• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

No6

schuelma said:
Are we in make believe world where something like..I don't know..Tiger Woods doesn't count? Certain sports games do poorly, yes. And certain ones do well.
Is this one those "claim that Game X selling better on Wii than on PS3 as a victory, even though it's more of a case of failing vs failing less"?

andydumi said:
Even if the cards were everywhere like Live cards, they still would not sell well. Firstly, there are no subscription cards (free) and secondly, a large portion of people would rather use a credit card than go out and buy a PSN card. So the numbers would be greatly skewed even if they did register.

you can buy live subscriptions on XBL as well BTW

AndyD

aka andydumi
No Means Nomad said:
Blu Ray has gone further than HD-DVD, but it still hasn't reached the finish line.

Just about every movie coming out is on DVD and Bluray. Bluray prices are falling and adoption is constantly going up. I would say finish line achieved.

Captain Smoker said:
Only first month numbers:

Madden NFL 08:
360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.600
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.600
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.200
WII MADDEN NFL 08 115.600

Madden NFL 09:
360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.000.000
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 424.500
WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800

How much do you guys think the PS3's Madden sales this year vs. last year have to do with the technical issues resolved (framerate)? Or it just a userbase thing?

Askia47

Captain Smoker said:
Only first month numbers:

Madden NFL 08:
360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.600
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.600
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.200
WII MADDEN NFL 08 115.600

Madden NFL 09:
360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.000.000
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 424.500
WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800

lol Wii numbers are exactly the same.

snesfreak

Banned
My pathetic attempt at making a gif

yamauchi-1.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MattKeil said:
Agreed on the budget vs. breaking even. Not a great performance but not a bomb, either. Factor in holiday sales and I would say a sequel is likely. Hey, Yakuza got three.

The RGG sequels had nothing to do with US market performance. It's a successful series in Japan, and the fourth game was unveiled before the *second* one even came out here. Come on now.

DS is still the king, hail to the king!!!

PS3 and X360 @ LOL, people need to get over this, is not gonna change....

Wii, great but Madden Wii, failed hard.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No6 said:
Is this one those "claim that Game X selling better on Wii than on PS3 as a victory, even though it's more of a case of failing vs failing less"?

Nope. We obviously don't know about 09 yet, but 08 sold best worldwide on Wii. 07 might have as well.

Grecco

MattKeil said:

Based on what? tempered expecations had it 300-400k. Other previous Xbox Exclusives on the month have done so much better. It had "that really downloaded demo Dennis talked about". And it had to be incredibly expensive. Going from the U3 licencing fees to creating a totally new engine after that was scrapped.

But its fine. Just like every other NPD we hear how "It had no advertising" and it "only had a short time tracking on npd"

it bombed. Period

Pimpbaa said:
Not just you, the majority on this board. The kinda people that would consider the wii to have the best games out of the three wouldn't be on this forum. Because they are non-gamers.

I concur

Xenon

Grecco said:
An incredible bomb. Especially compared to other Xbox August exclusives. Lets say Bioshock for instance.

They advertised bioshock on TV and it was darling of the press. No way too human had a chance to match those numbers.

goldenpp72

also I hope this 360 > ps3 month will show that thinking 360 will win in its price drop month is not silly.

vesperia figures are needed.

Guy Legend said:
PS3 madden numbers are great.

As for PS3 hardware, I think their numbers are affected somewhat by their hardware transition. Regardless, interesting to see the XB360 outsell it. September should be a strong victory for MS.

Too bad Sony only offers non-BC enabled consoles now...
From what I've seen, non-BC consoles are what people buy. Almost every retailer I go to throughout August was sold out of the 40GB or 80GB core. When they get it in, it sells out quickly. The MGS4 bundle on the other hand, although I didn't see a lot of them, they were usually the only bundle I saw (people were buying the 80GB core over it). That's why I'm starting to think unless you're a hardcore gamer (those who post on forums or heavily follow gaming news), lower price is more appealing than PS2 BC.

Mrbob

Damn. Too Human kind of flopped.

It isn't the best game in the world, but it is taking too much crap. Whelp, glad I bought mine used on the cheap (thank u for the 25 percent off coupon gamestop!) so I didn't invest too much money into a series which will probably be finished now.

Mr Killemgood said:
Will we get Vesperia numbers plz?

Ditto, oh and Tiger Woods Wii has been a big success (Wasn`t it the best selling version last year?) so EA sports games do sell on Wii, just not Madden in particular.

clashfan

goldenpp72 said:
also I hope this 360 > ps3 month will show that thinking 360 will win in its price drop month is not silly.

There are people that think the 360 will sell less because of a price drop? Yes, we need Vesperia number.

Nolan.

Xenon said:
They advertised bioshock on TV and it was darling of the press. No way too human had a chance to match those numbers.

Too human has taken such a fall, it's kind of funny to think a few years back they were ''competing'' with gears, oh that interview.

AtreyU

Neo Member
jimbo said:
On paper?

Since when has the length of a game's development mattered in sales?

Probably because the game must have cost a lot of invested time and time is money. How much would this game need to break even and how much has it cost to make?

12 million 20 million? more?

168k of sales at what maybe $35 maximum split between publisher and developer makes for a lot of catching up to do. Tell me jimbo would you be happy with the sales if it was your money?

TheOddOne

goldenpp72 said:

Shhh... be silent my friend...or you'll get slaughterd YOU KNOW THIS IS NEOGAF COUNTRY RIGHT?

Jokeropia

Zerodoppler said:
It's a sports game on a Nintendo console with no Mario on the cover. Of course it's going to bomb.
Wii Sports, Tiger Woods, PES Wii.
polyh3dron said:
You can't be serious.
Sir Fragula said:
Wait, really?
jimbo said:
If by truth you mean, your name, then yes. That you are and so is this statement.
Pimpbaa said:
Not just you, the majority on this board. The kinda people that would consider the wii to have the best games out of the three wouldn't be on this forum. Because they are non-gamers.
Heaven forbid people have different opinions. :lol I like my favorite Wii games (Galaxy, TP, Prime 3, RE4 Wii, NMH) more than my favorite 360 games (Oblivion, Bioshock, Orange Box), yes. Not all of them (I'd say Oblivion is better than NMH and about as good as Prime and RE4), but as a whole. And then Galaxy is of course outstanding.
dabookerman said:
It has the best non-games, and the most.
I suppose, but that's not why I prefer it.

JudgeN

People need to realize that HD console hardware isn't going to ever beat the Wii, just enjoy the good games companies keep putting on your consoles.

No6

schuelma said:
Nope. We obviously don't know about 09 yet, but 08 sold best worldwide on Wii. 07 might have as well.
You said sell well, not best. There's a difference.

Shame we don't get PC numbers, I'd be really interested to see if the death of Access/Links translated into strong PC TW numbers.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Grecco said:
Based on what? tempered expecations had it 300-400k. Other previous Xbox Exclusives on the month have done so much better. It had "that really downloaded demo Dennis talked about". And it had to be incredibly expensive. Going from the U3 licencing fees to creating a totally new engine after that was scrapped.

But its fine. Just like every other NPD we hear how "It had no advertising" and it "only had a short time tracking on npd"

it bombed. Period

Thats a good point. He said it was downloaded over a million times, which means it has a 15-16% conversion rate? That seems quite low.

clashfan said:
There are people that think the 360 will sell less because of a price drop? Yes, we need Vesperia number.

Yeah, obviously some people are gonna wait for the price drop, but not in the way to affect sales in a big way...

Kafel

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K

How good/bad is that compared to expectations?

I haven't been following Too Human - or gaming sales in general - much this year. But my first thought is, that's a disaster. The game cost $70m, and was a major first party release, FFS.

I don't know about the US but here (France), MS didn't support TH. They only did some ads on the web but that's all.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mr_bishiuk said:

Yikes, guess I'm a non-gamer then.

Seriously though, I too think the Wii has the best games out of the three current-gen consoles, but I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on GAF.

Anyway, boring month. Everything's so predictable now :(. A slight lol at the 360 numbers, because of MS's "sales doubled!!" PR comment.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
MattKeil said:
Agreed on the budget vs. breaking even. Not a great performance but not a bomb, either. Factor in holiday sales and I would say a sequel is likely. Hey, Yakuza got three.

off the mark in ways that others have pointed out, but still curiously relevant: sega's lack of business sense is probably sk's best hope for funding the rest of the projected trilogy :(

Cipherr

polyh3dron said:
It pretty much confirms that the only non-rhythm game 3rd party games that can actually sell on the Wii are shovelware games and/or games that use some kind of IP from another medium.

Is this where you ignore Tiger Woods success on the Wii the past 3 iterations? It being the highest selling SKU of the current gen 3? Madden gamers didn't migrate to the Wii clearly. But TW has its home on the Wii as far as sales are concerned. Although checking your post history, Im certain that wont stop you from spouting the bs.

No6 said:

I think its a case of you not knowing what the hell your talking about. The last few tiger games have sold hundreds and hundreds of THOUSANDS of copies worldwide. How in the hell are you trying to label that "failing"? Sorry it doesn't work like that. The last few tiger games all sold well worldwide. And they were lead by the Wii sku. You cant spin it negatively so stop trying. Madden doesn't sell extremely well on the Wii. Woods however does sell well there.

This really shouldn't even be an issue, but some of you just have a hard time accepting the fact that a sports game does perform well on the Wii, and it seems to burn you up that one sports game performs better on Wii than the others, just let it go. Calling Woods a "failure" is beyond reaching.

Big-E

Madden did decent numbers. I am curious for Vesperia but I am hoping we will see another Star Trek .gif out of this thread.

fernoca

Xenon said:
But Bioshock also had a demo that had eveyroen talking, good impressions, great reviews..add that it was reelased bearly at the end of the month, and still managed to get 490,900 on the August charts.

In anyway; is a similar reason as to why Superman Returns is considered a flop at the box-office. It obtained nearly $400 million worldwide, but costed over $270 million..during a decade of pre-production and false starts, among other misc. costs that were not included in that, not to mention advertising..

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K

How good/bad is that compared to expectations?

I haven't been following Too Human - or gaming sales in general - much this year. But my first thought is, that's a disaster. The game cost $70m, and was a major first party release, FFS.

Considering there was an xbox live demo, I'd say thats pretty well below expectations.
I was expecting something on the lower side of 500k.. like something between 500k - 400k, but I was obviously way off on that one. I don't know what the legs are going to be like on this game, as it seems there is no momentum behind it.

What do I know... lol

h3ro

I'm expecting some epic "supply limitation" announcements from both Sony and MS... those PR releases are the only thing that make sales-age so awesome... :lol

As for TH, at least they set some record for demo downloads, right?

Lets get some Tales of Vesperia and SCIV PS3 numbers, please!

mr_bishiuk said:
You and I have widley different gaming tastes...

If you do buy a wii, make sure to get boom blox, blast works, we love golf, and order up. Fun games. I hear Tiger Woods is fun too. All of those came out this summer

Top Bottom