• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bates Motel Season 3 |OT| Til Death (Mondays 9/8pm Central)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao that peter pan chat was so corny. and then norman makes this weird whimper that sounds like he had an accident in his pants.

emma is so thirsty.

norman worried about norma
norma's like youre worried about me? lol

also, end of episode.

that's not annika's body right? her hair was blonde. it's not bradley's? LOL

harSon

Banned
Vera Farmiga looks so damn stunning in this show. I don't really find her attractive in general, but in this show............

The Roku A&E app shows full episodes of Season 3 without a cable subscription. Probably true for any device that has an A&E app. The first two seasons are on Netflix for anyone who needs to catch up.

S1/S2 you actually had to log in with cable to watch at least when you wanted to next the new episodes the next day and all.. looks like they updated to not need login.

KingKong

Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are carrying this show but please, enough Dylan and his daddy, can we just skip past the part where they get closer and closer until they bond and his dad betrays him

Episode 3 up on Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/watch/768791#i0,p0,d0 watch it now to catch up and join in on the discussion.

So the takeaway from the episode is that norma is strong as fuck. kicking that door open.

Norman going full crazy on a bed and finally stepping up to his mom and they are growing slowly apart. I think now Norman will end up trying to kill himself just to remember what happened when things go to shit.

also i'm also not feeling this dylan/caleb storyline. why are they even there. it's like we should have a drug story line but keep it light so we'll have 3 guys up in the mountains building a greenhouse.

also any guess to
who shot annika?

Mumei

I just finished season one over the weekend. Vera is probably the highlight for me. I just enjoy her batshit tendencies. It's good to hear that the second season is better than the first; the first season was on the tipping point of my really enjoying it.

I just finished season one over the weekend. Vera is probably the highlight for me. I just enjoy her batshit tendencies. It's good to hear that the second season is better than the first; the first season was on the tipping point of my really enjoying it.

third season of her is great along with norman. his character development is probably now feeling so serial.

The first season was really solid, second season was alright, and this third season (keep in mind I've only seen the first two episodes so far) has been disappointing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One of my favorite aspects of this show is how White Pine Bay is just full of creeps and psychos.

Thought this was the best episode of Season 3 so far. Norman was going pretty wild, you just know he'll mess up the Emma relationship pretty soon.

The third season has bounced back nicely from the mediocre second season IMO, but the Dylan/Caleb story is kind of dragging. That really needs to go somewhere, especially since Dylan's abysmal weed storyline was the low point of last season.

S1/S2 you actually had to log in with cable to watch at least when you wanted to next the new episodes the next day and all.. looks like they updated to not need login.
I never had to log in for S2. I watched it all the way through on the A&E Roku app. S1, I don't know, because I watched that on Netflix.

The third season has bounced back nicely from the mediocre second season IMO, but the Dylan/Caleb story is kind of dragging. That really needs to go somewhere, especially since Dylan's abysmal weed storyline was the low point of last season.

i don't think it's going anywhere. it's such a small filler for the main story they will keep it until the end of the season when their greenhouse gets burnt down by the neighbor.

i don't think it's going anywhere. it's such a small filler for the main story they will keep it until the end of the season when their greenhouse gets burnt down by the neighbor.
Well, Kenny Johnson (Caleb, AKA Lem from The Shield) got added to the main cast, and his history with Norma is flat-out nuts, so I don't think he and Dylan will remain in the background for much longer.

Edit: Plus, now that Emma knows about Caleb, Norma will eventually find out somehow (probably through mama's boy Norman after Emma blabs about that to him
and blabs to Quaid about Mars
). No reason for that scene otherwise.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm in season 1 (binging), and while there are things I don't love (the pot story), I truly believe that Vera Farmiga is doing some of the most interesting and best work on television.

Also, does Jere Burns ever play a good guy?

(I'm on 108)

ivysaur12

Banned
They reaaaaaaaaaaally are stretching Dylan's motivations for being mad at Norma for being raped by her brother. Like, even if you wonder why she had you, that visceral reaction that she had when he walked in the door might give you a hint that, huh, maybe she didn't want to have sex with him. Most people don't want to have sex with their brothers! And like, he just sort of buys it!

Tarkus

Now Norman, that hardwood floor is going to hurt your knees when you're smashing Emma's pound cake.

Doh Norman!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I said it on Twitter, which the showrunner seemed to enjoy, but this show has a knack for getting so hilariously awkward that I can barely stand it. This episode had a few of those moments, like
Norman making out with Emma to make Norma jealous, complete with eye contact
(spoiled for Ivy). It's sooo cringey and funny, my body physically can't take it and starts convulsing to shake off the awkward.

