• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At gunpoint: Super Paper Mario or Super Mario Galaxy

Pimpbaa

Super Mario Galaxy. SPM looks like something slapped together with the graphics from the last paper mario, whereas SMG is going to be a brand new Mario game (which is baffling some are not more excited for).

Tough choice but I'd have to go with Galaxy. EAD really redeemed themselves with Sunshine following the disappointment of Mario 64. Though the return to an automatic camera worries me a bit.

Choabac

I'll pick Galaxy.

nincompoop said:
Tough choice but I'd have to go with Galaxy. EAD really redeemed themselves with Sunshine following the disappointment of Mario 64. Though the return to an automatic camera worries me a bit.

And thus the thread explodes in 3, 2, 1...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
galaxy, based on my perception that it could be something radically different.
spm still looks tits-magic, though.

Pimpbaa

nincompoop said:

You made a mistake right? You mixed those two games up?! Right!? RIGHT?!?!

Burnst

:lol Who would hold me at gunpoint over this?

miyamoto_pulp.jpg

Cdammen

My choice is Super Mario Galaxy. I'd like to try something new, gameplay wise. Super Paper Mario does also have some new mechanics but Galaxy feels more new and fresh.

But I'm still buying both :p

jarrod

Banned
Galaxy, no question. I love IntSys like no other developer at this point, but Galaxy just looks like pure fun.

Flakster99

I am anticipating Super Mario Galaxy the most right now. Weather or not it proves to be a better, funfilled, tighter gameplay experience then Super Paper Mario who knows. :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mr. TV Goggles said:
How can some people honestly say SPM over SMG? SPM looks nowhere near as fun as SMG.
I don't know how anyone can eat mexican food. It's nowhere near as tasty as italian food.

Pimpbaa

Scrow said:
I don't know how anyone can eat mexican food. It's nowhere near as tasty as italian food.

A better food analogy would not wanting to try a new food and rather stick to something reheated in the microwave.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Pimpbaa said:
A better food analogy would not wanting to try a new food and rather stick to something reheated in the microwave.

So...running on the back of a dragon, switching perspectives, and using RPG elements in traditional platform gameplay, is akin to eating a tv dinner?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that this thread will inevitably turn spm proponents and smg proponents against each other is silly. anyone who plays one will almost surely play the other. let's not get into arguments about one looking bad and the other looking amazing--they both look f***-awesome.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kreed said:
Neither, Super Smash Brothers Brawl FTW!

Galaxy

good to see new people are also using needless spoiler tags. I hope you die new guy.

Galaxy obviously. Nothing against super paper mario though, but that has RPG elements, which suck always.

Kreed

catfish said:
good to see new people are also using needless spoiler tags. I hope you die new guy.

Wow... I don't know if your refering to me getting banned or actually dying, but either way, wow.

EktorPR

Super Mario Galaxy. It promises new gameplay mechanics, incredible visuals and quality production values...all brought to us by the same team that gave us the incredible Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

Super Paper Mario is done by IS, so I know it'll be great...but it will never be as EPIC as Galaxy.

Pimpbaa, love the avatar...Samus looks to kill in that gif. :D

Oldschoolgamer said:
So...running on the back of a dragon, switching perspectives, and using RPG elements in traditional platform gameplay, is akin to eating a tv dinner?
Thanks, now i'm hungry...

Pimpbaa

Oldschoolgamer said:

Maybe a fancy tv dinner, one that tastes kinda good. But you tasted it before. Or you could choose some completely new dish created by a renown master chef. I mean seriously this is a brand new real mario game (which we haven't gotten since mario 64) which i assume Miyamoto has been intimently involved with.

Ranger X

Mr. TV Goggles said:
How can some people honestly say SPM over SMG? SPM looks nowhere near as fun as SMG.

Different people different opinions. Personally the space setting of SMG doesn't attrack me at all and i'm very turned down by the fact we will always walk on multiple mini planets.
This isn't immersive for me, i wish of a 3D Mario where i feel i'm in a huge/endless Mushroom Kingdom.
Super Pario Mario attracts me because not only there seem to be 2D platforming goodness (something getting rare nowadays) but i also fell in love with the art of the game, it's really amazing imo.

Yoshi`s Island 2

Super Paper Mario. I prefer 2d side-scrollers and I want to see the game successful enough to encourage more developers to produce more 2d platformer for consoles. I am one of those evil people who didn`t enjoy Mario 64 that much - I can objectively see that it is a well-made game, but I somehow didn`t enjoy it compared to other offering, partially due to camera problems. I will give Mario Galaxy the benefit of the doubt, however - maybe it will play better with the Wii controller and new camera system.

splatty

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kreed said:
Wow... I don't know if your refering to me getting banned or actually dying, but either way, wow.

I think you mean

wow, just wow.

Now post something witty followed by "/thread" to complete the trifecta of annoying shit that this forum doesn't need.

Also, I have a migrane and i'm only this much of a cock sometimes. Welcome to GAF.

Pimpbaa

catfish said:
I think you mean

wow, just wow.

Now post something witty followed by "/thread" to complete the trifecta of annoying shit that this forum doesn't need.

Also, I have a migrane and i'm only this much of a cock sometimes. Welcome to GAF.

I think catfish really hates spoiler tags.

Odysseus

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:

It's simple, really.

3D platforming sucks.

Thusly, every 3D Mario platformer sucks.

Ergo, Mario Galaxy will, in fact, suck.

Super Paper Mario is the new hotness.

japtor

Oldschoolgamer said:
yes. if you found a bunch of dead flies and roaches in it.

Unison

The RPG elements I saw in the SPM gameplay videos seemed iffy and the shift to 2.5D seems a bit annoying. I would have to go with SMG at this point. Nothing about that game sends up a warning sign.

Top Bottom