• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

MWS Natural

Member
Jul 23, 2007
14,161
2
0
Minsc said:
Well, when I say my case, I guess I mean in the future sense, still waiting for Windows 7 to release to order. I'll be ordering one of the Qmicra 2 cases, which are 14 3/8" long.

Oh ok..yeah those things are HUGE you can fit a damn 5870x2 in there!
 

Ettie

Member
Jul 1, 2008
1,742
0
0
pestul said:
Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.


I have a very similar antec case, using a 4870 with the fan and heatpipe with no probs. HD bay is out though. P43 Mobo and fan for E8400 fit fine as well.
 

Dennis

Banned
Jul 7, 2009
46,557
1
0
SapientWolf said:
There's a caveat. Those are simulated. No one has a real 5850 yet.
That is true - numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here is a (simulated) 5850 Crossfire benchmark.

 

Zyzyxxz

Member
Sep 3, 2007
12,013
0
0
32
Southern California, USA
Man if the real 5850 can give the GTX 285 a good run for its money that would be so great!

The cheapest GTX 285 is on Newegg for $295 and that's after a rebate while the 5850 most likely use less power and generate less heat.
 

Kevin

Member
Mar 3, 2006
5,794
4
1,210
33
Erie, Pennsylvania
www.therevolutionlifestyle.com
marsomega said:
Think you're wrong actually. That is not the 5870X2 with better cooling. That is the 5850X2.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/ati-radeon-hd-5870-x2-images-surface/

What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.
 

Zyzyxxz

Member
Sep 3, 2007
12,013
0
0
32
Southern California, USA
Kevin said:
What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.
Or you could have been smart and waited for some real details. It's not like PC parts get more expensive so you could have bought your preparatory parts later with no price-risk factor.

What exactly did you spend $300 on? Can't you just mod the case, do some cutting and slap it in anywya?
 

Firestorm

Member
Feb 2, 2006
33,832
0
0
Vancouver, BC
nuggetbridge.com
Kevin said:
What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.
Why didn't you not do that? My $215 CAD card is doing just fine beating the crap out of my 360 and PS3 in visual quality inside my $53 case with a $60 PSU.
 

MWS Natural

Member
Jul 23, 2007
14,161
2
0
Kevin said:
What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.
Blame PC gaming for your own impatience? Right :lol
 

Kevin

Member
Mar 3, 2006
5,794
4
1,210
33
Erie, Pennsylvania
www.therevolutionlifestyle.com
Zyzyxxz said:
Or you could have been smart and waited for some real details. It's not like PC parts get more expensive so you could have bought your preparatory parts later with no price-risk factor.

What exactly did you spend $300 on? Can't you just mod the case, do some cutting and slap it in anywya?

I bought these pieces when I updated my system:


Case:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Tower-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1254124892&sr=8-4-spell

Power Supply:
680 watt corsair power supply (can't find link)

Creative Sound Blaster:
X-Fi Gamer (tiger direct)


I got really good deals on this hardware but my complaint is primarily that the card is so big. I think it's also going to be incredibly expensive. I remember getting the ATi Rage Fury 128mb for about $150 when it was top on the line. I just think PC gaming is getting ridiculous with the pricing, power requirements and card sizes.

Also, the reason why I bought the hardware early was because I was initially going to get a Geforce 295 but then they started talking about the next cards coming out the following month so I decided to wait.
 

Ceebs

Member
Aug 11, 2006
8,515
0
0
pestul said:
Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.

I have this exact case. The only thing I have had to do was drill a new mount hole or two for the motherboard I have since I had a few holes that did not line up. My 4870 fits with room to spare, and if you do end up with a card that is just way to big, that bottom HDD bay holder/tray could be cut out pretty easily to give you the full length of the case. This case is going on almost 10 years for me and has been used in every rig I have built in that time.
 

Zefah

Member
Jan 7, 2007
33,550
152
1,105
Have there been any comparisons between the 5870 1GB model and the 2GB model? Does the extra memory really help in many games?

I'll definitely be picking up a 5870 as soon as I can get it for $300 or less.
 

Zefah

Member
Jan 7, 2007
33,550
152
1,105
Kevin said:
What a pile of crap! I just spent $300 updating my computer with a midtower Cooler Master case and 680 watt power supply and this thing is huge on my desk. I bought it because I was anticipating this card and now I find out that I probably won't even be able to fit it into my case because the thing is a monster will multiple fans. No wonder why PC gaming is nearly dead and the price will probably be $600 or more. I think I'm done with PC gaming if this is indeed the case. I'll probably just stick with console gaming. Can't afford PC gaming anymore.
Because you need a 5870 to play PC games? My 4870 does a pretty good job with most games at 1920x1200 and it costs like $150 now. If you are even looking at the 5870 then you are an enthusiast and as an enthusiast you should be able to realize how stupid your post sounds.
 

Arcipello

Member
Aug 15, 2008
2,648
1
0
UK
Kevin said:
I bought these pieces when I updated my system:


Case:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Tower-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1254124892&sr=8-4-spell

Power Supply:
680 watt corsair power supply (can't find link)

Creative Sound Blaster:
X-Fi Gamer (tiger direct)


I got really good deals on this hardware but my complaint is primarily that the card is so big. I think it's also going to be incredibly expensive. I remember getting the ATi Rage Fury 128mb for about $150 when it was top on the line. I just think PC gaming is getting ridiculous with the pricing, power requirements and card sizes.

Also, the reason why I bought the hardware early was because I was initially going to get a Geforce 295 but then they started talking about the next cards coming out the following month so I decided to wait.
if you really wanted to you could totally take out the HDD bay in that new case and even cut off a few level from the top that aren't going to be used, i mean you are really going to have 5 HDD are you? if you do that you will have more than anough room for the card and any future beasts.
 

gillty

Banned
Aug 25, 2007
3,405
0
0
Kevin said:
Creative Sound Blaster:
X-Fi Gamer (tiger direct)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
u bought a creative soundcard i feel sorry for you

theres a reason why companies like auzentech are so popular, they eliminate 2 major faults with creative cards

1)creatives crappy drivers
2)the shitty POS components creative use on their boards.

honestly u could have saved yourself the money and stuck with onboard realtek alc 888 hd or w/e they call it these days

otherwise only auzentech, ht omega, or asus xonar cards are worth looking at
 

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mar 10, 2005
19,061
1
0
Valru said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
u bought a creative soundcard i feel sorry for you

theres a reason why companies like auzentech are so popular, they eliminate 2 major faults with creative cards

1)creatives crappy drivers
2)the shitty POS components creative use on their boards.

honestly u could have saved yourself the money and stuck with onboard realtek alc 888 hd or w/e they call it these days

otherwise only auzentech, ht omega, or asus xonar cards are worth looking at
You forgot the enormous amount of bloated software that it installs as well. I'll never by a Creative card again.
 

pestul

Member
Jun 13, 2004
10,517
0
0
Ceebs said:
I have this exact case. The only thing I have had to do was drill a new mount hole or two for the motherboard I have since I had a few holes that did not line up. My 4870 fits with room to spare, and if you do end up with a card that is just way to big, that bottom HDD bay holder/tray could be cut out pretty easily to give you the full length of the case. This case is going on almost 10 years for me and has been used in every rig I have built in that time.
Did you make any of the 80mm to 120mm fan modifications I see floating around for this case? I'm not really too concerned about sound factor myself, but I suppose these new devices require a little extra cooling.
 

Minsc

Member
Oct 1, 2007
13,900
0
0
Eastern Shores
cyberheater said:
You forgot the enormous amount of bloated software that it installs as well. I'll never by a Creative card again.
I was under the impression they cleaned up their act with the new XiFi series from the early XP days of bloated software.
 

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oct 15, 2005
29,654
1
0
Has anyone heard any news about the 57XX cards? I was reading online, and I think the 5770 and 5750 come out in October or November and will be DX11 compatible and offer performance comparable to the 4890. Is this correct, or am I getting things totally wrong?
 

RavenFox

Banned
Dec 26, 2005
7,813
0
0
www.cafemaroon.com
fistfulofmetal said:
newegg still hasn't put it up for sale. wtf!!!!!!!
This
pestul said:
Anyone have experience with newer hardware in older large ATX cases (say circa 2003). I'm looking to upgrade all my hardware but I'd like to keep my large Chenming 601 Aluminum. I already know I can fit any card in there I want if I remove the lower HDD bay.

I have that case in black/\. My new build is the Antec 1200.
 

rohlfinator

Member
Sep 9, 2007
4,286
0
0
Archie said:
Has anyone heard any news about the 57XX cards? I was reading online, and I think the 5770 and 5750 come out in October or November and will be DX11 compatible and offer performance comparable to the 4890. Is this correct, or am I getting things totally wrong?
That's what I've heard, too. The date and DX11 support are certain -- I'm not sure about the performance, but these cards are expected to replace the 4800 series, so the 5770 should at least be close to the 4890.
 
Feb 1, 2006
4,147
0
0
5870 benchmark for the upcoming Risen:



Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCKoNQuvrTc&fmt=18

Risen: Test results and conclusion

Which card is the best for Risen? It's definitely the brand-new Radeon HD 5870. The predecessor HD 4890 is constantly beaten by 76 percent, Nvidia's fastest single GPU card GTX 285 leaves the DX11 Radeon behind with 56-58 percent. The Geforce GTX 285 is hardly faster than the GTX 275 - the latter is slightly better than the Radeon HD 4890. The GTX 260-216 is about 10 percent faster than the Radeon HD 4870/1G; more than 512 MiByte VRAM are not necessary for 1920 x 1200.

Provided that you play with the maximum of 1680 x 1050 pixels and 16:1 AF a HD 4770 or 8800 GT are sufficient, with some minor flaws even a 9600 GT or HD 3870. However, for playing in 1920 x 1200 and 16:1 AF you should have a GTX 260-216 or Radeon HD 4870.


Full Article: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696074/Risen-in-graphics-card-benchmark-test-Radeon-HD-5870-on-top/Practice/
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
0
That's some pretty major domination right there, and those aren't half some pretty graphics as well. Interestingly bumping upto 1680x1050 only seems to have a very minor impact on performance.

Its nice to see a result where the average and minimum framerates are so close, it means the graphics load should be fairly balanced throughout meaning an alltogether smoother experience even at lower framerates. You could use standard double buffer v-sync on anything from say a 4870 and above and receive a nice locked 30fps throughout.
 

JudgeN

Member
Apr 12, 2007
3,961
1
860
Minsc said:


Looks like the 5870 takes top spot by a good margin in the new Risen.

Of course, they don't have a 295 on there, so it's a bit skewed, but it's not directX 11 either, which would probably have given the 5870 a few extra frames.

Edit: Beaten, but I have the nice chart for everyone.
Didn't know Risen was such a graphically intensive game, less then 30 FPS on a 4870? Damn ATI need to come out with the 5890 ASAP.
 

Minsc

Member
Oct 1, 2007
13,900
0
0
Eastern Shores
fistfulofmetal said:
Newegg has the Sapphire branded card available!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOGOGOGO


omg! I just ordered the Sapphire 5870 and a Phenom II black edition 3.2ghz

$577.49 ouch
What was so special about the Sapphire one, as opposed to eVGA or XFX?
 

Technosteve

Junior Member
Oct 7, 2007
20,934
0
0
Firestorm said:
EVGA doesn't make Radeon cards. XFX is probably one of the best brands as far as ATI cards go though. Great warranty. Covers overclocking and the person you sell it to if you decide to get rid of it.

But the quality of the components they put in the cards has decreased according to the internets. Back in the day i thought sapphire was the top dog for ATI cards since it's the only graphics cards they make.
 

brain_stew

Member
Feb 20, 2007
19,261
1
0
Technosteve said:
But the quality of the components they put in the cards has decreased according to the internets. Back in the day i thought sapphire was the top dog for ATI cards since it's the only graphics cards they make.
All current 5870s are the reference design, almost certainly straight out of the same factory. The brand you buy isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the components used in this batch of cards. Warranty, bundle and price are what you should be judging your decision off of.
 

ToddG15

Member
Oct 15, 2007
157
0
0
brain_stew said:
All current 5870s are the reference design, almost certainly straight out of the same factory. The brand you buy isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the components used in this batch of cards. Warranty, bundle and price are what you should be judging your decision off of.
Anyone else agreeing with this? Just want to confirm that I'd be good buying the Sapphire one now. I plan to pick up a 5870 soon, but I don't really NEED the upgrade until early November with Dragon Age Origins comes out.
 

FoxSpirit

Junior Member
Sep 27, 2006
9,675
0
0
For one thing, those are great results... but as seein that this amount of power could be what next gen consoles get, I'm slightly disappointed.

I still hope for a 1080p/4xAA/60FPS generation with global illumination being the norm. Maybe some driver optimization, a bit ocing and the 5890.

Or they wait until the 6000 series until they lock down future console specs for 2014 :D
 

rohlfinator

Member
Sep 9, 2007
4,286
0
0
brain_stew said:
All current 5870s are the reference design, almost certainly straight out of the same factory. The brand you buy isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the components used in this batch of cards. Warranty, bundle and price are what you should be judging your decision off of.
I thought there was some variation in where they get their memory, although that's probably not going to significantly impact the quality.
 

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jan 21, 2008
32,249
0
1,090
Southern California
rohlfinator said:
I thought there was some variation in where they get their memory, although that's probably not going to significantly impact the quality.
Usually the in the batches. Right now there's no time for companies to use different designs. Early 8800GTS (512) had to switch memory later because a Qimoda (RAM) plant went down and they had to substitute better Samsung into them.

I personally would wait to spend the extra money on an XFX card because of the warranty, even though Sapphire is usually cheaper by a bit.
 

Technosteve

Junior Member
Oct 7, 2007
20,934
0
0
i meant to say non reference design cards, which annoyed me with sapphire you get better cooling but non reference voltage regulators so no OC via volting.
 

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jul 4, 2004
35,737
0
0
Minsc said:
I was under the impression they cleaned up their act with the new XiFi series from the early XP days of bloated software.
I find Creative's practices of making you pay for updated drivers or purposely disabling features in their drivers to be far more sleazier.
 

Macattk15

Member
Jan 22, 2008
12,228
0
0
36
Connecticut
fistfulofmetal said:
It was the first one that was available when I went to go purchase the card. Was going to get the HIS model but Sapphire will do. Plus i get Dirt 2!
I just got my XFX card from Newegg today ... I also received some sort of code for Dirt 2. yet to put this thing in ... it's huge.