Norman's diving down the rabbit hole so fast, I'm really not sure how the show can keep up the pace.

ivysaur12

Banned
The season 3 premiere was significantly better than most in season 2. Good sign. It's keeping the world small. I had been burned on the pot story (I'm sorry), so it was nice to see a bit of a reboot there.

It's the best thing in the world.

Also the music choices on this show are horrendous. So CW. Like, bad CW.

This is my cheese ball, guilty pleasure show. There's the top quality, grade A stuff on TV that I watch like The Americans and Better Call Saul and probably Fargo when that comes back. And then there's C grade stuff like this, but it's still slightly entertaining. But the storylines outside of Norman going mental are paper thin and pretty uninteresting.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I will say that Norma and Romero's goodbye in the 2nd episode was so much more perfect than I could have imagined. Two great characters.

Norman's reaction to the Peter Pan / Wendy sex stuff was also wonderful.

The whole second episode was one of the better (funnier) episodes in a long time.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is my cheese ball, guilty pleasure show. There's the top quality, grade A stuff on TV that I watch like The Americans and Better Call Saul and probably Fargo when that comes back. And then there's C grade stuff like this, but it's still slightly entertaining. But the storylines outside of Norman going mental are paper thin and pretty uninteresting.

Eh, see, maybe. I really liked season 1. I thought it was a really fun thrilled that played a lot with my expectation and really became this tragedy of all these steps people could've taken to stop Norman from becoming Norman. I really thought it was well done (especially the first 6 episodes). I found everything with Norman and Norma fascinating and so well done.

Season 2 slipped a lot because the world became way too large for this story. The story is about Norma both realizing and enabling her son's eventual turn into a murderer, not pot wars. And Dylan finding out that Caleb is his father was fantastic (like, a truly great reveal and a great character moment), and then... you know.

I'm watching episode 3 of season 3 now, and it's right back to what I loved about season 1. It's now this light chess match between Norman and everyone else, and the world is small. It's also following the Psycho story much more closely with Annika. It's back to being something interesting and thought provoking, coupled with its more thriller instincts.

Basically, I wouldn't call it "guilty pleasure", because I do think the show aspires for a lot, even if it never quite reaches the heights of its ambition. But when it does come close, or when it does hit the nail on the head, it really does a wonderful job.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA Emma in the car with the pot plants oh my god.

Mumei

I'm in season 1 (binging), and while there are things I don't love (the pot story), I truly believe that Vera Farmiga is doing some of the most interesting and best work on television.

Also, does Jere Burns ever play a good guy?

(I'm on 108)

I just caught up with Season 2, and Vera Farmiga is 90% of the reason I'm watching. Phenomenal stuff.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just caught up with Season 2, and Vera Farmiga is 90% of the reason I'm watching. Phenomenal stuff.

She's so good. And honestly, what they're doing with her character (especially in season 3) is really interesting character work.

Season 3 has been SUCH a step up from season 2 (middle of the last episode to air). I'm really impressed.

Mumei

She's so good. And honestly, what they're doing with her character (especially in season 3) is really interesting character work.

Season 3 has been SUCH a step up from season 2 (middle of the last episode to air). I'm really impressed.

Oh? Maybe I'll catch up instead of being lazy and waiting for it to show up on Netflix.

I never would have expected that one of my favorite acting performances on television would come from a prequel television series about Norman and Norma Bates, but then I wouldn't have expected that from a Hannibal television series on NBC. But Vera is a delight in every scene. I just can't imagine this working with someone else playing Norma.

Episode 4 on Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/watch/771761

Norman and Emma take a day off from the motel. Romero investigates two mysterious deaths in White Pine Bay. Norma goes back to school. Buried secrets unravel for Caleb and Dylan. Guest stars: Peter Stebbings, Keenan Tracey, Joshua Leonard, Kevin Rahm.

Episode 5 "The Deal" Preview - http://www.aetv.com/bates-motel/video/preview-the-deal

When Norma finds herself in a rare position of power, she appeals to Romero for guidance. Norman and Dylan both come undone at the fallout of a secret. Caleb considers an offer made to him by a surprising source.

Leeness

Not a fan of them trying to make Caleb a sympathetic character :|

I am, however, entirely on board with Norma/Romero. Make it happen, Bates Motel!

This deal of Norma's is going to completely explode in her face, probably very very soon.

Striker

I watched the first two seasons on Netflix and enjoyed both. Emma is really cute.

Not counting on Season 3 to get on there until next year so I thought about grabbing Hulu to catch some of the new episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom