• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I can't seem to find the last firefighter in Founders Island.

There's one that's a bit hard to find on that island, I don't know the exact location, but gonna spoiler tag it for you and you let me know if you already did this or not.

There's one in the lower roads where you find a few riddler trophies and the location for Pyg's hideout, there's a breakable wall that you have to take out with the Batmobile by pulling it with a power winch and when you enter there's a firefighter in there. It's near a store that's all I remember.

valkyre

I finished the game. 100%. Loved the entire ending presentation.

And generaly the game is very well made but it has some very serious issues that prevent it -imho- from being considered a masterpiece.

The extreme overuse of Batmobile is troublesome. The "trial and error" nature of a lot of side stuff including AR challenges is also a nuisance.

I believe the game could have a lot less batmobile BS (that really is more akin to a GTA game rather than a Batman title) and would be much better.

All in all though I enjoyed it, it had great presentation (although the robotic walking/running of Batman is pretty much the exact same since Arkham Asylum...) , I thought the story was mostly great (minus the Arkham Knight character who is -amazingly- a very big disappointment) , sound was spot on and gameplay as always varied and fun.

Nice way to close the trilogy.

But fuck that overused batmobile shit.

SomTervo

likely similar to the vibe i get - that a number of batmobile fans were being (& continue to be) seriously disingenuous in 'not being able to understand' how inserting a particular type of mechanic into a series that'd never featured it, & making that mechanic mandatory for a sizable (as in, 1:3 ratio) portion of the game, how this could possibly seriously detract from a number of series fans enjoyment of the game...

all one need do is choose a type of gameplay mechanic one isn't personally fond of, & imagine it being inserted into the latest iteration of a personal favorite series (in a 1:3 ratio). there! - not so much fun, right? :) ...

I wasn't being disingenous if that's what you're insinuating. It said right there in my post that it's fair enough if people feel that way, and I was probably off the mark.

Your argument, however, does sound a bit facetious. Plenty of sequels to legendary games have added new mechanics, often with a more than 1:3 ratio, and been great. Some nostalgic fans might be bothered, but the original games remain if they want to go back. For example: new aiming system + almost all action encounters in Resident Evil 4. Open world in Arkham City. Action-style aiming and controls in MGS4. 3D movement controls in Zelda, Mario. Seafaring in Assassin's Creed.

It's not as simple as "people dislike abundant new gameplay or mechanics in a sequel". I mean, look at the Arkham Series' progression. Especially only in Rocksteady's games. So if we ruled out the Batmobile as an option:

- Arkham Asylum: set the framework. Batman's movement, combat, gadget mechanics.
- Arkham City: as above, but in large open world.
- Arkham Knight: ... bigger world, but still all on-foot? Ability to swap to 'Bruce Wayne mode'? Ability to play other Bat-allies, eg Robin, Batgirl, who all control/play basically the same?

There aren't many options that makes sense for 'what you can add' to Arkham City. And of course, a massive part of Batman's character is the Batmobile. It's one of his primary, and most powerful, gadgets. Rocksteady wanted to make the ultimate Batman game, and of course you can't ignore the mobile when you think of 'ultimate Batman'.

I like it a lot, although I don't think I'm really going to enjoy it until I've got the 1989 skin. Also I don't think we can have an 'ultimate' Batman simulator until we can drive through the holographic wall into the Bat cave :p

I think we might be the only people who like
Drill Boss
I thought it was pretty cool.

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty heart-pumping, not too difficult, etc.

I am really pissed right now. I just got the Arkham Knight's Identity spoiled on Wikipedia of all places.

I just purchased a couple Batman books on Amazon (Year One and Killing Joke) and was just checking out a couple character's wikipedia pages and went to Jason Todd and right there was Arkham Knight under his aliases.

I guess shame on me, I should have just put my head in the sand on all Batman until I beat it but I have not had a lot of time to play lately with my three month old taking all my time right now.

That's a bummer man, but seriously there are other twists and good developments in the game.

To be honest, that's the worst one. It's obvious who the Arkham Knight is from less than an hour into the game, and the story only makes it more obvious halfway through. It's one of the most disappointing character reveals I've ever seen.

There are other plot lines that are way more interesting/exciting that you should still press ahead for.

I really don't understand why those weird controls are the default. I guess the idea is that you quickly jump into and out of battle mode?

That's the way Sefton Hill explained it during one of the E3 stage demos he attended. Sounds good in theory, but i also changed to the alternative control scheme as soon as possible. Also, it's incredible how much easier the final Riddler race and the
drill boss
are in first person mode. Both had me raging hard during my initial playthrough and then i beat them on my first attempt in NG+, using first person view.

TP-DK

This game keeps crashing on me on PS4. The first time it kept happening at the intro movie, then I reinstalled it and everything worked fine, but now it crashes at the loading screen.

SomTervo

Question about the riddler collectables.

I can't find any more thugs to interrogate on Bleake Island. Why is that? Do I have to start collecting things on other islands and then come back? Same with Panessa studio, I don't have any riddle stuff marked in there.

The Riddler stuff is the only thing I have left. And it's so tideous. Ugh. Wish you could free roam with any character to get them.

I think this has happened to me. Does anyone have an answer?

I interrogated all the thugs on Miagani and Bleake, and have all the Riddler items on those. 100% on both islands.

But on Founder's Island, no more thugs are showing up to interrogate, but I still have 6-7 Riddler items on the list to find. There are no green thugs spawning anywhere so I can't reveal where they are, and really don't relish the thought of exploring the entire map inch to inch to find them.

Although something just struck me – I do recall Riddler informant thugs showing up on other islands and revealing secrets elsewhere. Maybe we should swoop around Miagani and Bleake a bit to see if any informants appear on those islands, who can reveal Founders/Bleake's trophies for us.

This game keeps crashing on me on PS4. The first time it kept happening at the intro movie, then I reinstalled it and everything worked fine, but now it crashes at the loading screen.

Shit man, I'm on PS4, played for 30+ hours, and haven't had a single crash. Call support and they might talk you through clearing some of the memory cache or something to dodge the glitch.

I think this has happened to me. Does anyone have an answer?

I interrogated all the thugs on Miagani and Bleake, and have all the Riddler items on those. 100% on both islands.

But on Founder's Island, no more thugs are showing up to interrogate, but I still have 6-7 Riddler items on the list to find. There are no green thugs spawning anywhere so I can't reveal where they are, and really don't relish the thought of exploring the entire map inch to inch to find them.
In the south of founders island check the underground subway part, I'm not sure how you get in but there's a blue icon on the map showing where the entrance to the area is. It confused me cause the ones in there don't count to the tally on the map screen and I could never get any information from thugs but they do count towards the founders island trophies.

SomTervo

In the south of founders island check the underground subway part, I'm not sure how you get in but there's a blue icon on the map showing where the entrance to the area is. It confused me cause the ones in there don't count to the tally on the map screen and I could never get any information from thugs but they do count towards the founders island trophies.

Damnit! So basically the Founders Island map is split in two (overground and underground sections) but the map/game doesn't tell you that.

Brilliant tip. Thank you!

So uh, grain of salt and all that, but if a user from the WBGames forum is to be believed, not only is the Burton batmobile confined to the racetrack only (which is understandable), but so is the suit.

Kinda hoping it's bullshit. Would be a monumentally stupid decision if true.

So uh, grain of salt and all that, but if a user from the WBGames forum is to be believed, not only is the Burton batmobile confined to the racetrack only (which is understandable), but so is the suit.

Wait wait wait. The suit, too? No, that would be too stupid. They couldnt seriously do that, right? :(

There's one that's a bit hard to find on that island, I don't know the exact location, but gonna spoiler tag it for you and you let me know if you already did this or not.

There's one in the lower roads where you find a few riddler trophies and the location for Pyg's hideout, there's a breakable wall that you have to take out with the Batmobile by pulling it with a power winch and when you enter there's a firefighter in there. It's near a store that's all I remember.

Yep this is the one that I had to look up on Youtube. The final mission wouldnt unlock even though I had completed the minimum requirements so I finished off the firefighter one (which did the trick) but this one just stumped me for the longest time.

SomTervo

Technically we can still transform to battle-mode while on the Racetrack right? Or does it lock out battle mode? The only way this is believable is if battle mode is locked out on the racetrack - that way the user could be right. The engine/game design wouldn't miss the battle mode not being there.

But IIRC we can still, if we want to, go into battle mode on the race track. I mean, in complicated engines like this they'd probably have to rework loads of code to account for the battle mode option not being there, and account for a load of missing animations for it. I might be totally wrong, but it seems pretty odd to design a whole new vehicle skin and only give it half the functionality.

The suit bit is especially shit, and I hope none of it is true.

WHAT? That wouldn't make any sense.

You know at first I readily excused them for not putting the keaton batmobile in free roam. It would be a lot of work to incorporate battle mode into it and then theyd also have to worry about the new collision model functioning with all the puzzles and fitting in all the right spaces in the game.

But you know what? The season pass is a whopping $40. That's two thirds the cost of a second game. So stop fucking around and put the damn work in, Rocksteady. Even if the cannon just clips through the top of the car.

And there's no excuse to not have the keaton batsuit in free roam. The only special work they have to worry about is animating the helmet for scenes in which he takes it off. All they gotta do is cut the model into parts for the animation rig. Or they could even just not do it and let it clip his face a little when he pulls it off. Who is going to care if the choice is between that or not having it at all?

NIN90

Sooo disappointing that there are only three of the linear sections(plus ACE Chemicals which more or less served as a tutorial) in the game. Seems like they blew their load on the open world which frankly does nothing for me. Asylum remains the best entry in the series just for that reason.

SomTervo

The season pass is $40?

Ahahahahaha, no way WB. As much as I love Burton's Batman (it's the best) but this is ridiculous.

Even worse is that in other currencies it's exchanged horribly.

In the UK it's £33, which is about $51.50. It's almost a whole new game. And apprently the content is just not matching up.

I'll be buying the Burton skins individually. If, that is, they work with the entire experience. Which I think they will, personally.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just got pas the part where
the Batmobile gets destroyed by the digging machine

How much of the game is left? I'm thinking about calling the quits and trading it is, its just not much fun. I hate the melee and car combat.

Ephemeris

How much of the game is left? I'm thinking about calling the quits and trading it is, its just not much fun. I hate the melee and car combat.

Push forward. Soon there to the end. From there it kicks it up a notch storywise.

That would be forever terrible.

I wasn't being disingenous if that's what you're insinuating. It said right there in my post that it's fair enough if people feel that way, and I was probably off the mark.

Your argument, however, does sound a bit facetious. Plenty of sequels to legendary games have added new mechanics, often with a more than 1:3 ratio, and been great. Some nostalgic fans might be bothered, but the original games remain if they want to go back. For example: new aiming system + almost all action encounters in Resident Evil 4. Open world in Arkham City. Action-style aiming and controls in MGS4. 3D movement controls in Zelda, Mario. Seafaring in Assassin's Creed.

It's not as simple as "people dislike abundant new gameplay or mechanics in a sequel". I mean, look at the Arkham Series' progression. Especially only in Rocksteady's games. So if we ruled out the Batmobile as an option:

- Arkham Asylum: set the framework. Batman's movement, combat, gadget mechanics.
- Arkham City: as above, but in large open world.
- Arkham Knight: ... bigger world, but still all on-foot? Ability to swap to 'Bruce Wayne mode'? Ability to play other Bat-allies, eg Robin, Batgirl, who all control/play basically the same?

There aren't many options that makes sense for 'what you can add' to Arkham City. And of course, a massive part of Batman's character is the Batmobile. It's one of his primary, and most powerful, gadgets. Rocksteady wanted to make the ultimate Batman game, and of course you can't ignore the mobile when you think of 'ultimate Batman'.

I like it a lot, although I don't think I'm really going to enjoy it until I've got the 1989 skin. Also I don't think we can have an 'ultimate' Batman simulator until we can drive through the holographic wall into the Bat cave :p

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty heart-pumping, not too difficult, etc.

That's a bummer man, but seriously there are other twists and good developments in the game.

To be honest, that's the worst one. It's obvious who the Arkham Knight is from less than an hour into the game, and the story only makes it more obvious halfway through. It's one of the most disappointing character reveals I've ever seen.

There are other plot lines that are way more interesting/exciting that you should still press ahead for.

I think the batmobile only really gets annoying when you're doing ALL the side quests. If you don't, it's actually really fucking cool. The problem is a lot of the sidequests are repetitive shit when it comes to the batmobile so their frustration is justified I think.

With that said, I do agree with you. This would have been Arkham City 2 if they didn't add a new mechanic and that mechanice was the batmobile.

strafer

I hope that doesn't include the other season pass suits.

Many people hate the car combat so that's understandable but if you hate the melee combat then maybe the game just isn't your style. If you're already that far into it and still not feeling it, I don't think the rest will change your mind. You are pretty far along, though. If you're up to it, you're close to the end.

I'd say play a little while longer and then make the choice. The story is about to pick up a bit and if that still does nothing for you, ditch it while the value is still high.

Also keep in mind that finishing the Scarecrow plot concludes that storyline and has its own ending, but does not conclude the game. For that true ending you need to complete a bunch of side missions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

How could the suit be confined to the racetrack? you wouldn't even see it.

AgentP

Many people hate the car combat so that's understandable but if you hate the melee combat then maybe the game just isn't your style. If you're already that far into it and still not feeling it, I don't think the rest will change your mind. You are pretty far along, though. If you're up to it, you're close to the end.

I'd say play a little while longer and then make the choice. The story is about to pick up a bit and if that still does nothing for you, ditch it while the value is still high.

Also keep in mind that finishing the Scarecrow plot concludes that storyline and has its own ending, but does not conclude the game. For that true ending you need to complete a bunch of side missions.

Cool. I like the non-combat but this boss fight that never seems to end it getting to me. Last night I was trying to get past the part with
AK and his sniper rifle. I got to the part with the timer and room with gas and failed to figure out where to go then it threw me back into the part before with all the guys walking around. That was the last straw for me. I hate replaying parts I finished, especially when they are so annoying.

But if I can push through and see an ending maybe I will at least be able to say I finished. Every time one of these Batman games comes out I get caught in the hype.

Ace001

I enjoyed the car combat but really struggled with the melee. But to platinum the game I had to learn it for a certain trophy. Now I really love it... Unfortunately I've finished the game though

dankir

. I hate the melee and car combat.

you hate the fighting mechanics? It's the best part of the game and all the Arkham games in general.

I love the combat system it's so simple and intricate. I just started the game a few nights ago and played the AR challange to get your combo over 50X, I got 84 on my first try.

In fact getting gold on those challenges in Asylum and City were my favorite parts of the games.

The AR challenges...my god.... where are my damn challenge rooms? What the fuck is this? They took out the replay value of the old Batman games because of those missions?

graffix13

So to get all the Riddler's trophies/riddles to show on the map, I have to interrogate the guys in green, correct?

If all have been unlocked for that area, will he refuse to tell me and then want to fight me?

TheMAK

Banned
Cool. I like the non-combat but this boss fight that never seems to end it getting to me. Last night I was trying to get past the part with
AK and his sniper rifle. I got to the part with the timer and room with gas and failed to figure out where to go then it threw me back into the part before with all the guys walking around. That was the last straw for me. I hate replaying parts I finished, especially when they are so annoying.

But if I can push through and see an ending maybe I will at least be able to say I finished. Every time one of these Batman games comes out I get caught in the hype.

Lol same thing happened to me there...just lower the game difficulty to Easy and get done with it (and set it back to normal/hard afterwards . Finally finished the main story last night...gosh that was insanely awesome...!!!!!

AgentP

Lol same thing happened to me there...just lower the game difficulty to Easy and get done with it (and set it back to normal/hard afterwards . Finally finished the main story last night...gosh that was insanely awesome...!!!!!

Good idea!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You guys ever heard of/used Rakuten.com before? They are offering Batman: AK for $37.99 with Visa Checkout & Code VISASUMMER (Free Shipping).

I want to order, but want to make sure they ship to the states and won't fuck me over.

VanWinkle

You guys ever heard of/used Rakuten.com before? They are offering Batman: AK for $37.99 with Visa Checkout & Code VISASUMMER (Free Shipping).

I want to order, but want to make sure they ship to the states and won't fuck me over.

I bought CoD Ghosts from them about a year ago when they were selling it for $5. Worked totally fine.

You know at first I readily excused them for not putting the keaton batmobile in free roam. It would be a lot of work to incorporate battle mode into it and then theyd also have to worry about the new collision model functioning with all the puzzles and fitting in all the right spaces in the game.

But you know what? The season pass is a whopping $40. That's two thirds the cost of a second game. So stop fucking around and put the damn work in, Rocksteady. Even if the cannon just clips through the top of the car.

And there's no excuse to not have the keaton batsuit in free roam. The only special work they have to worry about is animating the helmet for scenes in which he takes it off. All they gotta do is cut the model into parts for the animation rig. Or they could even just not do it and let it clip his face a little when he pulls it off. Who is going to care if the choice is between that or not having it at all?

Yeah, even if the other Batmobiles were only available during post-game free-roam, and/or it locked you out of doing any missions at all, it'd still be worth the trouble just to be able to drive them around.

I agree with whoever said rudimentary tank-mode models/animations should'e been added though. At the very least, the classic Batmobiles are said to have unique features from their source material. Still would prefer they be usable elsewhere. I'm also fairly certain the skins with that DLC will be available outside the tracks — that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Had my first proper glitch today falling catwoman. After
riddler final exam when he goes through the floor so did she lol

https://youtu.be/yuMg9iy_4YQ

You end up in control of her but can't do anything cept send her off screen

Neat. I had a glitch where a duplicate Nightwing appeared standing next to the original Nightwing. Even though there was no prompt (the fight was over), I tried hitting L1 and it worked. I walked Nightwing over to Nightwing.

Pressed A to talk to Nightwing, the words came out of my Nightwing instead. I switched back to Batman and took him to a different part of the building and pressing L1 still shot me all the way back into Grayson. Couldnt get him out of the building, though.

Assuming that this game is in fact the last game for this visualization of the batman, I'd love to see them make another sandbox game like this one, in the style of Batman: TAS. (Sleek and retro set design and characters, no more gritty sets and overly muscled design). Or maybe an "elseworlds" batman.

Above all, I'd hate to see a game tie in with the zack Snyder batman we'll be suffering through next summer.

Ephemeris

I walked Nightwing over to Nightwing.

Pressed A to talk to Nightwing, the words came out of my Nightwing instead. I switched back to Batman and took him to a different part of the building and pressing L1 still shot me all the way back into Grayson. Couldnt get him out of the building, though.

Catelyn-catelyn-tully-stark-22809921-500-204.gif

This is why I've already gone back to playing Origins and City.

It's not convenient, but if you take out militia outpost/watchtowers and skip destroying their computer consoles or transmitters, they'll respawn once you leave the area and come back. That requires playing through the game again if you've already beaten them all though.

Adding that as a standalone mode would be good in addition to actual challenge maps.

I finally played the harley quinn dlc today and it felt really good to play, way too short but everything a batman game needs was there, it was indoors, it had a nice feel to it and NO BATMOBILE.

I really like this game (and all the batmobile stuff) but the lack of challenge maps is not acceptable. What were they thinking?

it's going to be DLC, they know what they are doing to milk their audience :/

Top Bottom