• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

Lulu23

Would have liked Vietnam or WWII more but this has potential if it is true (which I don't think it is just because of some store listing).

Nodnol

I can't see WW1 working for Battlefield. WW2 offers greater variety in terms of vehicles, whether that be land, sea or air.

I'm longing for a current gen AAA WW2 shooter.

ElRenoRaven

I'd be all over this. WW1 & WW2 games need to make a comeback. Been tired of this future and modern combat shit for a long long while now.

Nikodemos

The Great War could work, as long as the campaign was laid out chronologically and jumped around the world. The Western Front should be the very last place you fight in, since it was only in late-1917 - 1918 when things started actually going somewhere. Otherwise, the missions should be located in the East, the Orient and Africa.

I still don't understand why they don't do one map ww1, one map ww2, one vietnam, one current day, one future, etc. I have to believe eventually they will do this but it just seems like the answer to alot of problems. Eliminate the single player, create the engine and just do different time periods within the game. Seems like a simple solution that would make alot of people happy. I'd like it.

The Great War could work, as long as the campaign was laid out chronologically and jumped around the world. The Western Front should be the very last place you fight in, since it was only in late-1917 - 1918 when things started actually going somewhere. Otherwise, the missions should be located in the East, the Orient and Africa.

There's no reason you can't have campaigns set in the opening weeks of the war in the west, before the static war set in. Even then, you there were still large attacks, even if they didn't achieve too much. But realistically, Battlefield and CoD campaigns see you crossing like, a few hundred meters or a km at most per mission, while you stop and have shooting galleries from time to time. I can definitely see there being at least one mission where you defend against a pointless assault, and at least one more mission where you're seeing Gas deployments. They're iconic things you'd have at least once.

I'd be interested in doing German campaign in the West or East. You could even have Australian / New Zealander missions lol.

I'd be all over this. WW1 & WW2 games need to make a comeback. Been tired of this future and modern combat shit for a long long while now.

Yeah, especially the COD games after Black Ops 1 with their jet packs and other futuristic sci-fi perks just passed me by. Booooring.

Missing the point. This will be there big Fall title coming off of 10mil Battlefront. That is seemingly being given the " 5" monicker. This isn't a Hardline "Eh, throw Battlefield on it and it'll move some copies." This will be their flagship game for the year.

Well... yeah... and my point is that alone is why it will sell. I have no idea what you're trying to say anymore?

Lets overanalyze all Harker posts. This was from a topic in December asking about hopes for Battlefield 5. He said:

Revisionist history ww2

What if it's WW1/2 in setting but completely made up by Dice. Their own locations and battles and whatnot. Am I close?!

Have it start bright and clean with the old world romanticism of war, then have it degrade into the madness as more and more modern weaponry is rolled out.

There is a ton of potential with both the single player and multiplayer.

How are some of you still saying that WWI was only trenches? I haven't really enjoyed an FPS since World at War and I think WWI would be a perfect setting. If done right, which in all likelihood will not happen, it would bring the genre back for me.

If it's true then rush mode in the game will be amazing.

10/10 would imagine again.

Have it start bright and clean with the old world romanticism of war, then have it degrade into the madness as more and more modern weaponry is rolled out.

There is a ton of potential with both the single player and multiplayer.
Yes. YES. YES.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The First World War is my most studied historical topic. I find it fascinating, and I never tire of consuming books, podcasts and documentaries about the subject.

Having said that, I would much rather a shiny and new current-gen Vietnam or WW2 battlefield game. I know they've been done before, but there's just so much more variety in weapons and vehicles.

PLUS BF:Vietnam had the dopest soundtrack ever. Cranking CCR while cruising around in a Huey never got old.

Khezu

I haven't been interested in playing any kind of shooter in 10+ years, but the thought of AAA WW1 game made by DICE is just weird enough for me to try it.

Well... yeah... and my point is that alone is why it will sell. I have no idea what you're trying to say anymore?

I'm saying that it won't sell to the degree that a mainline title will be expected to sell. You can't just slap Battlefield on anything and expect it to sell. Casual audience isn't going to jump at a title so far out of their comfort zone regardless of name.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm saying that it won't sell to the degree that a mainline title will be expected to sell. You can't just slap Battlefield on anything and expect it to sell. Casual audience isn't going to jump at a title so far out of their comfort zone regardless of name.
If DICE really did drop an insanely profitable modern setting in favor of WWI, then you can bet the house that trailer and reveal are going to drop jaws.

There's no way they change course unless this new thing is dynamite.

Trailers and marketing is how BF3/4 rose so high when CoD was reigning supreme. DICEA muscled in on that turf through compelling marketing. The games are also awesome, but since Bad Company 2 they've been so good at cutting gameplay trailers that get people hyped and talking.

kendrid

Banned
I still don't understand why they don't do one map ww1, one map ww2, one vietnam, one current day, one future, etc. I have to believe eventually they will do this but it just seems like the answer to alot of problems. Eliminate the single player, create the engine and just do different time periods within the game. Seems like a simple solution that would make alot of people happy. I'd like it.

That is an insane amount of weapons to balance. It isn't simple at all.

If DICE really did drop an insanely profitable modern setting in favor of WWI, then you can bet the house that trailer and reveal are going to drop jaws.

There's no way they change course unless this new thing is dynamite.

Trailers and marketing is how BF3/4 rose so high when CoD was reigning supreme. DICEA muscled in on that turf through compelling marketing. The games are also awesome, but since Bad Company 2 they've been so good at cutting gameplay trailers that get people hyped and talking.

Fine point here!

Proxy

I'm okay with this. The setting will slow the game down but having to appeal to a broader audience will keep it from being too "hardcore". Besides I've grown exhausted of shooters with a million different guns and a equally ridiculous number of attachments.

NJDEN

I feel like anyone who has a background in history and anyone who has played at least a few of the Battlefields would know how unreasonably insane this sounds...

World War II would be the earliest. Variability of firearms as well as the tactics / battlefields of the period are not conducive to a mainstream Battlefield game. I'm having a hard time seeing it as even a spin off. I'm not saying a World War I fps wouldn't work, but it has no place as a Battlefield IP.

The First World War is my most studied historical topic. I find it fascinating, and I never tire of consuming books, podcasts and documentaries about the subject.

Having said that, I would much rather a shiny and new current-gen Vietnam or WW2 battlefield game. I know they've been done before, but there's just so much more variety in weapons and vehicles.

PLUS BF:Vietnam had the dopest soundtrack ever. Cranking CCR while cruising around in a Huey never got old.

Can you recommend any documentaries or books for someone like me thats a novice?
Would love to learn some stuff if this rumor is true.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Guess I'm one of the odd ones that just cannot stand going back again to a time where the market was flooded with these games. Would love to see another 2142.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Can you recommend any documentaries or books for someone like me thats a novice?
Would love to learn some stuff if this rumor is true.

Start with Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon" podcast. Covers a ton of ground and everyone on GAF loves it.

Apocalypse: World War One is a cool five-part documentary series with lots of rare footage, available on YouTube as well!

Books, well, there's a billion. Personal faves are

The Great War - Peter Hart
The Somme - Peter Hart
The Guns of August - Barbara Tuchman
The War That Ended Peace - Margaret MacMillan
Storm of Steel - Ernst Jünger

Start with Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon" podcast. Covers a ton of ground and everyone on GAF loves it.

Apocalypse: World War One is a cool five-part documentary series with lots of rare footage, available on YouTube as well!

Books, well, there's a billion. Personal faves are

The Great War - Peter Hart
The Somme - Peter Hart
The Guns of August - Barbara Tuchman
The War That Ended Peace - Margaret MacMillan
Storm of Steel - Ernst Jünger

Will definitely utilize the weekend for this stuff. Appreciate it bro

This can be crazy if they translate the madness that was WW1 into a really dirty, really physical, really intense shooter. The imagery of 1914 machinery, garb, and locations. The tanks, biplanes, horses, bayonets, swords, grenades, trenches, flamethrowers, artillery, tanks, etc. all on the same battlefield with no lock on tech, no OP launchers, less on screen indication, less visibility, etc. I'm shocked that people can't see the potential in this game and really think it would be matches consisting entirely of stalemate firefights.

J-Rzez

There isn't nearly enough content to be a Battlefield game. The tanks were garbage, the firearms were relatively limited (in which some carried over into early WW2), you had horses (some of these in WW2 though lol), but the planes could be awesome. Thousands upon thousands of miles of trenches and gas warfare.

I can't see this fitting the Battlefield formula. WW2, obviously can and would work as a BF game though, and still have the romantic gloom to be found in those times. The variety of weapons, vehicles, and settings would be there.

It'll end up be something futuristic, and I will be upset because i'm tired of modern, near-future, and future-future games. Only thing plausible is that they will release content packs for this game in different eras, which would be kind of interesting. And that they have TitanFall 2 coming out within a year as well which is obviously future-future setting so maybe they wouldn't saturate the market.

El_Chino

When they have Battlefront in their wheelhouse, DICE probably has a bit more leeway with Battlefield.

It's just pure facts though, unless this an alternate-universe kind of WW1, there's just simply not enough content to make it a typical Battlefield game.

I'll gladly eat crow though if I'm proven wrong. Will we have to wait until E3 for a reveal?

IvanJ

Banned
I can't believe so many people here are excited about WWI setting. It promises to be insanely boring, with horrible weapons and horrible fights. What will we have, pigeons instead of drones or a 32v32 mode in which both sides sit in a trench for 30 minutes?
Plus it just screams a sales bomb, people don't want to play these games. There's a reason nobody makes WW2 games anymore, and this is twice as uninteresting.
Also, why change the winning formula? They made so much money with these last few games, are they willing to throw it all away and chase everybody towards CoD?

It's a stupid idea, and I hope it's not true. And it probably isn't. It would be a franchise suicide.

I can't believe so many people here are excited about WWI setting. It promises to be insanely boring, with horrible weapons and horrible fights. What will we have, pigeons instead of drones or a 32v32 mode in which both sides sit in a trench for 30 minutes?
Plus it just screams a sales bomb, people don't want to play these games. There's a reason nobody makes WW2 games anymore, and this is twice as uninteresting.
Also, why change the winning formula? They made so much money with these last few games, are they willing to throw it all away and chase everybody towards CoD?

It's a stupid idea, and I hope it's not true. And it probably isn't. It would be a franchise suicide.

Laying it on a bit thick there.

Top Bottom