• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Anime Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Valth0nis said:
is there a site up for this yet?

No, apparently there's going to be a special feature on it included with the Justice League cartoon DVD that comes out at the end of Feb, so I'm guessing that's when the news roll out will be. Fingers crossed! :D

7Th

duckroll said:
I'm sure I'm totally off with Kamiyama and Oshii, but I just can't think of people at PIG that are really good at Omnibus projects, it's proably why they don't do many to begin with.

I would hope they could give a chance to their lesser known directors...

Hitokage said:
Not everyone can jump the shark like the Gurren Lagann finale.

It's easier to opinionatedly name-drop than to argue, apparently. Kamiyama is the definition of a "by-the-numbers" director; his style only works for decent, if bland, storytelling rather than the swift conceptual punch required for a competent short film.

This could be great.

Something I'd love to see would be a Production I.G. movie adaptation of Paul Pope's Batman Year 100 (or maybe a Gonzo production kind of in the style of Afro Samurai).
batman-year-100-1.jpg

Paul Pope's even spent some time in Japan.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Eteric Rice said:
They should make it into a series.

Perhaps they would be able to spur intrest for American comics in Japan.
Let's ask them.

"Hey Japan, you know how you're used to comics that are punctual, always drawn/written by the same person/people, have character development that won't be reneged upon, and have promise of an eventual ending? Why aren't you crazy for comics that are often delayed, have wildly fluctuating quality in art and writing, whose characters recieve one major bit of character development per decade which is usually later retconned, and have no hope of an ending?"

It's a mystery.

Batman's already pretty popular in Japan, all the same.

duckroll

7Th said:
I would hope they could give a chance to their lesser known directors...

Any suggestions? I do think that Kamiyama would be a really good fit for Batman personally. Oshii not so much.

It's easier to opinionatedly name-drop than to argue, apparently. Kamiyama is the definition of a "by-the-numbers" director; his style only works for decent, if bland, storytelling rather than the swift conceptual punch required for a competent short film.

While I agree that he is a by-the-numbers director, he's very good at it. Many stand alone GitS:SAC and GitS:2ndGIG episodes say that you're wrong in that he can't handle a self contained single episode story well. He's more than capable if the script is right, the only thing lacking is that he doesn't have a unique style or technique to his directing, so it largely relies more on the source material than his eye for the "camera" so to speak.

7Th

duckroll said:
Any suggestions? I do think that Kamiyama would be a really good fit for Batman personally. Oshii not so much.

I would enjoy seeing IG giving animators a chance, it worked wonders with Okiura. In fact, Okiura would be the best fit for this project. Other good choices that albeit not being insiders have a history with the studio would be Nakazawa, Ishii or Imaishi.

duckroll said:
While I agree that he is a by-the-numbers director, he's very good at it. Many stand alone GitS:SAC and GitS:2ndGIG episodes say that you're wrong in that he can't handle a self contained single episode story well. He's more than capable if the script is right, the only thing lacking is that he doesn't have a unique style or technique to his directing, so it largely relies more on the source material than his eye for the "camera" so to speak.

Short animation films are reliant in style and ideas. As a whole I believe his take on the Batman mythos would end up competent but ultimately unsatisfying when compared to the work of a more visually distinguished director.

duckroll

7Th said:
I would enjoy seeing IG giving animators a chance, it worked wonders with Okiura. In fact, Okiura would be the best fit for this project. Other good choices that albeit not being insiders have a history with the studio would be Nakazawa, Ishii or Imaishi.

Imaishi on Batman? No thanks. Especially not Bale's vision of Gotham. :p The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Production IG is indeed the weakest link in this omnibus project. Should've gone with BONES! :lol

Short animation films are reliant in style and ideas. As a whole I believe his take on the Batman mythos would end up competent but ultimately unsatisfying when compared to the work of a more visually distinguished director.

The problem is really that PIG lacks visually distinguishing directors - period. Aside from Oshii (lolz) many of the newer PIG directors are young guys that are very competent but safe. Even the older more respected directors that have worked with PIG of late have really been playing it safe. Look at Chevalier for example.

7Th

duckroll said:
Imaishi on Batman? No thanks. Especially not Bale's vision of Gotham. :p The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Production IG is indeed the weakest link in this omnibus project. Should've gone with BONES! :lol

I would think Imaishi would work fantastically on a Superman adaptation, though. Still, why not Okiura and Nakazawa? IG is indeed the weakest link of the production, but if they do something along the lines of their XXXHolic or Blood movies it could work.

duckroll said:
The problem is really that PIG lacks visually distinguishing directors - period. Aside from Oshii (lolz) many of the newer PIG directors are young guys that are very competent but safe. Even the older more respected directors that have worked with PIG of late have really been playing it safe. Look at Chevalier for example.

I do believe the talent for creativity is there, they just fail to exploit it successfully and end up swallowing down every unique touch for a less risky approach.

I want to see the japanese work their magic on the X-men series. The animation in the japanese intro for 90s x-men cartoon series was better than the whole show.

Valth0nis

duckroll said:
No, apparently there's going to be a special feature on it included with the Justice League cartoon DVD that comes out at the end of Feb, so I'm guessing that's when the news roll out will be. Fingers crossed! :D

Awesome, thanks for the response :O:

Banned
Shig said:
Let's ask them.

"Hey Japan, you know how you're used to comics that are punctual, always drawn/written by the same person/people, have character development that won't be reneged upon, and have promise of an eventual ending? Why aren't you crazy for comics that are often delayed, have wildly fluctuating quality in art and writing, whose characters recieve one major bit of character development per decade which is usually later retconned, and have no hope of an ending?"

It's a mystery.

Batman's already pretty popular in Japan, all the same.
Do you have any knowledge about the American Comicbook industry?
I would think Imaishi would work fantastically on a Superman adaptation, though. Still, why not Okiura and Nakazawa? IG is indeed the weakest link of the production, but if they do something along the lines of their XXXHolic or Blood movies it could work.
When was the last time IG made something like Blood?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Penguin said:
An early look at the cover and better look at a costume.
Fixed. The costume and look is going to be different in each short.

duckroll

Dan said:
Fixed. The costume and look is going to be different in each short.

We don't really know that. We know the look and style for each short will probably be different, but the base design might very well be the same. I'm not really digging the novel cover though, seems skinny and kinda weak.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
duckroll said:
We don't really know that. We know the look and style for each short will probably be different, but the base design might very well be the same. I'm not really digging the novel cover though, seems skinny and kinda weak.
This design is blatantly different from the previous image we've seen. Look at the cape and the different insignia.

Penguin

Dan said:
This design is blatantly different from the previous image we've seen. Look at the cape and the different insignia.
Yeah the emblem is the most telling difference.
As the first released image has the classic black on yellow design, while this features the new bat on costume look.

madara

Linkzg said:
The costume on that cover looks really weird. Not bad, just weird.

It looks like something dracula would wear.

Thats what it is, thanks I couldnt figure out what I thought it looked like. Dracula evening wear just about. Different..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nitewulf said:
well, perfect blue is noir, and so is batman. i really, really hope this works out.

I don't mean he can't do it. It just blows my mind, because his take on it is going to be so different than what we're used to. I'm very excited to see what they do with batman.

7Th

Honestly speaking, I'm sure duckroll is wrong. Imaishi's more stark style would work perfectly for Batman. He could probably tack a very gritty atmosphere while keeping an aggressively kitch sensibility. His use of visual cues may even bridge the gap between Adam West, Frank Miller and the Nolan-verse.

batman2.jpg

Sallokin

Does anyone know what the Satoshi Kon short is about? It seems like something to do with the Scarecrow and his crazy mind fuck style would are tailor made for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom