• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
WickedLaharl said:
2nsp2dj.gif

the consumers have chosen!

Holy shit, first reply :lol :lol

okrim said:
10 m 360 vs 5 m ps3 user base remember?

Lol thats not how it works though is it! The wider your user base is spread the greater amount of non hardcore gamers you have... weve seen 360 multi platform games have longer legs and the gap in sales widening in following months.

MattKeil said:
:lol @ the Too Human supporters and detractors both claiming victory off the sales numbers.
True, although I can't imagine anyone would think at the most that it would go more than 250k given the lack of any substantial marketing. Given it's likely budget I imagine it will be lucky if it breaks even. But on the other hand it's not an epic bomba along the lines of something like Yakuza's NA debut or something.

Funny how everyone can spin the Too Human #s for whatever purpose they want, but it easily outsold first month digits for a few other first party MS games with better metacritic scores...

Oh, and 6.6 million copies of Wii Play makes me wanna barf

Shanks said:
Are those 360 numbers good considering the pricedrop?

360 price drop was September 7th.

It will be reflected next month. If the sales doubled the first weekend, and then flatlined to this month's weekly level immediately, it would sell ~300k in September (if Sep. is a 5 week month).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nothing mindblowing, happy to see the DS is still selling really well, and that the PSP is starting to pick up a bit of steam, at least.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Andrex said:
Wonder how Symphonia will do- I mean, whether it will bomb harder or not.
I'd be shocked if it doesn't do better. It seems the stars that aligned to make Symphonia a big hit in the first place is happening all over again.

spwolf

GitarooMan said:
True, although I can't imagine anyone would think at the most that it would go more than 250k given the lack of any substantial marketing. Given it's likely budget I imagine it will be lucky if it breaks even. But on the other hand it's not an epic bomba along the lines of something like Yakuza's NA debut or something.

Shows people are reading the reviews :)

OldJadedGamer said:
Accessories

"Xobx Live point cards and gold membership cards represented three of the top-10 accessory items for the month which sheds a little light onto the popularity of this service to Xbox 360 fans"

I still don't know why Sony is taking so long on the pre-paid PSN cards. It's like leaving money on the table.

I wonder how the Xbox live gold card would have faired if it was packaged with a game ala Wii play?? Also those gold and points cards are those sold at retail, id wager the majority of subscriptions and points are sold online

WrikaWrek

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Lol thats not how it works though is it! The wider your user base is spread the greater amount of non hardcore gamers you have... weve seen 360 multi platform games have longer legs and the gap in sales widening in following months.

Like Soul Calibur 4.

Anyway, in the words of PEter Moore, Rolling Thunder has begun, i think the 360 will increase the gap further and further till the end of the year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sho_Nuff82 said:

It will be reflected next month. If the sales doubled the first weekend, and then flatlined to this month's weekly level immediately, it would sell ~300k in September (if Sep. is a 5 week month).
The Xbox 360 20GB SKU had a price drop in July if i'm not mistaken. But the Xbox 360 Arcade and Elite SKU had a pricedrop this month ye, true that :)

indie85

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Hmm, can you try better than a lol gif next time?

You sarcastically stated that Next gen dominance continues, ie it isn't and wii is continuing its dominance over next gen, when in fact a more accurate assessment is the fact that Wiis mega numbers are sliding and the gap between next gen and wii is getting smaller, thus it was a dumb comment.

Jonsoncao

Banned
:lol :lol :lol
too human lol in the top 10? zomfg?

i thought ps3's starwarz calibur 4 may outsell too human this month by Cagari's retail musings :lol

Wow...Too Human doing worse out of the gate than I ever thought. That's what? Ten or so days of US release represented right there? Unless it gets a pretty hefty amount of marketing this season, I'm thinking this trilogy may never see its second part released.

spwolf

Sho_Nuff82 said:

when was the drop for 20 GB? Didnt that get drop sometime of $50? or was that in July?

gtj1092

This is going to be a great PR month. MS can talk about becoming the home for madden and being the number 1 HD console. Sony can bring back the good ole PS family talk. Sony can then add all of their versions of madden and claim to remain the home of madden. I can't wait:D

szaromir

Banned
Shanks said:
Are those 360 numbers good considering the pricedrop?
You mean the fact that the info about price drop in early September leaked in early August? Then yes, they are relatively good.

Jag22

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Jag22, I just posted a picture of my HD console! Are their sales not a horrific joke now because I own one? Can you PM me the secret NPD tears and denial guide?
what tears are you talking about? The ones you shed when your mother took her money back?

test_account said:
The Xbox 360 20GB SKU had a price drop in July if i'm not mistaken.

More of a clearance sale, it was immediately replaced by the $350 60GB sku, which was then price dropped on the 7th.

spwolf said:
when was the drop for 20 GB? Didnt that get drop sometime of $50? or was that in July?

It happened in July, but I thought the GAF consensus from reading last month's thread and the unbiased retail musings was that it had no effect whatsoever.

Pimpbaa

PSP, usually doing respectable hardware numbers every month, but selling shit all software :/

ps. best popcorn gif ever!

Jokeropia said:
Here's the truth: Wii has the best games of all three consoles in my eyes. Clearly the fact that the majority feels the same way is hurting you a lot.

It has the best non-games, and the most.

jimbo

Banned
GitarooMan said:

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Why is it after years and years of NPD and sales charts there are still people that don't know how to use the word BOMB correctly?

With the exception of star games(read Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc etc) no game that sells 168,000 its first month should be called a bomb. Especially when said game has seen nothing but bad reviews, poor marketing oh.................and an awful lot of hate on GAF;)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
GitarooMan said:

Agreed on the budget vs. breaking even. Not a great performance but not a bomb, either. Factor in holiday sales and I would say a sequel is likely. Hey, Yakuza got three.

jman2050

indie85 said:
Hmm, can you try better than a lol gif next time?

You sarcastically stated that Next gen dominance continues, ie it isn't and wii is continuing its dominance over next gen, when in fact a more accurate assessment is the fact that Wiis mega numbers are sliding and the gap between next gen and wii is getting smaller, thus it was a dumb comment.

It shouldn't be taking this long to get past "denial"

Jokeropia said:
Here's the truth: Wii has the best games of all three consoles in my eyes. Clearly the fact that the majority feels the same way is hurting you a lot.

You and I have widley different gaming tastes...

Zerodoppler said:
It's a sports game on a Nintendo console with no Mario on the cover. Of course it's going to bomb.
It pretty much confirms that the only non-rhythm game 3rd party games that can actually sell on the Wii are shovelware games and/or games that use some kind of IP from another medium.

Top Bottom