• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity PS4 version leaked and footage (Spoilers)

RexNovis

Banned
I feel like I'm going blind. So many praising the graphics but it just looks really off to me. Like the world is flat and something about the faces of the characters is just really off. Not to mention the clipping issues kinda drive me nuts but that's probably more of a personal pet peeve. Maybe I'm just not seeing whatever it is that's wowing people. It looks decidedly average to me.

Tycho_b

Tearing is awful in my standards. I wonder how bad it is in uncovered areas if it tears so badly in the interiors.
BUT - fantastic music and French VOs are very nice - if only there was an option to play in English with French VO.

R_Deckard

I feel like I'm going blind. So many praising the graphics but it just looks really off to me. Like the world is flat and something about the faces of the characters is just really off. Not to mention the clipping issues kinda drive me nuts but that's probably more of a personal pet peeve. Maybe I'm just not seeing whatever it is that's wowing people. It looks decidedly average to me.

This would have gone gold weeks ago, the day 1 patch will not even be finished yet and this will be how it looks out of the box.

3+gb Day 1 patch incoming, the 2 week delay was for optimising.

Cyborg

Who cares that it leaked. The real question is why did he support this game and give his money to Ubisoft?!

DryvBy

yeah just like GTAV showed on last ge.....oh wait!

Where is the confirmation of this though, I can understand locking down time like in SS or Watchdogs for missions but being baked does not stop it having a day/night cycle at all.

Didn't Black Flag even have day/night?

Where is the confirmation of this though, I can understand locking down time like in SS or Watchdogs for missions but being baked does not stop it having a day/night cycle at all.
Brilliant argument... GtaV looked like garbage last gen. I mean its not like ac unity already runs at a low fps and resolutuion on consoles...

R_Deckard

Glad I'm not the only one noticing that.
Fortunately on PC we have HBAO+.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVGKFPtNrw

The game clearly has AO running, look at the legs of the NPC's in the door, the pillars on the wall, the face of arno (even though the contrast is sky high and worse compression must be from the PS4 internal 720 capture) it is subtle but present.

Lets not judge the game yet on a pre-release copy without the huge incoming day 1 patch!

UrbanRats

GTAV doesn't have this level of lighting/global illumination.
What kind of comparison is that?

R_Deckard

Brilliant argument... GtaV looked like garbage last gen. I mean its not like ac unity already runs at a low fps and resolutuion on consoles...

What??? you clearly have no clue on this, baking, rez or framerate will not have an effect on IF the game has a day/night cycle, if it was a POWAH ting then every last gen game would have had no cycles.

Didn't Black Flag even have day/night?

yes it did even on last gen.

GTAV doesn't have this level of lighting/global illumination.
What kind of comparison is that?
It is not a comparison, GTAV has one of the best lighting systems in any game last gen. Quoting it cannot due to "GI" is just silly. If this was realtime and fully dynamic then I would see the issue, it is a fully baked system (so we have been told) so other than bandwidth/texture information having it fixed or cycle through is more of a development/time issue than a performance one.

The game clearly has AO running, look at the legs of the NPC's in the door, the pillars on the wall, the face of arno (even though the contrast is sky high and worse compression must be from the PS4 internal 720 capture) it is subtle but present.

Lets not judge the game yet on a pre-release copy without the huge incoming day 1 patch!
I have my doubts a day one patch will do anything to increase graphical quality, instead just optimisations.
I look forward to AO comparisons with the PCs hbao+ which is considerably higher quality in most games its used.

Kezen

Banned

The AO is there but it's clearly not of high quality, HBAO+ looks an order of magnitude more accurate IMO, watch the video I posted.
I wonder why they don't try to port it to consoles, the Gameworks library supports both Xbox One and PS4 after all.

AC4 and Watch Dogs had low quality AO on consoles while HBAO+ barely has a performance hit on my system.

What??? you clearly have no clue on this, baking, rez or framerate will not have an effect on IF the game has a day/night cycle, if it was a POWAH ting then every last gen game would have had no cycles.

yes it did even on last gen.
I'm curious on how you think including dynamic daytime lighting, which would require the drawing of many shadows from the environment dynamically, would not require superior processing power?

UnrealEck

The shadowing does seem lacking and I really can't see the ambient occlusion. The only shadows I really see are the ones cast when he's standing in direct sunlight.
Someone's mentioning baked lighting. It does look similar to the baked UE4 lighting (raytraced bake I think).

Looks pretty nice overall, definitely a sizeable step up from all versions of AC IV which is good. Coupled with that the music was delightful. I enjoyed the sequence primarily because of it I reckon.

The AO is there but it's clearly not of high quality, HBAO+ looks an order of magnitude more accurate IMO, watch the video I posted.
I wonder why they don't try to port it to consoles, the Gameworks library supports both Xbox One and PS4 after all.

AC4 and Watch Dogs had low quality AO on consoles while HBAO+ barely has a performance hit on my system.

Isn't it a Nvidia exclusive or some such crap?

R_Deckard

Consoles will most likely use HDAO (AMD's version) and as we have seen before Day 1 patches can add quite a few improvements from resolution, Framerate and AA, as I say it is not a stunning example of it but we can only judge the final game from much better quality, which this is no basis for that judgement.

I'm curious on how you think including dynamic daytime lighting, which would require the drawing of many shadows from the environment dynamically, would not require superior processing power?

Drawing low res shadows is the least of the issue for a system, if this was the issue it is a simple fix.

Dynamic Global Illumination is more about the Specular bounce and diffuse bounce in the lighting, i.e. look at the night shot from the B roll footage, you can see the blue hint in all objects from the moon, torches shine through and over cloth. Computing that in realtime is the expensive side of the process, working out shadows from a single light source (the Sun or moon) is not a difficult or power zapping part of this, it is the light reaction to objects. And as this is a fully PBR render now there is alot more information in the textures and composites then previously (25gb if all baked in which makes sense).

Kezen

Banned
Isn't it a Nvidia exclusive or some such crap?

Nope. Can run on AMD hardware, consoles included.
GameWorks-1-Overview-%287%29_575px.jpg

That's why I wonder why they're not using this instead of their cheap AO.

I wonder if tessellation will make the cut on consoles, the wording implies it's only available on PC.

Consoles will most likely use HDAO (AMD's version) and as we have seen before Day 1 patches can add quite a few improvements from resolution, Framerate and AA, as I say it is not a stunning example of it but we can only judge the final game from much better quality, which this is no basis for that judgement.
I was only commenting on the AO used. Watch Dogs on PS4 used MHBAO and HBAO on AC4 but it looked pretty bad.
I hope for console only gamers they will switch to something of higher quality.

stryke

Can someone screencap a screen tear because I don't see it. I don't have time to look at each frame but in slo-mo I haven't seen one.

I now dont understand the delay. The game is done now apparently as people have copies, why was it delayed two weeks?

Because if the game went gold, say last week. Without the delay it would have went gold two weeks earlier then when it went gold now.

Those two weeks are a ton of man hours, and could have been what the game needed to come into a shippable state.

And games go gold weeks before public release. You have to press discs, ship those discs and make sure everything is right. It's a much larger process then just a programmer screaming "done!" and then five million discs just magically shows up.

FeiRR

Banned
Can someone screencap a screen tear because I don't see it. I don't have time to look at each frame but in slo-mo I haven't seen one.

It is running pretty solid for a 30 FPS game. The main character does cast a shadow in bright light. It also seems there's a lot of pop-up but it may be the quality of the stream, which is very crappy even when set to source. Overall, graphics isn't very impressive, probably WD quality but the art direction is quite nice.

I'm eagerly waiting for the first used copy I can get.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game needs more shadows, (Tables, NPC's, doors, walls) none of them appear to have visual impact on the floor or with anything its connected_to/standing_in/on the game world.

Looks damn good to me. Traversal is looking slow though, but that's probably because I'm comparing it to Sunset, which isn't fair to this game.

UrbanRats

It is not a comparison, GTAV has one of the best lighting systems in any game last gen. Quoting it cannot due to "GI" is just silly. If this was realtime and fully dynamic then I would see the issue, it is a fully baked system (so we have been told) so other than bandwidth/texture information having it fixed or cycle through is more of a development/time issue than a performance one.

Seeing how the game can barely keep 30fps and 900p like this, it seems to me like it's definitely a performance issue.
Not saying we're never getting any form of GI with real time day/night cycle (isn't Driveclub doing something of the sort?) but given how many current gen games seem to opt for an arbitrary shift in the cycle (Infamous SS, even Shadow of Mordor) it's probably the easiest trade off.
If that email to GiantBomb was true, further more, implementing this lighting has been a huge challenge for them, so they probably cut corners where it made the most sense.
And the real time day/night cycle is something most people didn't even notice was there.

There should still be atmospheric changes in real time though, that would change the lighting.

I am watching other footage of the PS4 version and though the quality is crap, I am pretty damn impressed. All the cutscenes are real time. Character models are a damn big improvement over ACIV. I think young arnault is a little subpar compared to other models.

Stryke edit that out, otherwise it will be cancelled...

Vantriztic

Neo Member
No Day/Night cycle is probably the biggest disappointment of all. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

They wanted to avoid debates and stuff about which is better: day or night.

Honestly looks good though. That preview with the massive framerate drops have been eating at me, I'll wait to see what the Day 1 patch does.

valkyre

I am watching other footage of the PS4 version and though the quality is crap, I am pretty damn impressed. All the cutscenes are real time. Character models are a damn big improvement over ACIV. I think young arnault is a little subpar compared to other models.

Stryke edit that out, otherwise it will be cancelled...

Can you give a link of the stream?

Jijidasu

The voices are quite nice in French. They have been sketchy about many things but the cut scenes have definitely shown vast improvements over the previous game.

Top Bottom