• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MightyHedgehog said:
Wow...Too Human doing worse out of the gate than I ever thought. That's what? Ten or so days of US release represented right there? Unless it gets a pretty hefty amount of marketing this season, I'm thinking this trilogy may never see its second part released.
It's about 20 days I think. TH was released August 12.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OldJadedGamer said:
Accessories

"Xobx Live point cards and gold membership cards represented three of the top-10 accessory items for the month which sheds a little light onto the popularity of this service to Xbox 360 fans"

I still don't know why Sony is taking so long on the pre-paid PSN cards. It's like leaving money on the table.

Even if the cards were everywhere like Live cards, they still would not sell well. Firstly, there are no subscription cards (free) and secondly, a large portion of people would rather use a credit card than go out and buy a PSN card. So the numbers would be greatly skewed even if they did register.

AtreyU

Neo Member
indie85 said:
Hmm, can you try better than a lol gif next time?

You sarcastically stated that Next gen dominance continues, ie it isn't and wii is continuing its dominance over next gen, when in fact a more accurate assessment is the fact that Wiis mega numbers are sliding and the gap between next gen and wii is getting smaller, thus it was a dumb comment.

so who's joke character is this.

deepbrown

I don't get this comment ""The PSP and PS3 systems achieved the greatest percentage gain of all now-gen systems." isn't PS3 down?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
indie85 said:

You sarcastically stated that Next gen dominance continues, ie it isn't and wii is continuing its dominance over next gen, when in fact a more accurate assessment is the fact that Wiis mega numbers are sliding and the gap between next gen and wii is getting smaller, thus it was a dumb comment.
ilaafc.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MS takes back their silver medal for this month! :lol

Really though, I hope the price cut snugs them into second place nice place and 360 software keeps selling so that the awesome games keep coming. :D

GhaleonEB

360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K

How good/bad is that compared to expectations?

I haven't been following Too Human - or gaming sales in general - much this year. But my first thought is, that's a disaster. The game cost $70m, and was a major first party release, FFS.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
jimbo said:
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Why is it after years and years of NPD and sales charts there are still people that don't know how to use the word BOMB correctly?

With the exception of star games(read Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc etc) no game that sells 168,000 its first month should be called a bomb. Especially when said game has seen nothing but bad reviews, poor marketing oh.................and an awful lot of hate on GAF;)

Too Human has been in development for how long now?

Andrex said:
Wonder how Symphonia will do- I mean, whether it will bomb harder or not.

that's actually a not so easy question to answer. My guess is that it will do better, but not by much. 300k total in NA, probably

X26

Banned
Too Human sales aren't good, but they aren't bad either...guess you could spin it either way.

And it's always funny seeing the wiitards proclaim some kind of moral victory...despite none of those huge profits going their way and having shit to play or look forward to

test_account said:
The Xbox 360 20GB SKU had a price drop in July if i'm not mistaken. But the Xbox 360 Arcade and Elite SKU had a pricedrop this month ye, true that :)

"The price reduction we announced yesterday is not a system price reduction; I want to be really clear about that because I don't want people to accuse us of doing something that we didn't do." - Shane Kim Corporate Vice President, Strategy and Business Development

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Here's the truth: Wii has the best games of all three consoles in my eyes. Clearly the fact that the majority feels the same way is hurting you a lot.

If by truth you mean, your name, then yes. That you are and so is this statement.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sho_Nuff82 said:
More of a clearance sale, it was immediately replaced by the $350 60GB sku, which was then price dropped on the 7th.
OldJadedGamer said:
"The price reduction we announced yesterday is not a system price reduction; I want to be really clear about that because I don't want people to accuse us of doing something that we didn't do." - Shane Kim Corporate Vice President, Strategy and Business Development
Ah ok, i didnt know that, thanks for the info! :)

I wonder if Microsoft will let Silicon Knights finish the trilogy in light of the sales- they're in the Heavenly Sword ball park iirc and that was intended to be a trilogy also.

e. Heavenly Sword, new IP in a trilogy managed 139k in September 07 up against Halo 3. Considering where the 360 is now I'd say these numbers are a disappointment from MS' point of view. But then the budget for HS might have been phenomenally higher considering the mo-cap they did.

indie85 said:

A smaller gap in sales still means an increase in the total gap between 360/ps3 and wii. So your comment is dumb.

Pimpbaa

mr_bishiuk said:
You and I have widley different gaming tastes...

