• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Leaker calls out to Neogaf/provides clarification on graphics

That's Twitter/facebook compression. Actual stills grabbed from USB will look great. And Twitter images have more obvious compression--I'm quite confident compression is not the primary problem in those images. Compression artifacts are very tell-tale and mess up colors, they don't just blurr the entire image evenly and cleanly.

Did he use that method with Unity?

Infamous:SS, TLoU:R and Shadow of Mordor don't alter the shots in any way when they are taken in photo-mode. There are no extra affects added, like better AA for example.

That's the point I'm trying to make. The poster who I'm replying to says that the PS4's screenshot ability (when you press the share button, not the in-game photo mode) doesn't alter the photos that bad. I'm saying it does.

ShinMaruku

Perhaps I should clarify. I have no real problem with a discussion around resolution, visual effects and the technical side of games. I find a lot of that stuff really interesting and I think it's healthy for the industry to talk about and question that kind of stuff because, in my opinion, it will only make games better.

That said, the whole resolutiongate and parity stuff just seems to completely consume some people, to the level of comical ridiculousness. It's like they feed off it. It's that aspect that is incredibly strange to me and more of what I meant when I'm said I'm glad I don't give a shit.

The narrative over the past year and a half or so has shifted dramatically and I don't see anything good that can come from it.

Perhaps the nuttiness will come with a good outcome of Publishers knowing how to market things, consumers being a bit more savvy and the like. Part of the reason why the narritive has gone so bad is because of ubisoft and other developers putting their foot in their mouths. Like "We want games to be filmic and 30 fps is best" If they can't cut the mustard then don't say anything, they stirred the pot and now it's burning them. I think part of this reaction is a positive thing if the people on all side learn from it.

That is not entirely true. If you share it via twitter or facebook the compression is terrible.
Why would you do that? Copy it to a usb stick. They won't be uncompresed images but still far better than those services that compress it to hell and back.

I stopped posting in the thread yesterday as soon as I realised the photos were taken from the PS4 photo mode. Everything looks like shit from that thing. Predictably, everyone else in there willfully ignored that little piece of information.

This is why AC4 screens taken the same way look just as bad.

Oh wait ...

Blasphemy.

People won't wait until the finalised version of the game is out, it is more fun to come to a forum and be an idiot about it.

Just to clarify, if I buy the game and the so called downgrade is true, I'll gladly grab a pitchfork and join you, for now, I'll just wait.

Where did I show that I'm up at arms with a pitchfork over this? I don't care either way since I had no intention on purchasing this game. I just pointed out that not all PS4 screenshots, while compressed, don't look completely terrible.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Compression (within reason) doesn't blur the shit out the image. The leaked pics are 91% JPEG quality. Not amazing, but it's not going to destroy the images.

Here's some AC4 shots compressed to 91% (the same as those leaked screens)
100%
iR4jlBF9MUZ7w.jpg

91%
isTacN4tM6GTz.jpg

50% *you see lots of artifacts, but no blur-o-vision
irME9hhN7gtSH.jpg
100%
i3m1ox62fqukt.jpg

91%
iogkHujH7Un3X.jpg

50%
iIurhI213E4Fm.jpg

100%
iNrjpTUClXWei.jpg

91%
ibuwTru8Y20dxv.jpg

50%
ibrcAckDSMhGBX.jpg

You don't get this
ACUnity-PS4-Leaked-3.jpg

Why would you do that? Copy it to a usb stick. They won't be uncompresed images but still far better than those services that compress it to hell and back.

I know but there are times where I am lazy and just want to post an awesome gaming moment that I encountered.

Thus my question if the guy who posted those screenshots used the same USB method or not. It would explain a few things.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The contempt against the "leaker" in this thread ("damage control" "it's a Ubi dev lol") is absurd.
Exactly, it really feels like some are mad at the leaker for speaking up. And he sounds very unbiased even though he's obviously enjoying the game, even pointing out that the game does not look as good as the PC version shown at shows.

if he really wanted to show us how good the game looked take some screenshots and video, load then onto a usb drive and then post them online. easy enough

As simple as that. Blaming the share function is just making the whole thing a lot more suspicious to me than anything else.

ethomaz

Banned
Did he use that method with Unity?
I guess so because the pics are not published on Twitter or Facebook.

