• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

Here's the breadth of change we are looking at by doing a game for this war.

1914 French troops. The colors worn are blue coats/upper stuff and red pants. Very Napoleonic and early modern style. From the time of long lines of infantry facing off.

1920px-Guarding_subway_entrance%2C_Paris_%28LOC%29.jpg

1917 French troops. Notice the helmets and the uniforms have become sort of blueish-grey.

French Heavy Cavalry off to war. Notice the armored breastplates. Like I said, Napoleon would not have felt out of place leading this army despite being active almost 100 years before this.

Here you have German Hussars (light cavalry) in the early part of the war.

And by the end of the war a German army kit could look like this. Very much an aesthetic associated with WWII.

What's makes the war such a fascinating study and setting is that in four years, Europe moved from the Napoleonic early times to modern times. The army that left was early modern and the army that came back was modern.

I'm excited. WWI has been ignored by video games for too long!

As it should be in the shooter genre. Unless a lot of creative liberties are taken, we will be stuck with a lot of clunky weaponry or boring game design. This is DICE that we are talking about after all.

Best wishes.

People saying WW1 is "boring" (which is an absolutely moronic opinion regardless) or a bad setting for a Battlefield game obviously haven't seen the pretty awesome team based WW1 fps Verdun. It's already a great WW1 shooter

oh my god I didn't know about this game. The trailer is amazing. This with planes, tanks and such would be just mind blowing. Please do this dice. Even if it's just a spinoff/expansion like 1943

Very very unfortunate news.

I'm so glad the AAA industry moved away from older eras for shooters and I dug the modern shooter aesthetic. It could be worse, I guess. It could have been a WW2 shooter.

Hmm kinda iffy on the WW1 setting, don't get me wrong it's a fascinating timeperiod im just skeptical if it could be fun from a gameplay standpoint. Now WW2 on the other hand....I wanna see that in the latest frostbite.

Barrykins

Neo Member
Are you aware that WW1 isn't just western front ?

At other fronts you also had mountain warfare. Imagine battlefield with rock falls, avalanche, snow and extreme cold also in play.

And other fronts with sand and shit:

Yeah if people read up on WW1 they realize trench warfare was more of western front type tactic.

At one time I would have been in the same position saying "No way this will work." Now, having visited the National World War I Museum in Kansas City, I could totally see how something like this is possible. If you are ever in that area, I'd recommend visiting the museum. I was never big on WWI history and it was very interesting.

That being said I don't think they'll do this with Battlefield as a numbered sequel. Too risky.

At one time I would have been in the same position saying "No way this will work." Now, having visited the National World War I Museum in Kansas City, I could totally see how something like this is possible. If you are ever in that area, I'd recommend visiting the museum. I was never big on WWI history and it was very interesting.

That being said I don't think they'll do this with Battlefield as a numbered sequel. Too risky.

I find it hard to be true as well. I really want it to be but didn't they just finish Battlefront and Hardline was pretty recent too. A multiplayer like this would need some time in the oven I think.

Pastry

Banned
We have been explicitly told the next game is Battlefield 5 and as people have mentioned there is no way they do something like this as a "mainline" game. If they ever do it'll be one of the inbetween games.

HelloMeow

Hmm kinda iffy on the WW1 setting, don't get me wrong it's a fascinating timeperiod im just skeptical if it could be fun from a gameplay standpoint. Now WW2 on the other hand....I wanna see that in the latest frostbite.

Exactly. WW1 would be kinda limiting compared to WW2.

Winchester M1897 Trench gun with a bayonet attached.

Oooooh boy, I would have too much fun juking bolt action fire and clearing out trenches.

k180775_Winchester1897Trench%252Bbayo.jpg

Hermii

Battlefield: A series known for its vehicular combat.

WW1: A war known for infantry fighting and artillery bombardements.

I guess they got some primitive tanks later on but. Um. Attacking heavily fortified positions on foot where the defence has a huge advantage over the offence doesn't sound like a fun battlefield game.

No helicopters, YES to bi-planes.

We shall see.

smh at everyone rushing for the zeppelin spawn

I would love to see this become something like a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe-style game, where historical accuracy in terms of what battles happened when and who deployed what technology is abandoned or toned down in favour of what-if scenarios that allows for a wider range of combat situations using technology that saw only limited use during the actual war.

oh my god I didn't know about this game. The trailer is amazing. This with planes, tanks and such would be just mind blowing. Please do this dice. Even if it's just a spinoff/expansion like 1943

Verdun is a great game dude. You should check it out if you like team based, hard core FPSes like Red Orchestra. It kinda makes me feel a bit bad for the Verdun team tho, cause they have built this game from a free browser based game into what it is now, they've put so much work into it, from a tiny team of only a few guys, and now this Dice game will probably kill them if it proves popular

NoPiece

Battlefield: A series known for its vehicular combat.

WW1: A war known for infantry fighting and artillery bombardements.

I guess they got some primitive tanks later on but. Um. Attacking heavily fortified positions on foot where the defence has a huge advantage over the offence doesn't sound like a fun battlefield game.

Meet Manfred, perhaps the most famous pilot of all time.

Yeah no. Not happening. I see no reason for them to go so far back in time. Especially to an era without a number of things that makes Battlefield Battlefield. Especially especially with Infinity Ward making this year's CoD. They actually have a chance this year to overtake Activision, or come close.l, at least get really big numbers. They're not gonna do that in WW1. Especially especially especially with the fact that they had to create a new asset set from scratch with Battlefront leading to a semi rushed title, and now people expect that again? Not happening.

BlueWord

World War 1? Unless the series deviates pretty significantly from either history of its own gameplay roots, I don't see how they're going to make that work.

mcz117chief

DICE redeemed if true. WW1 is the most intense scenario I can imagine (besides some obvious engagements from other wars) and I have been longing for a good WW1 game for a long time. Red Orchestra style in WW1 would be incredible!

This also means no more wub-wubz and back to glorious orchestral music <3

Yes! No more farting noises, please!

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah no. Not happening. I see no reason for them to go so far back in time. Especially to an era without a number of things that makes Battlefield Battlefield. Especially especially with Infinity Ward making this year's CoD. They actually have a chance this year to overtake Activision, or come close.l, at least get really big numbers. They're not gonna do that in WW1. Especially especially especially with the fact that they had to create a new asset set from scratch with Battlefront leading to a semi rushed title, and now people expect that again? Not happening.

I feel like the average consumer wouldn't even associate a certain bad COD with a studio just with the series as a whole. That being said Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 did great so I think those who left after Ghosts would be back by now.

Doofcake

Yes please! I've always wanted a decent AAA WW1 game. There's a few okay-ish indie games out there, but none of them are very good. I hope this is true. Would make me really glad that big publishers are willing to go in interesting new directions (like Primal and now this)

NoPiece

I agree, but it isn't because WWI is missing anything necessary to make a good battlefield game. It has cars, tanks, planes, automatic weapons, snipers, battleships, aircraft carriers, zeppelins. Pretty much everything except missiles. It won't happen because most people don't know anything about WWI, and assume it was fought like and 18th century war, not a 20th century war. Seems like too risky for EA. Would be great if it happened.

Lingitiz

If they're doing this it's a good way to get me interested in the series again. Before 3 Battlefield games used to be such a big deal...then 4 came out so quickly and Hardline was a dud.

Top Bottom