game isn't perfect, but it's a ton of fun. Hopefully Gameloft continues to make these types of games.

DonMigs85

Asphalt 8 is finally out for PC - Windows 8 only, which I upgraded to just for this. After doing some research, I installed Windows 8 on a new partition on my HDD. Considering the game is only $1.99, it helped justify the cost of buying Windows 8. So I'm only out $101.98 + tax in the end. Some may think this is a bit expensive, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who spend more than this on special editions and DLC for games. I'm pretty picky when it comes to games though, sometimes I have to take drastic measures like this to meet all of my criteria.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I did try it on iPod before upgrading and I'm glad I did. The game supports the 360 controller, so controls aren't a problem. I'm just scratching the surface on it, but the game is a lot of fun and looks to have a lot of replay value. It's rare that a game will drive me to the lengths of buying a system/upgrading an OS, so Gameloft obviously did something right. It might not be a game for everyone, but considering how rare games like this are now, it was more than worth it for me - especially since I'm finding other arcade racers on the Windows 8 store as well. The game isn't perfect, but it's a ton of fun. Hopefully Gameloft continues to make these types of games.

It's actually fun to play otherwise mobile-only games on Windows 8. Try Riptide GP, Six Guns, and Reckless Racing. There's also some XBLA ports like Hydro Thunder Hurricane and ilomilo.

I've been playing the Win 8 version. Pretty fun and runs beautifully on the Surface Pro. Some of the visuals the game is pulling off are really great. Love the Monaco and Iceland tracks. Fantastic car models, good sound and music.

Shocked it isn't an "Xbox" title. Someone somewhere didn't convince Gameloft it seems.

Rolodzeo

Quite a bump, but I grabbed this yesterday for free on the Windows 8 Store/Market/Whatever and I've been playing it for hours. Haven't got this fun since the days of Burnout 3 and Forza 2. I can honestly say that I didn't expect this game to be this good.

Wonko_C

Quite a bump, but I grabbed this yesterday for free on the Windows 8 Store/Market/Whatever and I've been playing it for hours. Haven't got this fun since the days of Burnout 3 and Forza 2. I can honestly say that I didn't expect this game to be this good.

Thanks for the heads-up! I didn't expect the W8 version to become free, I can finally delete it from my iPhone 4 and enjoy the game at an actually playable framerate.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I love how they're adding new cars, with the Ferrari F430 and LaFerrari, and the Lamborghini Gallardo and Pagani Huayra coming soon.

If you have not played Asphalt 8 for a long time there is a bunch of new features and cars/track available now for free, There is also twitch streaming for people on 5S and iPad Air's & mini 2's if you wanted to show your stuff off on twitch.tv

Still one of the best arcade style racing games to ever come out in the last few years, I really want to play the windows 8 version some day.

GT Racing 2 is also pretty good and looks better than Real Racing 3 IMO, hopefully it comes to Windows soon too

GT Racing 2 is a terrible game, all the rear wheel drive cars are slippery while the FWD cars are go-karts and faster overall, i've bought this up with gameloft multiple times but they have done nothing about it. One thing they did change at least was bumping off walls to keep speed in corners.

Top Bottom