Not just you, the majority on this board. The kinda people that would consider the wii to have the best games out of the three wouldn't be on this forum. Because they are non-gamers.

WasteLand Soldier said:
seems over for sonys 2008. what does this mean for blu ray?

Stand alone players are cheaper than PS3s so it really doesn't mean anything. It just means that the PS3 isn't the mass market BR delivery device anymore.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
polyh3dron said:
It pretty much confirms that the only non-rhythm game 3rd party games that can actually sell on the Wii are shovelware games and/or games that use some kind of IP from another medium.

Are we in make believe world where something like..I don't know..Tiger Woods doesn't count? Certain sports games do poorly, yes. And certain ones do well.

Narag

indie85 said:

This kind of reasoning leads to the Playstation family talk.

[Nintex]

Sony seems to have put their eggs in the first party exclusive basket for this holiday season. While MS is going the pricedrop, bundle, deal route. It'll be interesting to see which strategy is the best.

If Resistance 2 isn't the answer to Gears of War 2 though than Sony will trail even further behind.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
jimbo said:
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Why is it after years and years of NPD and sales charts there are still people that don't know how to use the word BOMB correctly?

With the exception of star games(read Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc etc) no game that sells 168,000 its first month should be called a bomb. Especially when said game has seen nothing but bad reviews, poor marketing oh.................and an awful lot of hate on GAF;)

Plus, Too Human only had two weeks of August to sell that many. Really not a bad performance for a low-marketing new IP in a summer release slot.

spwolf said:
when was the drop for 20 GB? Didn't that get drop sometime of $50? or was that in July?

July and it was clearly a fire sale as they announced the 60gig model at the same time and shortly after that the rumours from reliable sources started spreading about the proper across the board price cuts

deepbrown said:
I don't get this comment ""The PSP and PS3 systems achieved the greatest percentage gain of all now-gen systems." isn't PS3 down?
I believe this means year-over-year growth. Those systems grew in sales the most over the numbers from last August.

Grecco

GhaleonEB said:

I haven't been following Too Human - or gaming sales in general - much this year. But my first thought is, that's a disaster. The game cost $70m, and was a major first party release, FFS.

An incredible bomb. Especially compared to other Xbox August exclusives. Lets say Bioshock for instance.

clashfan said:
Why does that make you happy?

Its fucking expensive and it puts the priorities in the wrong place. If it wasnt for the low tech systems sustaining then the penetration of hd consoles would be laughable and worrying.
I'm exaggerating

WrikaWrek

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

It's bad. Actually it's horrible, i'm sure MS expected at least north of 300k. Not even close.

But hey it beat Wii Madden.

AranhaHunter said:
For comparison purposes, does anyone knows Madden 08 LTD and first month numbers for all the systems?
Only first month numbers:

Madden NFL 08:
360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.600
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.600
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.200
WII MADDEN NFL 08 115.600

Madden NFL 09:
360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.000.000
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 424.500
WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
_mo said:

first achievement i'm proud to have unlocked, in collaboration with you, the gaming community -- not buying too human is the most popular massively multiplayer game in the world

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:

The GS lampoon at had over 30 Too Humans come in on launch, they still have 10

WrikaWrek

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Sony seems to have put their eggs in the first party exclusive basket for this holiday season. While MS is going the pricedrop, bundle, deal route. It'll be interesting to see which strategy is the best.

If Resistance 2 isn't the answer to Gears of War 2 though than Sony will trail even further behind.

I think MS is going the price drop, bundle, deal route and 1st party exclusives, which it has as in as many number as Sony.

The fall looks good for MS. "good".

Loudninja said:
I was expecting at least 200k.

Yeah me too. But i guess negative word of mouth prevailed, and people saved themselfs 60$ instead of wasting it on trash.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MattKeil said:
Agreed on the budget vs. breaking even. Not a great performance but not a bomb, either. Factor in holiday sales and I would say a sequel is likely. Hey, Yakuza got three.

Yakuza is absolutely enormous in Japan. Where is Too Human huge? Saint Catherine?

GhaleonEB

Grecco said:
An incredible bomb. Especially compared to other Xbox August exclusives. Lets say Bioshock for instance.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

FWIW, I thought demo was shit, so I was kind of rooting for it to bomb. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jimbo said:
On paper?

Since when has the length of a game's development mattered in sales?

um, since the beginning? Longer development time = more costs = less profit. Its a pretty simple concept

Top Bottom