• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point Xbox Series X games better blow everyone's minds!

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's an "in-engine trailer" on an engine the game isn't going to use.
Um you guys do realize that the trailer for HBII is the target visual for the actual game, right? It'll look pretty damn close to what we saw in the trailer. Look what they did with 20 people and small budget ffs

sircaw

Banned
Neither of those are real time. There's just too much happening on the screen to make sense from a logistics point of view.
The Senhua one is even less believable.

Well the hell are you talking about, That horizon image is 16 k res and 480 fps and IN REAL TIME.
I got inside sources. Hp, Heinz etc. :messenger_winking:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Well the hell are you talking about, That horizon image is 16 k res and 480 fps and IN REAL TIME.
I got inside sources. Hp, Heinz etc. :messenger_winking:
The difference is Horizon was captured from a native PS5 output and rendered in real time.
Senua was nothing. It could've been rendered by a 2080Ti at 2fps and sped up for all we know.

sircaw

Banned
The difference is Horizon was captured from a native PS5 output and rendered in real time.
Senua was nothing. It could've been rendered by a 2080Ti at 2fps and sped up for all we know.

Horizon zero dawn 2, its a thing of rare beauty, one of my most anticipated titles, mind you, theirs loads of people in the same boat.

Tulipanzo

you are forgetting that ms already is developing all of their games for pc, shit loads of the pc configurations are taken into consideration already. It doesn’t seem massively challenging to add load screens to the old gen version if you‘ve planned to release cross gen from the very beginning of the dev process (just to be clear, this is made up example). in addition, when you think about it, the smart delivery makes more sense, and might explain why ms is featuring it so much.
You're forgetting that X1 is actually worse than anything you can buy on PC in terms of CPU.
It would require whole additional bespoke work.

Smart Delivery works exactly the same for Sony, so I don't see a major need here, they could just upgrade pre-existing games.

As an aside, PC specs are more flexible, as MS could just increase requirements if needed (which is what KJ did with Death Stranding).

TheAssist

I expect the new Halo to blow peoples minds.

We have 2 in engine trailers of this game. Did those blow anyones minds yet? Because that how that game is gonna look like. Even it was One X footage, Series X will add more frames, higher res and maybe some Rt which will only be noticeable on highly reflective surfaces.
Other than that its gonna be a first person shooter in space. Maybe they actually do have some groundbreaking gameplay features. However I think that this game (like most launch titles) will retain its traditional mechanics and try to polish those while delivering some sort of online experience that halo has not tried before.
But I really dont think that the actual gameplay will be new or that the graphics are going to blow anyone anywhere.

It will be a very solid, very polished shooter with hopefully a lot of content from day so people who the series X have something to put many hours in. Its "just" gonna be a really well made game, not a revolutionary one.

Tulipanzo

Bad aliens the MC has to kill is all I need as an excuse to play a great Halo game. I hope they focus on the gameplay, the enemies, the scale and the level design. Then the game can go back to the 90+ Metacritic.

I want the new Halo to be
Fun,
Addictive
Impressive
Challenging
Immersive
I'm not enough of an expert to say why Halo 5 reviewed the way it did, I know Halo 4 was rather dull on the story front.
Still, my problem with Infinite has mainly been its marketing, especially the second trailer (the first one was fun as a teaser), and the project seeming troubled late last year.

Like why? There wasn't anything mind-blowing from the sony event.

Just expect XSX games to run at higher resolutions/framerates and better Ray Tracing

Is the MS July event going to show XSX that look a gen above the games at Sony's event? Of course not. I do expect Halo Infinite, Playgrounds new Fable, Hellblade2, The Initiatives new project, next FMS to be amazing looking.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Um you guys do realize that the trailer for HBII is the target visual for the actual game, right? It'll look pretty damn close to what we saw in the trailer. Look what they did with 20 people and small budget ffs
It's actually not a target, that was an assumption from the old Gamespot interview with Spencer; it's "representative" of next-gen improvements.

I mantain, it was the right trailer for the right time, but it hasn't aged that well as more info has been coming out about it.
The game ran at sub-4K at 24fps, far from playable; it was "representative" "in-engine footage"; they aren't going to use Unreal 4 anyway; the game is really far out.
It's rather nice, but heralding as the bastion of next-gen is questionable.

Jesus_PaintingNEW_293150090.jpeg

Whenever I think of downgrades this image comes to mind.

tenor.gif

That's optimization for you.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Like why? There wasn't anything mind-blowing from the sony event.

Just expect XSX games to run at higher resolutions/framerates and better Ray Tracing

Is the MS July event going to show XSX that look a gen above the games at Sony's event? Of course not.
Sony had 9 first party exclusives shown pretty far along, plenty of varied third parties and indies, pretty much 100% in 4K and a show that legitimate was quality (and not webcams!).
It was the most watched gaming event on Youtube, and it's stats were far more impressive than what MS showed.

It's perfectly legitimate to wonder how they'll address us next month, and hoping for a really good show.
The "same" as a show you described as "not mind-blowing" at higher res (8K? lol) and fps would be a massive disappointment.

Sony had 9 first party exclusives shown pretty far along, plenty of varied third parties and indies, pretty much 100% in 4K and a show that legitimate was quality (and not webcams!).
It was the most watched gaming event on Youtube, and it's stats were far more impressive than what MS showed.

It's perfectly legitimate to wonder how they'll address us next month, and hoping for a really good show.
The "same" as a show you described as "not mind-blowing" at higher res (8K? lol) and fps would be a massive disappointment.

Nothing you just said addressed what I said. Again, nothing was mind-blowing about what Sony showed off. How many viewers has nothing to do with my statement.

And I said higher resolution,framerate, and raytracing. ALL are equally important and are advantages XSX will have.

Halo 6 needs a hype story, that's all. The gameplay of Halo 5 is fantastic, there's little to improve on there. Level design is in need of improvement, less samey corridors, more varied locations. I personally hope Halo Infinite is the start of a multi-game epic story, ideally a trilogy. Only problem is that Halo has so few memorable characters that it's hard to make players care for anyone. If I were MS, I'd have Infinite be the start, then create an ambitious Halo-spin off WRPG that plays like Mass Effect and focuses on story, lore and characters. Then follow it up with Halo 7 that concludes the story arc.

I think I mentioned it before, but MS needs more franchises with likeable, memorable characters that aren't dudebros or otherwise killer machines. It's one of Sony's biggest adventage (although they're just better at hiding their killer machines, see Nathan, Ellie and Alloy).

My hopes for MS's nextgen lineup:

- Halo Infinite
- Gears 6 (pls do something new, 5 was really by the numbers, bleh)
- Fable (although I'm not interested if it's full of silly british humor ...)
- Quantum Break-equivalent, but no live-action pls
- True Fantasy Live Online (adjusted to 2020-expectations ofc, have it be the first MMORPG that *truly* captures the feeling of all those mmorpg-anime!)
- Spore Alpha (collab with EA, Will Wright making a new Spore-game based on the first E3-presentation of Spore, now extended to a literal, impressive life simulation that's nothing like the shallow, cartoony shit we got before. It's basically Spore meets Dreams)
- Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball SeX (exclusive version with a budget for true nextgen visuals. Makes you wipe your screen twice a day, minimum)
- the megaton surprise-game: A story-focused RPG set in modern day times that borrows from both W- and JRPGs! You play a 30something worker, some disillusioned, scrawny guy, not some tough guy. But one day he can't do all that meaningless shit anymore and he starts fighting the system. Except it all happens in dramatic jrpg manner, turn-based battles, dialogue options that allow for multiple outcomes of a situation, and you get to persue several main goals, like "finding the meaning of life" or "becoming your boss' boss" and such. The content will sound like the most mundane stuff when you read about it, but it's presented with super dramatic cutscenes, music and voice-acting. "Don't you EVER TOUCH MY YOGHURT AGAIN, FRANK (co-worker)!"
- a WRPG that's not based on combat and numbers, but on writing in the vein of classic Dungeons and Dragons/Dark Eye-novels. No, not writing as in "player must read a lot", but create a world that's incredibly reactive to the player's ideas. You can't just try/evaluate every possible interaction, instead the game will notice what you try to do any instantly react to it. For example you need to enter a wooden door at the bottom of an old stone tower. It's closed with a big, heavy lock. You pull a bit, but it's firm. Now you could look for something to break the lock. The lock would repel your attack and start shouting (yes, you find out it can talk!) at you, "how dare you, boy!" And from there, you're given a hard task, because the lock holds a grudge against you now. Or you could have not done that and sat down next to the door, dialogue options appearing that say "if only someone told me ..." and "this stupid lock ..." and "sigh ...". If you choose option 1, a pretty, mysterious girl comes by. Option 2 will have the lock react. Option 3 causes an old memory to flash before your inner eyes and gives you a hint for something. It's hard to describe that game, but I'd want it to have the atmosphere of a fantasy story like the movie "The Last Unicorn", think of the magician Schmendrick. And now I'll stop, because I'm already being oddly specific about this game hope/idea

MS needs to escape the violent dudebro lineup. More whimsy stuff.

Jesb

Wait....I thought all 1st party games ARE day one on gamepass ultimate? Is that not the case?

Did they ? That’s huge if true. PS5 looks great but gonna be way more expensive to get the games you want. This is an easier entry into nextgen.

Wait....I thought all 1st party games ARE day one on gamepass ultimate? Is that not the case?

Thats already the case and has been for a while now. All 1st party games launch on gamepass same day as the physical and digital ones.

so technically, you can buy an XSX at launch, sub to gamepass for a month and you get all the first party stuff like Halo infinite without having to spend a dime on a game.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Nothing you just said addressed what I said. Again, nothing was mind-blowing about what Sony showed off. How many viewers has nothing to do with my statement.

And I said higher resolution,framerate, and raytracing. ALL are equally important and are advantages XSX will have.
Your assessment of the Sony show is out of step with reality; regardless of how you felt, it was incredibly well received.

Furthermore, I don't see how you'd be satisfied by the same level of show as one you were left disappointed by, but with better res/fps/RT.
Unless you also expect the XBox showing to be mediocre.

Last edited:

pasterpl

only 3 were actual AAA games

Tulipanzo

only 3 were actual AAA games
What constitutes AAA is very subjective, but even through the most selective of lenses at least 5 were what most would consider AAA.

Doesn't change how well received the reveal was, which is what MS will be responding to.

Ive got news for you, most of what sony showed were "timed" exclusives other than the obvious Spiderman, Horizon, GT etc. I know cause i was curious about certain games and i googled it.

What MS showed in may, and this was even said by them multiple times, were games that they did not have time to show in the july show. It was never supposed to be the "big guns" show.

Sony show were its "big guns". MSs show wasnt. Thats the difference.

pasterpl

Your assessment of the Sony show is out of step with reality; regardless of how you felt, it was incredibly well received.

Furthermore, I don't see how you'd be satisfied by the same level of show as one you were left disappointed by, but with better res/fps/RT.
Unless you also expect the XBox showing to be mediocre.

yes, gta5, bugsnax, sackboy, astrobot...real killers, then gameplay from R&C and no gameplay from other AAA exclusives, MS show, while 3rd party, showed some new IPs and variety of genres (still barely any gameplay)

Oh forgot about gt7, that will be probably released around 2025 and will look like gt Sport with rt

What constitutes AAA is very subjective, but even through the most selective of lenses at least 5 were what most would consider AAA.

Doesn't change how well received the reveal was, which is what MS will be responding to.

out of Sony 1st party exclusives, unless you also including remasters (lol)

it is usually budget (and with that size of the team) that make a game AAA (Not all AAA games are made equal)

Vasto

It was not well received. It was average and if you look at the threads where people were talking about the conference while it was going on you will see that. Also look at the threads where people was asked to rate the show. The only thing that saved the show from being horrible was they showed the actual PS5 system.

Tulipanzo

yes, gta5, bugsnax, sackboy, astrobot...real killers, then gameplay from R&C and no gameplay from other AAA exclusives, MS show, while 3rd party, showed some new IPs and variety of genres (still barely any gameplay)

Oh forgot about gt7, that will be probably released around 2025 and will look like gt Sport with rt
To go with the theme, you're not actually replying to what I said.
Regardless of how you felt about the show, and it was by no means perfect, it was really well received.
You can pretend July's show will exist in a vacuum, but people are going to compare.

Besides, I question the gaming knowledge of somebody who would dismiss most games in the show outright.
Notice I never dissed the May show, but my major problem with it wouldn't have been the selection, but the poor quality of the showing overall (devs were reportedly given too little time to prepare).

out of Sony 1st party exclusives, unless you also including remasters (lol)

it is usually budget (and with that size of the team) that make a game AAA (Not all AAA games are made equal)
Yes, exactly 5, by the most stringent of assessments. You still haven't explained what 3 you think qualify, but it barely matters as I explained above

Leyasu

Banned
Lets be real here. Even if Microsoft announced that they had bought all of sonys studios and their "exclusives" were now microsoft exclusives, the majority of people in this thread would bend themselves into human pretzels justifying why their former favourite games were now shit.

Ain't kidding anyone.

Sonys show had games landing where I expected them to. Launch window games tend to be like that. Microsofts July show will have the exact same thing... Launch window games.

All this fucking nonsense about "next-gen" gameplay is exactly that. Unless of course, every game now has to have teleportation to qualify as next gen because it uses the SSD. Sifting through the fanboy shit in the sony or xbox threads on this forum is a chore. Where are the dedicated sony and microsoft next gen/studios threads like the other place. It would be easier to neutralise the derailers to

Tulipanzo

It was not well received. It was average and if you look at the threads where people were talking about the conference while it was going on you will see that. Also look at the threads where people was asked to rate the show. The only thing that saved the show from being horrible was they showed the actual PS5 system.
It was the most watched gaming event on Youtube ever lol
The event itself has an incredibly good like/dislike ratio, while MS's May event by comparison is close to 50/50.
In stats, the hardware reveal over doubled the XSX's in less than a week, and several Sony first party are already surpassing the Infinite trailer numbers.

Point being, regardless of what "Gaf thinks" (edit: and I was posting here then jfc), the event was really well received, This is an incredibly dumb hill to die on, as I'm not even suggesting MS's couldn't have a good event.
IMO, trying to paint the PS5 reveal as mid, seems it's to prevent the July event from potentially looking too disappointing.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Lets be real here. Even if Microsoft announced that they had bought all of sonys studios and their "exclusives" were now microsoft exclusives, the majority of people in this thread would bend themselves into human pretzels justifying why their former favourite games were now shit.

Ain't kidding anyone.

Sonys show had games landing where I expected them to. Launch window games tend to be like that. Microsofts July show will have the exact same thing... Launch window games.

All this fucking nonsense about "next-gen" gameplay is exactly that. Unless of course, every game now has to have teleportation to qualify as next gen because it uses the SSD. Sifting through the fanboy shit in the sony or xbox threads on this forum is a chore. Where are the dedicated sony and microsoft next gen/studios threads like the other place. It would be easier to neutralise the derailers to
I like your theory that everyone hates the box you like for no reason and nothing will ever change, but here's my idea:

"People legitimately want to speculate what MS does in July, and their last event disappointed so not everyone is as positive"

Leyasu

Banned
I like your theory that everyone hates the box you like for no reason and nothing will ever change, but here's my idea:

"People legitimately want to speculate what MS does in July, and their last event disappointed so not everyone is as positive"
Their may event should never have been hyped.

But, lets not pretend that fanboys from both sides don't stricken threads.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

There july event should never have been hyped.

But, lets not pretend that fanboys from both sides stricken threads.
The July one? That's pessimistic

Posting that everyone will always shit on XBox no matter what is just more fanboyism.

MurfHey

Man the comments are full of nothing but fan boys yelling at each-other. Lets just be happy we get to experience next gen! Reguardless of your console of choice. Just stop with this fan boy attitude. Games will both look and run amazing on both systems. Who cares if you play on one with inline thumbsticks and who cares if i play on one with offset thumbsticks. They both are going to be amazing, so lets stop with the playground mentality and just enjoy the games!

SSfox

If only MS deliver great games as much as they talk, Sony would finally have a solid competitor.

But y'know, it is what it is i guess, gotcha.

See you in July anyways.

Last edited:

Vasto

It was the most watched gaming event on Youtube ever lol
The event itself has an incredibly good like/dislike ratio, while MS's May event by comparison is close to 50/50.
In stats, the hardware reveal over doubled the XSX's in less than a week, and several Sony first party are already surpassing the Infinite trailer numbers.

Point being, regardless of what "Gaf thinks" (edit: and I was posting here then jfc), the event was really well received, This is an incredibly dumb hill to die on, as I'm not even suggesting MS's couldn't have a good event.
IMO, trying to paint the PS5 reveal as mid, seems it's to prevent the July event from potentially looking too disappointing.

Regardless of what Gaf thinks? We are on NeoGaf!

The event got a 7 out of 10.

Next month we will get the real next gen conference from the real next gen console. See you then! :messenger_sunglasses:

Leyasu

Banned
The July one? That's pessimistic

Posting that everyone will always shit on XBox no matter what is just more fanboyism.
Wow, my post that you quoted hurts to read. I will edit it.

No, it is not more fanboyism, it is how it is. How people can post wit a straight face is beyond me

I mean, Halo Infinite, Everwild and Hellblade 2 already look absolutely incredible from the limited looks we have had at those games. I have to imagine that Halo Infinite and Everwild will not really achieve the levels of fidelity that Horizon Forbidden West has simply because the Xbox games will be targeting 60fps and Horizon will be targeting 30 (most likely). Most importantly though, we are still yet to see any gameplay for any of the games mentioned, only in engine cutscenes.

But honestly? If Halo Infinite looks as good as the two trailers we have already seen while playing at 60fps, I will be more than happy with that.

And really, they have some of the best talent in Unreal Engine with The Coalition and Ninja Theory, and I have no doubt that talent will also help Playground and The Initiative deliver some fantastic looking game trailers next month

I don't think they have to show all their cards like I thought they would since Sony's showing was good not superb. A meaty gameplay demo of Halo, some hellblade 2 gameplay, fable teaser and the initiative teaser should be more than enough. They can show outerwolds dlc. If they show everything it'll be a bit of overkill, but maybe that's what they need to people who aren't day 1 like me.
I don't think Hellblade 2 is ready to be shown. I will be surprised if it the games has reached production state.

Tulipanzo

Regardless of what Gaf thinks? We are on NeoGaf!

The event got a 7 out of 10.

Next month we will get the real next gen conference from the real next gen console. See you then! :messenger_sunglasses:
So, I have to question your math skills, I guess.
485 is an absolutely paltry data set, and still the majority rated it a 7 or above, with most people rating it an 8.

I'm new to this forum, so I still have to clock who's talking nonsense to avoid facing the music.
If this is your opinion of Sony's marketing, I shudder to think what you'll say of MS's both less popular and less well received events...

PS: I'm still looking forward to July, so I don't get what you're implying?

ZywyPL

Banned
It would be a dope move if MS stream was 1080p60, showing actual gameplays, and at the end saying everything you just saw was running on Xbox Series S, available this holiday for 199/249$.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thats already the case and has been for a while now. All 1st party games launch on gamepass same day as the physical and digital ones.

so technically, you can buy an XSX at launch, sub to gamepass for a month and you get all the first party stuff like Halo infinite without having to spend a dime on a game.
Those first party games are also on PC which I can play without having to get the console. I have been doing that for a while now with the OneX. I just download those first party games as they are released. Are there any OneX games that I am missing out on IE they are not available on PC?

Halo has never been a pretty game graphically, it's all about the AI and the balance of the gunfights, I've never been a fan because lazer guns always just put me off, but that's just the facts, it's not a graphical showcase for MS.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
SPiderman on PS4 Pro, Photomode during gameplay context (no cinematic)

43654350895_e520405ad0_k.jpg

42754651540_d85d7c5705_k.jpg

44563124192_229bc40c58_k.jpg

44539859541_bcefeb91ec_k.jpg

30712054388_f8ee5c2299_k.jpg

43630634425_42ce2d8382_k.jpg

44574163152_86bd029538_k.jpg

That cool nice pictures. I will judge when I seeing behind spiderman's back with a hud while in motion and looking at the physics, lighting, shadows, textures of the world and enemies, abundance of enemies, particle and volumetric effects, etc

Last edited:

dr guildo

With regard to the... weird... hellblade comparison above:

Hellblade:
Release date: 8 August 2017
Dev time: 3 years
Dev staff: Created by a small team of just 20 people
Budget: $10 million

TLOUS2:
Release date: 19th June 2020
Dev Time: 6 years
Dev Staff: 316 people
Budget: "cost Sony at least $100 million to make, if not even more"

I mean... Come on guys. Not only is Hellblade 3 years older, but for the small budget and small dev time, coupled with short turn around, its not exactly a HUGE difference. TLOUS2 is the second best looking game of the gen for me (RDR2 first due to the fact its open world and still nearly as good upclose), but you can't compare the two like that.

I agree. In Hellblade's defense :

HB = AA
TLOU2 = AAA

Last edited:

dr guildo

Show some Halo and Hellblade and Xbox wons. If people still say that Sony did better because of more games, they're just acting dumb

Also, if some game of past gen is going to launch it too, do a short montage of all of those, not like five minutes of GTA V at the start of a fucking next gen console

Do you think metacritic doesn't count anymore ?

Top Bottom