• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At gunpoint: Super Paper Mario or Super Mario Galaxy

EktorPR said:
:lol So true.

Ocarina of Time > Anything.

Fact. :)

IntSys is the only tether that remains between Nintendo and myself. So no, you lose.

PS: Majora's Mask beats the pants off OoT single-handedly anyway.

EktorPR

Dragona Akehi said:
IntSys is the only tether that remains between Nintendo and myself. So no, you lose.

Its's true. Ocarina of Time pioneered. Majora's Mask perfected. I agree.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
My Argument.

Has Intelligent Systems changed the industry? No.

Has EAD changed the industry? Several Times.

But Intelligent Systems should probably be favored by nerds because there job is to develop games for hardcore nerds. Meaning 100-300k sales per game.

EAD has to develop for the masses. Fortunately Zelda and Mario are better IMO than the N64 versions. Wii Sports is pretty close to the EAD arcade mantra we loved when we played Wave Race and 1080, wait till you play Wii Boxing for proof. Wii Play and Wii Music and Wii Big Brain Academy are so-so. But maybe they will be fun who knows.

I mean overall my favorite Nintendo games

Zelda (EAD)
Super Mario (EAD)
Wave Race (EAD)
F-Zero (EAD)
Star Fox (EAD)
1080* (EAD)
Fire Emblem (Int Sys)
Advance Wars (Int Sys)
Metroid (SPD)
Tetris (SPD)
Wario Ware (SPD)
Rhythm Heaven (SPD)
Detective Club (SPD)

:)

Shikamaru Ninja said:
My Argument.

But Intelligent Systems should probably be favored by nerds because there job is to develop games for hardcore nerds. Meaning 100-300k sales per game.

EAD has to develop for the masses. Fortunately Zelda and Mario are better IMO than the N64 versions. Wii Sports is pretty close to the EAD arcade mantra we loved when we played Wave Race and 1080, wait till you play Wii Boxing for proof. Wii Play and Wii Music and Wii Big Brain Academy are so-so. But maybe they will be fun who knows.

Zelda (EAD)
Super Mario (EAD)
Wave Race (EAD)
F-Zero (EAD)
Star Fox (EAD)
1080* (EAD)
Fire Emblem (Int Sys)
Advance Wars (Int Sys)
Metroid (SPD)
Tetris (SPD)
Wario Ware (SPD)
Rhythm Heaven (SPD)
Detective Club (SPD)

Blahblahblahblah. IntSys and R&D1 for the win. (RIP R&D1.)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
R&D1 is still alive. Only smaller than ever.

SPD holds 4 development teams right now.

SPD1 is Yoshio Sakamoto and the Metroid team
SPD2 is Hitoshi Yamagami and a few other R&D1 guys.

The rest of R&D1 went to EAD (Nintendogs team) and Iwata's special Brain-Age team.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
R&D1 is still alive. Only smaller than ever.

SPD holds 4 development teams right now.

SPD1 is Yoshio Sakamoto and the Metroid team
SPD2 is Hitoshi Yamagami and a few other R&D1 guys.

The rest of R&D1 went to EAD (Nintendogs team) and Iwata's special Brain-Age team.

This is so depressing.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
My Argument.

Zelda (EAD)
Super Mario (EAD)
Wave Race (EAD)
F-Zero (EAD)
Star Fox (EAD)
1080* (EAD)
Fire Emblem (Int Sys)
Advance Wars (Int Sys)
Metroid (SPD)
Tetris (SPD)
Wario Ware (SPD)
Rhythm Heaven (SPD)
Detective Club (SPD)

Good thing I only play games for their perceived importance to the industry. Oh, man, I guess that means I have to play Nintendogs now, doesn't it?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wich games were made by R&D1?

It's a really long list man. Spanning from the 70s. Technically Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. were by R&D1 even. Game & Watch titles.. The team used to be massive.

Recently... (Before Split)

Wario Land 4 (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Wario Ware: Mega Micro Games (GBA)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)

Very Recently (After Split)

Wario Ware: Touched! (NDS)
Mahjong DS (NDS)
Tetris DS (NDS)
Rhythm Heaven (GBA)
Mahjong WiFi (NDS)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is the gun loaded?

edit:
Oldschoolgamer said:
ZOMG...what? Care to elaborate o_O?

Don't waste yer time on that one. He's the same dude that hates Super Mario World. :lol

Oblivion

Oh, and yeah, I pick Galaxy. This IS of course assuming it's not short as hell.

SPM looks awesome (I've actually grown quite fond of the art, though I would modify Mario a bit), but...I dunno.

AniHawk

Wario Ware killed Wario Land
Metroid Prime killed Metroid
Batallion Wars will kill Advance Wars

It's only a matter of time. Hope everyone enjoyed Dual Strike.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Wario Ware killed Wario Land
Metroid Prime killed Metroid
Batallion Wars will kill Advance Wars

It's only a matter of time. Hope everyone enjoyed Dual Strike.

Atleast Mario and Zelda are intact!

Not for long

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So, are Wario Thief and Metroid Dread being done by the SPD teams then?

The SPD teams are supposed to work with second-party developers on most of their games. SPD1 (Yoshio Sakamoto) does have in-house progammers and designers that worked on Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Rhythm Heaven.

SPD2 doesn't have much of an in-house staff, but Yamagami is allowed to draft programmers and designers if they are free to develop games like Mahjong and Tetris DS in-house.

SPD3 is completely a production group that works with outside developers.

SPD4 i dunno about.

SantaC said:
Atleast Mario and Zelda are intact!

Only because Miyamoto is in charge of them. EAD will never have their series' comprimised. I heard that EAD was always jealous of R&D1 abnd IntSys... Dunno how true it is though.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
Only because Miyamoto is in charge of them. EAD will never have their series' comprimised. I heard that EAD was always jealous of R&D1 abnd IntSys... Dunno how true it is though.

What would he have had to've been jealous of recently? His old 'mentor' and rival has been dead for a decade (RIP :( )

SantaC

Dragona Akehi said:

probably true since Miyamoto seems to avoid games he didn't create, like Kid Icarus and Metroid.

Anihawk said:
I fear for Zelda though. Everything I've heard is mixed regarding PH and WiiTP.

I fear for PH. I think it looks very uninteresting. I am not really worried for TP, since everyone has just played a very limited demo of it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
while IntSys is OMGAWESOMETOTAL

I gotta go with Galaxy here. its my most anticipated next or new gen whatever game.

AniHawk

SantaC said:
probably true since Miyamoto seems to avoid games he didn't create, like Kid Icarus and Metroid.

He also destroyed the franchise he didn't create (Metroid).

Seriously though, I heard he was rather miffed that Retro couldn't get their act together initially

SantaC

AniHawk said:
He also destroyed the franchise he didn't create (Metroid).

Seriously though, I heard he was rather miffed that Retro couldn't get their act together initially

yeah Retro's first attempt on a Metroid was infact in 3rd person. I wish they had pulled through with that :(

3rd > 1st.

AniHawk

SantaC said:
yeah Retro's first attempt on a Metroid was infact in 3rd person. I wish they had pulled through with that :(

3rd > 1st.

Ratchet & Clank: UYA with the dual-analog control was exactly how 3D Metroid should've been.

Loops

galaxy.jpg

I follow the leader ! Galaxy ><

Oblivion

SantaC said:

3rd > 1st.

Totally agreed. A lot of people like to rag on Retro, but it's kinda unfair imo. They're really talented guys, it's just that Nintendo forced them to make a game go in the direction it did.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Ratchet & Clank: UYA with the dual-analog control was exactly how 3D Metroid should've been.

good point. Let's hope 3rd person is in next Metroid console iteration.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Isn't Metroid Prime 3 the last in the Prime series? Couldn't that possibly mean that they'll try something new? :eek:

Oblivion

trh said:
Isn't Metroid Prime 3 the last in the Prime series? Couldn't that possibly mean that they'll try something new? :eek:

Yeah, Kid Icarus Wii. 8)

AniHawk

trh said:

I think Nintendo believes that now they've 'revived' Metroid, they have to keep it going for a bit. Retro may do some other franchise, but I'm afraid they'll probably end up doing Metroid Omega or some shit.

Bah, I feel like Metroid had always been about the atmosphere of the game. The first-person with the visor effects worked flawlessly in achieving a level of immersion hardly seen in videogaming.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:

You need to go back and replay Majora's "only has one dungeon worth mentioning" Mask, methinks.

Oblivion

AniHawk said:
You need to go back and replay Majora's "only has one dungeon worth mentioning" Mask, methinks.

Just to make sure, it's Stone Tower, right?

EktorPR

Oblivion said:
Totally agreed. A lot of people like to rag on Retro, but it's kinda unfair imo. They're really talented guys, it's just that Nintendo forced them to make a game go in the direction it did.

What? Prime wouldn't have come together in the first place without Nintendo's influence/guidance. Heck, Retro IS Nintendo. And Retro was disorganized, plagued with "too many, too soon" titles (like that football sim, high-fantasy RPG and car-destroying game) and without proper leadership. Prime 1 is a masterpiece, and yes, in first person it worked damn well. Thanks to Miyamoto and the EAD helping squad.

Top Bottom