• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaro said:
Should be stickied in OT if anything, pfft american sports.
I don't know, I quite like the new possie. It's two clicks from the front page and we're always there. It's kind of hard to miss us amongst all of those other stickied threads in Online :D

BSS

viewtifulsub said:
Devin Townsend announced that the Ziltoid album will make an appearance on DLC, which alone is enough to get me back into Rock Band.

We approve.

24213_366342748428_590038428_3772160_5560770_n.jpg

endlessflood said:
I don't know, I quite like the new possie. It's two clicks from the front page and we're always there. It's kind of hard to miss us amongst all of those other stickied threads in Online :D

Its 2 clicks if you subscribe isn't it? :D

Shaneus

I wasn't even in the top 20! About 10 posts out but still... damnit.

Wait, is that something I should or shouldn't be proud of?!?

CryptiK

So I am starting my own computer tech business..

Its called "The Computer Guy" and the business Slogan is "Your own personal Gigalo" /cheese.

Has anyone considered that, aside from online being irrelevant to the type of thread this is, online isn't viewable by lurkers? Not to mention that nobody would choose online out of the three main forums to potentially look for a thread for australian gaffers.

giri

Megadrive said:
Has anyone considered that, aside from online being irrelevant to the type of thread this is, online isn't viewable by lurkers? Not to mention that nobody would choose online out of the three main forums to potentially look for a thread for australian gaffers.

I think the main point of putting it into online is that even if the thread gets big quick, because it's not one of the other 2 forums that cop heaps of traffic, it won't be the worst thing ever for the servers.

Also, it sort of is the right place, online is about communities for specific topics. Though, an argument could be made to put this in any of the forums, really.

I didn't realise lurkers couldn't see the online forum... This is good, means my co-workers can't look in and see how much I post on AusGAF during work hours :D

Megadrive said:
Kritz your avatar is horrid.

Also: WHO POSTED THE MOST IN AUSGAF BEFORE IT GOT LOCKED: (You should already know who): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=341111
That page is really interesting when you copy+paste into Excel and convert text to numbers.

For instance, of all 450 posters in the old thread:

~78% of all posts in that thread were made by the top 50 posters
~91% were by the top 100 posters
~96% were by the top 150 posters
~98% were by the top 200 posters
~99% were by the top 250 posters

106 posters (or 23.6% of posters) only posted once.

If I get time later, I might do a histogram of the data and see if it follows a nice bell curve.

hamchan

Megadrive said:

Yes, that's why I was against moving us to the Online side. I didn't get much support though :/

Dead Man

I didn't even break 500 in the old thread, not sure if that's good or bad :lol

viciouskillersquirrel said:
That page is really interesting when you copy+paste into Excel and convert text to numbers.

If I get time later, I might do a histogram of the data and see if it follows a nice bell curve.
Interesting. I'd like to see that, if you can be bothered.

Does anyone know of any web scripts that would allow me to easily extract posting data (time and date) from the old thread quickly without having to go through each page one at a time?

I'd love to run that timestamp data through MATLAB or see if I could extract or estimate some sort of transfer function for AusGAF or if it follows (say) a Poisson distribution. I mean, I know it'd be non-linear, but I wonder what sort of linear components it could have?

Heck, if you could extract something like that (a transfer function for thread activity in a community of a fixed size, like NeoGAF is between each new batch of juniors), you could theoretically measure the relative sizes of megatons by recording the reaction to a certain bit of news and working backwards to figure out the magnitude of the impulse function (in this case, an announcement or a bit of news).

Even if the transfer functions are different for bits of news from each manufacturer or publisher (say the behaviour of Square Enix threads are different from Capcom threads in ways that are distinct from the mere size of the news), this might even tell you a lot about how well each publisher manages their own image or about the fanbase and give us a quantifiable measure relative to other functions

I don't know how useful the data would be, even if you were a market researcher, but holy shit, that data would sound like fun!

trinest

Haahaa I agree, but I don't know of anything which would do that- if you find something let me know- that sounds awesome.

rass

has it ever occurred to you that you have too much free time on your hands? I do like graphs though.

Hamchan - I didn't know lurkers couldn't see online

Dead Man

Yeah, no clue on automating that stuff, the only stats I do are all in SPSS, and I suck at that, so I'm probably not going to be any help. :D

Only issue would be trying to extract historical variables (like the membership size) in the past. It's relatively easy to find that out for data today, but not so much for anytime prior to the last batch of juniours getting approved. I suppose if I wanted to do it, I'd need to ask for EviLore's cooperation (and not tell anyone I was conducting a study as this would affect the results).

Also, I wouldn't be able to really automate the function estimation process, since it'd by necessity be thread-by-thread. I'd need to read the thread to work out the points at which news (or any other kind of external stimulus) occurred.

rass said:
has it ever occurred to you that you have too much free time on your hands? I do like graphs though.
It only took a second to realise the data was in a nice format to copy and paste into Excel. Extracting the rest only took ten minutes :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

rass

It only took a second to realise the data was in a nice format to copy and paste into Excel. Extracting the rest only took ten minutes :p
haha I figured
It's a more productive use of your day than mine so far :lol

markot

Banned
I dont get why their Transact plans are so pitiful >_<

Account Type Monthly Cost Monthly Quota $/MB Excess
ACT starter $14.95 2500 $0.10/MB
ACT light $24.95 5000 $0.10/MB
ACT medium $34.95 7500 $0.10/MB
ACT heavy $54.95 10000 $0.10/MB
ACT power $79.95 20000 $0.10/MB
http://www.iinet.net.au/broadband/transact-plans.html

Theyd they even bother buying a Canberran ISP >_>

20gb for 80 bucks... I get like 120peak 200off peak for the same price >.<

giri

Dead Man said:
Shit, that looks good. Anyone here used iinet before? They any good?

I'm currently with iinet, they're good. Reliable, pings are auiight (comparable with inode).

They've stopped their free streaming of EPL games though, and i'm not sure if they're going to do their super 14 coverage again either.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dead Man said:
Shit, that looks good. Anyone here used iinet before? They any good?

Been with them for 6 and a half years, No major issues here at all. Heck i honestly can't remember the last one.

I'm happy since i go from a $130 a month plan with 80GB to a $120 a month plan with 400GB.

I don't even use my 80GB but knowing there's extra if needed is very very nice.

Upon some thoughts, i may actually change to the 100/100 plan. I don't think i need 400GB and 200GB should do fine, also saving my old man $30 a month in payments.

Dead Man

giri said:
I'm currently with iinet, they're good. Reliable, pings are auiight (comparable with inode).

They've stopped their free streaming of EPL games though, and i'm not sure if they're going to do their super 14 coverage again either.

evlcookie said:
Been with them for 6 and a half years, No major issues here at all. Heck i honestly can't remember the last one.

I'm happy since i go from a $130 a month plan with 80GB to a $120 a month plan with 400GB.

I don't even use my 80GB but knowing there's extra if needed is very very nice.

Upon some thoughts, i may actually change to the 100/100 plan. I don't think i need 400GB and 200GB should do fine, also saving my old man $30 a month in payments.
Thanks. I'm selling my house at the end of the year, so I'm not changing right now, but they have definitely made my short list with those packages.

Agyar

All iiNet plans now include metered uploads though, which is a big change in terms of how the quota is metered and makes it harder to compare the existing plans to the new plans. I'm currently on a 50+50 bundled plan for 49.95 and the new 49.95 plan is 100+100 but meters uploads. Without some data of how much I upload per month, it's difficult to determine what my quota usage would be under the new plan, regardless of the numbers.

I will probably stay on my existing plan for the time being, especially seeing as I have concerns about what could happen to iiNet's network quality if they are now courting the TPG all-you-can-eat crowd.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't think iinet will have any major issues with quality of their network. They don't seem like the kind of company who goes and does this if they are unable to handle it.

The upload part is a bit scary for those who use torrents. It's a shame they have gone that way but it sounds like it was needed to do high quota plans.

Since i don't use torrents i personally don't care about the uploads. I started to monitor how much i did upload when i was considering switching to the new bigpond plans and found i did about 200MB a week. So i might look at 3GB between everyone a month, whoopdie doo.

Dead Man

Agyar said:
All iiNet plans now include metered uploads though, which is a big change in terms of how the quota is metered and makes it harder to compare the existing plans to the new plans. I'm currently on a 50+50 bundled plan for 49.95 and the new 49.95 plan is 100+100 but meters uploads. Without some data of how much I upload per month, it's difficult to determine what my quota usage would be under the new plan, regardless of the numbers.

I will probably stay on my existing plan for the time being, especially seeing as I have concerns about what could happen to iiNet's network quality if they are now courting the TPG all-you-can-eat crowd.
I'm with Adam at the moment, and they already measure uploads, but they do an equal quota for them, so I get 30 peak, 30 off peak, and 30 of uploads. My monthly usage has been pretty close to that recently, but mainly due to torrents for the last couple months. So if I got the bundled one, I would get 100/100 for about what I am paying now. Not bad.

rass

evlcookie said:
oh come on now

I literally just finished applying for the $60/mo 40gb naked plan with iinet, came in here to be excited. Now instead I am dreading reading the new plans :/
(no free spots for tpg on the box hill exchange)

edit:
according to the pdf I should get bumped across onto the newer naked-home-1 plan (same price) which has a bigger limit, but it also counts uploads? That isn't so bad I don't think.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dreading what? It's a free upgrade for you at $60 for naked adsl, you now get 50/50 so 100GB in total for the same price.

You should be happy, not sad.

Rahk

rass said:
oh come on now

I literally just finished applying for the $60/mo 40gb naked plan with iinet, came in here to be excited. Now instead I am dreading reading the new plans :/
Why? You'll be able to move to the new plans.

Also, naked always counted uploads.

Agyar

rass said:
oh come on now

edit:
according to the pdf I should get bumped across onto the newer naked-home-1 plan (same price) which has a bigger limit, but it also counts uploads? That isn't so bad I don't think.

iiNet Naked has always counted uploads.

legend166

I only just found this thread, which is why I haven't posted in the last two days. Not too happy about it being in Online. Non-regulars will struggle to find it.

Anyways, my last post was about thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy S. I got it. Well, I've signed up for it. Should arrive in a couple of days. Someone with an Android phone give me recommendations.

Edit: The reason I think it sucks that we're in Online is that before I know that if I posted in the thread the chances I'd get a reply soon was pretty high, since most of us browse gaming. But now people have to specifically open the thread. Which sorta sucks.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
legend166 said:
I only just found this thread, which is why I haven't posted in the last two days. Not too happy about it being in Online. Non-regulars will struggle to find it.

Anyways, my last post was about thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy S. I got it. Well, I've signed up for it. Should arrive in a couple of days. Someone with an Android phone give me recommendations.

I reviewed some apps and some games. But there is really not that many good games up there.

markot

Banned
legend166 said:

Edit: The reason I think it sucks that we're in Online is that before I know that if I posted in the thread the chances I'd get a reply soon was pretty high, since most of us browse gaming. But now people have to specifically open the thread. Which sorta sucks.

Get it on Virgin?

Iphone doesnt have many good games either >.<

Rahk

Mailed your Xbox, Kritz.

markot said:
Get it on Virgin?

Iphone doesnt have many good games either >.<
Really? I've played a bunch of good games and I've only had it for a couple weeks.

markot

Banned
There are a few ok ones, but it is a steaming pile full of knock offs and rip offs so shameless its shameful.

Vegetable Samurai.

VEGETABLE SAMURAI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom