• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Addnan

Ov4QDC1.png

Title: Assetto Corsa
Platform: PC (Steam)
Developer: Kunos Simulazioni
Release Date: 8/11/2013 (Early Access)
Price: £29.99/€34.99/$39.99 (Will go up 22% on final release)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/

Release Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm_O5qv-ZF0

What is Assetto Corsa?

Assetto Corsa is a next-generation driving simulator for Windows PC which reproduces real-world circuits, as well as road and racing cars. The game includes a virtual career (will be added in updates) and allows the player to create and customize offline competitions and multiplayer races to challenge other players.

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 10.1 (AMD Radeon HD 6450, Nvidia GeForce GT 460)
DirectX: Version 10
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated

Recommended:
Processor: AMD Six-Core CPU, Intel Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 (AMD Radeon HD 7870, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated

Early access 1.0 content

Cars
kZY1eWNl.jpg

Production
- Abarth 500 Esseesse
- Lotus Elise SC
- Lotus Exige Scura

GT
- BMW M3 E30 Evoluzione
- BMW M3 E92
- BMW Z4 E89

GTR
- BMW M3 GT2

Classic GP
- Classic Team Lotus Type 49

Supercar
- Ferrari 458 Italia

Trackday
- KTM X-Bow R

Open Wheel
- Tatuus FA01

Tracks
Rr5SuXjl.jpg

- Autodromo Di Magione
- Autodromo Di Imola
- Silverstone - International
- Autodromo Di Monza Classic 60's Edition

Game will be update regularly with new content. Will update thread as it happens.

Addnan

If there is missing info, wrong info, something I should add, let me know. Not very good at making these fancy threads. Killzone thread has scared me.

The_Monk

Thanks for creating the thread fellow GAFfer.

I'll be checking for some impressions in here, very curious about this one.

Shaneus

Oh god yes, all over my face. Finally a next-gen sim worthy of the "simulation" title, with insane graphics to boot.

Already bought.

bee

post it in this thread too

my impressions are just pretty much, the game is awesome

the launcher had some issues for me but once i got it going it's a really nice interface to launch the game with

the game is jaggy city unless you run with a fair amount of aa, still looks great though, imo in motion it looks better than pcars

physics, weight transfer both seem fantastic, was playing the M3 at imola and ferrari 458 at silverstone, too early to tell if its the new physics champion but it wouldn't surprise me if it is

the game has excellent sli scaling, both cards at 99% for the whole duration of the game but it heats your card(s) up more than probably any other game

performance, well this will have no meaning to practically anyone else but i'm running 3D surround, the game is 3D vision ready and has perfect 3D, (5760x1080 3D) 2xaa, 16xaf, medium shadow, low for reflections and averaging just under 60fps although that's just single car hotlapping so far, that's on 780 sli

using a t500 wheel the force feedback feels the same as the tech preview i.e excellent , also tried on a 360 pad and its perfectly playable

back to the game! :)

project cars looks even better than assetto corsa, although the physics arent even close

I've been a pCARS member since the start, it doesn't look like Gran Turismo. There's more to "looks" then just tech.

This game looks very very much like Gran Turismo.

Addnan

I am running it on 3570K @ 4.5 and GTX 770. 1080p everything set to whatever the maximum is. Game looks pretty great, needs more AA options, though I guess I could do that through Nvidia. As mentioned above it does get my card a little warmer than other games. No idea why, but it is within safe limits, so no issues.

As for how the game feels, it is incredible. I am using a cheap Driving Force GT and the feel is excellent. The driving physics are phenomenal. The Lotus 49 is a monster of a car that needs taming and I am not good enough to do that yet.

Novak

Is it playable wit x360 gamepad? Maybe some steering option (normal, simulation) like in Forza?

I would love to try the game, but I dont want to buy a wheel until next-gen supports is known. Still hoping for Fantec support on xb1/ps4/pc.

Xanadu

Banned
I've been a pCARS member since the start, it doesn't look like Gran Turismo. There's more to "looks" then just tech.

This game looks very very much like Gran Turismo.

oh i see your point, yes colours are quite similar

I am running it on 3570K @ 4.5 and GTX 770. 1080p everything set to whatever the maximum is. Game looks pretty great, needs more AA options, though I guess I could do that through Nvidia. As mentioned above it does get my card a little warmer than other games. No idea why, but it is within safe limits, so no issues.

As for how the game feels, it is incredible. I am using a cheap Driving Force GT and the feel is excellent. The driving physics are phenomenal. The Lotus 49 is a monster of a car that needs taming and I am not good enough to do that yet.

downscaling fixes everything ;)

lem0n

Like I mentioned in the other thread, this is like half the reason I got a PC in the first place. Downloading soon :D

bee

screen with 4xaa cos in 2D and smaa injected, was actually 100fps fraps stole 5fps for taking the screenshot lol

assy4ura.png

Addnan

downscaling fixes everything ;)

How could I forget that, I recommend it to everyone :p

I am using the road lines since I seem to have forgotten all the trackd. Anyway, Silverstone lines are all weird. They tell you to take corners without braking that are pretty much impossible.

Anyway, 1440p downsample now. Woo.

assettooferekqxs.png

I CAN STILL SEE ALIASING!

Phinor

AC looks pretty great in screenshots but in motion there's a lot of flickering and aliasing even at 4k resolution. I wonder if that's fixable. Seems to be pretty common issue in many modern games.

_machine

Is it playable wit x360 gamepad? Maybe some steering option (normal, simulation) like in Forza?

I would love to try the game, but I dont want to buy a wheel until next-gen supports is known. Still hoping for Fantec support on xb1/ps4/pc.
What I just tried with no assists on, I wouldn't recommend it to a pad-player just yet, there are options for pad filtering, but I couldn't tweak it to anywhere near decent just yet. I'm sure they'll get there, but as of now it didn't really work very well with a pad.

As for my impressions, as I said it's really, really rough with a pad so that really dragged my first experience down, but I did feel some really cool stuff from the physics and I really can't wait to get to try with a G25.

However, overall it felt pretty rough still; aside from the missing features, the graphics were a lot rougher than I thought even though the performance wasn't really good (dipped below 30fps rather often even with medium-ish settings) and the IQ was pretty poor with 2xMSAA and 2xFXAA. The colors ranged from very good GT-like at times to overblown HDR and too washed colours. Overall it's definitely the second best looking sim, but I can't see it ever matching pCARS, but that's not to detract from the great work Kunos has done on the rendering side aswell.

There were some other technical things I disliked too, like the car viewer (which run at 5fps for some weird reason) and actual racing being separate processes and 2 crashes so far. It had some hiccups in the UI too, but they were very minor and I really like the style of whole UI.

That said, at it's core is a fantastic base for a game and I'm pretty sure once I get to drive it with a wheel it'll be the most realistic racer I've played so far. Especially the E30 felt really good, much better than the one in pCARS and it did really remind of the souped up E30 325 I've gotten to drive. It has some really great core features and the UI, as I said before, is really slick. With the inclusion of racing, multiplayer, AI, multiplayer etc. it'll be definitely absolutely amazing, but I do think it has still quite some way to go.

AC looks pretty great in screenshots but in motion there's a lot of flickering and aliasing even at 4k resolution. I wonder if that's fixable. Seems to be pretty common issue in many modern games.
That's due to AC using a deferred render like many modern games (FM5 being an exception) to support dynamic lights and proper timescale, but it does it at the cost of harder to achieve great IQ. MSAA on a deferred render is both worse in quality and performance than in it's forward rendering cousin so the options are to go for blurry post-processing AA (FXAA in AC) or the heavy downsampling. There are ways to counter shader aliasing and I think that we might be seeing improvements on that department on AC too in the future, but perfect IQ will be hard to achieve in the game.

The_Monk

I would love to play this game with no HUD at all, that's how I've been playing racing games, it feels so good.

Addnan

Sun setting on Silverstone. Has a huge performance hit right now for me. Pretty to look at while driving though.

sunsetf3kgh.png

sunset20ij66.png

Snubbers

Feeling stupid now, how do you get all the nice overlays from teh tech demo (lap delta's, FPS, that kind of thing)?
[edit] - Doh.. just move the mouse to the right of the screen and it's all there!!!

Just about to move my PC down to the racing rig, but just given it a whirl using a keyboard (LOL).. graphics seem good on my 4770K/5870 modest setup..

TJP

Luca from Kunos has just posted the following wheel settings: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/suggested-wheel-setups-ac-early-access.1429/

FANATEC Clubsport Wheel BMW Rim (tested on rev.B CSW base)
(tested and suggested by Luca Sodano)

In Fanatec Panel:
Wheel angle : of course 900
Dampening strength: 0

In AC -> Controls -> Advanced
Gain: 90%
Damping: 0.10 - 0.30 (according to your tastes)

On the BMW rim
SEN: off
FF: 100
SHO: 100 (if you want to use the vibration inside the rim)
ABS: off
LIN: off
DEA: off
DRI: 001
For: 100 - 120 (play with this value according to your tastes and feeling)
Spr: 0
Dpr: 0

LOGITECH G25/G27 (tested and suggested by Luca Sodano)

In Logitech Panel:
Overall effects strength: 100%
Spring effects strength: 0%
Damper effects Strength: 0%
Centering: 0%
Degrees: 900
Allow game to adjust settings CHECKED
Combined Pedals MUST BE DISABLED

In AC -> Controls -> Advanced
Force Feedback Gain: 95%
Dampening: 0.15 (or change according to your tastes)

THRUSTMASTER T500 RS (tested and suggested by Luca Sodano and Armando Di Florio)
Removed by Luca and to be resubmitted shortly!

TJP

Graphical settings advice from Kunos: 'Don't use AA and FXAA together. Put HDR off, Faces at 2 and Cube medium to gain fps'

I'm getting 58-60 fps with everthing set to maximum athough it was recommended in the Tech Preview to leave the shadows and reflections at medium with no more than 3 faces. That said, the jaggies I see in AC are no different to those I see in FVA; only way to fix most of them in FVA was to use sparse grid supersampling

p3tran

Banned
Evening lights cutting my fps by about 30.

Someone wanted the E30. I did not enjoy this. I like how the windshield gets dirty, don't know if you can clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2aswVuI_Y

I guess -dont know if you have same opinion- that the little akward thing with the m3's is that they have this sudden transversal weight shit for a few degrees and then they lock when turning even a little.
thats something that these cars do when full throttle and quick turn of the wheel, only here its much more pronounced. I wonder if fiddling with the tune settings will fix this.. oh well, 'problems' :D

Seanspeed

Banned
What I just tried with no assists on, I wouldn't recommend it to a pad-player just yet, there are options for pad filtering, but I couldn't tweak it to anywhere near decent just yet. I'm sure they'll get there, but as of now it didn't really work very well with a pad.
Thanks for that. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Might hold out for a little while. I'm super tempted to buy it anyways, but it'll kill me to have this game available to play in my library with no good way to play it.

paskowitz

Car physics ranking IMO:

1. KTM X-bow (sublime. Oversteer comes on naturally, understeer situations make sense, absolutely awesome braking and steering. If the real thing is like this... I need one.)
2. 458 Italia (twitchy but last time I checked this car should be challenge)
3. Lotus Elise SC (great for me. similar to the first gen Exige I drove IRL)
4. Tatuus FA01 (Not much to go off of, but I like it)
5. Classic Team Lotus Type 49 (An absolute handful, but once you get the shifting correct, it is great)
6. M3 GT2 (Not bad, but I find the grip levels to be too high at low speed. Love the stiff suspension though.)
7. BMW E92 M3 (Getting used to it, but still too twitchy)
8. Lotus Exige Scura (Way too much grip. Unless this thing has soft compound racing slicks on it... way too much grip)
9. Abarth 500 (just kind bleh. No lift off oversteer)
10. BMW Z4 (Does not handle like the real thing. IRL car is squirmy under heavy breaking and goes into oversteer with trail braking)
11. BMW E30 M3 (Way way too grippy like the Exige. Tire grip needs to be reduced by at least 30%. When this car came out it had a pretty natural tendency to oversteer.)

TJP

@paskowitz You may be right on some counts...

This is from Race Department from Luca Sodano:

Hi guys, pay attention. In the setup screen of the Elise, now you can choose tyre compound (and fuel) too. In the TP we drove on semi-slick tyres and with very low fuel weight.

kafiend

Loving it so far. Going to have a good weekend :)

I set the time at Imola to 6pm and the time multiplier to max to see if it would get dark - It didn't. What did happen though is the clouds went down the main straight faster than I did. Very odd effect and brain melting.

markao

Drove it some more and in general like the road cars a lot more than the BMW GT and the Lotus 49. Road cars have a great weight shift that you feel through the FFB, some maybe little to much grip or understeer (F 458), but overall good communication through the wheel. (although little lag) Lotus 49 just lacks engine (power) control through accelerator, iRacing/pCARS do this a lot better. BMW GT feels like FFB issue for me, little delay/lay, have to check settings.

Some flickering on what looks to be alpha textures (fences/stand and also little on guard rails), but overall like the clean lighting look.

The only thing I hate with a passion, is the 5 second slow down penalty, just invalid my laptime Kunos.

ps: did someone ask a mod to close the other thread yet?

Been having fun! Lots of good, but a bunch of so-so as well.

I haven't tried all the cars yet, but a lot of you guys are right on point with the ones I have. X-Bow, 458, E92 I really liked. Not a fan of the L49. I consider it a bit of a benchmark car, and to me it feels like it exceeds the limits of the sim's physics. Stonking' fast, bad brakes, poor traction does not a L49 make! Maybe some setup work might help.

Anybody else getting the weird shaky tach/power delivery? I'm not getting great framerates, so I think it might be tied to that. I need to look into it.

@markao you can disable the penalties - AC/cfg/race.ini - ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT=1 (change from 2)

I haven't seen anyone mention the all important fov settings. They're +/- on your keyboard.

Looking forward to maybe doing some hotlap comps if people are interested. I'll ask tomorrow.

77780gufr.gif

Shaneus

Thanks for that. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Might hold out for a little while. I'm super tempted to buy it anyways, but it'll kill me to have this game available to play in my library with no good way to play it.
Don't be disappointed just yet. After quite a while tweaking and testing, I managed to get it driving REALLY well with a pad. Only problems are sensitivity with low-speed turning and countersteering, but it's just a matter of kinda relearning how to drive with a pad. It makes sense, but it's odd noticing that when countersteering in the past on consoles you could just flick the joystick the other way and you'd be set (pretty much)... relearning with this when you have to be super careful with it is tough, but satisfying.

Could I churn out perfect laps with it? Nah. But with zero assists (except I think for a teensy bit of stability control. Certainly nothing else) it was quite satisfying and I think if I gave it the time I could have just as satisfying an experience as if I was playing a game honed for the 360 pad, like Forza.

Perhaps other people here with pads and wheels can give their impressions with the following settings:
7lAo9SR.png

but like I said, once I understood how the settings worked, I was happy with the result :) Would I buy it if I didn't have a wheel? Really tough to say... I probably would. I'm sure that when I can't be fucked setting the wheel up, I'll still be firing it up for a few laps here or there.

Another thing to note as well, is that the gear shifts are actually tied to the animations, not when you press the button. I noticed that with the Elise (or was it the Exige? I dunno) as it was a stick, I had to change THEN release the trigger for an optimal shift, but with a paddle-shift car like the 458, I had to be a lot more realistic with my timing (this is with auto-clutch). Anyone else find that?

But still, fun as hell. Can't wait to try it with a wheel.

I've manage to do a few laps in a few different cars (my 670 is fucked up, I'm waiting for a replacement) and this sim is amazing. I still have to try it with a wheel to properly judge the physics but even with a gamepad they are good.

I have the old Fanatec GT3 RS V1 but I need a new set of pedals because I sold my ClubSport V1 with my Turbo S. I'm getting the V2 pedals but I'm afraid this game (and GT6) will make buy the whole Clubsport set (and a new seat).

kamkor

Neo Member
This is the best thing that happend to pc sim racing since Live For Speed, Netkar Pro and RBR. So much fun! I've had a go at drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIj_hPr64Sw

My only complaint is, that it's a bit too hard to spin the tires when on throttle.

FFB depends a lot on the car, and could be a bit better.

Shaneus

Second best selling? Is that on the front Steam page?

Edit: Well, fuck me.
rlYiZ8e.png

Good on them! To rate second only to the latest CoD is amazing for Kunos. Top shit :D

Top Bottom