• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At gunpoint: Super Paper Mario or Super Mario Galaxy

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
EktorPR said:
What? Prime wouldn't have come together in the first place without Nintendo's influence/guidance. Heck, Retro IS Nintendo. And Retro was disorganized, plagued with "too many, too soon" titles (like that football sim, high-fantasy RPG and car-destroying game) and without proper leadership. Prime 1 is a masterpiece, and yes, in first person it worked damn well. Thanks to Miyamoto and the EAD helping squad.

What I meant was upper management telling them to go the first person route. I know Retro IS Nintendo.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AniHawk said:
Wario Ware killed Wario Land
Metroid Prime killed Metroid
Batallion Wars will kill Advance Wars

It's only a matter of time. Hope everyone enjoyed Dual Strike.

And SM64 killed SMW?

Nah. The greatest games will live forever and will be reborn in another fashion.

From what I've seen, EAD Tokyo is great at isolating that "happy feeling" that makes me feel like a kindergartener. My only worry is the length (and thus, the pacing). If Galaxy is as short as Jungle Beat, I'm going to be disappointed. However, based on the repetition and pacing of Jungle Beat, I'm not sure the funcore could sustain a 15-20 hour game. I love IS, but I see more fun in Galaxy.

AniHawk

Journeywalker said:
From what I've seen, EAD Tokyo is great at isolating that "happy feeling" that makes me feel like a kindergartener. My only worry is the length (and thus, the pacing). If Galaxy is as short as Jungle Beat, I'm going to be disappointed. However, based on the repetition and pacing of Jungle Beat, I'm not sure the funcore could sustain a 15-20 hour game. I love IS, but I see more fun in Galaxy.

EAD Tokyo is also the team that made Super Mario Sunshine.

EBCubs03

Banned
I expect SPM to be a 5-8 hour game, and if it's even that, I will be happy.

I expect SMG to be 30+ hours, and if it's not, I will be kinda upset... But chances are I'll still be playing Zelda when SMG comes out anyway. :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
good god, metroid prime killed metroid?
it made it relevant again.

and wario ware is an avant-garde masterpiece of modern gaming.

jesus, you managed to trash at least two of the most impressive gaming accomplishments of the past 5 years in one post.

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
good god, metroid prime killed metroid?
it made it relevant again.

Metroid Fusion sold well over 800k during the same timespan, and it never had to be packed-in, nor was its price slashed over and over. It didn't even have the same marketing campaign Prime did, and it still sold well.

jesus, you managed to trash at least two of the most impressive gaming accomplishments of the past 5 years in one post.

No I didn't.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AniHawk said:
Metroid Fusion sold well over 800k during the same timespan, and it never had to be packed-in, nor was its price slashed over and over. It didn't even have the same marketing campaign Prime did, and it still sold well.

No I didn't.

might have something to do with the gba install base v. the gamecube install base.
and i certainly don't think quality game always leads to proportionally correlate sales numbers.

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
might have something to do with the gba install base v. the gamecube install base.

Well Metroid Prime was meant to be the GC's big killer app in the first year on the market. It wasn't. Wonder why.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
Advance Wars> Legend of Zelda, Mario, and Metroid combined.

I went there. Oh, yeah.
Wow.

I actually agree if you remove any one choice from the Zelda/Mario/Metroid list.
Though add Fire Emblem to the Advance Wars side and it's no question.

AniHawk said:
Wario Ware killed Wario Land
Metroid Prime killed Metroid
Batallion Wars will kill Advance Wars

It's only a matter of time. Hope everyone enjoyed Dual Strike.
Eesh, I didn't think of it that way but there's some distinct possibility you're right. After all, Zelda's in as much trouble as you're saying, and Mario, well...
PantherLotus said:
And SM64 killed SMW?
Yes, actually, yes, considering that there were no new 2D Mario games for ten years afterward.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
again, i don't think the quality of a game necessarily always makes it a system-seller for everyone. in fact, to say so is complete blindness.

AniHawk

plagiarize said:
right. the best 3d platformer last gen.

so that's a good thing yes?

Well, yeah. Considering that it's going to be a platformer and not a buddy-platformer. SMS was at its best when it was only Mario.

Oblivion

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, actually, yes, considering that there were no new 2D Mario games for ten years afterward.

I doubt it was due to Mario 64. More like EAD being weird for the hell of it.

Oblivion

By the way, surprised at the amount of people saying Galaxy. That best of E3 thread we had would've made me think vastly more people would've gotten SPM.

edit: p.s. this thread really needs a poll

Wario Ware - too soon to be written off as shovelware. The original and Twisted were awesome.

Anyways, tough choice. Mario Galaxy's planet hopping looks like mondo fun, while Super Paper Mario's mashup of true, switchable 2.5d platforming and RPG mechanics, not to mention expansion upon the art style of the PM sub-series, looks irresistible.

jarrod

Banned
Metroid's not really in bad shape, as the original Metroid team at SPD1 is still relatively intact and has a nice little 32bit handheld to craft traditional Metroids alongside Retro's Prime big scale console affairs. NST's Hunters performed okay, but not nearly well enough to make it the new standard for handheld Metroid... it's tracking quite a bit behind Fusion.

The real crime is Wario though, with the Wario Land/Ware team at SPD2 gutted and them busy driving their Ware concept into the ground (6 Wares in 3 years, 7 if you count Tengoku... in comparison it took 8 years to get 5 Wario Lands). It's a real crime what's happened to Nintendo's best post-SNES platform team.

ziran

Super Mario Galaxy

imo no developer can match ead at their best.

i love intsys and old r&d1, they're responsible for many incredible games, but even they can't match ead on form. all my favourite development teams are within nintendo and personally, i'm happier with the games of these teams than i've been for years, using the structure shikamaru ninja has talked about.

ead has been refined to perfection! so many incredible teams creating so many amazing games :)

spd1's warioware games are brilliant (although touched is the weakest entry and could've been better if it wasn't rushed). twisted and rhythm tengoku are genius! stunning games which i still play now, even though i've completed them and smooth moves looks like it could be the best game in the series!

intelligent systems is stellar! fire emblem, advance wars and paper mario are consistently amazing and super paper mario looks awesome! they also help the warioware games with no doubt valuable contributions.

game freak is another amazing team. retro will hopefully fix the short comings of prime 2 and release another stunning game in corruption which lives up to the excellent original prime. task force development has created brilliant games in band bros. and brain training. hal is also a great team and i'm looking forward to playing pokémon ranger.

also, i think it's a mistake to assume every producer/director wants a huge team.

Oblivion

aurto511 said:
on a slightly different note, which game does GAF think will be the better out of ZeldaTP and SMG?

Sales wise? Or review wise?

I'm still of the opinion that SMG will be the better seller even if it comes out later than Zelda.

Oblivion

Was just browsin some stuff, and I found this. Didn't feel the need to make a thread about it, but thought it was interesting anyway:

MSNBC: How far along is Mario 128?

Miyamoto: (Laughing, even before his interpreter begins translating) That is actually just one of several experiments that I am working on right now. I just do not know if I am going to make a so-called Mario 128.

I actually kind of expected some reaction from the audience, but now that I have seen the strong reaction... It would take one year to complete Mario 128 or any project of that sort.

That was mentioned in Sep. of 2000... lol

Christ, it's scary to think that Shiggy was even for a moment doubting whether or not he would make another Mario game.

jarrod

Banned
ziran said:
imo no developer can match ead at their best.

i love intsys and old r&d1, they're responsible for many incredible games, but even they can't match ead on form.
I'd have to agree... though I'd also say overall that EAD doesn't come close to the high level on consistantcy that IntSys and RD1/SPD seem to effortlessly manage, especially recently. EAD at their best though (Yoshi's Island, Link's Awakening, F-Zero X, etc) is basically unparalleled.... but "their best" basically skipped last gen too.

aurto511

Oblivion said:
Sales wise? Or review wise?
i was thinkin review wise, cos zeldaTP is/will be great and all but the impressions of SMG are overwhemingly positive, not even a slightly negative feeling in sight. it feels like TP is evolutionary but SMG will be revolutionary.

jarrod

Banned
Mario Galaxy's going to outsell Twilight Princess in the end. But both will outsell Mario Kart and Smash Brawl.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'd have to agree... though I'd also say overall that EAD doesn't come close to the high level on consistantcy that IntSys and RD1/SPD seem to effortlessly manage, especially recently. EAD at their best though (Yoshi's Island, Link's Awakening, F-Zero X, etc) is basically unparalleled.... but "their best" basically skipped last gen too.