The only other way is USB or message that looks way better in quality.

It is not the PS4 share that do shit compression... it is Twitter and Facebook.

DOWN

Banned
This is why AC4 screens taken the same way look just as bad.

Oh wait ...
No way that you seriously think Unity looks worse than 4 just based on some dubious. Less crisp on my monitor? Yes. But actually overall worse? Nah. That's a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

Ateron

Blasphemy.

People won't wait until the finalised version of the game is out, it is more fun to come to a forum and be an idiot about it.

Just to clarify, if I buy the game and the so called downgrade is true, I'll gladly grab a pitchfork and join you, for now, I'll just wait.

Meanwhile they would have gotten your money already, so that will really hurt them.
Maybe this is the sort of thing they need to get their shit together, maybe try to push for a 1080p patch, tweak the game, reduce the npc density, who knows. There seems to be a lot of fluff going on and I'm still waiting to see the fabled npc improved AI, they seem as dumb as ever from the videos shown. There's just more of them.

I know but there are times where I am lazy and just want to post an awesome gaming moment that I encountered.

Thus my question if the guy who posted those screenshots used the same USB method or not. It would explain a few things.

Apparently he didn't use the USB method but I'm not sure if that's for screenshots too or just gameplay videos.

He uploaded the gameplay directly to facebook so it can be assumed that he didn't use the USB method.

Video uploads directly from ps4 are definitely a mess, screenshots less so.

You fail to see the point in the leaker clarifying instead of leaving people to kneejerk reactions? It's not Ubisoft clarifying this, it's the leaker himself. But no no the leaker should "just get over it."

DeviantBoi

I will buy this game... because it is an AC game set in France during the French Revolution.

But I will not pay full price at launch because of the parity/resolution issue. I will wait until it is dirt cheap to buy it.

Compression (within reason) doesn't blur the shit out the image. The leaked pics are 91% JPEG quality. Not amazing, but it's not going to destroy the images.

You don't get this
ACUnity-PS4-Leaked-3.jpg

Okay but even then, why in heaven's fuck would a game look like that? Just general bluriness can't be caused by the resolution since even 720p screens look sharper than those. There isn't a single game I can think of that is just "blurry" due to technical reasons. What kind of criticism are people trying to make here?

King_Moc

Banned
That's kind of what BF4 looks like on consoles though.

It doesn't look anywhere near that bad when you're playing it, nor will AC4. The photo mode must be doing some terrible upscaling to those photo's, as they come out looking like they're from a youtube video.

Leeness

Most of GAF is legit psychotic when it comes to Ubisoft. Like...high levels of insanity in here and the other topic. It's honestly mind boggling.

I think the game looks great, some think it doesn't. That's really...all that needs to be said. Instead there is "NEVER FORGIVE UBI NEVER FORGET THESE CRIMES AGAINST GAMING YOU HAVE COMMITTED" (more of this in the last topic, at least).

Maybe y'all should take a step back and gain a little perspective.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

You don't get this
ACUnity-PS4-Leaked-3.jpg

This guy is amazing.

New PS4 screenshots from another french guy

https://imgur.com/a/00Z3d

FXNUKce.jpg

acivnz7.jpg

0sUqTNR.jpg

I like how he changed his name to "Don't worry, be happy :)" as if those screenshots look better haha. It's the same blurry ass shit. The IQ in this game is just fucking terrible.

Ateron

Okay but even then, why in heaven's fuck would a game look like that? Just general bluriness can't be caused by the resolution since even 720p screens look sharper than those. There isn't a single game I can think of that is just "blurry" due to technical reasons. What kind of criticism are people trying to make here?

Maybe the leaker is a disgruntled Ubi employee. He forced his ps4 to output 720, then proceeded to share the screenshots while adding a blur effect through photoshop.

I might be crazy but Watch Dogs, while being 900p didn't look as bad as this in captured screenshots. Neither did Black Flag pre patch.

Most of GAF is legit psychotic when it comes to Ubisoft. Like...high levels of insanity in here and the other topic. It's honestly mind boggling.

I think the game looks great, some think it doesn't. That's really...all that needs to be said. Instead there is "NEVER FORGIVE UBI NEVER FORGET THESE CRIMES AGAINST GAMING YOU HAVE COMMITTED" (more of this in the last topic, at least).

Maybe that might have something to do with the fact that these guys are compulsive liars and the new kings of bullshotting bs. They're always trying to mislead the consumers in every way possible and people are starting to get fed up with their practices. They keep trying to bite more than they can chew and thus, disappointing everyone. If you can't reach a certain target, try something more modest instead of pretending the game will run like that. It has been like this since forever. Every time they demoed an AC title on ps3 ti seemed they had gotten rid of most bugs/fps problems, but when I played them they kept getting worse. That AC3 demo, and their claim that the "new" engine allowed them to have those kind of graphics with performance hiccups was the last straw. Everything run smoothly in the demo, but in the retail version the game runs like complete and utter dogshit. They're liars, that's all. They kept talking smack about other games (mordor being one) for not having "next gen graphics" and then they pull this shit off? I don't care how many bland npcs you can stuff on screen. I care about how well this looks AND performs (my biggest reservation is and will always be the fps).
There's plenty of perspective there.

K' Dash

Meanwhile they would have gotten your money already, so that will really hurt them.
Maybe this is the sort of thing they need to get their shit together, maybe try to push for a 1080p patch, tweak the game, reduce the npc density, who knows. There seems to be a lot of fluff going on and I'm still waiting to see the fabled npc improved AI, they seem as dumb as ever from the videos shown. There's just more of them.

I don't mind, I prefer to have some hard evidence if there is a downgrade, people shat on WD for months, then the PS4 version came out and it looked really good, then I got the PC version for free, with a few tweaks I can say it looks impressive for a cross gen game.

I just don't buy the conspiracy theories, I'm sure the game will look beautiful.

I think the game looks great, some think it doesn't. That's really...all that needs to be said. Instead there is "NEVER FORGIVE UBI NEVER FORGET THESE CRIMES AGAINST GAMING YOU HAVE COMMITTED AAAHHHHDJJQDNDKWK"

Yes, that is what people who are upset with Ubisoft are like. Just like that.

I could say the same about corporate apologists on GAF, take a step back and get their heads out of corporation's (like Ubisoft) asses.

K' Dash

This game so far in shots has a beautiful style but it feels like I forgot to wear glasses when I looked. GTA V has that problem on last gen.

it is the AA solution, I have high hopes that can be patched day 1.

I could say the same about corporate apologists on GAF, take a step back and get their heads out of corporation's (like Ubisoft) asses.

Wow, take it easy cowboy.

woen

I like how he changed his name to "Don't worry, be happy :)" as if those screenshots look better haha. It's the same blurry ass shit. The IQ in this game is just fucking terrible.

Well I can understand that he doesn't want to share his PSN ID to the world.

Bl@de

Wait ... Those really were direct captures? Good lord ... That is just terrible. I thought that were video captures from youtube

Is it actually possible to release a day 1 patch that eliminates the blur?

I doubt that only means upping the resolution to 1080p, right? Is this really just a resolution thing?

Leeness

I enjoy their games. Strange that...some people...like different things :O

Yes, that is what people who are upset with Ubisoft are like. Just like that.

Sorry, but 50 pages of overblown hate against a game that hasn't even been released is hilarious. Like...it's insane.

Kaswa101

This is just sad now. Some people are just never satisfied imo. Game looks fine imo, and will probably be way better on screen and in motion.

ShinMaruku

If ubisoft was sane they shut up and then watch most of the bitchers buy the game. This is just 70 drama for drama's sake the rest could be legitimate but let's be real most are gonna buy the game. I got no faith in consumers to have a principle and stand on it. So let the drama pass.

spwolf

well even the pics above dont look good... it is still blury and textures/lighting/shadows are pretty poor. And I am not usually stuck on these things either, it is just not impressive at all.

Top Bottom