• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Leaker calls out to Neogaf/provides clarification on graphics

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I get the complaints about the IQ. It is very blurry.

Complaints about the graphics in general? Beyond the fact that the crowds have some slightly jarring graphical bugs, I genuinely don't understand how someone could think that the game is ugly.

Like, f'real, this is supposed to be a bad character model? Are you people being serious or is there some joke I haven't been let it on?

84lRUBB.jpg

pottuvoi

Banned
Really hope the blurriness is from slightly wider reconstruction filter as it would mean a reasonably stable image quality in moving image.

Ubisoft has plenty of really talented people, I'm sure they know the tradeoffs in graphics.
IMHO, stable image is more important than small details, if it's possible to do the choice.

eso76

Doesn't alter the fact that Assassin's Creed: Black Flag still looks better in screenshots.

if you only care about iq when watching screengrabs on your pc monitor maybe.
if you guys can't even see how ACU graphics are a substantial evolution over past AC's then this is hopeless.

Valnen

Mordor has next gen system and gameplay, but not graphics like Unity does.

The funny thing is that gif looks prettier than anything we've seen of these leaked screenshots.

The facial and character animation alone in Unity looks better. Come on now.

Who cares if the animation is better if the entire scene is blurry as hell, image quality overall is shit, and they got rid of a lot of the lighting/reflections that they showed off at the game's reveal?

One thing he says that is absolutely true is:

"It is limited by a 400 euros hardware"

If you really care that much about graphical power, then consoles aren't exactly the way to go.

Complaints about the graphics in general? Beyond the fact that the crowds have some slightly jarring graphical bugs, I genuinely don't understand how someone could think that the game is ugly.

Like, f'real, this is supposed to be a bad character model? Are you people being serious or is there some joke I haven't been let it on?

84lRUBB.jpg

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not impressive in any way either.

Ramza

Banned
I posted captures earlier of the other 900p PS4 game, and they looked terrible too. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as that in game.

Those BF4 shots, while a mess of the lack of AA and low resolution, don't look blurry though. It's the blurriness that I'm trying to figure out in these ACU shots.

pottuvoi

Banned
if you only care about iq when watching screengrabs on your pc monitor maybe.
if you guys can't even see how ACU graphics are a substantial evolution over past AC's then this is hopeless.
Indeed, only important metric is overall quality of moving picture.
To all Ubisoft guys it seems like you do terrific job. :)

If you really care that much about graphical power, then consoles aren't exactly the way to go.

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not impressive in any way either.

Fair enough, but why did Ubi demo the PC version at the MS conference if it does not represent console quality settings?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

84lRUBB.jpg

For what it's worth, I'm with you on this. The image quality is disappointing compared to previous fakery, but holistically it's a very pretty game. Great artwork, detail, and light design (whether it's real-time or baked - I don't care). It's kind of weird to me that there are so many people who seem to judge a game's appearance based solely on texture resolution and edge crispness. It's like some kind of graphics autism where only those two features are perceivable.

If all the outrage is based purely on the implicit comparison to earlier faked (or PC spec) footage, then I guess I understand it, but to not see any of the positive qualities that remain is silly to me.

Lt-47

At least there's barely any aliasing. I'm not sur it's worth the trade off tho. Ryse seems to do the "cinematic IQ" much better

Valnen

This is a terrible way to defend a shitty looking product. It's not the hardware's fault they consistently downgrade their games from their initial reveal. It's Ubisoft's.

If only the majority of GAF actually understood that.

As I keep saying. Outside of The Order / Uncharted, this generation won't be defined by it's graphics..but by scope. AC already did a big open world last gen. Now we're getting 1:1 scale and unprecedented crowds.

The Arkham games were criticised for their lack of populace. I imagine that won't be a problem in really ambitious AAA games this gen. If you came looking for the graphical output of the $2500+ PC Ubisoft showcases it's games on, you'll be sorely disappointed.

KHlover

Banned

84lRUBB.jpg
Well at least in terms of clothing and face details that's a 2011-2012 PS3 level of detail.

Valnen

The lighting and overall quality of footage shown is far worse than the reveal.

tumblr_n303kla3ke1racblmo1_500.gif

Game still looks good but come on.

Yeah the initial reveal almost looks like a completely different game in terms of quality. I don't wan to support a company that consistently pulls this bullshit.

Nabbis

If only the majority of GAF actually understood that.

