• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians.

farmerboy

University of Oxford.

Ivermectin may still prove to be useful.

On a broader note, there has never been more information (and mis information for that matter) instantly available to the masses. I'm a wee bit worried that only a few control its flow through the internet.

h00ters

Has Youtube specified which information is false?

This was one of the big recent pieces that led to him getting dumped from his column in the Daily Telegraph. Saying the Delta strain is 1/20th as deadly and that you're more likely to die if you've been vaccinated. Fast forward to 3:30 mark.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned
Looks like another snap lockdown will be happening in Melbourne.

Ohhh, poor old News Ltd is upset at being banned from YT. Fuck 'em!

But a clip from May 3 of one of those presenters, controversial broadcaster Alan Jones, had breached YouTube’s COVID-19 misinformation guidelines. And since Sky had already received a warning from YouTube last December, it meant the Rupert Murdoch-owned broadcaster could not upload videos to the platform for seven days.

In the video, Jones claimed that COVID-19 was not by definition a pandemic due the number of deaths globally and that the death toll in India was not as bad as what the news had made out. The WHO designated COVID-19 a pandemic in March last year.

“We seem to have redefined the word pandemic,” Jones thunders in the video. “It seems to be now about the number of cases that keep being recited to us in alarming language everyday. Many members of our Indian family are in India, because they had exemptions to attend a family funeral, or a wedding or a birth.” Those claims were rejected by his interviewee, Burnet Institute epidemiologist Professor Mike Toole.

--

When YouTube informed Sky News of its strike, it also said it had removed 14 videos which were aired before discussions took place between the two organisations in December. YouTube only removes historical content in breach of the latest guidelines if it is made aware of a video through its artificial intelligence technology or via a user. YouTube would not clarify when it made its latest updates to its misinformation guidelines.

--

For his part, Jones has issued two corrections to comments he made on Sky last week. One clarification was related to his stance on vaccinations and the other was related to misinformation he presented with renegade federal MP Craig Kelly about COVID-19, vaccination safety and the Delta strain. The video that caused Sky’s suspension from YouTube was not included or discussed in either on-air correction.

Australians doing research on Google's algorithm Basically seeing whether different users get different search results based on what Google knows about them. We know they have a track record of kowtowing to countries requests in blocking content, but it'll be interesting to see to what extent they manipulate results in a democratic country. There's also a bit about Google's recent efforts in curating search results e.g. regarding COVID, but who knows how far they go.

Aarbron

Looks like another snap lockdown will be happening in Melbourne.
moved to tears crying GIF

Australians doing research on Google's algorithm Basically seeing whether different users get different search results based on what Google knows about them. We know they have a track record of kowtowing to countries requests in blocking content, but it'll be interesting to see to what extent they manipulate results in a democratic country. There's also a bit about Google's recent efforts in curating search results e.g. regarding COVID, but who knows how far they go.
Of course they fucking do is the answer.

see you guys on the other side. Lockdowns are one thing, but if people have symptoms and they're going out or they're just not reporting anything (unless asymptomatic), fuck them. They deserve their dole money taken away

Bullet Club

Banned
There's a march going on in Melbourne right now and as I post this they are all singing What's Going On by 4 Non Blondes.

KiNeMz

Banned
I don't agree with sky News but you guys touting that it's great they are being deplatformed? I don't want them gone. I want them there. They are the only counter voice. You say they are dangerous? It's way more dangerous having them gone. And saying ABC is the place to go? Jeez.

Yoboman

I don't agree with sky News but you guys touting that it's great they are being deplatformed? I don't want them gone. I want them there. They are the only counter voice. You say they are dangerous? It's way more dangerous having them gone. And saying ABC is the place to go? Jeez.
Murdoch's Sky News is the only counter voice to Murdoch's 70% of the rest of the media in the country?

L4LeYUa.jpg

FunkMiller

Counter voices don't help if they are spewing conspiracy theory level bullshit.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

29 new cases in Victoria. I think we will be locked down for more than 7 days.

319 for NSW.
Lockdown over 29 cases, this is bizarro land. Is there no media outlets pointing out how stupid this is? Is there any governmental aid being given to afflicted companies and employees?

FunkMiller

Lockdown over 29 cases, this is bizarro land. Is there no media outlets pointing out how stupid this is? Is there any governmental aid being given to afflicted companies and employees?

It is fucking stupid - but not for the reasons you think.

They have no choice but to lock down with such tiny levels, because if they don’t, the virus spreads, and they have no defence against it because the government fucked up the vaccine rollout so badly. That’s the stupid part. This god bothering loon right here:

prime minister wow GIF by Australian Open

Bullet Club

Banned
I don't like either of them.

I'm still waiting for Toobs! Although The Reject Shop do have a no name version of them that are nice.

FunkMiller

Magpies everywhere else: black and white harmless wing twats.

Magpies in Australia: monochrome psychopathic baby killers.

Really sad to hear that. Don't know what's up with them, but the last month I've been swooped twice by those smaller black and white birds, not sure if they're also magpies. Doesn't really hurt but it's a bit of a surprise.

h00ters

God help me if my beloved Dees make the GF this year and:

1) It ends up getting played in Perth
2) We end up winning the bloody thing.

Has been a lifelong dream of mine to sit in the stands with my Dad after 32 years of watching us, for the most part, suck. Will be a real bitter sweet moment if it were to happen over in Perth.

farmerboy

God help me if my beloved Dees make the GF this year and:

1) It ends up getting played in Perth
2) We end up winning the bloody thing.

Has been a lifelong dream of mine to sit in the stands with my Dad after 32 years of watching us, for the most part, suck. Will be a real bitter sweet moment if it were to happen over in Perth.

Bloody hell, I hadn't considered that yet. Kinda feel ya buddy. In the 2010 GF replay, I spat the dummy when I realised I'd be away on holiday. Was bummed not to watch the Maggies win with my brother and family.

Silver lining; I only went to QLD and rearranged some stuff so I at least got to watch us win with a fellow supporter and lifelong friend.

My son and one friend were bike riding (allowed under exercise rules) in our zone and there was dozens of kids at the park where two separate police patrols drove through. No action but keeping tabs on things I suppose.

Also how about a spicy supermarket shop...that's a lot of SSSssssss

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned
Congrats to Gladys on breaking the Australian: record: 825 new cases in NSW.

Big protests have been happening in Sydney & Melbourne. Crowds throwing bottles at the police. Cops using pepper spray.

Top Bottom