• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Jokeropia

dabookerman said:
Well OK. That's your view, but, really, in the eyes of gamers, the majority believe the HD consoles to have better games than the Wii.
I fail to see how this is relevant in any way, but out of curiosity I'd like to see you prove it.

Culex

Banned
Brak said:
Does this mean that Wii shortages are over? Those numbers are sorta low.

Not really, they are above last year's numbers. August and September are generally really slow months, too.

Cheez-It said:
I'm curious, why is everyone jumping to conclusions on the topic of Madden Wii? We have a single month of data; are you really going to dismiss the various possibilities that might lead to weak first month sales but a strong tail?

That all depends on what Madden 08's tail was.

_Angelus_

Banned
Don't really care about the 360 price drop since I already have been a happy owner for almost 3 years now anyway. I'm not buying another like some fanatics are. But it'll make for some fun fucking reading come next NPD.
Maybe I'm way off base but I think the 360 is gonna roll into town and bring in some fantastic numbers next month.

AtreyU

Neo Member
Drinky Crow said:
can we officially declare the ps3 this gen's gamecube?

- hardware performance is less than that of the xbox competition, despite what screenshot "experts" claim
- has occasional minor sales spikes above the xbox competition but ultimately lags behind in sales overall
- uninspired first-party offerings, by and large
- confused marketing strategy
- has a legion of retardedly loyal nippon-phile fans obsessed with mascots and japanese franchises that are "supposed to be on [their] system!" and who whine and prognosticate endless
- has at least ONE standout manchild fanboy (see: kittonwy)
- IS IN THIRD PLACE LOL

get on the xboat and don that frat uniform!

add in

- proprietary disc system.
- taking forever to get pirated
- is waiting for an rpg of some sort to save its ass.

harSon

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
Ok, replace Too Human with the words Duke Nukem Forever... would you feel those same numbers were a bomb then, because its not far off to say that.

Too Human was an incredible money suck, regardless of how you want to view the quality of the game.

And?

Microsoft doesn't care what was spent on a game 10 years ago, the only thing that is relevant is how much money was put into Too Human this generation and whether they recoup their investment.

clashfan

Drinky Crow said:

- hardware performance is less than that of the xbox competition, despite what screenshot "experts" claim
- has occasional minor sales spikes above the xbox competition but ultimately lags behind in sales overall
- has a legion of retardedly loyal nippon-phile fans obsessed with mascots and japanese franchises that are "supposed to be on [their] system!" and who whine and prognosticate endless
- IS IN THIRD PLACE LOL

A little harsh...

Dabanton

:lol at Drinky Crow

As for the NPD's look how slow the thread is moving things have settled into a groove now The Wii followed by the 360 then the PS3 coming in third.

That's going to basically be the NPD's every time for the foreseeable future.

szaromir

Banned
Drinky Crow delivered:lol Hopefully he'll be here for next month's NPD :p

People are making gifs over a 10k win?
That's basically what all these PS3-360 "victories" were this year, except for June. Shit might get real later this year, though.

Xisiqomelir

Angelus said:
Don't really care about the 360 price drop since I already have been a happy owner for almost 3 years now anyway. I'm not buying another like some fanatics are. But it'll make for some fun fucking reading come next NPD.
Maybe I'm way off base but I think the 360 is gonna roll into town and bring in some fantastic numbers next month.

Can you give us a range for "fantastic"?

Drinky Crow said:

- IS IN THIRD PLACE LOL

I'd say that it's more like this gen's Xbox.

No6

Jokeropia said:
I fail to see how this is relevant in any way, but out of curiosity I'd like to see you prove it.
The obvious method would be metacritic comparisons to the (rarely) known top 10 lists for each console. But then we'd have to deal with ninthings squirming to justify Game Party outselling Galaxy, and no one wants that.

Manmademan said:
:lol :lol :lol

and another one taken in. Drinky will never, ever EVER be banned. no matter what he says. That man has a deal with the devil.

oh, i been real banned before. a couple mods don't take kindly to mean-spirited joshin' about pro-wrestling, or lousy multiplat games they're invested in, or lookin' down upon garden state the movie.

Drinky Crow said:

- IS IN THIRD PLACE LOL

You forgot:

- Only sells better in Japan.
- Dosn't have a proper MGS and no GTA
- No proper online
- No third party support

Cheez-It

AranhaHunter said:
That all depends on what Madden 08's tail was.

I agree, which is why I thought posting last years first sales without ytd was rather silly.

The lack of growth is certainly interesting, but... It just seems a bit short sighted to declare it a failure so quickly.

pulga

Banned
ViperVisor said:
GetYoPopcornReady.gif

That is the most beautiful gif I have ever seen.

:lol Drinky :lol

Wii and DS are unlike anything else. Fucking unreal.

Jammy

Banned
Wait... why do people laugh at the Wii version of Madden?

Why don't we laugh at the PS3 versions of Guitar Hero, LEGO Indiana Jones, Tiger Woods, etc. etc.?

No6

Dabanton said:
:lol at Drinky Crow

As for the NPD's look how slow the thread is moving things have settled into a groove now The Wii followed by the 360 then the PS3 coming in third.

That's going to basically be the NPD's every time for the foreseeable future.
That plus the lack of data means all we can do is sit around and make fun of Dyack, which is a universal pleasure.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Do you guys think MGS4 will get a bump during the fall?

It has really underwhelmed sales wise. Is it anywhere near 2 million copies yet?

_leech_ said:
Also:

- No games.
- Not enough vents.

Whole theory goes to shit when you take into account that it doesn't have a lunch box handle though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jag22 said:
sucks that the HD consoles have all the good games, eh?
I agree that the HD consoles probably have more good games but to me the Wii has the best games. SMG/MP3/LZTP/Excite Truck are probably my favorite games of this generation. The Wii has some OMG holy shit games then a ton of shit.

The Wii's number is not low. It would set a new record for August--it beat every past system's August, and its own last August--except that the DS outsold it. So it has to settle for a new 2nd place record instead.

diddlyD

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

- IS IN THIRD PLACE LOL

painfully accurate, but then doesn't that mean the xbox 360 is this gen's xbox? that's can't be good either.

wow at vesperia bomba not even making top 10 in NA. i thought the plan was for japanese companies to redeem their doomed from the start JP sales on 360 in NA? better luck next time i guess.

Drinky Crow said:

The only one I disagree with.

But why are people so surprised by sales of WiiPlay? No one is buying the game people. So how is WiiPlay relevant?

People are buying a spare controller with a near free game, not a game with a free controller.

MS should start bundling Viva Pinata with a controller to get it into more people's hands.

jman2050

Leondexter said:
The Wii's number is not low. It would set a new record for August--it beat every past system's August, and its own last August--except that the DS outsold it. So it has to settle for a new 2nd place record instead.

The fact that this even happened is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom