• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Award season is upon us: What games do you want us to not overlook?

Last year, I made a thread posing this same question, because year after year there are always people complaining about AAA games dominating GOTY voting:

The GOTY category is essentially "Best AAA Game".
Best single-player AAA game it seems.
Ahh, the yearly AAA-games popularity contest!

And yet like clockwork, when Time's Top 10 of 2016 came out this year, there were dozens of posts saying "I've never heard of X," or "No DOOM disqualifies the list!" and a number of claims that the list was picking a bunch of "unknown" indies for clickbait purposes. So once again, we see the unfortunate place that list-makers are put in where if they include too many AAA games, they're derided for being too mainstream and if they put too many “artsy” indie games they're mocked for pretension (albeit by different crowds).

Of course the problem is that most of us can’t play every remotely "good" game that comes out in a year. So, given how year after year people inevitably whine about their favorite game being overlooked, and to prepare us for waves of GOTY lists with "controversial" omissions/inclusions, I wanted to ask what games you each think we should play before award season kicks it into higher gear. Give us a game (or two) that you think we really should play that might otherwise slip under the radar and help us cut down on the waves of whining about "hipster lists," and "clickbait"and "pretentiousness" and "never heard of X," etc!

Just like last year, please do not just driveby and dump the name of a game in the thread. We don't have a whole lot of time left in the year, and time is valuable for all of us. Tell us about the game that you're a fan of. Why might it be overlooked? Did it come out too early in the year or did the mainstream just not pick up on it? Did reviewers "misunderstand" it? What makes it so great? Is it your GOTY or just in your top 10? Why we should invest our precious time into the game you picked? Is it for a certain audience? Does it have some kind of special impact, say in terms of social messages?

This is your chance to make your case to the rest of us.

Take it it!

5zZSX5R.jpg

hWqofNp.jpg

ctyrBNI.jpg

(Some of the year's less "Blockbuster-ish" releases that we might want to consider:
Salt and Sanctuary, Hearts of Iron IV, Planet Coaster, Kirby: Planet Robobot,
Stellaris, Dragon Quest Builders, Enter the Gungeon, Grim Dawn,
Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Tumblestone, Pocket Card Jockey, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir,
Pony Island, Starbound, Darkest Dungeon, Severed,
Abzu, BoxBoxBoy!, Crashlands, Tyranny,
That Dragon, Cancer, Unraveled, Steins;Gate 0, Stephen's Sausage Roll
1979 Revolution: Black Friday, This War of Mine: The Little Ones, Owlboy, Picross 3D Round 2
Offworld Trading Company, The Banner Saga 2, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
Alienation, Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate, Shadow Warrior 2, Reigns,
I Am Setsuna, Yomawari: Night Alone, Assault Android Cactus, Clustertruck,
Killing Floor 2, Silence, American Truck Simulator, Samorost 3
Motorsport Manager, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Icey, SHENZHEN I/O
)

killroy87

It would be a shame if Dragon Quest Builders didn't get its due. The demo thread was a wave of people going from "meh" to "day one" after seeing that it's more than just DQ Minecraft.

As well, as odd as it seems I feel like Fire Emblem kind of came and went, despite being three incredible games.

The House In Fata Morgana.

An incredible, well-written, perfectly paced story.

A soundtrack that'll be as utterly memorable 10 years from now as it is today.

Revolutionarily detailed and expressive art.

Possibly the most fleshed-out characters in a game, at least in 2016. (Can't go into detail here :( )

Seriously, it's sold criminally low.

Steam Link

The most underrated game I have ever played.

Seriously, you have to give it a chance if you value stories in the slightest in gaming.

You have to give a chance even if you do not value them, since this can be the game to change that opinion.

edit: Gonna have to go into a voluntary ban until 2017 due to school stuff soon. VNGAF, don't let me down!

edit 2: I recommend buying the Deluxe Edition if you do decide to buy it. The OST is worth listening to over and over again.

mrmickfran

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (my personal GOTY)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator

Hyper Light Drifter - Amazing Zelda-like with great gameplay and no hand holding.
Mother Russia Bleeds - Streets of Rage 2 run through a Hotline Miami filter with 4 player couch co-op. Yep, it's awesome.
Overcooked - 4 Player couch co-op frantic cooking sim.

3 GOTY contenders right there.

Edit: Added reasons why they're great games.

DrArchon

If it doesn't come out for consoles soon, I fear the only person that'll bring up Stardew Valley in GOTY discussions might be Dan Ryckert at Giant Bomb. The curse of releasing early in the year I suppose.

Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise Megamix is one of the most satisfying rhythm games I've ever played, has insane amounts of content, and packs even more infectious and addictive surrealism as a package than previous entries.

Atelier Sophie is an excellent refinement of a formula I love, and whether you bemoan the loss of the time limits or not, there's been plenty of Atelier games with them. A breath of fresh air to the franchise.

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir looks stunning even on Vita and has an immensely satisfying gameplay loop and great OST.

Paper Mario: Colour Splash has the gentle charm of a lost Gamecube game and is well worth your time if you can look past the battle system.

Kirby: Planet Robobot is the best Kirby game yet and made me grin like a buffoon.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

GoAT indie game. Amazing story with a lot of fun and interesting characters, great mix of humor with some more serious tones, best got dang soundtrack, and it's not a metroidvania. Learning everyone's tastes and getting different dialogue depending on their drunkness is really interesting too.

Rellik

It's not something I ever considered until I saw that image you posted, but American Truck Simulator definitely needs to get some kind of pat on the back. A lot of people see the "Simulator" name and *insert German simulator meme* but those Truck Sim games are actually a lot of fun. The perfect podcast game, too. Just put on some music/podcast and go driving the roads. Before you know it, you've racked up hours upon hours.

Is it game of the year? No, far from it. But I don't think it should be buried away.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
HA. I forgot PW:AASJ came out this year!
y'all mofos need to give us some reasons though. Sell us on why we should bother playing these games!

thenexus6

Two indies for me

Hyper Light Drifter - My game of the year.

Gorgeous art (the best pixel art i've seen)
Best soundtrack of the year by Disasterpeace
Tight, rewarding gameplay

It's not perfect (total lack of hand holding, map is hard to use, no tracker on collectibles etc) but its so worth checking out.

Next is Oxenfree. Really cool story, with alot of replayability. Again gorgeous visuals and soundtrack. Great voice acting. Just a really cool enjoyable game. Walking back and forth can get annoying but its not too bad.

Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise Megamix is one of the most satisfying rhythm games I've ever played, has insane amounts of content, and packs even more infectious and addictive surrealism as a package than previous entries.

Atelier Sophie is an excellent refinement of a formula I love, and whether you bemoan the loss of the time limits or not, there's been plenty of Atelier games with them. A breath of fresh air to the franchise.

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir looks stunning even on Vita and has an immensely satisfying gameplay loop and great OST.

Paper Mario: Colour Splash has the gentle charm of a lost Gamecube game and is well worth your time if you can look past the battle system.

Kirby: Planet Robobot is the best Kirby game yet and made me grin like a buffoon.
Rhythm Heaven Megamix was a game I meant to play this year, but honestly forgot that it came out. It felt like a total non-event. Really weird.

I haven't finished many games this year - as I get older I dabble here and there rather than get sucked in - but I did play Inside. That was a very well made short and engaging game. Would recommend. I did buy it on Sale though and as I said I don't finish many games nowadays so maybe it sticks out because I did.

Wurst

Stardew Valley
It will be thoroughly forgotten by everyone. It's such a well crafted game with an unbelievable amount of content and love stuffed into it.. and it was made by ONE GUY. This game chews hours like it's nothing.. it's that addictive. It perfected the Harvest Moon / Rune Factory formula.
ConcernedApe deserves praise. He's a wonderful guy, still pumping out free content patches and the console ports. This game also sold extremely well. So there's no excuse why it shouldn't be nominated, aside it not being AAA.

I've spent countless hours on my farm and the city. And I can't wait to do it all over again in Switch.

jem0208

Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

It was disregarded because of supposed "open world bloat" and a meh storyline. I contest that it had superb gameplay which was only improved by the open world. The storyline wasn't that bad either.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix was a game I meant to play this year, but honestly forgot that it came out. It felt like a total non-event. Really weird.

If you're in the US, that was probably because it only got a digital release for some daft reason, but was an 'Avaliable Now' E3 not-conference moment.

If not, well it got a physical here in Europe, but months later than the US and with admittedly no fanfare.

It's sad it'll be overlooked by many who would have loved it because Nintendo didn't signpost its release enough.

Teggy

Obduction is a great puzzle/adventure from the makers of Myst (I think?). Really clever puzzles that aren't obscure or illogical and a really unique environment.

Also this thread is just proof that there are just too many damn games. I mean, that's good, but it makes being able to play all the worthy goty contenders impossible.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions

I keep telling myself I should give Tokyo Mirage Sessions a go. I'm playing FFXV right now, though, so I don't know when I can realistically get to it. Probably not in time for GOTY.

As for my picks, I'll go with a few other people here and say Hyper Light Drifter. Someone else mentioned how little hand holding it does and how semi-useless the map is and said those are negatives, but that's part of what I love about it. The art and colors and music all contribute to a fantastic sense of place that I really dig. It's great.

Also, SUPERHOT. It's crazy-short, but the time freezing mechanic is a lot of fun, and the idiotic story that played between levels actually had me smiling quite often. It's really dumb, but in a good way.

Weebos

Banned
The House In Fata Morgana.

An incredible, well-written, perfectly paced story.

A soundtrack that'll be as utterly memorable 10 years from now as it is today.

Revolutionarily detailed and expressive art.

Possibly the most fleshed-out characters in a game, at least in 2016. (Can't go into detail here :( )

Seriously, it's sold criminally low.

Steam Link

The most underrated game I have ever played.

Seriously, you have to give it a chance if you value stories in the slightest in gaming.

You have to give a chance even if you do not value them, since this can be the game to change that opinion.

edit: Gonna have to go into a voluntary ban until 2017 due to school stuff soon. VNGAF, don't let me down!

edit 2: I recommend buying the Deluxe Edition if you do decide to buy it. The OST is worth listening to over and over again.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

GoAT indie game. Amazing story with a lot of fun and interesting characters, great mix of humor with some more serious tones, best got dang soundtrack, and it's not a metroidvania. Learning everyone's tastes and getting different dialogue depending on their drunkness is really interesting too.

These games look awesome, I wish they were available on literally any console, I hardly turn my PC on these days.

It's in the OP pictures, but definitely Pocket Card Jockey.

I've played a shitload of good games this year; Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, Civ 6, Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which could be another contender for overlooked game), The Witness, Inside, Doom, FF 15, etc. etc. But the game that I keep coming back to is this game that makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Super basic solitaire with horse-racing; two concepts that I couldn't care less about, turned into one of the most addictive things I've played ever.

These games look awesome, I wish they were available on literally any console, I hardly turn my PC on these days.

Fata Morgana is a visual novel from 2012. It could probably run on a potato, in other words. There's an upcoming Vita port and a released 3DS port, though they're Japanese only (it really saddens me that the Vita port will likely not be localized... ;_;)

Just make sure the potato is waterproof because the tears will not be stopping

Corpekata

Banned
Duskers.

It's utterly unique. You control a ship and its drones in a universe of derelict spaceships. You have to control them to salvage and survive. You do so via an antiquated Ridley Scott's Alien sort of computer UI. While you can manually control them, the meat of the game is in the text commands you can (and must) give them. Incredibly tense as you try to suss out what rooms have threats, and panicing as you command a door to be closed when you were wrong. Or trying to save your drones as an asteroid hits and the ship is suddenly irradiated.

It takes some getting used to, but it's a great game and there's very little like it. It is one of those indie games that actually uses the format of the PC as an integral cornerstone, rather than just being on the platform because that's the easiet platform to succeed on (not that I mind games that do that).

dugdug

Banned
Battleborn.

I know, I know. Overwatch.

But, nope. I stand by it. Played both extensively, and I liked Battleborn a lot more. One of my favorites of the year.

yurinka

Leap Day
My favorite mobile game in years, feature the best platforming gameplay I ever saw in a mobile game (and I'm a mobile gaming dev since 11+ years ago), awesome pixel art, very cool music, innovative ideas handling the daily levels & rewards. It's insanely addictive.

leap_day-5.jpg

Sadly people who never plays mobile games will give the "best mobile game" to Pokemon Go because they heard it was supersuccessful and from a traditional gaming brand they know, but it's just a reskinned game using a popular IP.

CHC

I hope that INSIDE doesn't get forgotten because of how small and obscure it is.

I also hope that Dishonored 2 doesn't get overshadowed by its late arrival and technical flaws. It's an excellent, excellent game.

Edit: Ironic I mention these two as I'm now noticing they are both absent from the OP.... Guess I'm hoping in vain.

Fata Morgana is a visual novel from 2012. It could probably run on a potato, in other words. There's an upcoming Vita port and a released 3DS port, though they're Japanese only (it really saddens me that the Vita port will likely not be localized... ;_;)

Hmm, seems like the sort of thing Aksys or PQube might localize. I hope so, anyway, as I don't have a potato.

Zebetite

Banned
Fire Emblem Fates, Conquest specifically, is the only option in my mind for my personal GOTY. I was still swapping stories, facts and strategies with internet friends actual months after release. I'm trying desperately to keep certain facts in mind on a daily basis for a potential Lunatic run next year. People were bummed about the story but whatever, dude, the only good stories in Fire Emblem games are the ones you make yourself- so and so died here, it was really sad, but we had to press on. Conquest, more than nearly any other game in the series, encourages those sorts of stories with its crazy mechanics and tight difficulty that will have you seriously considering whether you should press on instead of resetting.

What I'm trying to say is fuck the haters, FE Fates Conquest is The Best Fire Emblem Game.

Corpekata

Banned
I hope that INSIDE doesn't get forgotten because of how small and obscure it is.

I also hope that Dishonored 2 doesn't get overshadowed by its late arrival and technical flaws. It's an excellent, excellent game.

Edit: Ironic I mention these two as I'm now noticing they are both absent from the OP.... Guess I'm hoping in vain.

Inside is not small or obscure. The OP likely didn't mention it because it is one of the most resounding indie successes of the year, and thus is not going to get forgotten. if it can get GOTY nominations at the Game Awards, it's not obscure.

Thores

Zero Time Dilemma was a satisfying conclusion to a story I've loved for nearly a decade. It might not have been perfect, but I really enjoyed what I got.

Dragon Quest 7 is another "finally!", a western release of a high quality JRPG that I've been begging for for years. I hope that after we've asked for both these games for so long, we haven't already forgotten them.

and I'm throwing in another vote for Pocket Card Jockey, which was quite possibly the biggest surprise of the year for me in terms of how much I enjoyed it. I knew I'd like ZTD. I knew Overwatch would be good. I'm blown away by how much I adored PCJ.

Can confirm runs on my
sadly non-waterproof
portable potato (GPD WIN), so at least it's playable in English portably through some means.

Raw64life

Came for Dragon Quest Builders. OP and first reply did not disappoint. Good work.

Kirby is another good one.

Also DQ7, although technically it's a 4 year old game that was just released in the west this year.

Although they've both been mentioned in this thread, actually intentionally Inside and Stardew Valley off the list because I figured they were probably two of the only indies that might actually be remembered in GOTY voting. Same for The Witness.
Inside is not small or obscure. The OP likely didn't mention it because it is one of the most resounding indie successes of the year, and thus is not going to get forgotten. if it can get GOTY nominations at the Game Awards, it's not obscure.
Yep. Basically my thought process was that it got a GOTY nomination at TGA, so it can't be hurting that much for recognition.

People are welcome to make a case for why those who haven't played it should do so though!

Wikzo

I have three indie games that I think might be overlooked: SUPERHOT, Clustertruck and Four Sided Fantasy. All of them focus on one unique core mechanic and only focus on exploring that specific area instead of filling in a lot of unnecessary clutter.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

NormalWrap02.gif

Xliskin

Titanfall 2 - Taking COD formula and remix it a bit and add mecha fighting to it is brilliant idea

Hyper Light Drifter - Remember the feels when you first played the original dark Souls ?! " should I go there or here - where do I use this item - what is this thing?!!! " you don't feel lost in a bad way but it gives you the sense of wonder and take risks the art style , music and the world amazing

Zukkoyaki

I'd say Amplitude which will almost certainly be forgotten considering it's smaller than the original and launched literally less than a week into 2016.

Also Enter the Gungeon which was a magnificent blend of twin-stick shooter and rogue-like that has an old-school Zelda aesthetic. Excellent game!

Hitman - It deserves way more credit than it got. Top notch level design and mission design with so many different ways to take out each target it's almost overwhelming but in the best sense.

Top Bottom