Again, is it a fair comparison. Int Syst and R&D1 have been developing the same type of games over and over unlike EAD. R&D1 at least created Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven which were new types of games.

But Int Sys nor SPD1 will ever be able to develop a blockbuster game like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. These two games are going to be awesome.

jarrod

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Again, is it a fair comparison. Int Syst and R&D1 have been developing the same type of games over and over unlike EAD. R&D1 at least created Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven which were new types of games.

But Int Sys nor SPD1 will ever be able to develop a blockbuster game like Super Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. These two games are going to be awesome.
Well sure, both IntSys and RD1 seems to be perfectling formulas moreso (Wars/Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, 2D Metroid, Wario Ware/Tengoku, etc) but brilliance had to strike at least once. Panel de Pon or the first Paper Mario/Fire Emblem being solid examples for InSys, and RD1 had tons of creative efforts pre-NES and during the NES days, plus recently Wario Ware. I'd say the reason we see lots of tuned sequels from these developers though chiefly is that (unlike EAD) they don't have massive resources to pour into each and every release. They literally can't build "from the ground up" each time, because they don't have huge budgets and 150+ staff.

It's not like EAD doesn't recycle elements either, though their sequels do have more of a "from the ground up" feeling. But really, half EAD's N64 output was arcade racers... it's not like they're too often venturing outside their safer geners... EAD's "failures" don't often stem from risk taking formulas I'd say...

jarrod said:
Metroid's not really in bad shape, as the original Metroid team at SPD1 is still relatively intact and has a nice little 32bit handheld to craft traditional Metroids alongside Retro's Prime big scale console affairs. NST's Hunters performed okay, but not nearly well enough to make it the new standard for handheld Metroid... it's tracking quite a bit behind Fusion.

The real crime is Wario though, with the Wario Land/Ware team at SPD2 gutted and them busy driving their Ware concept into the ground (6 Wares in 3 years, 7 if you count Tengoku... in comparison it took 8 years to get 5 Wario Lands). It's a real crime what's happened to Nintendo's best post-SNES platform team.

I'm not sure of the breakdown of the rest of the team(s) but you do know Yoshio Sakamoto is one of the higher ups working on both of these series right? And i don't particularly think they'er driving the Ware concept into the ground, considering each new one takes significant advantage of a hardware feature or similar.

aurto511 said:
on a slightly different note, which game does GAF think will be the better out of ZeldaTP and SMG?

Considering they're not the same genre and are very different gameplay wise, I think they'll be on the same footing. As for the better sales, my gut instinct says SMG but if Zelda:TP takes off, that's a different story.

Overall, SMG will be the better game. Utilizing the controller in different ways and it'll be at least 3 times longer than SPM. In some ways, instead of SPM, I think they should create Super Mario Brothers 4 or something. Hours of entertainment that cant be compared.

jarrod

Banned
the androgyne said:
I'm not sure of the breakdown of the rest of the team(s) but you do know Yoshio Sakamoto is one of the higher ups working on both of these series right? And i don't particularly think they'er driving the Ware concept into the ground, considering each new one takes significant advantage of a hardware feature or similar.
Sakamoto is basically the final lead left from RD1 from what I understand.

And while the Wares tend to use featuresets fairly well (or add them entirely in Twisted's case), 7 games in 3 years is definitely overkill I'd say. Wario Land never had it so good (and it actually sold just as well).

Rocked

Super Mario Galaxy by far.

Yes, Super Paper Mario has a fantastic art direction, but the platforming sections in the Paper Mario game were kind of mediocre and who wants stats/menus in a platformer? I hope it has a different engine to the normal Paper Mario games, but it doesn't look like it from the video.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Panel de Pon or the first Paper Mario/Fire Emblem being solid examples for InSys,

Hitoshi Yamagami, the father of puzzles at Nintendo, worked and created the Nintendo version of Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's Cookie. Was one of the concept creators of Panel De Pon.

Yamagami is now in charge of SPD2 who developed Mahjong and Tetris for DS.

Don't get me wrong. I like both developers, especially Yoshio Sakamoto. But EAD's teams have the single most important franchises and Nintendo talent out there. Katsuya Eguchi, Eiji Aonuma, Hideki Konno. The ancient Miyamoto PR dragon overshadows them, but you got the director of Metroid 2 developing Big Brain Academy Wii and New Super Mario Bros 2 under the EAD label. You got Eiji Aonuma developing a Wii and DS Zelda title. You got Shimizu and Koizumi with the rest of the Mario Sunshine team and former UGA developers working on Mario Galaxy in Tokyo, you got the director of Star Fox and Wave Race 64 working on Wii Sports, Wii Music, and Animal Crossing Wii..

Need I go on????

Back on topic.

Not that i don't agree with the rest of your post but..

Shikamaru Ninja said:
New Super Mario Bros 2

Did you just make that up? I'm hoping just as much as the next guy but lets wait for some confirmation here!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nah just a smart guess. New Super Mario Bros 2. That team makes nothing but 2D games. When they ran out of Mario Ports, they finally developed NSMB. So I mean logically, what could be next.

puck1337

Galaxy without a doubt. Paper Mario is great, but I don't think it'll provide the platforming that I want. A true 2D Mario game would take the cake.

jarrod

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Nah just a smart guess. New Super Mario Bros 2. That team makes nothing but 2D games. When they ran out of Mario Ports, they finally developed NSMB. So I mean logically, what could be next.
They've also handled the non-Capcom handheld Zeldas (LA DX & ALTTP DX)... could they be helping out on Phantom Hourglass? Or is that purely the FSA team?

jarrod

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
Isn't the Wario Thief game being developed by Suzak? Or am I remembering wrong/was the info wrong
Probably co-developed between SPD2 and Suzak... similar to SPD2 and IntSys on various Wario Wares and Dr Mario + Puzzle League.

What is SPD2?

Does anyone think that NST will live up to the Japan equivelant. I thought I was a Nintendo nerd, but you guys know everything. I only new a few of those poeple, I didn't think they all ran seperate teams. Its a shame that Miyamoto gets all the credit for everything. I mean he isn't even working on anything right? The last game I heard he make was Nintendogs.

And Another thing will we ever get Rhythm Tengoku and the Bit generations, in the rest of the World. I am in the UK so I really want it in Europe. Also there was a rumor a while back for a Mother 1,2 and 3 port on GBA. So maybe the 2D team are working on that rather than NSMB2.

I think no more Mario games for at least 4 years now. We have had Mario strikers, M vs DK2, YMFI2, NSMB, SPM, SMG, M Strikers Wii etc etc. Its all good, but a large rest would do nothing but good for everyone right now.

ziran

the thoroughbred said:
What is SPD2?

Does anyone think that NST will live up to the Japan equivelant. I thought I was a Nintendo nerd, but you guys know everything. I only new a few of those poeple, I didn't think they all ran seperate teams. Its a shame that Miyamoto gets all the credit for everything. I mean he isn't even working on anything right? The last game I heard he make was Nintendogs.
spd2 is special projects development group 2, an internal nintendo development team, which used to be part of r&d1 i think.

shikamaru ninja provides a good amount of info on the inner workings of nintendo. if you look through some of threads he's made he's written about the newly restructured nintendo teams. here's a recent one showing the ncl structure:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104923

from what i understand, during the n64 nintendo realised they needed to expand and reorganise their internal teams and nurture new talented producers and directors. over the last several years they've been doing this and they're now sorted and in a very productive position.

the thoroughbred said:
And Another thing will we ever get Rhythm Tengoku and the Bit generations, in the rest of the World. I am in the UK so I really want it in Europe. Also there was a rumor a while back for a Mother 1,2 and 3 port on GBA. So maybe the 2D team are working on that rather than NSMB2.

I think no more Mario games for at least 4 years now. We have had Mario strikers, M vs DK2, YMFI2, NSMB, SPM, SMG, M Strikers Wii etc etc. Its all good, but a large rest would do nothing but good for everyone right now.
i think bit generations is coming to na so it may come to europe eventually. rhythm tengoku has been a big hit in japan so could be localised, though nothing has been confirmed afaik. not sure about mother.

jarrod said:
Mario Galaxy's going to outsell Twilight Princess in the end. But both will outsell Mario Kart and Smash Brawl.
Mario Kart, probably, but I honestly believe that neither of those titles will top brawl.

They would be hard pressed to at the very least.

Top Bottom