• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

It's almost silent next to my cpu fan, and two system fans. I hear it slightly when stressing it out, but that's it. No overclocking as of yet.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Awesome pics :lol

I'm seriously thinking about a full upgrade on my system .. argh! Looks like my e7200 could be a slight bottleneck for my 4850 at the moment /cry.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TouchMyBox said:
240_1252.jpg

You have 1600 shader processors, 80 texture units, 32 ROPs, and you can print money too?!
Chad Wardenn of Canada! :lol

So I overclocked it to the maximum amount that the CCC would allow, booted up Crysis Warhead's Shoreleave level in dx9, with all gamer settings w/ enthusiast shaders. The frame-counter spent most of it's time at 60.... This thing is a beast. Now that it's overclocked, I can hear it while gaming, but it's definitely at an acceptable level.

I can only imagine how happy I'll be with it if ATI manages to squeeze any more performance out of it with driver updates (the drivers which came with it are a modified version of 9.8, i tried downloading 9.9 and it doesn't support it)

RavenFox

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
So I overclocked it to the maximum amount that the CCC would allow, booted up Crysis Warhead's Shoreleave level in dx9, with all gamer settings w/ enthusiast shaders. The frame-counter spent most of it's time at 60.... This thing is a beast. Now that it's overclocked, I can hear it while gaming, but it's definitely at an acceptable level.

I can only imagine how happy I'll be with it if ATI manages to squeeze any more performance out of it with driver updates (the drivers which came with it are a modified version of 9.8, i tried downloading 9.9 and it doesn't support it)
Im impressed. Well done and you have made up my mind. ATI it is for me.

edit:HIS HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card Unboxing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNFkENcaJV4&feature=sdig&et=1253905725.28

Xavien

All this has just convinced me even more that I'm gonna get one, but I'm waiting for the Vapor-X version (maybe vapor-X 5870X2), because i can't stand noise.

The fact that i don't even have any fans on my 8800GT's (just a really good heatpipe & heatsink aftermarket solution) alone proves that i really really don't like shitty fans that whir all the time.

spazzfish

ToddG15 said:
Slightly OT but I'm looking for a recommendation of the 5850 or 5870. The price difference isn't a huge deal or me, as I tend to keep a graphics card for a while, I'm more trying to figure out if I'll be bottlenecking my system with my current setup.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'ed to 3.6Ghz
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM
ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo

I realize the difference between the two cards is +/- 15%, so not a huge difference either way. Picking up either card, am I going to be bottlenecking my system substantially? Go for the 5850 or 5870?

You'll be more then fine running a 5870 on that setup @ 1920*1080.

Celcius

°Temp. member
5870 seems like a nice card, but I'm wondering how long it'll be before they announce a 5890, and 5870x2, or a 2gb version...

Jube3

vocelcius said:
5870 seems like a nice card, but I'm wondering how long it'll be before they announce a 5890, and 5870x2, or a 2gb version...
The 2gb and x2 (this you can see in the post above) versions were already announced I believe.

dave_d

Wow, I knew it took 2 slots but watching that unboxing I finally noticed it has 2 6-pin power connectors. (Ok, so I don't notice stuff sometimes immediately.) Oh well, has ATI or NVidia announced a single slot single 6-pin solution yet?

Wag

bee said:
lol length

317dx0z.jpg

better coolers

1t7xqs.jpg
Well it won't fit in my case and probably most people's cases's out there. You need an E-ATX case for that for sure. Does that even make sense for them to do that? If nvidia puts out a GT300x2 at the same size of their biggest cards today I think there is the potential for them to win this round.

jesus. i was able to move my HDD case mount over and i should have ohh about 5 or 6 more inches to play with. i'm still not sure this thing will fit :lol

Wag

I don't understand their thinking. I know this is the reference design, but since most graphics card companies just build right off that so we'll see pretty much exactly a 5870x2 come to market- but...who'll buy it?!?! In the beginning it will sell out, but the average gamer won't buy it because they obviously can't use it- and even people like me who own cards like a GTX295 and was considering it can't use the thing either. The thing is, I don't consider myself "an averager gamer" and I still can't fit a card of that length in my case.

Sigh...:(

I would prefer a bigger girth than length...

But seriously maybe card manufacturers should consider making them fatter rather than longer.

The size is fine, anybody in the market for absolute bleeding edge GPUs has to have a full tower and/or be handy with a rotary tool.

Dennis

Banned
I don't care what size the cards are just give me moar grafix!
If the prize of progress is larger cases then so be it.

bee

full tower is definitely the way to go, had my Lian Li PC-A71 for 18 months or so now and i couldn't go back, will easily fit but i won't be buying one, need to buy a 120hz monitor asap hopefully the Asus VG242H launches soon and i may aswell go 3d at the same time

MickeyKnox said:
The size is fine, anybody in the market for absolute bleeding edge GPUs has to have a full tower and/or be handy with a rotary tool.

Pretty much, besides these things look bigger in these pictures than in reality (for me at least). I was concerned about the length of the 5870 when i bought it, and it turned out to be only a little longer than my 8800gt. :\

bee said:
full tower is definitely the way to go, had my Lian Li PC-A71 for 18 months or so now and i couldn't go back, will easily fit but i won't be buying one, need to buy a 120hz monitor asap hopefully the Asus VG242H launches soon and i may aswell go 3d at the same time

You have good taste, my friend. Lian Li is the shit.

Wag

MickeyKnox said:
Oh really? So I'm the exception to that? You think the GTX295 isn't a popular card for no reason?

Personally I'd rather not have to spend the extra money, time and effort to remove everything from my tower, spend $130 for a new full sized one like the HAF 932, then move everything over. I'm just not going to going to bother until I'm ready to upgrade my whole setup- my tower is a pretty good one as it is now. If ATI had more sense and used sandwich type cards for their dual-gpu cards like nvidia did for their first batch, rather then this insanely long card we wouldn't be seeing all this bitching- and be prepared- this is just the beginning.

I don't expect their current iteration of the 5870x2 to sell well, and eventually they will have to introduce a shorter version.

They do have a shorter version, it's called the 5870, and if that's still too large, there's the 5850. It's not like you're compromising on performance on these cards, they're all beasts. the x2 cards are and always will be for the top tier of enthusiasts, and those people make sure they have the room not only for huge graphics cards, but for 10 fans, watercooling and their RAID 0 array.

artist

Banned
Wag said:
Oh really? So I'm the exception to that? You think the GTX295 isn't a popular card for no reason?

Personally I'd rather not have to spend the extra money, time and effort to remove everything from my tower, spend $130 for a new full sized one like the HAF 932, then move everything over. I'm just not going to going to bother until I'm ready to upgrade my whole setup- my tower is a pretty good one as it is now. If ATI had more sense and used sandwich type cards for their dual-gpu cards like nvidia did for their first batch, rather then this insanely long card we wouldn't be seeing all this bitching- and be prepared- this is just the beginning.

I don't expect their current iteration of the 5870x2 to sell well, and eventually they will have to introduce a shorter version.
Clearly you dont know shit. Regardless of the length (5870X2) will still fit in a normal ATX case and will all the standard requirements.

As for sandwich versus single PCB design, wonder why Nvidia finally switched to the latter .. hmm .. its because it lowers costs, ultimately to the consumer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
irfan said:
Clearly you dont know shit. Regardless of the length (5870X2) will still fit in a normal ATX case and will all the standard requirements.

As for sandwich versus single PCB design, wonder why Nvidia finally switched to the latter .. hmm .. its because it lowers costs, ultimately to the consumer.
You have to qualify that, because not every ATX case is built the same. I have ATX cases where the 4850 barely fits.

Wag

My GTX295 barely fits in my ATX case as well. I had to sort of wedge it in there and the power cables of the harddrives rest right up against the plugs of videocard. I can't get any bigger than that in my current case. It has a modular harddrive setup that I really like.

pestul

Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.

601AE_layout.jpg

JudgeN

Shit think I might SOL with my antec 300 case the 4870 leaves me with about an inch of space left before I hit the hard drive bay.

vesp

Dying to know if you can cram a 5850 or 5870 into a Shuttle G chasis or not. Really thinking about finally putting together a 1080p HTPC w/ Decent Gaming compatibilities. My guess is theyll probably fit into that new i7 one, but $600 is way too much for a barebones.

Might be time to give up on shuttle and just go the matx route, but that's more expensive than most of the prebuilt previous generation shuttles, but seemingly a bit cheaper for x58 architecture.

Minsc

Gold Member
The 5870 will fit in my mATX case, with plenty of room to spare, you don't need a full tower for it :D

jd196 said:
I think it's been confirmed at 11 inches.

I read on one review it measure a little over 11.1 to be exact, so I'd figure 11 1/4" to be safe.

im thiniking of getting a new desktop amd based with the phenom x4 965 with a nine hundred antec case, i wonder if this beast will fit.

Xavien

I knew there was a reason i invested in a Coolermaster Stacker case :lol

its so big that it can fit that card and probably have 6-7 inches to spare.

I don't know if they still make them though, because its a kick-ass case.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wag said:
My GTX295 barely fits in my ATX case as well. I had to sort of wedge it in there and the power cables of the harddrives rest right up against the plugs of videocard. I can't get any bigger than that in my current case. It has a modular harddrive setup that I really like.
What kind of small as fuck ATX do you have? I have a GTX295 and I definitely have extra room. Also, using the sandwhich dual PCB mode adds over 70 dollars to productions costs.

Bluemercury said:
im thiniking of getting a new desktop amd based with the phenom x4 965 with a nine hundred antec case, i wonder if this beast will fit.
It will. I used to have that case and a 4870x2 would fit with about an inch to spare. Worst case you will have to remove the drive bay.

Minsc said:
I read on one review it measure a little over 11.1 to be exact, so I'd figure 11 1/4" to be safe.

Joy. shouldn't be any issue than. But the fact that it's got power outlets on the side is a little concern, the 6pin plugs stick out a little bit. but like i said

I'LL MAKE IT FIT.

Minsc said:
The 5870 will fit in my mATX case, with plenty of room to spare, you don't need a full tower for it :D

What case do you have? My Vapor X 4890 barley fits in my Lanbox Lite.

vesp said:
Dying to know if you can cram a 5850 or 5870 into a Shuttle G chasis or not. Really thinking about finally putting together a 1080p HTPC w/ Decent Gaming compatibilities. My guess is theyll probably fit into that new i7 one, but $600 is way too much for a barebones.

Might be time to give up on shuttle and just go the matx route, but that's more expensive than most of the prebuilt previous generation shuttles, but seemingly a bit cheaper for x58 architecture.

The 5770 might be what you're waiting for then. GTX275/4890 performance, full DX11 compatible but in a much smaller package and with around half the power draw.

Minsc

Gold Member
MWS Natural said:
What case do you have? My Vapor X 4890 barley fits in my Lanbox Lite.

Well, when I say my case, I guess I mean in the future sense, still waiting for Windows 7 to release to order. I'll be ordering one of the Qmicra 2 cases, which are 14 3/8" long.

Top Bottom