As I keep saying. Outside of The Order / Uncharted, this generation won't be defined by it's graphics..but by scope. AC already did a big open world last gen. Now we're getting 1:1 scale, and unprecedented crowds.

The Arkham games were criticised for their lack of populace. I imagine that won't be a problem in really ambitious AAA games this gen. If you came looking for the graphical output of the $2500+ PC Ubisoft shows it's games on, you'll be sorely disappointed.

8GB of unified memory will only get you so far. You need something beefier than the PS4 CPU for scope. This generation will be defined by it's bigger cell size, everything else is worse than what last gen offered for it's time.

Ubisoft vertical slice from a trade show looks better than the final release? Shocking!

.......thats my point. Ubi is the worst in the industry when it comes to showing a decent representation of their games. They go beyond bull shot to flat out making demos that aren't reflective of their games at all.

Sean*O

The issues seen here are not caused by jpeg screen cap degradation, not even close. If anything a jpeg cap will show less artifacts on these because the underlying textures have been blurred to make them compress better and take less bandwidth.

What may have happened here, is they had to drastically reduce the detail of the textures so they could get the performance up to par at 900p on Xbone and then used the same assets on PS4. I bet the PC version looks nowhere near this bad unless you choose low quality textures.

Now some people will say "ridiculous" but we already know Ubi purposefully aimed for console parity and 100% this is not jpeg or compression artifacts. It looks like they blurred all of the base textures for more efficient compression and less bandwidth use.

It's not some botched AA solution either, it's the base textures.

UrbanRats

This is the PC version. We haven't seen it yet.

There's the NVIDIA video.
Which i think looks pretty great.

It's just the console versions that aren't looking so hot, i guess.
Assuming that's how the PC version will look, that is.

Even that video doesn't look as good as that teaser, but we knew that already, as more recent media already was far from that.

eso76

Indeed, only important metric is overall quality of moving picture.
To all Ubisoft guys it seems like you do terrific job. :)

i've said this before and i still firmly believe that softer IQ beats jaggies, shimmering and crawling pixels
A lot of that probably depends on your setup, but i still think overall image consistency is the most important thing. Sharpness isnt, unless you just need to show off your new tv

Kezen

Banned
everything else is worse than what last gen offered for it's time.

I disagree. Unity has much higher quality assets and bigger scope than any previous gen AC.
6GB of usable RAM means next to no loading times for once, and more as developpers get familiar with the hardware.

My worries with regards to this new generation are not at all related to graphics, but business models.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
UwVtKNB.jpg

Story trailer

Actual game with ps4 screenshot feature from the french site.
LRfvRqI.jpg

Hardly an "extreme downgrade."

Think some people are exaggerating.

Skyzard

Banned
The lighting looks too clean but otherwise looks quite good in the video I saw. I'm not sure what everyone's referring to, I assume it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9sObzVCv8

PS4 isn't magic, seems like they have a lot of NPCs and decent environments. Lighting and shadows on people makes it look sterile or flat.

--might not be the lighting...not sure what's giving it that look. Maybe it's just the resolution, and compression from youtube.

UrbanRats

UwVtKNB.jpg

Story trailer

Actual game with ps4 screenshot feature from the french site.
LRfvRqI.jpg

Hardly an "extreme downgrade."

Think some people are exaggerating.

Again, the difference i would expect from PC on "ultra" settings and PS4.
Of course for a trailer they'll use the best version they have.

Skyzard

Banned
This is the PC version. We haven't seen it yet.

It still doesn't show lighting on character models which may be the thing looking the worst at the moment. [Actually I'm not sure it's the lighting specifically]

It does look crazy good in that gif.

The facial and character animation alone in Unity looks better. Come on now.

It really doesn't. Trust me.

Yeah, but Mordor has absolutely no scope...nor any sense of population for that matter. I liked Mordor, but it's a false equivalence wouldn't you say?

Arkham Knight is arguably the most apt comparison.

Sure, but even then when you're surrounding in a stronghold by dozens of orcs Mordor still looks way better. I don't know about framerate (played SOM at roughly console-level settings locked to 30 and I still encountered a few drops) but I was still more impressed with Mordor than I ever was with ACU.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It really doesn't. Trust me.

Sure, but even then when you're surrounding in a stronghold by dozens of orcs Mordor still looks way better. I don't know about framerate (played SOM at roughly console-level settings locked to 30 and I still encountered a few drops) but I was still more impressed with Mordor than I ever was with ACU.
Just from the xb1 previews AC Unity has the advantage, does Shadow of Mordor use facial capture?

Top Bottom